Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: someonelikeyou
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-Start January 2014
Ways to make yourself eat breakfast?

I am a notorious breakfast skipper... I have never liked it. I remember my dad always trying to get me to "eat a good breakfast" in high school. Now my husband says the same...

I've noticed, however, that when I am eating L-C, skipping breakfast can be a problem. I will eat mid-afternoon, and that just starts a domino of eating and eating some more as my kids come home, after-school snacks, prepare dinner, serve dinner, after-dinner snacks... I'm eating all L-C stuff, but, I think, eating too much.

I'd like to get to the point of 3 meals/2 snacks as outlined in the new Atkins book. I just can't seem to get there...

Any help for starting with breakfast and keeping to that plan??? Thanks!!!

Restart 6 January 2014 at 212.8 lbs.
Goal 1: 199 (under 200 lbs.) 2/24/14
Goal 2: 189 (out of the 190s)
Goal 3: 178 (half-way to goal weight)
Goal 4: 174 (BMI no longer "obese")
Goal 5: 144 (desired weight)
someonelikeyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Not that this is any help - but I almost always skip "breakfast" when I'm on low carb. I have a mug of green tea with HWC, CO and splenda and I find that I really don't think about food until around lunch time.

My eat, eat, eat mode kicks in around 3pm. I just keep plenty of LC snacks on hand to combat that. Lately I've found that eating half an avocado really helps kick the eaty monster to the curb.
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jannybunny
Stats: 175/110/115 restart 187/146/130
Start Date: 1/4/2008 restarted for the last time 1/3/2013
I rarely eat anything in the morning. I'm just not hungry. I feel there is no need to force myself to eat. I listen to what my body tells me. If I'm hungry I'll eat, if not then I wait
Jannybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
If it's breakfast food you don't care for, remember that breakfast can be whatever you want it to be. I don't think you should eat just for the sake of eating, but maybe the better plan would be to have something that satisfies you without starting a binge.
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
How about a nice big coffee with h.wc. and coconut oil?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I don't "eat" for breakfast - I drink a cup of coffee w/ HWC.
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I don't know why, but on LC I am rarely hungry in the AM.
I am like you, though. Once I eat it seems to be hard to stop.
I am restarting so am not sure if this pattern will hold but in my past I was very successful on LC by making myself wait 4 hours between meal/snacks.
I just tried to get busy.
I found that making sure I had adequate fat really helped.
Maybe your body doesn't want breakfast?
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
When I was making myself eat breakfast on lowcarb (now I just do coffee with cream), I found it easier to face cold food than hot food. My staples were
1) deviled eggs (prepared the night before)
2) Plain Greek yogurt with some berries and slivered nuts
3) Cottage cheese eaten over sliced tomato and drizzled with olive oil

They are easy and quick and sustaining.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Don't force yourself to eat if you don't want to.

I've been skipping breakfast for over a year now. Lost my last 15 pounds and have been at my goal weight ever since. Haven't keeled over, either.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I am rarely hungry in the morning but most days I do try to make myself eat.

bacon! I can always eat bacon some days an egg but most days no.
or piece of sausage

I do this cause if I don't eat, I noticed come mid morning when hungry I need to eat quantity of food to fill up. overeating just like you mentioned.

While I am not a fan of early morning eating, for me I found it is best to have something. even if small, then a few hrs later a little something else.

then when I do eat for real I am not ravenous.

think small.
poached egg
scrambled egg

fry enough bacon to reheat
same with sausage
hard boiled eggs (make at least 6 to have in fridge)

it doesn't have to be much.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rainypep
Stats: 228(242-highest)/154/Prego #3/125
WOE: my plan
Start Date: 3/9/06
If you eat a lot in the afternoon or evening, you may not be hungry in the morning. You could try to reset yourself by fasting for one dinner or some such so you would be hungry in the AM, it might work if you are trying to change your pattern.
Rainypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I have an Atkins Day Break chocolate protein drink...I don't like breakfast very much either and I take meds that have to be taken with food. I kinda feel like the drink helps me with the meds yet doesn't make me feel like crap.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
For me, I do a lot better when I do skip breakfast (it's part of intermittent fasting--I do fast-5, but there are lots of ways to IF).

I have a little heavy cream in my coffee and then I eat lunch at 11 am and dinner at 4 pm, and that's it for the day. If I get hungry in the evening, I have coconut oil.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
I don't exactly skip breakfast, I just eat it late - usually between 11 and 1 pm. At breakfast time, I tend to just have a couple of large black coffees, then eggs and bacon later. That keeps me going until my evening meal, between 4 and 7 pm, depending on how hungry I am - and then that's it for the day.

If you don't eat breakfast at breakfast time, that's fine - just go with what feels right for you!
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
I'm not hungry the second I roll out of bed, but know I need to eat something fairly soon upon rising. That's one of the reasons I work out first thing in the morning - by the time I'm done, I've worked up an appetite. I agree with the sentiment that breakfast food can be absolutely anything you want it to be - i.e., not necessarily scrambled eggs all the time. Anything low-carb and filling that sounds good works!
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I'm not hungry in the morning either, but if I don't eat a little something, I find myself eating all afternoon/evening.

And like a previous poster said, don't limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods. Yesterday I had chicken fajitas (w/o tortilla) for breakfast. I like eggs, but I like to change it up now and then.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelikeyou View Post
I am a notorious breakfast skipper... I have never liked it. I remember my dad always trying to get me to "eat a good breakfast" in high school. Now my husband says the same...

I've noticed, however, that when I am eating L-C, skipping breakfast can be a problem. I will eat mid-afternoon, and that just starts a domino of eating and eating some more as my kids come home, after-school snacks, prepare dinner, serve dinner, after-dinner snacks... I'm eating all L-C stuff, but, I think, eating too much.

I'd like to get to the point of 3 meals/2 snacks as outlined in the new Atkins book. I just can't seem to get there...

Any help for starting with breakfast and keeping to that plan??? Thanks!!!

my idea is to eat a small dinner, mostly protein and you will be starving also dont eat late
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Don't force yourself to eat when you are not hungry! I don't eat breakfast either. I have coffee with CO, and I eat my first meal between 1-2pm. I just let my body tell me when to eat. I have found I am so much more at peace with not having to think about what to eat all of the time.
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Let me start by saying that the recommendation to always eat a good breakfast to "get your metabolism going" is not proven scientific fact and there are actually quite a lot of studies that have been done that suggest it may be the WRONG way to go about weight loss and better health for some people. I spent a long time making myself have breakfast every morning because that's what I thought was "right."

But the bottom line is that everyone is different, so what's right for some is not going to be right for others. I've found that not eating breakfast is better for me. I have so much more energy in the morning and I am alert and thinking clearly. I also eat less throughout the day. It seems like when I have breakfast it just starts the ball rolling down hill and I can't stop and I end up grazing all day or having 4 or more actual meals.

If eating breakfast helps curb your appetite through the rest of the day then by all means, do it. But if you try it out and it doesn't help with that then don't force yourself to eat when you don't want to.

If you DO decide to start having breakfast, don't get hung up on eating "breakfast foods." You can eat whatever the heck you want, when you want! I had been known to eat buffalo chicken wings, steak and veggies or salads for breakfast! I really love bacon and eggs, but now I eat it for dinner
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I use breakfast as a way to procrastinate going to work early.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I made it a priority & changed the order I do things.

Breakfast now comes before putting makeup on, getting ready for work or for the day.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
IDK about forcing breakfast. I have been just eating coffee with hwc for breakfast. So then I have lunch AT 11. I am hungry by then. But I usually have a small something (like two slices of ham with some cream cheese or coconut oil on it, or two eggs and 1 slice of bacon) and then I eat every two hours something small. Plan my "snacks" with my sons eating habits. So when I pick him up at 5:30 we eat dinner...a snack for me a meal for him. We sit AT the table and eat. Not watch TV, etc. I also always sit and just eat and concentrate on each bite. I don't multi task when eating is involved. No mindless eating. And then another "snack" right before bed. (I go to bed around 8.) You need to work with what you currently do and tweak it. I found I like to eat with my son, so I just plan my snacks for late in the day and work with it. DH understand and doesn't think I am starving myself.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
The bulletproof coffee is a good idea, I use 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil and 2 tbsp of heavy cream in my travel mug, wizz it up with my latte frother... it`s yummy. Also, I like to make a bunch of sausages on the weekend then I can grab and go during the week. You can also use a muffin tin, put in random veggies, cheese, meats, pour beaten eggs and cream over, and bake for fast easy egg muffins you can grab on the way out the door. Sometimes I just nuke 2 eggs with cream while I`m blow drying my hair. All fast and easy things.

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I did notice that I function better all day when I eat breakfast. It really made a noticeable difference.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
I use breakfast as a way to procrastinate going to work early.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I can't eat breakfast and I've been this way all my life- the smell of food is just off putting early in the day. And, I do really well with just a coffee in the morning and lots of water- keeps me alert and not hungry for hours.

What about cooking some bacon when you want to eat breakfast? It sounds silly but whenever my friend is at my house and I start cooking bacon and eggs (usually around noon) he says that he isn't hungry about half the time but once I start making it he says the smell makes him hungry so now he just says I'm not hungry but once you start cooking I know I will be so make me some.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannybunny View Post
I rarely eat anything in the morning. I'm just not hungry. I feel there is no need to force myself to eat. I listen to what my body tells me. If I'm hungry I'll eat, if not then I wait
I totally agree with this, I'm NEVER hungry before about 11:00 in the morning so why would I force myself to eat, makes no sence to me . I actually eat more during the day when I DO eat breakfast, it's like eating makes me hungry. I have my morning coffee and am fine until lunch.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I never force myself to eat. That is what contributed to my weight problem to begin with. I really do pay attention to what my body wants. I go through times when I'm hungry when I wake up and so I eat. Other times I don't get hungry until way late in the afternoon. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the pattern. I've just learned to eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I try to not over think it too much.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote