LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
40 LBS in less than 4 Months!!!

Finally after YEARS of trying to be back to LC WOE, I seem to have done it!

I am more excited than I could possibly explain. I have gone down almost 5 sizes. I feel fantastic. My health markers have improved (Blood pressure and Cholesterol). I have started running again. All since 9/17/12!!

Now begins the dilemma, do I move on to OWL or do I stick with that is working. I know I have moved past my thinking of last time - that this is a diet and I have realized that this is a WOE for life. I have also realized that I LIKE eating this way, so it's not a problem, but I also do not want to gain back because I feel like I HAVE to add in more foods. Sure, there are foods I would like to add back in occaissionally. I just hope that the fear of relapse will not hold me back from adding them back in as an experiment as is the intention of OWL (IMHO). I suppose I will know when I am ready to attempt this next adventure in LC.

Right now, I eat what I want when I want without regard to calories. I like it that way. I think I'll just carry on!

Goals met:
199.9 - ONEderland(10/23/12);
180s - (12/08/12)
170s - (1/7/13) (made it back 01/14) (no longer obese)
160s - (3/2/13) 50.2 pounds in 5 1/2 months!
148 - No longer Overweight
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." ~ Sarah Condor, Runner/Author
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I see no need to fix what ain't broken!

Congrats on a job well done.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Yay!
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: heahyou00
Stats: 246/182/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: August 2007
You look sooooo much younger!! Wow!! Congrats
heahyou00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
You look great and CONGRATS! I second that you should just keep on keeping on. Looks like its working great for you!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: biggestloser
Stats: High Weight 244 in Feb 06, Current:212/205/190
Start Date: December 18th, 2012

Wow! What a great transformation. Very inspiring!!
biggestloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Robofitz
Start Date: 1/7/13
Great Job, you must feel as wonderful as you look! I have a quick question, you say after years of trying to be back on low carb you have finally succeeded...what was different for you this time around versus the other times?
Robofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Amazing!
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofitz View Post
Great Job, you must feel as wonderful as you look! I have a quick question, you say after years of trying to be back on low carb you have finally succeeded...what was different for you this time around versus the other times?
Honestly, I wish I could tell you! I finally accepted that I am not deprived on this WOE. I finally decided that I can make things that satisfy me and I am not missing out if I am not eating that chocolate cupcake or bag of popcorn. I have been able to walk away this time. And trust me it has been hard! But the up side is I do not crave the things I walk away from. There has been candy or cookies on the table in our break room every day since we have come back from Christmas break. And in order to fill up my water bottle I have to walk by that table going in and coming out of the kitchen. I just walk on by!

But I do find foods that I love that are low carb and I eat them. I love pork rinds dipped in salsa/sourcream dip. I love rotel dip, which I also love to dip pork rinds in. If I have a sweet tooth I put a little flavoring in my coffee or make a recipe off of the recipe boards, but I rarely have a sweet tooth for sweets, most of the time now it is for more fats: sour cream, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese.

I also have learned to use my crock pot to my advantage. I will put in a pork roast that I will munch on for 4-5 days. Or put some chicken breasts in with about a cup of broth and some seasonings of choice.

I think this time if I had to attribute my success to one thing it would have to be preparedness. I go out of my way to make sure that I have some type of meat leftover in the refridgerator, so that if I get hungry I grab that first. At one point last week I had all at one time: grilled pork chops, pork roast, taco meat, hamburgers, deli salami, deli pepperoni, and deli smoked ham. In addition to this I also had: devilled eggs, boiled eggs, sour cream, salsa, cream cheese and american cheese. These are things that I try to keep on hand at all times.

Sorry, I have gone on a bit, but I want to reinforce to myself also the reasons this is working for me.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much for sharing what helped you stay on plan...I restarted myself last week on the 7th and have been on plan ever since with no slip ups, however I do remember years ago when I would start and fail repeatedly and I dont want to fail again this time around. I really want to make this time stick. Reading your post is inspiring to me because you found a way to stick to it!! Thanks again, I will be sure to use some of your tips like keeping my fridge nice and stocked with LC options Not to keep bugging but do you work out at all or just eat clean LC?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I think for each person it is trial and error. I started working out a couple of times with some pretty heavy duty work out videos and would gain each time the next day. Even though I knew intellectually that it was due to muscle repair, I just couldn't handle the gain that this point in the game.

I still wanted to begin some type of workout and settled on C25K, because I had done this in the past. I have been doing that for about 5-6 weeks, 3-4 times a week (I start week 5 tomorrow, but repeated a week or two). I am getting into shape slowly and I do not have to deal with the weight gain of muscle building at the moment. I know it is just a issue I have to overcome mentally and I know I will, but simply choose not deal with it at them moment.

The types of decisions are trial and error for each person I think. I encourage everyone to experiment with all types of exercise. That is the only way to find out what works best for you.

I do plan to add weight lifting back into my routine, when I feel as though I am at a comfortable weight and want to begin to build more muscle than aerobic exercise with build. I am a firm believer in it helping overall fitness. I am just more focused on weight loss at the moment.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DragnflysWife
Stats: Start289/Goal135
Start Date: 10/3/2014-3rd times the charm
Super inspiring!
DragnflysWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again Lori
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
Sorry, I have gone on a bit, but I want to reinforce to myself also the reasons this is working for me.
This is so true. when I type a post on a thread about the LC way of life, everything I say is also to help reinforce my decisions. It is important. I sure understand that

CONGRATS!

I think you should move to OWL. key for atkins is adding in a bit of food slowly. phase 2 not much more is included. to finish your weight loss and to maintain for long term the final steps of atkins should be followed.

staying in phase 1 all the way to weight loss means you kinda missed out on the process of seeing what bit of foods might make you gain.

I think it is a process that is very important.

I am phase 2. there isn't a ton of 'scary' foods allowed on plan right now but I feel like I can experiment with a bit more carbs and see how it treats my body. that way I get a clear picture of what my maintenance for life will be.

best of luck because you did it, look fab in your pics and you sound very confident and strong!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Wendy T
Stats: 252/215.6/145 5'6" 50 years young
WOE: VSG
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Fantastic!!!
Wendy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Could I suggest kind of moving on...like, trade out a carb alottment of a new food with an old one for a while and see if you stall or keep losing. And, only do one food at a time to see how you respond. Then if it stalled or the food triggers a binge behavior you could just eliminate that food and go back to what you were doing before. After a week or so, and when you begin to lose again, try a different food from another food group and so on. I know what you mean ...it is scary to think we could undo all we have done, but we know the rules now and we know if we do this right it works.
post back and let us know what you chose and if it is working for you...good luck.

I had to come back and edit because I left out the most important thing...Congrats on your amazing success...kutgw.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back

Last edited by lterry913; 01-15-2013 at 02:39 PM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
This is so true. when I type a post on a thread about the LC way of life, everything I say is also to help reinforce my decisions. It is important. I sure understand that

CONGRATS!

I think you should move to OWL. key for atkins is adding in a bit of food slowly. phase 2 not much more is included. to finish your weight loss and to maintain for long term the final steps of atkins should be followed.

staying in phase 1 all the way to weight loss means you kinda missed out on the process of seeing what bit of foods might make you gain.

I think it is a process that is very important.

I am phase 2. there isn't a ton of 'scary' foods allowed on plan right now but I feel like I can experiment with a bit more carbs and see how it treats my body. that way I get a clear picture of what my maintenance for life will be.

best of luck because you did it, look fab in your pics and you sound very confident and strong!
Very good points and I may move in in terms of adding one item each week just to experiment with how my body reacts, but I don't think I will increase my daily carbs much. just maybe experiment with one for for about 3 weeks at a time and see how my body/weight reacts.

Thanks for your advice. I like to hear other people experiences as well and it is good to know it is not too "scary".
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Could I suggest kind of moving on...like, trade out a carb alottment of a new food with an old one for a while and see if you stall or keep losing. And, only do one food at a time to see how you respond. Then if it stalled or the food triggers a binge behavior you could just eliminate that food and go back to what you were doing before. After a week or so, and when you begin to lose again, try a different food from another food group and so on. I know what you mean ...it is scary to think we could undo all we have done, but we know the rules now and we know if we do this right it works.
post back and let us know what you chose and if it is working for you...good luck.

I had to come back and edit because I left out the most important thing...Congrats on your amazing success...kutgw.
I have kind if experimented with this already with things like one minute muffin and strawberries. I think I will continue to do so probably just as you have said. I will "test" one thing at at time for a few weeks and see how it goes. I do have to know what my body is going to do/react to certain foods and I think the experimentation is the best way.

We just get "gun-shy" if you will, about gaining when we are doing so well losing.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Lori you look Amazing!!! Way to go! I've pretty much stayed within 20-30 carbs a day after 51 lbs gone But it's gotten harder for me to lose the closer to goal I get. I've added a few things here and there and Only every once in awhile. Like the lc tortillas, strawberries, but I found for Me I can only add the higher carb stuff every once in awhile or I don't lose.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
I do plan to add weight lifting back into my routine, when I feel as though I am at a comfortable weight and want to begin to build more muscle than aerobic exercise with build. I am a firm believer in it helping overall fitness. I am just more focused on weight loss at the moment.
Lori! You have made wonderful, gorgeous, FAST progress! Congratulations!

For what it's worth, I haven't eaten off plan at all since the day I started Atkins and I've been working out 5 days per week, every week, with an amazing physical trainer since I started Atkins on 11 May -- he doesn't even work with "regular" clients, he's a bodybuilding coach who is helping me for free because we've been close friends since childhood. I train with very heavy weights two days per week -- split sets using 10-25 pound dumbbells -- and I do intense interval cardio three days per week.

A.) I haven't dropped pounds as quickly as you have. I'd lost barely over 30 pounds at the end of 4 months.

B.) After 8 months, I *still* haven't changed sizes as dramatically as you have. I started on 11 May at 235 pounds, wearing a *comfortable* size 16 Levi's 515s. I was 181.5 pounds at my last weigh-in on 29 December, wearing a *comfortable* size 12 Levi's 515s. So I'm down two sizes and, according to my notes, it took me almost exactly 3 months to lose each jean size.

The shape of my shoulders and collarbones are the only serious body recomposition changes that I would attribute directly to my workouts. My collarbones and shoulders look *red-carpet-evening-gown* sculpted despite the fact that the rest of my body still looks very chubby. Don't get me wrong, the rest of my body is WAY better than it was when I started. But I wouldn't say that intense weight training has made it look any better than it would look if I hadn't worked out while dieting.

I love the workouts! I love spending time with my buddy while he trains me. My brothers are both bodybuilders, so I love being able to share this aspect of their lives with them. I have an incredible amount of stamina, now. And one of the guys in the gym called me "mad strong" for my height and gender. So there are many benefits that I'm pleased about, but I wouldn't say that it's sped my pound loss or dramatically changed the look of my body.

Just my $0.02!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much Trillex. I always love to hear about your amazing progress. As I have said above I think this is a very experimental and individual. I think eventually we all realize we have to learn what works best for each of us.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Congrats on finding a way to make LC work for you. I too cannot feel like I am deprived or I am sure to fail. But with LC eating there is such a great variety of great tasting foods allowed that feeling deprived does not have to happen. Keep up the good work!
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
I think eventually we all realize we have to learn what works best for each of us.
You're totes right, Lori! It's just AMAZING how different every body is from every other body. It's like 90% of the health battle is figuring out what works for your individual system. You've clearly learned what your body needs -- congratulations on a job well done!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pompom2
Stats: 5'2" 120
WOE: Lower Carb
Congrats!!! You look great!!
Pompom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amypete19
Stats: 214/202/140
WOE: Trying to keep it at 30c
Start Date: March 2011
WOW
I couldn't have found this any more inspiring if it had happened to me!!!!!!!!! You are an inspiration to us Day 1-ers out there who've been battling over a year...

I do LC - I lose a few lbs - I get unprepared - I quit - I do WW - Im starving - I'm unprepared - I work out - I low carb - Im doing great - I have a setback. and so on and so forth.

But you are motivating me!!! So thank you!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amypete19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Great job!
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
this is a great thread.
Your success is impressive and I compliment you for sticking to it, so to speak.
This thread is a great example of how lucky we are to have this site.
You started off by telling a little bit of your story and asking for help.
Others chimed in with their own experiences and you found a solution to try
based on input from other members.
What a great place we have here.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BonBon19
Start Date: Summer 2008
Great post, Avid! Agree with you 100%. Great job, Lori! You look awesome!
BonBon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amypete19 View Post
WOW
I couldn't have found this any more inspiring if it had happened to me!!!!!!!!! You are an inspiration to us Day 1-ers out there who've been battling over a year...

I do LC - I lose a few lbs - I get unprepared - I quit - I do WW - Im starving - I'm unprepared - I work out - I low carb - Im doing great - I have a setback. and so on and so forth.

But you are motivating me!!! So thank you!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amy, I am so glad to give you hope/inspiration. I can't believe what an amazing avenue this site is to do just that! You CAN do it. Keep going and keep visiting this site!