Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   back pain....kidney? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794550-back-pain-kidney.html)

avid 01-15-2013 03:21 PM

back pain....kidney?

The past couple of days I have had some pain in the kidney area of my right back. I assumed it was muscle and made sure I did plenty of core work at the gym...this always cures my back issues. but not this time.
So on a whim I decided to drink a big glass of water. Withing a half hour the pain was gone.
so I really started thinking and realized that my diet has been especially high in protein the past few days. Could it be that I was having kidney pain from too much protein?
Is this an issue for LC followers?

Arctic_Mama 01-15-2013 04:03 PM

It isn't a side effect I have heard of, but if there is a pre-existing kidney problem the high protein days would be difficult to process. I would be surprised if such pain was acute, however, that makes me think more along the lines of a kidney stone or referred pain from muscles/another region of the body/etc.

If the pain is intense or returns, do go seek medical help! We're not doctors and don't even play them on tv ;)

avid 01-15-2013 05:21 PM

We're not doctors and don't even play them on tv

LOL....the pain came back a little bit later. I'm pretty sure it's muscle spasm.
I'll monitor it for a couple of days and see what happens.
thanks for the laugh.

lterry913 01-15-2013 05:25 PM

If it was a stone the sudden influx of fluid could have dislodged it...however as mentioned above the kidneys are not to be neglected...get checked by a doc and maybe he will order an xray or test to see if it is a kidney problem...stone, infection, whatever. You may get some peace of mind knowing what it is or isn't.

lterry913 01-15-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16197852)
It isn't a side effect I have heard of, but if there is a pre-existing kidney problem the high protein days would be difficult to process. I would be surprised if such pain was acute, however, that makes me think more along the lines of a kidney stone or referred pain from muscles/another region of the body/etc.

If the pain is intense or returns, do go seek medical help! We're not doctors and don't even play them on tv ;)

But one may ask if you stayed at a Holiday Inn Exxpress last night?:hyst:

Arctic_Mama 01-15-2013 05:42 PM

Exactly! :D

KeirasMom 01-16-2013 09:40 AM

I get kidney stones regularly and I notice a direct correlation with either dehydration or too much protein. I get the uric acid stones. I can be dehydrated one day and have a kidney stone the next. It's no fun. I second the suggestion to see your doctor if it continues.

ravenrose 01-16-2013 10:30 PM

it's just NOT true that excess protein causes kidney problems. people with very advanced kidney disease have to limit protein, but they also have to limit WATER and potassium and the other minerals and just about everything else. I have some kidney disease so I have talked to a good nephrologist about this.

KeirasMom 01-17-2013 07:27 AM

I will have to respectfully disagree. I absolutely get stones if I have too much protein, and mainly beef protein. For some reason, I can handle the purine in fowl much better. Not everyone reacts the same way, but I do. It can happen, and other than the stones, my kidneys are in pretty good shape. My labs always look good other than my increased uric acid production. My nephrologist recommended trying to limit protein and see if it had any affect.

Patkid 01-17-2013 07:50 AM

Avid,
I hope you are feeling better today. I have no input but I just want to offer hope that this flank pain resolves quickly.

CurveControl 01-17-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16201430)
I will have to respectfully disagree. I absolutely get stones if I have too much protein, and mainly beef protein. For some reason, I can handle the purine in fowl much better. Not everyone reacts the same way, but I do. It can happen, and other than the stones, my kidneys are in pretty good shape. My labs always look good other than my increased uric acid production. My nephrologist recommended trying to limit protein and see if it had any affect.

do you get gout too? I know there is some correlation there.

Avid, If it is still hurting I would for sure see the doc. If it is a muscle spasm and keeps returning that is a problem too. A quick UA will tell the doc if you have any blood in your urine that you can't see.

avid 01-17-2013 08:09 AM

thank you Pat.
Actually, it has.
At least for the most part.
I was concerned because the pain was on only one side and my usual ab tone up didn't help. But I did some stretching and noticed that my hamstrings were very tight. I worked on stretching them for a few minutes and the pain markedly diminished.
I had a fairly heavy work out day at the gym yesterday and so my abs and lower have some stiffness, but it is all very familiar. The result of working the area.
So again, thank you for your kind words.
I see that you are re-starting. I wish you all health and happiness.
keep in touch!