LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I just had a HUGE revelation!!!!

I have been plodding along on my program for quite some time and slowly getting smaller and smaller.

I spend quite a lot of time over in the recipe help and suggestion board where we have some amazing talent who have devoted themselves to creating recipes that have proven, time and time again, to be amazing!

Along the road I have tried so many of the recipes designed to emulate some long gone favorites like tortillas and bread. In the spirit of finding substitutes, I have purchased things I've never heard of like psyllium husks, chia seeds, flax meal and glucomman powder.

Well, about an hour ago I tried to make a "tortilla" that many on our site seem to really like. They came out looking absolutely beautiful (I do know my way around the kitchen) and yet it was NOTHING I would care to eat.

So here is the revelation part....Instead, I made myself some fresh ham salad, sat down on the couch and said to myself...."why do you spend so much time trying to re-create something that was so harmful to your health. Not to mention that you were addicted to. The reason the regular bread tastes so good is because it has wheat, sugar all a whole host of other things that you no longer eat. Flax, seeds and and all the other things you've bought trying to re-create the wheel, you can't stand and spit out. You love eating your burgers on a plate with sauteed mushrooms, grilled lamb chops, salads with varied fresh, crunchy vegetables with full-fat blue cheese dressing, chocolate almond bark....are you really missing bread and tortillas?"

Well, the answer is no....not with the downsides they present. I finally decided that from today forward I am no longer trying to re-create a better version of something that I don't really miss. I can eat brie cheese with a spoon, right?

The bottom line is that in eating low carb I am healthier than I have been in years. There is such an abundance of fresh, wholesome foods that we have the liberty of eating. For me, trying to re-create the wheel has failed. But I don't need to anymore....so my new saying is, "focus on all the wonderful foods you can have, not what you can't have"!

Last edited by marieze; 01-14-2013 at 02:15 PM..
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I'm the same way - I don't bother with substitutes unless I have to. The furthest I'll go is using a pack of shirataki noodles once every few months or making sugar free/low carb ice cream on occasion as a treat. Other than that, I keep it simple with the foods I can eat and rarely work up analogs, even though I have many excellent recipes for them!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Now that is a major non-scale victory that will serve you very well in the long term! Congratulations!

Onward to a smaller, healthier, and satisfied you, enjoying those fresh, wholesome foods!

BTW, I eat brie cheese with my fingers.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Great realization.

I had the same one at the beginning of weight loss and I think it's one of the reasons why I've been so successful. We vilify high carb junk like white breads/pastas/potatoes, so why try to reproduce that same junk?

There are so many vegetables, types of fish, and ways to prepare meat that don't rely on any faux replacement foods.

Plus, I also think that spending too much time thinking about food and how to make these things can be harmful as well- I like not thinking about food all day long and just living my life, if I was making recipes all the time I'd be a lot hungrier and would eat a lot more.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Marie - I know what you mean - I haven't eaten bread, pasta, tortillas,pizza, french fries, potatoes, etc., in over a year. I have seen substitute recipes for a lot of those things but I have never missed them enough to try one of the replacement recipes. I am very happy eating steak, cheese, veggies, full fat salad dressing, full fat yogurt and the other yummy whole foods I eat every day.
What great post!!!

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I've struggled with this too, wondering whether its better to just eliminate these things from my diet entirely or try to emulate them with lo-carb substitutions so I don't feel deprived. I've ended up pretty much eliminating these things from my diet, although I do make a a lo-carb sweet from time to time (like that awesome avocado chocolate pudding.) But mostly I've just stopped bothering. There's plenty of good stuff to eat.

But if I find myself craving bread or other baked goods I won't say I'll never cull those recipe files. Whatever it takes.

Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I finally decided that from today forward I am no longer trying to re-create a better version of something that I don't really miss.

Outstanding!!!!
I firmly believe that by trying to duplicate the junk food we eat with healthy alternatives is setting up a fail.
IMHO your just reminding yourself that your depriving yourself of something desirable.
I did that in the beginning with flax meal too. I couldn't imagine life without bread so I made flax meal pancakes and ate them as a bread substitute. It wasn't terrible for me, I actually like the taste of the flax meal, but i did much better in my lc woe when I stopped doing that and other substitutes. It works better for me when I just avoid certain foods like I would avoid any toxic substance.
I simply do not eat certain foods.
So far so good.
Great post!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Great realization!

I had it also. but I have been only 3 months on plan and in the beginning went over to the recipe thread and asked about a few 'replacements'. I almost bought those 0 carb bagels but never did.

It dawned on me also. I am not pretending to remake the things that I am trying to avoid anymore. (I hate baking (and cooking really) so I never made any replacements. I checked into them but never did it)

I also thought about how to replace sweets. Nope. Got into checking out how to make a low carb cheesecake then I realized I don't want a cheesecake. I don't require it.

I think (for me personally) I am best on low carb fresh food and stay away from subs and fakes trying to 'get back what I lost'. What foods I lost were no prize

never in my wildest dreams would I think I would become a diehard low carb person. but I did and won't go back to the old ways ever again.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: someonelikeyou
Start Date: Re-Start January 2014
Great post!

I have really been trying to focus on what I "can eat," instead of what I "can't eat."

P.S. A little warm brie cheese on a spoon - yum!
someonelikeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
What a great attitude!!
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
I'm the same way - I don't bother with substitutes unless I have to. The furthest I'll go is using a pack of shirataki noodles once every few months or making sugar free/low carb ice cream on occasion as a treat. Other than that, I keep it simple with the foods I can eat and rarely work up analogs, even though I have many excellent recipes for them!
the only thing i do is make oopsie rolls to use for a bun once in a while, otherwise its eating good meats with melted butter, salads with full fat dressings, etc, i do not really miss anything, because we get to eat so good.....the other junk just makes me feel terrible
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
Focus on what you CAN eat and not on what you can't have... That seems to me to be the #1 reason people fall off the low carb wagon.... I've been living low carb and eating clean since October 1999 - I just keep in mind how good it makes me feel - and nothing is worth that carb hangover after an indulgence ... Well almost nothing!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taokeema
Stats: 187/145-146/122 5'3"
WOE: 40-100 g net carb, HF, IF, whole foods freak
Start Date: 2009 -10#/2011 -22#/April 2012 LCHF
hallelujah!

i skipped that route because i'm lazy and i love veggies, so i was just content to fill my plate with meats and veggies, even for breakfast. a big thing for me is that i didn't try to replace the sweets i used to like, either. i don't like the thought of using artificial sweeteners, and stevia tastes a little off so i didn't want to use it in baking, so i just skipped it, and learned to like fruit, nuts and Greek yogurt for dessert.

i think i am far better off for this. i don't crave anything but what's good for me. now if i miss a serving of veg or if chicken thighs haven't been on sale for awhile, i really miss them!
taokeema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
that's really smart of you . I do make lots of recipes that are out there, but some are big flops ~~~
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
That's awesome. I don't quite have that resolve yet. About once every few weeks, I have to bake something, whether it's 'bread' or 'cupcakes', I just really love to bake. Baking is therapeutic for me. About half the time I'm disappointed in the LC versions of recipes I find but it's not that big a deal. I just love the process.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I was excited about all the recipes when I first found the site and tried to get my family interested in it with the substitutes.

It was fun at first, but yes, with a few exceptions, I don't bother anymore.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
I understand your revelation because I had it myself. Also, it is much cheaper to just eat regular whole foods. For people on very tight budgets all the fancy substitutes aren't possible.
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Brilliant post, and I agree completely. I saw the light when I found myself making and eating low carb cheesecake, and then realised that, when NOT low carbing, I don't eat cheesecake, so why would I start when I was trying to lose weight? I can't be bothered looking for esoteric ingredients like psyllium husks (who wants to eat a husk? lol) - much easier to just eat good 'real' foods that are widely available in my usual shops.
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/203.4/175
WOE: Low Carb
Awesome!!
sports_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Making a lot of those LC substitutes for breads and desserts is how I slowly gained back most of the weight I lost in 2003. I kept telling myself that it was all SF/LC stuff, it wasn't like I was eating sugar or real bread. But the cravings came back and I was feeding them, just like when I was addicted to sugar. It took me a full 3 years and multiple attempts at induction to successfully get back on the wagon and stay there. Lesson learned! I have to skip the LC substitutes if I want the scale to go down at all. Maybe I'll make the occasional treat on holidays or something, but I can't make it a habit.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Fully embracing your way of eating is so important for long term success. The elimination of carby foods may seem a big sacrifice in the beginning but over time, it is clear that it is 'trading up'.

The biggest 'issue' for me in learning how to eat this way was I needed a 'vehicle' for things that bread used to serve. I have worked this out quite nicely but I think it is something that most people need to deal with at some point. Becoming entirely comfortable with almost always needing a fork or spoon is great. I found early on that I also needed smaller dishes. My dinner plates almost never get used anymore.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I just think baking is fun.. I am a baker and a chemist, so I like to figure out how to mix things together. Sometimes it doesn't work and it's disappointing, but sometimes you figure it out and it's really cool. I find that baking works out more frequently than chemistry, so baking new LC things is a great way to cope with being a chemist! Plus you get to eat it.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
I just think baking is fun.. I am a baker and a chemist, so I like to figure out how to mix things together. Sometimes it doesn't work and it's disappointing, but sometimes you figure it out and it's really cool. I find that baking works out more frequently than chemistry, so baking new LC things is a great way to cope with being a chemist! Plus you get to eat it.
I think there tends to be a 'bit of judgement' that comes from trying to create 'substitutes' that is a bit irrational. I think the real issue is that they may take a person outside their carb count that is good for weight loss and that is where the real issue is. JMHO!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
P.S. A little warm brie cheese on a spoon - yum!

It's amazing how much satisfaction can be derived from just one well rounded teaspoonful of something deliscious. My favorites are peanut butter (smuckers natural creamy) and jelly (polaner sf w/fiber)....It satisfy's hunger is not bad nutritionally and most of all it gets me through the evening without binging on something terrible.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
...The bottom line is that in eating low carb I am healthier than I have been in years. There is such an abundance of fresh, wholesome foods that we have the liberty of eating. For me, trying to re-create the wheel has failed. But I don't need to anymore....so my new saying is, "focus on all the wonderful foods you can have, not what you can't have"!
This is a wonderful revelation! Love what you CAN have!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #26
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I'm not sure I get the issue (maybe it's just me).
Mashed cauliflower is fine.
Making bread with coconut flour, almond flour, flax, etc is fine.
Maybe it's a point-of-view thing, but if having a mashed cauliflower keeps me from wanting mashed potatoes (not to mention getting those healthy nutrients!) , shredding zucchini in place of noodles, what is the problem with that?
(Although I agree about the cheesecake point, if it's not something you would normally eat, why add it in just for the sake of "hey it's low-carb!").
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I generally agree, I am more interested in what I can eat than what I can't. However I have a 10 year old son who is carb-addicted and I need to help him eat better. So for now I am experimenting with substitutes that he will accept and won't feel deprived. Baby steps.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
If I can't get an ingredient at the Whole Foods or in the local shops in my town, I won't make it. So alot of substitutes are out for me, but I have recently used almond flour in a few things, and so far have no problem with it. I don't bother with bread substitutes, either, and I've never been a fan of sweets so I don't have to deal with that...
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKimber
Stats: 16/8/10-12 - 5'5" - 41
WOE: Atkins/Gluten-free
Start Date: Dec 03
Great post! Thanks for sharing.
MsKimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Plus, I also think that spending too much time thinking about food and how to make these things can be harmful as well- I like not thinking about food all day long and just living my life, if I was making recipes all the time I'd be a lot hungrier and would eat a lot more.
this was huge for me. and i'm also lucky that i can practically eat the same thing day after day and it's easier and cheaper for me. My sister said she just couldn't do it..she needs variety and wants to look forward to dinner.. i told her that i still look forward to a special event meal, but i want to think about food as fuel and not the highlight of my day.kwim?
Tammy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote