LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
The term "corn fed"

Means big and hefty right? That's how they get cows larger faster, well along with steroid stuff, but I'm talking about corn right now. Corn is in everything! No wonder obesity is a problem. It's in some sugar substitutes, ketchup and even Motrin. We are all corn fed and don't even know it. SMH.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
"Corn fed" means unhealthy to me. I do my best to avoid anything coming from grain fed animals.

Sticking to grass-fed & unprocessed foods make it easier.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSugarGrandma
Stats: 224/155/133
WOE: low carb & IF 16/8 window
Start Date: October 2011
If you get the chance to watch the video "Fat Head"--he talks about how on a farm-they feed the animals grain to fatten the cattle up for market. My son-in-law said this was a "lightbulb" moment for him. He was raised on a farm and absolutely knew that was a true statement. He started that week on low carb and says he is never going back to high carb again. He has already lost over 50#. Sometimes it just takes someone to state a fact that we have the knowledge to know is true. Thats when we see success for the long haul.
Lifestyle change is the answer for many of us. Thank you low carb friends. I owe so much of my success to this forum. I've been lurking for 14 months--and I just want to say how grateful I am to all of you who post on a regular basis-you know who you are. You do make a difference to people like myself. Thank you.
NoSugarGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
"Corn fed" means unhealthy to me. I do my best to avoid anything coming from grain fed animals.

Sticking to grass-fed & unprocessed foods make it easier.
right, and my point is that it is "hidden" in a lot of things, under different names and preservatives.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarGrandma View Post
If you get the chance to watch the video "Fat Head"--he talks about how on a farm-they feed the animals grain to fatten the cattle up for market. My son-in-law said this was a "lightbulb" moment for him. He was raised on a farm and absolutely knew that was a true statement. He started that week on low carb and says he is never going back to high carb again. He has already lost over 50#. Sometimes it just takes someone to state a fact that we have the knowledge to know is true. Thats when we see success for the long haul.
Lifestyle change is the answer for many of us. Thank you low carb friends. I owe so much of my success to this forum. I've been lurking for 14 months--and I just want to say how grateful I am to all of you who post on a regular basis-you know who you are. You do make a difference to people like myself. Thank you.
I need to watch "Fat Head" again. It's been a while! Good for your SIL! Sounds like he is on the right track
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I picked up a container of baby formula and guess what was in it? High fructose corn syrup. I think that is despicable.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jedswife
Stats: 220/160/140
WOE: Body By Atkins
HFCS is in everything....in itself i dont think it is bad.....IT IS BAD WHEN IT IS ADDED TO EVERYTHING IT DOESNT NEED TO BE ADDED TO. ...dont add HFCS to my meat etc.
jedswife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I've started reading Michael Pollin's "The Omnivore's Dilemma." He says that the body composition of people in the U.S. now shows higher corn consumption than is true for the bodies of people in Mexico, where corn is a traditional staple food. Corn and corn-based sweeteners are cheap, and corn is profitable for Big Agriculture because breeding variations don't pass along for multiple generations, so one can "patent" corn changes in a way that doesn't work for most plants with seeds. Sadly, I expect the ubiquity of corn products (under confusing labels) to just continue to grow in processed foods, for these reasons.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ss1
Stats: 160/137/130-125
Start Date: september 2012
I know they feed cows corn because its cheaper but their bodies arnt meant to digest corn, because of that their bodies probably release a lot of hormones and junk like that, and i pretty sure it makes the cow sick. corn fed beef is NOT healthy. this is all why grass fed beef is more expensive but at least its healthy.
ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
Means big and hefty right? That's how they get cows larger faster, well along with steroid stuff, but I'm talking about corn right now. Corn is in everything! No wonder obesity is a problem. It's in some sugar substitutes, ketchup and even Motrin. We are all corn fed and don't even know it. SMH.
yup! used to be we would feed slops to the hogs and cows would graze until a month or so before slaughter then they would be fattened on corn
now it seems they get mostly corn all the time
if we knew way back when corn was for fattening up you know the companies that make our food now know it
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #11

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedswife View Post
HFCS is in everything....in itself i dont think it is bad.....IT IS BAD WHEN IT IS ADDED TO EVERYTHING IT DOESNT NEED TO BE ADDED TO. ...dont add HFCS to my meat etc.
normal corn syrup isn't so bad for us but HFCS is terrible
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

watch your salad dressings and such too. Some of the preservatives are corn-based. Corn can be inflammatory to the body also. No wonder so many people have inflammatory conditions. Also, some instant coffees have corn in them. It's crazy. We are all corn fed and don't even know it
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
And Popcorn is so dang good I guess I could keep popcorn as an occasional treat.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
High fructose corn syrup is indeed in just about everything, but you CAN clean it out of your pantry. I began religiously clearing it from my kitchen over a year ago, and have been HFCS-free since that time (except for those times that I eat out at a restaurant and don't know the ingredients in the food I'm eating--you know it's lurking in there!!!)

The first and most important thing to do is say goodbye to soft drinks forever. They are LOADED with that stuff. If you get rid of soft drinks, you'll probably be cutting back more than half of your consumption of HFCS.

The next step would be baking your own bread or buying only bread that does not have HFCS in it. Be prepared to spend 20 mins or more at the grocery store looking through many brands of bread until you find it.

Oh and hot dog buns and burger buns? You're out of luck unless you go to a health food store, and even then, look at the ingredients list.

The best bet is to learn to bake bread and then freeze a bunch of it.

But the thing to remember is that all added sugar is bad for you; it causes your insulin level to spike, priming your body for diabetes; it signals your body to store the fat instead of burning it; it causes you to gain fat in your abdomen, which can lead to metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and diabetes; it feeds the bad bacteria and can lead to yeast infections, candida overgrowth, SIBO, etc. The list goes on. We don't really need to have added sugar in our diets because the food we already eat (fruits, breads, potatoes, dressings, etc) have sugar/carbs in them.

Last edited by Seeking; 01-17-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Malodextrin seems to be in everything, including a lot of low-carb convienence foods. In the U.S. it's ususally made from corn.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
And Popcorn is so dang good I guess I could keep popcorn as an occasional treat.
I usually have organic white popcorn about once per month for a treat. I think the problem is more about consuming such large quantities. I try to eat totally unprocessed foods for the most part so I don't think that my once a month treat is bad. I buy the organic because the other stuff is genetically altered.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

The thing that bugs me the most is the sugar and high fructose corn syrup in salad dressings--I feel bad for the people who think they are eating healthy salads and dumping a bunch of sugar/HFCS on their lettuce. Making your own from scratch is super easy though, and I think homemade tastes lots better (plus you can use olive oil instead of that unhealthy soybean, etc. oil).
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sven brings up another point about food quality. Just start looking at labels for soy. It is in everything and fed to everything! If you look into the feed for organic chickens (egg laying and those for meat), cows, pigs and god knows what else, they are fed organic soy as a component of their feed. It is crazy.

Last edited by clackley; 01-18-2013 at 01:00 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
I have a dumb question... why do people think that HFCS is so bad... but real sugar is okay [ETA:welll... not OK... but just not as bad]? Is it because of the corn...?

I see it on labels for food/beverages all the time... "No High Fructose Corn Syrup!"
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
I have a dumb question... why do people think that HFCS is so bad... but real sugar is okay [ETA:welll... not OK... but just not as bad]? Is it because of the corn...?

I see it on labels for food/beverages all the time... "No High Fructose Corn Syrup!"
High fructose corn syrup/fructose is processed differently than glucose--in the liver, specifically--which makes it a major cause of fatty liver disease. And since a well-functioning liver is essential to health (and weight loss), that is a very bad thing.

It used to be that liver diseases like fatty liver were largely confined to the alcoholic population. Now they are becoming endemic and found among people who don't drink much alcohol but who have eaten a lot of HFCS (a lot of which they are unaware of eating, because it is in "healthy" foods like salad dressings).
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
High fructose corn syrup/fructose is processed differently than glucose--in the liver, specifically--which makes it a major cause of fatty liver disease. And since a well-functioning liver is essential to health (and weight loss), that is a very bad thing.

It used to be that liver diseases like fatty liver were largely confined to the alcoholic population. Now they are becoming endemic and found among people who don't drink much alcohol but who have eaten a lot of HFCS (a lot of which they are unaware of eating, because it is in "healthy" foods like salad dressings).
It's the fructose part though that is processed by the liver. The higher fructose content in the food, the worse it is for the liver. Eating huge quantities of fructose can lead to a fatty liver, which will eventually lead to diabetes.

Sucrose (table sugar) is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. According to wikipedia:

"HFCS consists of 24% water, and the rest sugars. The most widely used varieties of high-fructose corn syrup are: HFCS 55 (mostly used in soft drinks), approximately 55% fructose and 42% glucose; and HFCS 42 (used in beverages, processed foods, cereals and baked goods), approximately 42% fructose and 53% glucose."

The reality of the matter is that HFCS is probably only slightly worse for your body than table sugar, since they have nearly the same amounts of sugars. The fact is (and we all know this) excess of any sugar is bad for you.

I avoid HFCS because my body doesn't need it and because it is derived from corn, and all corn in this country is now a GMO food.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Thanks!!
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #23

Gallery: flatferenghi
i always saw that expression referring to farmboys

in Kansas and Nebraska who were in the peak of health and physical condition. Farmboys work off all that corn. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote