Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Ways to make yourself eat breakfast? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794703-ways-make-yourself-eat-breakfast.html)

someonelikeyou 01-17-2013 01:23 PM

Ways to make yourself eat breakfast?

I am a notorious breakfast skipper... I have never liked it. I remember my dad always trying to get me to "eat a good breakfast" in high school. Now my husband says the same...

I've noticed, however, that when I am eating L-C, skipping breakfast can be a problem. I will eat mid-afternoon, and that just starts a domino of eating and eating some more as my kids come home, after-school snacks, prepare dinner, serve dinner, after-dinner snacks... I'm eating all L-C stuff, but, I think, eating too much.

I'd like to get to the point of 3 meals/2 snacks as outlined in the new Atkins book. I just can't seem to get there...

Any help for starting with breakfast and keeping to that plan??? Thanks!!!

Britt1975 01-17-2013 01:29 PM

Not that this is any help - but I almost always skip "breakfast" when I'm on low carb. I have a mug of green tea with HWC, CO and splenda and I find that I really don't think about food until around lunch time.

My eat, eat, eat mode kicks in around 3pm. I just keep plenty of LC snacks on hand to combat that. Lately I've found that eating half an avocado really helps kick the eaty monster to the curb.

Jannybunny 01-17-2013 01:37 PM

I rarely eat anything in the morning. I'm just not hungry. I feel there is no need to force myself to eat. I listen to what my body tells me. If I'm hungry I'll eat, if not then I wait

JMacB 01-17-2013 01:40 PM

If it's breakfast food you don't care for, remember that breakfast can be whatever you want it to be. I don't think you should eat just for the sake of eating, but maybe the better plan would be to have something that satisfies you without starting a binge.

clackley 01-17-2013 02:16 PM

How about a nice big coffee with h.wc. and coconut oil?

floridagirl6 01-17-2013 02:22 PM

I don't "eat" for breakfast - I drink a cup of coffee w/ HWC.

Patkid 01-17-2013 02:30 PM

I don't know why, but on LC I am rarely hungry in the AM.
I am like you, though. Once I eat it seems to be hard to stop.
I am restarting so am not sure if this pattern will hold but in my past I was very successful on LC by making myself wait 4 hours between meal/snacks.
I just tried to get busy.
I found that making sure I had adequate fat really helped.
Maybe your body doesn't want breakfast?

svenskamae 01-17-2013 02:45 PM

When I was making myself eat breakfast on lowcarb (now I just do coffee with cream), I found it easier to face cold food than hot food. My staples were
1) deviled eggs (prepared the night before)
2) Plain Greek yogurt with some berries and slivered nuts
3) Cottage cheese eaten over sliced tomato and drizzled with olive oil

They are easy and quick and sustaining.

limetwist 01-17-2013 02:45 PM

Don't force yourself to eat if you don't want to.

I've been skipping breakfast for over a year now. Lost my last 15 pounds and have been at my goal weight ever since. Haven't keeled over, either. ;)

Trigger828 01-17-2013 03:10 PM

I am rarely hungry in the morning but most days I do try to make myself eat.

bacon! I can always eat bacon :) some days an egg but most days no.
or piece of sausage

I do this cause if I don't eat, I noticed come mid morning when hungry I need to eat quantity of food to fill up. overeating just like you mentioned.

While I am not a fan of early morning eating, for me I found it is best to have something. even if small, then a few hrs later a little something else.

then when I do eat for real I am not ravenous.

think small.
poached egg
scrambled egg

fry enough bacon to reheat
same with sausage
hard boiled eggs (make at least 6 to have in fridge)

it doesn't have to be much.

Rainypep 01-17-2013 07:40 PM

If you eat a lot in the afternoon or evening, you may not be hungry in the morning. You could try to reset yourself by fasting for one dinner or some such so you would be hungry in the AM, it might work if you are trying to change your pattern.

That Girl 01-17-2013 09:24 PM

I have an Atkins Day Break chocolate protein drink...I don't like breakfast very much either and I take meds that have to be taken with food. I kinda feel like the drink helps me with the meds yet doesn't make me feel like crap.

tiva 01-17-2013 11:43 PM

For me, I do a lot better when I do skip breakfast (it's part of intermittent fasting--I do fast-5, but there are lots of ways to IF).

I have a little heavy cream in my coffee and then I eat lunch at 11 am and dinner at 4 pm, and that's it for the day. If I get hungry in the evening, I have coconut oil.

Darkginger 01-18-2013 01:27 AM

I don't exactly skip breakfast, I just eat it late - usually between 11 and 1 pm. At breakfast time, I tend to just have a couple of large black coffees, then eggs and bacon later. That keeps me going until my evening meal, between 4 and 7 pm, depending on how hungry I am - and then that's it for the day.

If you don't eat breakfast at breakfast time, that's fine - just go with what feels right for you!

SugarFreeSheila 01-18-2013 06:10 AM

I'm not hungry the second I roll out of bed, but know I need to eat something fairly soon upon rising. That's one of the reasons I work out first thing in the morning - by the time I'm done, I've worked up an appetite. I agree with the sentiment that breakfast food can be absolutely anything you want it to be - i.e., not necessarily scrambled eggs all the time. Anything low-carb and filling that sounds good works!

Meli-Mel 01-18-2013 06:14 AM

I'm not hungry in the morning either, but if I don't eat a little something, I find myself eating all afternoon/evening.

And like a previous poster said, don't limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods. Yesterday I had chicken fajitas (w/o tortilla) for breakfast. I like eggs, but I like to change it up now and then.

LCdave 01-18-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someonelikeyou (Post 16202396)
I am a notorious breakfast skipper... I have never liked it. I remember my dad always trying to get me to "eat a good breakfast" in high school. Now my husband says the same...

I've noticed, however, that when I am eating L-C, skipping breakfast can be a problem. I will eat mid-afternoon, and that just starts a domino of eating and eating some more as my kids come home, after-school snacks, prepare dinner, serve dinner, after-dinner snacks... I'm eating all L-C stuff, but, I think, eating too much.

I'd like to get to the point of 3 meals/2 snacks as outlined in the new Atkins book. I just can't seem to get there...

Any help for starting with breakfast and keeping to that plan??? Thanks!!!

my idea is to eat a small dinner, mostly protein and you will be starving also dont eat late

LadyN 01-18-2013 07:22 AM

Don't force yourself to eat when you are not hungry! I don't eat breakfast either. I have coffee with CO, and I eat my first meal between 1-2pm. I just let my body tell me when to eat. I have found I am so much more at peace with not having to think about what to eat all of the time.

evas 01-18-2013 01:50 PM

Let me start by saying that the recommendation to always eat a good breakfast to "get your metabolism going" is not proven scientific fact and there are actually quite a lot of studies that have been done that suggest it may be the WRONG way to go about weight loss and better health for some people. I spent a long time making myself have breakfast every morning because that's what I thought was "right."

But the bottom line is that everyone is different, so what's right for some is not going to be right for others. I've found that not eating breakfast is better for me. I have so much more energy in the morning and I am alert and thinking clearly. I also eat less throughout the day. It seems like when I have breakfast it just starts the ball rolling down hill and I can't stop and I end up grazing all day or having 4 or more actual meals.

If eating breakfast helps curb your appetite through the rest of the day then by all means, do it. But if you try it out and it doesn't help with that then don't force yourself to eat when you don't want to.

If you DO decide to start having breakfast, don't get hung up on eating "breakfast foods." You can eat whatever the heck you want, when you want! I had been known to eat buffalo chicken wings, steak and veggies or salads for breakfast! I really love bacon and eggs, but now I eat it for dinner :D

creseis 01-18-2013 03:12 PM

I use breakfast as a way to procrastinate going to work early.

DiamondDeb 01-18-2013 07:14 PM

I made it a priority & changed the order I do things.

Breakfast now comes before putting makeup on, getting ready for work or for the day.

sya_unit 01-18-2013 07:29 PM

IDK about forcing breakfast. I have been just eating coffee with hwc for breakfast. So then I have lunch AT 11. I am hungry by then. But I usually have a small something (like two slices of ham with some cream cheese or coconut oil on it, or two eggs and 1 slice of bacon) and then I eat every two hours something small. Plan my "snacks" with my sons eating habits. So when I pick him up at 5:30 we eat dinner...a snack for me a meal for him. We sit AT the table and eat. Not watch TV, etc. I also always sit and just eat and concentrate on each bite. I don't multi task when eating is involved. No mindless eating. And then another "snack" right before bed. (I go to bed around 8.) You need to work with what you currently do and tweak it. I found I like to eat with my son, so I just plan my snacks for late in the day and work with it. DH understand and doesn't think I am starving myself.

Avy 01-18-2013 07:33 PM

The bulletproof coffee is a good idea, I use 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp coconut oil and 2 tbsp of heavy cream in my travel mug, wizz it up with my latte frother... it`s yummy. Also, I like to make a bunch of sausages on the weekend then I can grab and go during the week. You can also use a muffin tin, put in random veggies, cheese, meats, pour beaten eggs and cream over, and bake for fast easy egg muffins you can grab on the way out the door. Sometimes I just nuke 2 eggs with cream while I`m blow drying my hair. All fast and easy things.

DiamondDeb 01-18-2013 08:16 PM

I did notice that I function better all day when I eat breakfast. It really made a noticeable difference.

at_last 01-19-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16204947)
I use breakfast as a way to procrastinate going to work early.

:laugh:

nolcjunk 01-19-2013 07:26 AM

I can't eat breakfast and I've been this way all my life- the smell of food is just off putting early in the day. And, I do really well with just a coffee in the morning and lots of water- keeps me alert and not hungry for hours.

What about cooking some bacon when you want to eat breakfast? It sounds silly but whenever my friend is at my house and I start cooking bacon and eggs (usually around noon) he says that he isn't hungry about half the time but once I start making it he says the smell makes him hungry so now he just says I'm not hungry but once you start cooking I know I will be so make me some.

Becky 01-19-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jannybunny (Post 16202431)
I rarely eat anything in the morning. I'm just not hungry. I feel there is no need to force myself to eat. I listen to what my body tells me. If I'm hungry I'll eat, if not then I wait

I totally agree with this, I'm NEVER hungry before about 11:00 in the morning so why would I force myself to eat, makes no sence to me :dunno:. I actually eat more during the day when I DO eat breakfast, it's like eating makes me hungry. I have my morning coffee and am fine until lunch.

teri f 01-20-2013 08:41 AM

I never force myself to eat. That is what contributed to my weight problem to begin with. I really do pay attention to what my body wants. I go through times when I'm hungry when I wake up and so I eat. Other times I don't get hungry until way late in the afternoon. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the pattern. I've just learned to eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I try to not over think it too much.