Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Favorite form of protein? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794679-favorite-form-protein.html)

CurveControl 01-17-2013 09:17 AM

Favorite form of protein?

I prefer beef, but chicken is a close second. Not a huge fan of most pork because the pork I like is processed, I don't like pork chops or pork roasts much. Least favorite would be seafood in general, though there are some forms that I don't actively dislike.

You?

trishthedish 01-17-2013 09:40 AM

I don't think I've met a protein I didn't like (except for lamb... yuck!).

I think beef would would win top honors (especially Rib Eye), pork would be second (helloooo bacon and pork roast), seafood (shrimp, scallops, and cod, oh my!), chicken, and eggs would finish respectively.

gladee88er 01-17-2013 09:53 AM

1. Eggs 2. Chicken 3. Meatloaf 4. Whey protein powder.

nolcjunk 01-17-2013 10:02 AM

Eggs and roasted chicken.

Dottie 01-17-2013 10:03 AM

Steaks, chicken then eggs. Same about pork, it's not a favorite but I do like a well cooked pork chop once in a great while.

svenskamae 01-17-2013 10:04 AM

Liver (all kinds), shellfish, triple cream cheeses.

CurveControl 01-17-2013 10:15 AM

TRIPLE cream cheese? Tell me more.......

Britt1975 01-17-2013 10:18 AM

Beef, Pork, Seafood, Chicken, Eggs

Meli-Mel 01-17-2013 10:24 AM

Beef-chicken (including eggs)- seafood- pork

ravenrose 01-17-2013 10:26 AM

I've never figured out what it is about beef that people find so appealing. Is it conceptual? Surely not the taste!

I am not big on meat, preferred being vegetarian. But I had to add meat to my diet because of health reasons. Pork and chicken are my staples. I don't find the others very interesting.

Trigger828 01-17-2013 10:29 AM

beef tenderloin is tops
ribeyes and all next
crab legs are to die for along with shrimp etc.
pork roast, chops, ribs and the rest
chicken comes in last

Trigger828 01-17-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16201907)
I've never figured out what it is about beef that people find so appealing. Is it conceptual? Surely not the taste!

I am not big on meat, preferred being vegetarian. But I had to add meat to my diet because of health reasons. Pork and chicken are my staples. I don't find the others very interesting.

uh, it is the taste. you either like it or not. I love it :jumpjoy:

One thing I never understood is how people who are vegetarians and can stand highly behind their decision to do so and then flip and justify adding in meats. (I am not referring to you personally!) just makes me wonder.

I guess it is whatever one feels like at the moment.

svenskamae 01-17-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger828 (Post 16201921)
uh, it is the taste. you either like it or not. I love it :jumpjoy:

One thing I never understood is how people who are vegetarians and can stand highly behind their decision to do so and then flip and justify adding in meats. (I am not referring to you personally!) just makes me wonder.

I guess it is whatever one feels like at the moment.

I changed from being a vegetarian, after 40 years, to eating meat because I am very carb sensitive and cannot lose weight unless I substitute meat for things like whole grains and legumes. I still rely heavily on dairy and fish, but a common source of protein that is fully vegetarian is soy, and I avoid that because of thyroid issues.

In becoming a vegetarian initially, I was motivated by the "Diet for a Small Planet" reasoning of feeding more of the world's people and less environmental impact. After being diagnosed as borderline diabetic and finding it impossible to lose weight while eating vegetarian, I decided I couldn't sacrifice my health to those principles, but I stood behind them for most of my adult life. It wasn't easy for me to make the change, and if I hadn't lost weight while eating meat, I would have gone right back to being a vegetarian.

CurveControl 01-17-2013 10:46 AM

I do not know what you mean by conceptual. I googled to be sure I was understanding the word an that it didnt have meanings i am unaware of, and it doesn't so It is taste. I don't love all beef but most of it.

Dottie 01-17-2013 10:55 AM

I love a good steak. If that's a "concept" so be it :laugh:

evas 01-17-2013 10:59 AM

Another vote for beef! My 2 favorites are rib eye and prime rib (which are unfortunately 2 of the more expensive cuts so I don't actually get to eat them all that often). Second, I love a good pork chop (and basically all of the other pork products out there). Then eggs and chicken comes in after that. Unfortunately, although chicken is on of my least favorites it is the one I eat the most often just because around here it's the cheapest option (as far as meat goes) and that plays into my menu a lot. I think it is also the most versatile. I really like fish/seafood and eat it when I go out but rarely cook it at home.

marieze 01-17-2013 11:00 AM

Love my protein!!!

Lamb chops, seafood, beef, triple cream brie, chicken!!! :love:

nolcjunk 01-17-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurveControl (Post 16201955)
I do not know what you mean by conceptual. I googled to be sure I was understanding the word an that it didnt have meanings i am unaware of, and it doesn't so It is taste. I don't love all beef but most of it.

I think she means the idea of eating steak. I would think this stems from not eating fatty cuts of beef because of being on a lower fat diet and then really looking forward to eating those kinds of meats on a low carb diet that were off limits before. So just the pleasure of knowing that those things can be in the included in the diet and the mental satisfaction.

But, i am not Ravenrose, it's just how I interpreted what she said.

LCdave 01-17-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurveControl (Post 16201710)
I prefer beef, but chicken is a close second. Not a huge fan of most pork because the pork I like is processed, I don't like pork chops or pork roasts much. Least favorite would be seafood in general, though there are some forms that I don't actively dislike.

You?

love red meat, then eggs, then pork, then chicken and then seafood. Dont use a lot of powders now.

millergirl1976 01-17-2013 11:28 AM

It's all in the prep really- but I am a carnivorous chick...

Grilled, medium rare rib eye, fried bacon, slow cooked pork shoulder, roasted skin-on, bone-in chicken, sauteed shrimp... yeah, I cant choose just one.

limetwist 01-17-2013 11:32 AM

Pork shoulder and prime rib are my top two contenders. They are INCREDIBLY close. I don't know if I could choose my favorite. I find this quite amusing, because pork shoulder is one of the absolute cheapest cuts of meat out there, and prime rib runs as one of the priciest. ;)

I also love chicken. And eggs. And whey protein. Umm...suffice it to say, I love protein. Not a big seafood fan, though I do eat canned tuna. I feel like canned tuna is its own specimen separate from seafood, though. :P

rose1 01-17-2013 11:34 AM

Does tofu count? :D No? Ok, then eggs.

CurveControl 01-17-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rose1 (Post 16202082)
Does tofu count? :D No? Ok, then eggs.

YES! Tofu is a great source of protein! One of my favorites, I just don't know how to prepare it properly!

I am hit/miss with eggs. I don't dislike them, but they are not top 5 either.

clackley 01-17-2013 02:20 PM

Lobster although it is a rarity. Bacon is a close second and after that, any shell fish, salmon, lamb, beef, pork, liver, cheese - really love it all!!:yummy:

emel 01-17-2013 02:38 PM

Triple cream cheeses are delicious, somewhat exotic cheeses.
Some bries. My favorite, D'Affinois. Husband's favorite, Delice di Borgoine.
There's double-cream cheeses, too.
Either way, be prepared for sticker shock. But a little dab will do you, so it's not so bad.

Favorite proteins:
-steak. rare
-chicken thighs
-good cheese.
-shellfish, especially oysters and crab
-pork belly, braised and then seared so there's a crust
-sashimi. Usually tuna.
-venison. rare.
-big greasy burger, medium rare
-eggs
-bacon
-pot roast
-lamb
-salmon
-pork chops or loin roast

There's more.
ETA.. forgot pulled pork bbq. That would be right above pot roast.

gymnut56 01-17-2013 02:53 PM

1. Beef...all types
2. Chicken
3. Pork
4. Seafood

Amber_Baby 01-17-2013 02:54 PM

My top five would be:

Salmon (cooked or smoked)
Chicken
Steak
Gammon
Eggs

Seafood such as prawns, crayfish, scallops, squid and crab are also up there. :)

chelseybelle27 01-17-2013 03:59 PM

pork or pot roast in the crock pot, beef, chicken, then fish/seafood.

Mondaygirl 01-17-2013 04:43 PM

Number 1 for me is beef, all kinds of beef really (except organ meat, ick), then chicken, then eggs, then pork. And I have to admit, I am a huge huge fan of cottage cheese. Never thought I would feel that way, but there it is...

(For example: 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, splash of HWC, blend the lot until is beautifully evenly purple and enjoy. :yummy: Blueberry mousse that is too die for!)

floridagirl6 01-17-2013 04:49 PM

Chicken
Salmon
Beef
Eggs

Don't eat much pork ( including bacon) and don't eat lamb at all,