Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Eating Patterns (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794553-eating-patterns.html)

LiterateGriffin 01-15-2013 04:39 PM

Eating Patterns
 
I realized, I think back last week sometime, that I'd taken to grazing all day long. Not because I was hungry, but as "something to do" and because I was craving salt. (Which is pretty much an "always" thing for me. Oddly, I rarely salt my food and seldom cook with it, but I do crave it.)

Well, now I seem to be back to a previous pattern of just not eating before dinner. (Drinking bullet-proof coffee, and forgetting about food.)

Today I had a MAJOR workout at the gym, followed by a friend coming over and learning to make some gluten-free foods... Before my workout, I had 3 cups of coffee (with decreasing amounts of additives, and because I knew this workout was gonna be INTENSE). After that, I had around 10 almonds and some "regular" coffee... And now dinner. (A salad topped with a ground beef/bacon/cheese combo, which tasted INTENSELY good!)

Yeah, I came home from the gym, and forgot to eat. Just got started doing stuff. Didn't remember that I NEEDED to eat until company was almost here, and got out some almonds as a quick "meal"... but they showed up around the time I sat down to eat them. And so I stopped.

Oh, well! Hey, at least I lose better on THIS kind of eating pattern than on the grazing one!

picklepete 01-15-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16197803)
Oh, well! Hey, at least I lose better on THIS kind of eating pattern than on the grazing one!

The literature on intermittent fasting (or "punctuated" eating) suggests that it's possibly the most powerful thing to improve insulin sensitivity.

I believe that eating when hungry and not eating when not hungry are equally valuable skills to develop. :p

evas 01-16-2013 11:07 PM

My eating patterns have changed the last 10 days. I used to eat a decent sized breakfast every day but now I just have a giant coffee with HWC and then don't eat until lunch which usually falls around 2pm. It's been working really well for me, oddly, the coffee and cream actually fills me up until close to lunch and it's been almost a relief to not have to think about what I'm going to eat for breakfast. I've also shaved a good amount of time off my morning routine before work!

LiterateGriffin 01-17-2013 05:30 AM

I hear you on the coffee-for-breakfast! Breakfast is a hard meal: I need something that takes no thought or effort, and doesn't take a long time to eat. The coffee (with CO and HWC, in my case) does that for me.

clackley 01-17-2013 07:47 AM

I am the same way with coffee/cream for breakfast only I add a tbsp of coconut oil to it as well. It can sometimes satisfy me till late afternoon.

On the downside, I have read that this kind of intermittent fasting is not great for some females (specifically those that are peri meno or post meno). My own experiment of one, demonstrated that it was not an effective weight loss tool.

On the positive side, it is still something that I use occasionally for other positive benefits. That is one of the many great things about ketosis. Hunger is no longer the feared thing it was in days of carb eating.

lterry913 01-17-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16201337)
I am the same way with coffee/cream for breakfast only I add a tbsp of coconut oil to it as well. It can sometimes satisfy me till late afternoon.

On the downside, I have read that this kind of intermittent fasting is not great for some females (specifically those that are peri meno or post meno). My own experiment of one, demonstrated that it was not an effective weight loss tool.

On the positive side, it is still something that I use occasionally for other positive benefits. That is one of the many great things about ketosis. Hunger is no longer the feared thing it was in days of carb eating.

I don't know how having something that is fat and calorie dense as well as containing some protein could be considered fasting...we won't do medical exams at my place of work on those who have had cream in their coffee because they are not considered to be fasting.

JMO but I would thing only a liquid with no calorie count would be considered part of a fast.

I would think the 200 calories you are getting from a tbs of coconut oil and cream with coffee would be a great start...again jmo

CurveControl 01-17-2013 09:07 AM

I am thinking about the butter coffee thing but gosh i am so mumble headed in the AM I just pour the coffee and forget the butter. Maybe I will drop the butter in the mug the night before. I even went to Costco and got a bunch of unsalted butter to start this. Would have been much better than the cold big mac i had.

clackley 01-17-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16201436)
I don't know how having something that is fat and calorie dense as well as containing some protein could be considered fasting...we won't do medical exams at my place of work on those who have had cream in their coffee because they are not considered to be fasting.

JMO but I would thing only a liquid with no calorie count would be considered part of a fast.

I would think the 200 calories you are getting from a tbs of coconut oil and cream with coffee would be a great start...again jmo

I would agree 100%. It is only fasting from solid food - end.of.story. I have approached this issue many times for a definition when it comes to intermittent fasting and can never get clarification but I think you said it correctly. It is not fasting. Just glad to have someone say it clearly.:shake:

And yes, the nutrients added to coffee along with coffee's natural 'get up and go' is a great start to the day and I rely on it!!

LiterateGriffin 01-17-2013 11:16 AM

From my end, they're two separate things (IF and high-fat coffee) that are being discussed simultaneously.

Guess in my little ADD world it's normal to have up to 4 convos at once. ~chuckles~

LCdave 01-17-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16197803)
I realized, I think back last week sometime, that I'd taken to grazing all day long. Not because I was hungry, but as "something to do" and because I was craving salt. (Which is pretty much an "always" thing for me. Oddly, I rarely salt my food and seldom cook with it, but I do crave it.)

Well, now I seem to be back to a previous pattern of just not eating before dinner. (Drinking bullet-proof coffee, and forgetting about food.)

Today I had a MAJOR workout at the gym, followed by a friend coming over and learning to make some gluten-free foods... Before my workout, I had 3 cups of coffee (with decreasing amounts of additives, and because I knew this workout was gonna be INTENSE). After that, I had around 10 almonds and some "regular" coffee... And now dinner. (A salad topped with a ground beef/bacon/cheese combo, which tasted INTENSELY good!)

Yeah, I came home from the gym, and forgot to eat. Just got started doing stuff. Didn't remember that I NEEDED to eat until company was almost here, and got out some almonds as a quick "meal"... but they showed up around the time I sat down to eat them. And so I stopped.

Oh, well! Hey, at least I lose better on THIS kind of eating pattern than on the grazing one!

wow I found someone who eats like me...:p

At least on weekends I tend to do the same thing you did...I have not tried the bullet proof coffee, but my wife has, she says it really works.

;)

lterry913 01-17-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16201879)
From my end, they're two separate things (IF and high-fat coffee) that are being discussed simultaneously.

Guess in my little ADD world it's normal to have up to 4 convos at once. ~chuckles~

Haha...you just spark such interesting conversation...it's no wonder people focus on different points of your posts individually.

clackley 01-17-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16201879)
From my end, they're two separate things (IF and high-fat coffee) that are being discussed simultaneously.

Guess in my little ADD world it's normal to have up to 4 convos at once. ~chuckles~

Sorry, I do the same but didn't mean to sidetrack your thread.

LiterateGriffin 01-17-2013 04:40 PM

My threads generally can't be sidetracked, since they're "conversation starters". :) Whatever happens on them is what was supposed to happen....


...unless, of course, I'm asking a specific question. Then, I have the ulterior motive of wanting to find an answer to that question. ;)

JustMe2 01-17-2013 06:31 PM

What is bullet proof coffee?

CurveControl 01-21-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMe2 (Post 16202944)
What is bullet proof coffee?

It is a very qood quality coffee (no particular brand, just as pure as you can find) and unsalted butter, I believe. If you google there are some interesting things out there about the best kind, how much butter (start slow!!)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 PM.