Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #31

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
that's great! personally, I still find the carb-alikes the only thing that keeps me sane. meat? yucko to the max. LOL

I still have to control the carb-alikes carefully, but something as simple as putting boiled daikon cubes in a soup to emulate potatoes makes such a lovely difference. and fake cooked apples/apple filling with chayotes are a lifesaver. not to mention the flax muffins that keep me regular and happy.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I'm with you, Marieze!

I don't spend much time trying to make substitutes for carby dishes. I'm moving towards whole foods, and away from processed foods - and trying to make baked goods out of low carb ingredients requires a lot of processing! How does that make sense?
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
great post and right on the money!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Flake
Stats: 225
I couldn't agree more with your revalation. A plate of roast chicken and a pile of green beans is about as perfect for me as a meal gets. Not only that but the simpler you keep things the more affordable it is. Processed food is one of the reasons I'm drawn towards my simple woe. The funny thing is I am a carreer chef for work, yet I've always eaten so simple at home, not becasue I don't want to cook, just that I feel like food in general is over-sensationalised in our culture. People in general take it way too seriously IMO.

Honestly If I'm feeling like I want some pizza or something, then I'll just schedule a day in to eat some pizza, not an entire day of cheating, just a couple slices, followed by clean eating. I feel like if you do this every couple weeks and don't be a complete glutton about it well then maybe its not always a bad thing. It's the immediately going back to eating clean that will mess most people up.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
that's great! personally, I still find the carb-alikes the only thing that keeps me sane. meat? yucko to the max. LOL
Are you saying that you don't like meat? For real??? Well, me neither, really. I thought I was the only one because everyone is always go on and on about how this is the yummiest possible way to eat. But seriously, I would not be heavy if this was the yummiest possible way to eat. I actually don't hate meat, it's alright. It would just never be in my top ten list of things I'd want to eat if I was eating freely.

Back in 2000 when I first started low carbing, I did all of the frankenfoods (at least tried them all, they were pretty horrible) and lots of recipes for carb replacements. They were never as satisfying as real food and I think the mindset that I could low carb as if I wasn't low carbing didn't help me stay on plan. Now I don't do any of those things, but I would really like to get my kids to eat way less wheat and other grains, so I'm thinking of doing bacon and eggs for b'fast (hard to wrap my mind around getting up early enough for that, though) and make some sort of almond pound cake or muffins for their lunch box. I think it would be a wonderfully nutritious item for them, but I'm scared I'll be super tempted and over eat it, since technically I could have some. Right now, though, I never eat anything that calorie dense or carb dense, either. So I'll have to think long and hard before I make some.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
marieze - I'm with you! I have tried so many subs and all of them are meh. I do keep some coconut flour and almond meal on hand for quick muffins or breading, etc. but that is about the extent of my baking. Now cheesecake, I will make! I do love the regular dishes in the recipe forum though, have you tried the jalapeno popper chicken? Heaven on a plate!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taokeema
Stats: 187/145-146/122 5'3"
WOE: 40-100 g net carb, HF, IF, whole foods freak
Start Date: 2009 -10#/2011 -22#/April 2012 LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
The elimination of carby foods may seem a big sacrifice in the beginning but over time, it is clear that it is 'trading up'.
beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
The biggest 'issue' for me in learning how to eat this way was I needed a 'vehicle' for things that bread used to serve. I have worked this out quite nicely but I think it is something that most people need to deal with at some point.
yes. i make a deviled ham spread that i love. i found out that i liked it wrapped in wilted collard leaves far better than on bread! i like lettuce wraps for less intensely flavored fillings, like roast beef & cheddar. but like you, most of the time i'm using a fork or spoon.

i love the foods i eat now. i'm motivated to continue this because of how good it makes me feel, in addition to how delicious it is. this WOE is most definitely 'trading up!'
taokeema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
do you make your own ham spread ? Or did you buy it premade ? I haven't had that in years .......
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
I couldn't agree more with your revalation. A plate of roast chicken and a pile of green beans is about as perfect for me as a meal gets. Not only that but the simpler you keep things the more affordable it is. Processed food is one of the reasons I'm drawn towards my simple woe. The funny thing is I am a carreer chef for work, yet I've always eaten so simple at home, not becasue I don't want to cook, just that I feel like food in general is over-sensationalised in our culture. People in general take it way too seriously IMO.

Honestly If I'm feeling like I want some pizza or something, then I'll just schedule a day in to eat some pizza, not an entire day of cheating, just a couple slices, followed by clean eating. I feel like if you do this every couple weeks and don't be a complete glutton about it well then maybe its not always a bad thing. It's the immediately going back to eating clean that will mess most people up.
I totally agree and am the same way. I'd rather just have simple lc meals all week and if I really want something like a piece of cake then I will make a homemade one with real sugar once in a while and have a little and share the rest rather than making faux imitations all the time full of artificial sweeteners and other special lc ingredients.

And, like someone else said, before lcing, I didn't eat sweets everyday or stuff like pizza or ultra cheesy things full of calories, so why would I start now?

Last edited by nolcjunk; 01-16-2013 at 08:50 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taokeema
Stats: 187/145-146/122 5'3"
WOE: 40-100 g net carb, HF, IF, whole foods freak
Start Date: 2009 -10#/2011 -22#/April 2012 LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
do you make your own ham spread ? Or did you buy it premade ? I haven't had that in years .......
i make my own. it's pretty simple, just mince ham in the food processor, and add mayo, minced onion, pickle relish and garlic powder.
taokeema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post

I still have to control the carb-alikes carefully, but something as simple as putting boiled daikon cubes in a soup to emulate potatoes makes such a lovely difference. and fake cooked apples/apple filling with chayotes are a lifesaver. not to mention the flax muffins that keep me regular and happy.
If you count using vegetable subs in a soup or a casserole, then I do that too. I love to find different ways to use sauces that traditionally go on top of pasta or potatoes as well.

So, I guess, count me in the sub-club after all.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #42
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
If you count using vegetable subs in a soup or a casserole, then I do that too. I love to find different ways to use sauces that traditionally go on top of pasta or potatoes as well.

So, I guess, count me in the sub-club after all.
Or maybe instead of thinking of these foods as substitutes, they could be better described as 'improved' versions.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
This is the key for me now too. I think thats why I failed last time - trying to find "legal" ways of eating stuff that was making me sick and ending up just eating the real thing.

It is 2.5 weeks now, and the cravings are GONE. Cookies, donuts, bags of pretzels - my work is overrunning with junk, and even if I am uber hungry, I am not even tempted by any of it. That wasn't the case before, but changing the mindset to what I can eat from what I can't (and the desperate attempts to mimic what I can't) finally flipped that switch!

Now, I do have things on hand for recipes that call for wheat/sugar (like chili and certain soups) - almond and coconut flour - but I am no longer trying to make muffins and the like. If I am really craving pizza or something, I can get gluten free pizza dough, but the carbs are like 300x the carbs in regular flour, so don't bother with that often.
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Bread is now like a cardboard holder for the yummy innards! Why bother with the hassle? Just slap it all in a bowl and grab a fork! Less mess, less carbs, just as yum!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Your post really helped me focus today, Mari.
and I can not pass up this opportunity to say:
W00T, girl!!!
Look at your stats.
You are amazing and a true inspiration.
So happy to be posting with you.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Good post. Really makes you think. I'm bumping.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Great post, love your way of thinking!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote