Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What do you do for fluid replacement if you have the flu? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794627-what-do-you-do-fluid-replacement-if-you-have-flu.html)

ergowoman 01-16-2013 04:34 PM

What do you do for fluid replacement if you have the flu?

I do not have it yet (knock wood) but I know that if I get it, all electrolyte solutions contain sugar. I would rather not have Gatorade around, but I will, if necessary. I remember reading that some carbs are necessary when dealing with dehydration. What is your collective wisdom?

Mrs S 01-16-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ergowoman (Post 16200307)
I do not have it yet (knock wood) but I know that if I get it, all electrolyte solutions contain sugar. I would rather not have Gatorade around, but I will, if necessary. I remember reading that some carbs are necessary when dealing with dehydration. What is your collective wisdom?

I got through it over Thanksgiving AND Christmas with lots of ginger tea and peppermint tea and a little stevia. It still sucked but at least I didn't get dehydrated.

I think there are some sugar-free gatorades you could try and there's an unflavored pedialyte, not sure if it's LC friendly though.

svenskamae 01-16-2013 04:43 PM

Just water may work for you. I just did a quick web search and found a recipe credited to Dr. Bernstein, of any sugar-free beverage (e.g., Crystal light, Kool-Aid made with splenda), adding to one quart the following:
1/2-1 t. table salt (for sodium and chloride)
1/4 t. salt replacement (for potassium and chloride)

My personal choice would be chicken broth seasoned with regular salt and salt substitute.

I might drink Zevia (Stevia sweetened) ginger ale if I were nauseated, or seltzer with a slice of lime, too.

If you want a pre-prepared drink with electrolytes, there's Powerade Zero (no carbs, sweetened with splenda).

thealything 01-16-2013 04:46 PM

there are definitely sugar free electrolyte drinks. G20 I think is very low carb. I also found Emergen-C packets at my corner store that have electrolytes and no sugar.

you can also try bone broth since that stuff has lots of minerals and sodium too.

ergowoman 01-16-2013 05:44 PM

Wow, thanks for the information

I checked Walgreens in my city and there was nothing sugar free, but now I have some options. Thanks

JustMe2 01-16-2013 05:55 PM

There is PowerAid Zero that you could drink. But with the flu, I would go with the broth.

GME 01-16-2013 06:00 PM

I like Poweraide Zero, but it is awfully "flavorful" to drink if you are sick. It would be for me anyway. You could water it down I suppose.

There are quite a few powdered SF "sports" drinks now. Pedialyte is a good idea too. That's what it is made for.

GirlKickinIt 01-16-2013 06:02 PM

Great idea to think ahead & get yourself prepared!! :shake:

With my last bout I made sure to drink lots of water-green tea-chicken broth, and popped potassium pills.
I think next time I'll make sure to pop magnesium as well.

emily1965 01-16-2013 06:55 PM

Glaceau Smart Water.

No flavors, no sugar, no nothing.

creseis 01-16-2013 09:33 PM

Gatorade makes electrolytes with no sugar. They sent me a ton of it last year because I was sponsored by them and I put 1 tiny packet in 3 liters of water and it made the water taste salty and it was awful! So, yes, they do make it :) I like Nuun tabs the best for no sugar/sweetener electrolytes--they use citrus flavoring and it bubbles and does not taste salty or weird. Make sure you are not getting too many electrolytes. It seems like most people over do it without realizing, and that will do more harm than not taking any at all. The best way to get electrolytes is from meat broths.

Mimosa23 01-17-2013 12:51 AM

I drink chicken broth with extra atlantic seasalt. It has tons of minerals. Works.

My Dr. also said that this is the best.

I recently had 5 days of some sort of nasty stomach flu, and that was what I drank. About 2 or three cups a day, depending on how I felt. I'm still alive, so it certainly didn't do me any harm!

batlou 01-17-2013 05:08 AM

X2 on the Chicken broth. Your Grandparents knew what they were talking about, that stuff will work miracles and taste great when you are sick.

CurveControl 01-17-2013 08:33 AM

another vote for chicken broth. and ice water.