Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann-Marie
cheaper low carb food

and a happy new year to you all, this is my first time on low carb friends, i live in Doncaster England and can't find anywere that sells low carb food, im buying my low carb food on line but its very expencive and the shipping costs are as high as the product im buying do any of you no were i can get cheaper low carb food with no or low shipping costs, many thanks Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
this is going to be tough to say but 'can you give up the low carb 'made' stuff?

what are you ordering?

I have low carb products readily available to me and I still choose fresh regular food over that product line.

AND WELCOME AND STAY AND JOIN IN THE CHATS. WE ARE a great group here and so many long term lc'ers have great advice.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Welcome Ann-Marie!

Low Carb can be expensive.

Mostly I just eat what I can pick up at the grocery store.
Eggs, bacon, butter, beef, fish, mayo, salad green, cheese, heavy cream to name a few.
I can get artificial sweeteners there too.

I have ordered a few things on line.
But for me Low Carb = simple, whole foods that I prepare myself.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Some things are called by other names there, too.
Like flax seed = linseed, which you can probably find locally (make sure it's food grade though).
I think there's a UK specific Atkins site that may also help you track down sources, or give you ideas from the stuff you have available locally
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

thanks for all your replys, i can get lots of the things for a low carb eating plan, but it was things like batter and bread crumbs i was looking at, i will have a good look through the site and pick up recipes hints and tips, HAPPY EATING A-M
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A'smommy
Stats: 144/129/120 5'5
WOE: My way, Lower carb, Low Calorie
Start Date: April 8th, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
thanks for all your replys, i can get lots of the things for a low carb eating plan, but it was things like batter and bread crumbs i was looking at, i will have a good look through the site and pick up recipes hints and tips, HAPPY EATING A-M
Just an idea, you can also use shredded parm or grated parm in the green can to coat and make crusts for things and its pretty affordable!
A'smommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I don`t know IF you have Pork Rinds there,IF you do you can use these to coat meats to fry and bake.They make a low carb breading for things and you can add grated (green can) parm cheese to them and makes it better.Use just like you would use bread crumbs. HTH.
WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I stick to the basics--butcher meats, eggs (I actually get free eggs now from a friend who has chickens), cheeses, I get really nice cheeses too, veggies, tofu (big bang for the buck, $3 per package and it lasts me 2-3 stir fry meals) and I rarely eat out after being low carb. I don't buy any pre packaged low carb products. I save $200-500 per MONTH on low carb as compared to my high carb days. That means more money to buy toys.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquirsw
Stats: 236/209.0/160
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Aug 31st
HI

I would say that if you are needing the frankenfoods alternatives then being LC in the UK is not the best. I have given up trying to bother. I get some bars and shakes for when life is really busy, but apart from that the majority of my food is fresh. I have decided that these are things that caused me to go down a bad path before and although getting LC options stays in the woe the psychology of it for me is wrong.

I hope that you are able to find the things that you want
jacquirsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
When I first started LC, I spent a small fortune trying exotic ingredients, sweeteners, bake mixes, powders, etc... many of which have only been used once or twice. It can be expensive but it doesn't have to be. There are some amazing tips on this site as well as LC blogs that I wish I'd paid more attention to in the beginning.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: someonelikeyou
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-Start January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel Lee View Post
Mostly I just eat what I can pick up at the grocery store.
Eggs, bacon, butter, beef, fish, mayo, salad green, cheese, heavy cream to name a few.
I can get artificial sweeteners there too.
I agree with this... I keep it simple. No low-carb "substitutes" - just work with greens, meat, eggs... Keep an eye on weekly specials, that's how I generally plan my week. Last Saturday a local market had an amazing price on NY strip steaks. I bought a few, wrapped and froze. Such a treat!!
someonelikeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Thefram4
Stats: 182/158/154 (5'8")
WOE: LC Paleo style
Start Date: June 2011 (this time round)
Hi Jen,

I think my best and sustained weight loss began when I started to eat more 'cleanly' that is cutting out the processed foods and making a lot of my own low carb treats.
That is not to say I don't indulge in the occasional Atkins bar (boots and tesco) but Holland and Barratt is my new fave shop where my staples are:

Xylitol (sweetener branded 'totally sweet')
Coconut flour
Coconut oil
Golden linseed (I grind myself)
Macadamia nuts
Chia seeds

I tend to stock up on these items when they are on offer (penny sales etc) they also do lots of sugar free sweets 'sula' brand I think.

I use a lot of ground almonds which are cheapest in the supermarket and also xanthan gum to thicken sauces which is cheapest at sainsburys.

Lots of the low carb basics are easily found in our supermarkets:
Soft cheese
Double cream
Fage Greek yoghurt
Ground almonds
Pork scratchings

I did buy some stevia sweetener quite reasonably from amazon but find it is better in some recipes than others and I tend to mix it with other sweeteners, although have cut back drastically with my use of Splenda

There are loads of great recipes on these boards which can be made from stuff available in the uk.
Hope this helps

Annette
Thefram4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

very helpfull people

thank you all for this great advice, i need to stop being so lazy and just make things from scratch myself, i've just made 2 low carb / gluten free flax wraps for a snack at work tonight and they were so easy to make, thanks again A-M
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

well done on your fantastic weight loss and thanks for the advice
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Like others said, you don't have to buy low carb brand things, you can make your own low carb menu just using regular food. I don't buy low carb brand things I just buy regular food that is low in carbs. The only low carb brand things I get is every once in a while atkins bars. That's it, the rest is regular food. Just buy lettuce, eggs, meat, things like that and avoid pasta and starchy things and read labels and be aware of carb counts in food. No need to waste your money on brand name low carb things.

~The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved. ~
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hluxe
Stats: 165/165/135
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I don't buy any low carb processed products. Even the chocolate we keep in the house is incidentally low carb, not promoted as low carb.

I buy almond flour but you can make your own in the food processor. The only specialty things you really need are some sweetener (I buy Truvia and also buy stevia/erithrytol to make my own blend), a thickener (gluccoman tablets). Everything else you just buy whole foods that are low carb.

Honestly, the second I got the processed junk out of my life, the better I felt. Yeah, it takes time to make stuff from scratch but usually it ends up cheaper and yummier, anyway!
hluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
As others said, eat the LC foods you can find/afford....eggs, tuna, burger, veggies....make homemade if you need more. I lost most of mine without the addition of bought or made....mostly ate meat, eggs, salads, LC veggies.
kittycitygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

thank you all for being so helpfull, A-M
Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I think we are better off avoiding the frankenfoods. Even if you lose on them, you won't feel as good. I have to watch myself with the SF candies. They are addictive. I've started to really limit them.

Not sure what all they have in England, but here is some of what I eat here in the states:

cheese of all kinds
chicken
turkey
beef
fish
shrimp
olives
green vegetables
mushrooms
berries of all types (on OWL, but I still limit and have maybe twice a week in moderation or they will stall me)

I also make crackers with ground almond flour (that would be worth ordering if you cant find it locally) and ground flax. And I make fat bombs with natural peanut butter, Splenda and coconut oil. Yum.

I tend to eat the same thing over and over again, though. I'm a little weird in that when I like something, I will eat it for every meal and never get sick of it. I've been on a cabbage kick for two weeks. My family is sick of cabbage, but I could happily eat it for another two weeks.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
You are so much better off just eating real food and making things at home from scratch. It's very economical too--I even make my own full fat yogurt--all it costs is the milk. Try not to imitate carbage foods, just make do with meats, fish, eggs, and greens. Add some butter and life is great. It doesn't have to be expensive at all.

A Men's Fitness online article this month lists sources of cheap protein by their USD prices per gram--eggs = 38 g of protein per dollar, tuna 30 G protein per dollar, peanut butter 38 G protein per dollar. It does NOT have to be expensive.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I'm in Sweden for the year, and I think the low carb products situation is similar. But I can find the following in every grocery store, and these are plenty for me:
-coconut oil (in Sweden, it's in the butter section or in health food stores)
-stevia/erythritol mixes (next to the sugar; for the powdered variety, I go to the huge supermarket on the edge of town)
-coconut flour (in medium sized supermarkets, usually in the health food section)
-almond flour (same as above)
-unsweetened coconut (everywhere! In Sweden, this is much more common than in the US)

With these products, I can make anything I long for (with a little searching in the recipe threads).

Good luck on your LC journey! If Doncaster has a health food store, that might have some useful products for you.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
If you want to bake, you can make oopsie rolls without special ingredients. Just google for the recipe. I read about people making these all the time.

I can't eat them because I can't lose weight eating them, but a lot of people do and take pleasure in them.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote