Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Paleo/Atkins "incident" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794559-paleo-atkins-incident.html)

LiterateGriffin 01-15-2013 04:25 PM

Paleo/Atkins "incident"

So, I do Atkins. Says so, right over there
<---

See?

When I started hanging out with a bunch of moms, here, it came out that I eat weird. I admitted that I do Atkins, and thus don't eat sugars or grains. (This came out at a party, where lots of gluten-free menu items were being served... and I was still checking to see what was in things before I ate them... and ended up largely sticking to veggies and dip, and the top-part of pizzas.)

One mom was very confused by this, "You don't even eat Quinoa?"

Luckilly, the hostess had done HCG, before, so understood the whole LC thing, and we both kind of explained things. No one was judging me, just trying to understand my weirdness. :)

Flash-forward to now. The mom who asked, "Not even Quinoa?" came over to my house today. The pretext was having a play-date for our girls... But she's the same woman who's convinced she "doesn't know how to cook", and so is trying to get everyone to teach her to make things. I'd originally planned to teach her to bake bread (since we were out and I needed to make some more for the kids), but she reminded me that she's trying to cut out gluten for her girls, "and gluten-free cooking is so hard!"

So I promptly changed it to offering to teach her to make gluten-free cookies and crackers. :jumpjoy: YAY! Making something I can eat, too!

They came by today, and we had a great time! Made almond-meal in my cheap blender, threw cookies together without a recipe, drank bulletproof coffee, had a blast.

Then her husband called, and they were talking... it came up in their convo that while my HOUSE is not gluten-free, I am gluten-free. As she's telling him this, she says, "Yes, she's eating Pal-... Pale...?" ~questioning look at me~
"Paleo," I provided... realizing first that no, I'm NOT paleo -- I eat dairy. And second, that everything we'd made WAS paleo, so it's not worth arguing over or correcting on the phone.

It was weird, though. A month ago (at the party), she'd never heard of eating this way. Now, she had a name... though not one any of us had used in explaining it to her!

:dunno:

You know, it's a lot of fun to show someone several of your favorite recipes, and have them be all excited over them. We made 2 different things that took about 10 minutes of "prep" each, and then about 20 minutes in the oven. She was blown away by how easy and adaptable they were. :)

lterry913 01-15-2013 05:16 PM

Maybe after the quinoa incident she did a little research and found some different names for similar ways of eating...good for you for not making her feel too uncomfortable and teaching her some new recipes. I'm sure if you get together again the subject may come up and you can explain the differences.
Btw i love the intro above...nice visual...you always find a way to crack me up.

Dottie 01-15-2013 05:18 PM

Kind of funny, like how people will gladly say they're doing "low carb" but refuse to say "Atkins" like there's some sort of negative association :laugh: (not here, people I know).

Punkin 01-15-2013 05:20 PM

LOL! How do you make gluten free, LC bread anyways. I have flaxseed meal, xantham gum and psyllium husks and quick rise bread yeast. But I am not sure how to put them together to make carb free bread.

I went to a health food store the other day and asked for a carb free flour, they offered me quinoa. ? Its funny that people don't really know what that is. Then I had to explain the differences between nut/seed flours and grain flours. And then that brought up a whole explanation about how I am more than just gluten free. I'm starting to think I should just pretend I am gluten free and stick with my flaxseed meal, it just seems easier 8)

avid 01-15-2013 05:26 PM

Quinoa must be all the rage these days.
I told someone recently that I don't eat grain and she went on and on about the virtues of quinoa......
I smiled, waited patiently and when she came up for air I repeated
"I don't eat grain"
what's with these people anyway?

Arctic_Mama 01-15-2013 05:46 PM

While I am plain about where my success has come from (calorie counting, hCG, Atkins, etc) with the right audience who is genuinely wanting to learn, I tend to just claim 'Paleo' or 'no sugar, no starch' for the masses.

Paleo is less frequent, but I have a FIL and midwife who are both familiar with it and approve, yet would condemn the use of Atkins or artificial sweeteners or whatever doesn't fit their dietary preferences... So simplifying it to loose Paleo stops conflicts.

No sugar, no starch indications were what I said over Christmas to family when asked, which also doesn't carry the demonic Atkins label :annoyed:. It shouldn't be an issue, but better to not get in a position of needing to defend myself, I figure!

MaryMary 01-15-2013 07:52 PM

I understood Quinoa to be a seed, that cooks up to mimic a grain. I don't it for no other reason than I don't seeds either.

LiterateGriffin 01-15-2013 08:49 PM

At 34 net-carbs per 1 cup serving, quinoa is much too high-carb for me, whether it's a grain or not! (This is the first I heard that it's not actually a grain, but a "pseudo-grain". But sure enough, it's not a member of the grass family. Who knew? :) Turns out buckwheat isn't a grain, either.)

Punkin, check out this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ter-bread.html

Punkin 01-16-2013 02:40 AM

I didn't know it was a seed either. It must be pretty refined at 34 carbs per 1 cup. Usually seeds are high in fat and fiber and low in carbs, which makes them more LC friendly.

avid 01-16-2013 06:11 AM

Netrition sells a product called "Bob's Red Mill 'quinoa whole grain'".
It lists a whopping 30g of carb for a mere 1/4 oz. serving with only 3g of fiber.
It may be healthy in the world of "healthy whole grains" but it will be certain death to
any Low carb lifestyle.

Patkid 01-16-2013 07:42 AM

LG, it seems to me that you must be a really great friend! Kudos.
I usually say I am eating LC, accept the eye rolls and smile.
For me, 'recipies' seem to spell trouble. I do best with very simple whole foods. Meat (in no sauce), eggs, lower carb roasted or steamed veggies with butter or cheese, and salads with full fat dressing.
When I get closer to goal I may seek you out for a cooking lesson!
Blessings for your kind heart.

hluxe 01-16-2013 01:46 PM

I find quinoa to high in carbs myself. I just say that I do low-carb and then remind people that vegetables are carbs - I just get my carbs from veggies instead of grains. That usually shuts them up.

I know lots of people who are into paleo. We did it in 2011 and I was essentially on it (dairy/casein/gluten free) for two years out of necessity. I personally found it to be too restrictive once my dairy intolerance subsided after a while of gluten.

I have been completely off track for a year but this time I am doing Atkins not Paleo. I minimise dairy intake but for me...it's just too restrictive.

The funny thing is all these people are into paleo because it is the new buzzword but they eat so much in the way of baked almond flour products that many people still struggle with their weight. These things are treats - not for daily consumption!

avid 01-16-2013 02:52 PM

I too am drawn to the paleo diet, but find it too restrictive.
It just makes so much sense.
Like everything else, our digestive system evolved over hundreds of thousands of years.
Eating foods that were the basis for that evolution has got to be the healthiest woe.
The problem for me is life without cheese.
I had a hard enough time giving up bread and pasta...now to give up cheese and coffee?
I don't think so.

pocahontas 01-16-2013 03:39 PM

Interestingly, I have always been drawn to Paleo but I cannot give up my beloved dairy! Then I realized I was drawn to Paleo because its a diet of whole, natural foods. Then I realized I was just doing Atkins the way the doc wrote it himself.

<----- See! I do Atkins '72 style. ;)

LG - Sounds like a great time had by all! :clap:

FitnessWanabee 01-16-2013 03:50 PM

Basic cooking is easy. Making fresh salads, steaming vegetables, cutting up fruits. What's the big deal?

thealything 01-16-2013 04:52 PM

aww, that's kind of a cute story :)

I definitely enjoy educating carb-eaters about my way of eating. sometimes it's frustrating (like when a neighbour said "I PRETTY MUCH ALREADY DO ATKINS" while crushing a bag of potato chips) but sometimes it's gratifying... or hilarious. and it's nice when I can show my boyfriend new ways of cooking stuff that end up being fresh and delicious!

gladee88er 01-16-2013 05:11 PM

I get the "eye roll" sometimes when I tell people "no thanks" to pastas, breads, potatoes, crackers, and other junk. People think it's strange to see someone refuse those things...especially someone that's not overweight. They don't realize I used to be heavy, and staying clear of those foods most of the time is why I'm not anymore. My friends are starting to come around though.

LiterateGriffin 01-17-2013 03:56 PM

Yeah... the funny thing is that now, I'm only about 20 lbs overweight... and none of these people knew me when I was obese.

They just see a somewhat-overweight woman... ~laughs~ They have no idea! I mean, I don't even have a double-chin anymore!

I find almond-meal baked goods very useful -- in moderation. Crackers, for example, are a FUNCTIONAL food. They carry, say, my guacamole. (Mmmmm... guacamole....) And the "cookies" I use for travel, hiking, etc, when I'm likely to need some quick, shelf-stable food to take along. They've saved me (and my family) more than once! I can also toss a couple at the kids when they're hungry between meals, and know that they're getting something GOOD for them.

It was so much fun! Can't wait till next time!

Arctic_Mama 01-17-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladee88er (Post 16200379)
I get the "eye roll" sometimes when I tell people "no thanks" to pastas, breads, potatoes, crackers, and other junk. People think it's strange to see someone refuse those things...especially someone that's not overweight. They don't realize I used to be heavy, and staying clear of those foods most of the time is why I'm not anymore. My friends are starting to come around though.

Oh SO true! It's easy to forget that a fair number of people in my life have never seen me in size 24 pants and 3X tops, they just see an average, healthy young woman who appears to have health nut tendencies :hyst:

Fortunately I'm firm about my own nutrition and not pushy about everyone else's, so they mostly leave me alone. And those who DID know when when morbidly obese just keep their mouths shut, since it's hard to argue with long term success, especially when they, themselves, are dealing with holiday pounds ;)

LoriWants2Lose 01-17-2013 06:35 PM

At least she's willing to learn. My friends know I'm low carbing because of diabetes and will still question my food choices. Hello! I am trying to keep from getting sick and dying here. Why does it bother you so much that I WON'T eat bread or sugar?

I bet she did some research after your first talk. The cookies sound awesome and your cooking method is like mine. Let's throw it all together and see what turns out. It usually comes out decent around here, but there are the occasional crazy recipes that are not so good.

sweetpoison 01-17-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16200066)
I too am drawn to the paleo diet, but find it too restrictive.
It just makes so much sense.
Like everything else, our digestive system evolved over hundreds of thousands of years.
Eating foods that were the basis for that evolution has got to be the healthiest woe.
The problem for me is life without cheese.
I had a hard enough time giving up bread and pasta...now to give up cheese and coffee?
I don't think so.

Did you ever consider going primal instead of palio??? Its my understanding they are very close only primal still allows for some cheese.

Janknitz 01-17-2013 08:39 PM

Primal is paleo with dairy. I like the basic premise of paleo/primnal because it's real whole foods. I currently consider myself "low carb primal", but I tell "muggles" I'm sugar free, grain free, starch free. By the time I get to "grain free" their eyes glaze over and their brains shut off, so they never get the starch free part.

That's led to some awkward situations where people proudly make special "gluten free" dishes JUST for me and then are offended if I won't eat them because they're full of sugar and other starches. Over the holidays I "just had" to try a carrot dish a relative made gluten free especially for me--full of sugar. When I asked her what it was made of, she said "gluten free flour"--didn't even know WHAT was in it (other than tons of sugar!). It was delicious, but I was sick as a dog the next day. Sigh . . .

Paleo and primal are not low carb because starchy veggies and "natural sugars" are permitted, but it's entirely possible to eat paleo/primal and stay low carb too. I feel 100% better eating "clean" primal style foods--grass fed, pastured meat and eggs, wild caught fish, organic veggies, and yes, even raw milk. The hippie in me LOVES it, and I do feel like it's better for my kids and my planet. I'm appalled by the food products I used to eat and what conventional agriculture is doing to our environment. I want a safer food chain for my children and grandchildren to be.

LiterateGriffin 01-18-2013 08:24 AM

:goodpost:

I may start calling it Paleo/Primal when I hit maintenance. I follow early editions of Atkins, which means processed foods are avoided, anyway, in favor of wholesome, organic, nutrient-dense foods... Just like Paleo & Primal.

gladee88er 01-18-2013 08:47 AM

Hi Literate. I can really see the changes in you over the last year. Your face is much thinner, and you look a lot younger!

tiva 01-18-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryMary (Post 16198285)
I understood Quinoa to be a seed, that cooks up to mimic a grain. I don't it for no other reason than I don't seeds either.

That's right! It's not a cereal (so therefore not a grain). But it's still higher in carbs than many of the things we tend to eat.

Cauliflower is a great replacement in the quinoa recipes I've tried.

LiterateGriffin 01-18-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gladee88er (Post 16204086)
Hi Literate. I can really see the changes in you over the last year. Your face is much thinner, and you look a lot younger!

:o

Thank you!

Just for comparison, here's my first Avatar/Profile Pic:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/im...2&type=profile

gladee88er 01-18-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16204859)
:o

Thank you!

Just for comparison, here's my first Avatar/Profile Pic:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/im...2&type=profile

:congrats: