LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Hit my Goal!! Now what??

Today I got on the scale and it was 175.5 (which I will count as goal! I'm thrilled! But now what? I'm not sure this is my ultimate goal, but I'm not sure if I should lose more, or how much more. According to those darn charts technically at 5'5" with a large frame I shouldn't weight more than 155. And currently my BMI is still in the overweight category.

On the other hand, I'm wearing a size 10 Levis, my waist size is 31, which is well under the max of 35 for a woman, and most important my man does like a little something to grab onto LOL

Even in high school when I looked good I was over 150. So I'm not sure what to do. For anyone who is now maintaining, what were your guidelines. Did you just go by how you looked and felt? It's all a bit confusing!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
You could always lose a few more pounds (10-15) and if you don't like how you look/feel then you can always gain it back. In a healthy low-carb way of course That's my plan for when I make goal (160) but thinking I'll go down to 145. We shall see.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
My guideline was to go back to what I used to weigh before so it was easy to pick a number. I was going to go back to my old jeans size but with vanity sizing I had to go down 2-3 sizes at the same weight.

Have you had lab tests done recently? How's your health at that size? Are you able to run up 2 flights of stairs, bend down to tie your shoes, run around, lift heavy things? Do YOU feel comfortable?
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
My original goal was 175. I'm 5'9" and that's the high end of healthy for my frame. I got there and wasn't really happy with my body, so I lowered my goal to 160. I'm pretty close to that now, but I've added exercise and I'm actually not losing as well with the exercise.

I decided to do a practice maintenance and just see what happens. I would be happy to lose another few pounds, or even down to 150 if I feel so inclined, but I'm also happy if I just stay this weight and things start shifting and toning due to the exercise.

Ultimately, I think if you feel good and are happy with your appearance, that's the weight you should call goal.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Have you had lab tests done recently? How's your health at that size? Are you able to run up 2 flights of stairs, bend down to tie your shoes, run around, lift heavy things? Do YOU feel comfortable?
Yes, actually I did have lab tests in the last couple of months and my numbers have been great. My blood pressure has also gone down. I go back to see the doc next week, so I'm going to ask her opinion as well.

Right now I feel so much better and I'm not huffing and puffing on walks, etc. My DH says I look great (of course he would say that no matter what, LOL)
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling View Post
Yes, actually I did have lab tests in the last couple of months and my numbers have been great. My blood pressure has also gone down. I go back to see the doc next week, so I'm going to ask her opinion as well.

Right now I feel so much better and I'm not huffing and puffing on walks, etc. My DH says I look great (of course he would say that no matter what, LOL)
That all sounds good. I'm one of the unlucky ones where I can't be anywhere but the bottom of the BMI chart for my height because otherwise I have a double chin, chipmunk cheeks, big belly, and feel uncomfortable.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
All I can say is that if it were me, I would buy myself a new bike Congrats! Keep it up! Actually, they say that you should reward yourself, but not with food or alcohol/drugs, with something that can be used in a positive way. Like a bike
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
All I can say is that if it were me, I would buy myself a new bike Congrats! Keep it up! Actually, they say that you should reward yourself, but not with food or alcohol/drugs, with something that can be used in a positive way. Like a bike

Gosh I don't know how long it's been since I've ridden a bike - other than stationary. But a reward of some sort sounds like a good idea!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
First of all, congrats. Take the time to celebrate this achievement. Good job reaching your goal.

I am 5'7" and I'm shooting for an ultimate goal of 155 for health reasons. I want to be in a healthy range. I will then start eating at maintenance levels. If my body wants to lose more at that point, it will, or if it doesn't it won't.

You have to decide what is right for you. We are all different.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: domesticbliss
Stats: 221/188/a fit 160 @ 5'7''
WOE: Atkins/Calorie Control
Start Date: January 2012; Restart 11/13
I have a specific number in my head that I want to get to, but now when I look back at pictures of me when I was at that weight I think "ooh I was too skinny!"
So I told myself that at some point if I was happy with my body but not at my goal weight, I would stop losing weight.

If you're happy where you are maybe focus on building some muscle, you may not drop down in numbers anymore but you can get smaller and more compact with exercise.

Congrats btw!
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jm23
Stats: 183/179/145
WOE: Low Carb
If you're happy I would say continue on to maintainence and maintain that weight. If you lose more that would just be a bonus. I've found maintaining just as hard as losing at times, so I it probably wouldn't hurt to just keep on doing LC and being healthy and happy at this weight or lower.
jm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
When I got to the point where strange men started hitting on me in public, I figured I was close to goal. Just need to get rid of a couple of inches on my waistline now, so pants will fit me better.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I can't Wait to get to goal! I'm about 11-16Lbs away from goal! That's either 145 or 140. I'm Almost 5'5 and I'm guessing med boned? Wrists are pretty thin but I have no clue how to determine all that Lol. i'm 156 right now and people keep telling me to quit losing weight because i'm already Skinny. Well Ok but They don't see me naked! Lol!! I carry a lot of fat around my stomach area so that will go away more when i'm cleared to exercise again. I am still considered Over weight and want to get to a normal range and tone up.

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/1/01
Quote:
On the other hand, I'm wearing a size 10 Levis, my waist size is 31, which is well under the max of 35 for a woman, and most important my man does like a little something to grab onto LOL
Congrats to you, job well done! I say, if you feel good and are happy with your stats, then you made it , girl!
Shimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm23 View Post
If you're happy I would say continue on to maintainence and maintain that weight. If you lose more that would just be a bonus. I've found maintaining just as hard as losing at times, so I it probably wouldn't hurt to just keep on doing LC and being healthy and happy at this weight or lower.
I definitely agree that maintaining is just as hard, or harder, than actually losing! And I will continue this low carb WOE for sure, because not only have I lost weight, but getting rid of wheat and sugar has gotten rid of my heart burn as well as all my stomach problems I was having. So this is a permanent change!! But this time around, my weight loss will also be permanent!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
Enjoy your accomplishment, keep eating healthy and see where it takes you!
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
My DH says I look great (of course he would say that no matter what, LOL)
You do look great so consider this to be an unsolicited second opinion. DH is right

Quote:
but getting rid of wheat and sugar has gotten rid of my heart burn as well as all my stomach problems I was having.
Getting rid of wheat in my life has made such a dramatic change too. Heartburn, joint pain, headaches, sinus issues and on and on.

Quote:
According to those darn charts technically at 5'5" with a large frame I shouldn't weight more than 155. And currently my BMI is still in the overweight category.

Even in high school when I looked good I was over 150. So I'm not sure what to do. For anyone who is now maintaining, what were your guidelines. Did you just go by how you looked and felt? It's all a bit confusing!
Those charts are guidelines at best. Your husband likes the way you look, you like the way you look, you like the way you feel, you know that you look and feel better about yourself at this weight than some arbitrary chart number.

Question answered

I was reading just recently about the travesty that the BMI chart is but I can't remember the article or I'd give you a google search phrase. Anyway, of all the standardized junk to be leery of, the BMI scale is at the top of the list.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Congratulations on your fabulous accomplishment!

I think you should go by how you feel and the status of your health. If you and your doctor are happy with your health, and you are happy with how you look and feel, then by all means you should 'maintain.'

Like the many varied lc plans on this board, there are many varied desired end results. Once you've met yours, it's time to enjoy the benefits of all your hard work!
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
well done that is a real achievement. I know that personally I have a number that once I have reached I don't want to go over again, so my plan is to get about 5lbs or so under that so I have a bit of leeway. Having got to goal once (on another plan) I know that for me maintaining was harder than losing as the motivation is different and people don't seem to support as much - I mean when I was losing I constantly got comments like 'oh your looking well and you've lost some more I can tell' but once you are there people don't say how good it is you have maintained for 6 months. I know it isn't about other people but it was something that helps keep me going when I am losing.

Aug - Dec 13 > 18lb
Jan - Mar 14 > 9lb
total loss since Sep > 27lb
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
I'd say, if you're happy with what you see when you look in the mirror, then you are at goal! Screw the BMI charts (which don't take into considering "little" things like muscle mass), do what makes YOU happy - especially if your blood work agrees!

Now, the hard work begins: maintenance. It lasts longer (hopefully ) without the rewards of watching the scale go down. "Yay! It says the same thing today as it did yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that" isn't nearly as rewarding as "Yay! 3 lbs down from last week!", but it's a lot more work (for me).

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You do look great so consider this to be an unsolicited second opinion. DH is right
Aww, thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquirsw View Post
Having got to goal once (on another plan) I know that for me maintaining was harder than losing as the motivation is different and people don't seem to support as much - I mean when I was losing I constantly got comments like 'oh your looking well and you've lost some more I can tell' but once you are there people don't say how good it is you have maintained for 6 months. I know it isn't about other people but it was something that helps keep me going when I am losing.
Totally agree with that. I think part of it is that the attention keeps you motivated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giJ View Post
Now, the hard work begins: maintenance. It lasts longer (hopefully ) without the rewards of watching the scale go down. "Yay! It says the same thing today as it did yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that" isn't nearly as rewarding as "Yay! 3 lbs down from last week!", but it's a lot more work (for me).
I agree that maintenance is harder - which is probably why I've always gained some back. But not this time!!

Thanks Everyone!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Congratulations on reaching goal

I picked my goal from the weight I felt/looked the best at in my late 20's early 30's - in maintenance I continue to eat the exact same way as I did when I was losing, may be just a little more some days.

Just go with what feels best to you and your body and of course your hubby LOL
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I started this journey with an arbitrary number in mind for a goal. Loosely based it on age, height, BMI etc. The journey was rather long and convoluted because of some thyroid, diabetes and cardiac issues. I reached that original goal and decided to go for a little lower one. I guess I'm letting my body decide where it feels best. I don't really have a do or die number in mind. My labs are all perfect right now, I have lots of energy for an old lady, and I love the size I'm in and the way that size looks on my old lady body. I still eat exactly the same way I did and my body seems to be settling into where it wants to be. So I think I'll let it. Maybe it will help if you maintain for awhile and see how you feel? Great job on reaching your goal!
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"

Last edited by teri f; 01-18-2013 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
Well, great job on reaching goal. I'd get a reward, but not sure what. And then I'd maintain for a period of time and see how I felt. Do I want to lose more weight? Do I like it where I am at? And go from there. On second thought, I would get a new bike too. I'm interested in a Trek Lush. I test rode one and it was the best.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
Enjoy your accomplishment, keep eating healthy and see where it takes you!
Congrats and I agree with this! Since it doesnt look like you are doing a specific plan, keep doing what you are doing, maybe add some things in one at a time like berries or nuts or whatever LC thing you have been holding off on. Watch the scale and see how it goes. You never know where you will end up!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Quote:
Gosh I don't know how long it's been since I've ridden a bike - other than stationary. But a reward of some sort sounds like a good idea!
PONY!!!!

Plus, you will never have to worry about eating again because you won't be able to afford food

Last edited by creseis; 01-18-2013 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: added
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Flake
Stats: 225
Quote:
PONY!!!!

Plus, you will never have to worry about eating again because you won't be able to afford food
Yep, aint that the truth.

I want to replace my bike in the fall....anyone have 5k I can borrow

Turns out to be the best gym ever though!!!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
PONY!!!!

lol
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

So after taking a week and reflecting, evaluating, and talking to my doc, I have decided that trying to get into the 160's would be a good weight for me. So I updated my goal to 169 for now. I will evaluate again once I get there. I think part of it is that it gives me more motivation if I have a number to still reach for - at least for now. I know that won't work forever and eventually I will have to maintain! And even if I only lose a pound or 2 a month for a while, it's a goal!