Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I have been eating an avocado a day. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794548-i-have-been-eating-avocado-day.html)

CindyCRNA 01-15-2013 02:54 PM

I have been eating an avocado a day.

And I haven't gained an ounce from it, may have even lost a tad! I follow more a Zone diet so I do eat carbs and have been in maintenance for years but I find avocados to be a real benefit in maintenance. I either eat it in a wrap with chicken and a high fiber tortilla but found a recipe on Pinterest and OMG!! It is a "sauce" for pasta. I like to put it over 2oz of Fiber Gourmet pasta.

1 whole ripe, soft, creamy avocado:love:
2 cloves of garlic (they freeze well so I toss a couple of frozen ones in)
Dash of kosher salt
2-3 T fresh basil (always in baggies in the freezer from summer)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon (I don't do this)
Something to thin it down a bit (the recipe calls for 2T of olive oil and while this is dang good, I would like to stay in maintenance! Today I put in 3T of fat free 1/2 1nd 1/2 and that worked well)

Place all of the above in a mini food processor (recipe says you can use a blender) and process until smooth . Smear over hot pasta. It is thick, more like a mayo but I am going to try to thin it down a bit more. Yummy!!

Anyone else work avocados into daily life?

Z 01-15-2013 02:59 PM

Some people like avocados, I have an avocado problem. In the right climate, surrounded by an abundance of ripe local avocados, I would eat five of them in a sitting, and despair for lack of a sixth.

I've slowed down considerably, but any diet that required me to abandon avocados altogether would be dropped like a bad habit.

mama_2_3 01-15-2013 03:03 PM

Yum! I bet that would be good on zucchini noodles too :yummy:
I love them plain with salt & pepper or a salad topper.

princessmommy 01-15-2013 03:26 PM

Love Avocados! I just slice or chop em up add some salt or garlic salt and Yum! Soo good for ya too!

cantare 01-15-2013 03:27 PM

Yep...I've been eating one a day for about a year and a half now! Definitely not over pasta though.

AnnF 01-15-2013 03:48 PM

I try to eat half an avocado a day. Love them and find that they help me keep my fat ratios where I need them.

Arctic_Mama 01-15-2013 04:00 PM

Mhmm, I love avocados and have to stop myself from eating too many of them, as a price issue primarily :o

cfine 01-15-2013 04:03 PM

love them. I posted my chocolate avocado recipe on another avocado thread recently, so here it is again. Hope you like!

1 ripe avocado
1/4 unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cocoa
1/4 eryrithritol
5-10 drops liquid stevia

blend all ingredients well. I top mine with homemade whipped cream

cabrioluvr 01-15-2013 06:14 PM

I love them too. Usually eat one every day sliced up over salad greens.

jm23 01-15-2013 08:00 PM

I recently became a fan of avocado's, they're so filling I usually only eat a half. I like them sliced with blue cheese dressing or if I'm in maintenance chopped up with fresh pineapple, apple, almonds, and a raspberry vinagrette.

CindyCRNA 01-15-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16197854)
love them. I posted my chocolate avocado recipe on another avocado thread recently, so here it is again. Hope you like!

1 ripe avocado
1/4 cocoa
1/4 eryrithritol
5-10 drops liquid stevia

I have seen this recipe and MUST try it! When you are trying to eat an avocado a day, as fabulous as they are plain, variety is nice.

Buffy45 01-16-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16197854)

1 ripe avocado
1/4 cocoa
1/4 eryrithritol
5-10 drops liquid stevia

I make this in my immersion blender and have been surprised at how long it keeps. 1 avocado makes 2 servings at least for me, this is very rich. Then I made it using 2 avocados so ate it over 4 days. This last time, 3 avocados and it is going on the 6th day now and still nice.

I cut back a little on the cocoa, 1/4 cup is a little too chocolatey for me but otherwise, very good. I always put my homemade whipped cream on top and sometimes I crumble a LC brownie in with it.

h82bl8 01-16-2013 05:26 AM

I slice 1/2 of one, place slices on top of 2 large tomato slices and top of with boiled egg whites - yummy

I make tuna or chicken salad and put someof it in the middle of 1/2 an avocado.

Mix it with some pico de gallo and serve with pepperoni chips

Place a couple in a blender with pickled jalapeno slices, jalapeno juice, and some softened cream cheese. Nice little salsa.

Pompom2 01-16-2013 05:37 AM

I love them too. Usually couple times a week I will have one.

Bamboozled 01-16-2013 07:14 AM

I am addicted to guacamole. I make some every two or three days. MMM gonna have to make me some tonight! Love to eat it by the spoonful or as a "sauce" for meat.

FitnessWanabee 01-16-2013 03:47 PM

The problem with avocado is it spoils real fast!

svenskamae 01-16-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z (Post 16197725)
Some people like avocados, I have an avocado problem. In the right climate, surrounded by an abundance of ripe local avocados, I would eat five of them in a sitting, and despair for lack of a sixth.

I've slowed down considerably, but any diet that required me to abandon avocados altogether would be dropped like a bad habit.

Sorry to get off topic, but I wanted to congratulate you, Z, on hitting your milestone this month. :notwrthy: Good job! I always enjoy your posts--in fact, they often make my mouth water--and it's a pleasure to note how well you are doing. :sing: And enjoying those avocados, along the way--clearly a win/win situation. :D

Buffy45 01-16-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitnessWanabee (Post 16200214)

Yes, it would be ideal to walk by a market and pick up one a day, so you always have a ripe one and ones ready to get ripe. I either run out or have 1 or 2 spoil. :mad:

GME 01-16-2013 05:54 PM

I buy them at Costco in the little mesh bags that have 5 or 6 in the bag. I put them in the fridge and take them out in waves so I always have a couple ripe. If too many are ripe at one time (not often does that happen), I put the ripe ones back in the fridge and they will keep there for a few more days.

I seriously :heart: avocados.

Heidinem 01-17-2013 04:19 AM

Yes, one a day avocado eater. If I make it into guacamole I eat the whole thing no matter how many avocados in it so I dont make it too often :o.

CindyCRNA 01-17-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitnessWanabee (Post 16200214)

My counter has an assortment of hard green to soft. It is a balancing act.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16200456)
I buy them at Costco in the little mesh bags that have 5 or 6 in the bag. I put them in the fridge and take them out in waves so I always have a couple ripe. If too many are ripe at one time (not often does that happen), I put the ripe ones back in the fridge and they will keep there for a few more days.

I don't know why I didn't about refrigerating them to slow up ripening!:doh:

Gibby 01-17-2013 07:17 AM

I'm an avocado lover, too!

I just squeeze a little lemon juice and salt on it and enjoy!

Yvonnem2000 01-17-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

I am going to do this. And the pudding. Great ideas!

CurveControl 01-17-2013 07:54 AM

one of my favorite 'always on hand' foods is chicken salad and my favorite breakfast is a glob of CS and an avocado with a bit of Blue cheese dressing.
What type do you prefer? I am fairy new to the fruit and have had some that were less creamy and some that were hard as rocks and then others i let get too soft. What is your favorite type and how o you know when it is just right?

Britt1975 01-17-2013 10:15 AM

I top half an avocado (peel still on) with shaved parmesan cheese and broil it for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbly - SO yummy and filling.

Gibby 01-17-2013 10:22 AM

I only eat Haas....I think that's the name and they are from California. The ones from Florida aren't very good, I don't think.

CindyCRNA 01-17-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurveControl (Post 16201501)
one of my favorite 'always on hand' foods is chicken salad and my favorite breakfast is a glob of CS and an avocado with a bit of Blue cheese dressing.
What type do you prefer? I am fairy new to the fruit and have had some that were less creamy and some that were hard as rocks and then others i let get too soft. What is your favorite type and how o you know when it is just right?

Here's the answer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibby (Post 16201895)
I only eat Haas....I think that's the name and they are from California. The ones from Florida aren't very good, I don't think.

The California ones (and the ones from Mexico) are the fattier variety so more caloric but full of the good fat. They are exceptionally creamy so they are the ones I use too.

FitnessWanabee 01-17-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Great idea, I'll try that.:shake:

avid 01-17-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16197846)
Mhmm, I love avocados and have to stop myself from eating too many of them, as a price issue primarily :o

I'm guessing fresh produce can be a bit pricey in Alaska eh?

CindyCRNA 01-17-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britt1975 (Post 16201871)
I top half an avocado (peel still on) with shaved parmesan cheese and broil it for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbly - SO yummy and filling.

Oh, that sounds good!!