Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Newbie Introducing Herself (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794387-newbie-introducing-herself.html)

nikkis 01-13-2013 04:04 PM

Newbie Introducing Herself

I am probably in the wrong place, but I wanted to formally introduce myself and give a little info about myself. Im 32, female, and weigh nearly 300 pounds. I am literally at my wits end. When I lay down to sleep at night, sometimes I wonder if I am going to wake up the next day. When I do wake up, I am faced with dressing for the day in clothing that seems to get tighter every day. I have very limited choices for clothing, and not becsause I cant afford to buy them, but because I hate shopping for clothes. So, I generally find myself in one of the half dozen pair of stretchy capri pants that i wear, no matter the weather along with a mens t-shirt, size 4x - Thankfully, i work at home because i cant stand going out of the house, because all i can ever think about is that i am literally the largest person in the room no matter where we go. Not only that, but going places where i might need to sit down poses a problem, because the chairs that have armrests on them tend to be too small for me, thus I usually get to miss out on Movies, restauraunts, theater, and airplane rides. I used to be an outgoing person, and now i am depressed..never wear makeup..and always throw my hair in a pony tail.

I do have plans, lots and lots of plans..but i cant seem to get past the fact that no matter what i want in life or what i would like to experience, that i am completely hindered by my size. And so.......here i am. Ready to make a change. My doctor told me that i would do good on a low carb diet. He wants me to cut out sodium cuz my bp is high most of the time, although he hasnt tossed me on meds yet..i assume he will unless he sees a change. I am living in texas right now, but originally from wyo...supposed to go home in june, but i cant go home looking like this. I need help now, and i need to see 40-50 plds come off by then...i dont know if its possible, but im willing to try anything...

Erin57 01-13-2013 04:59 PM

Hi Nikkis!! You have stumbled onto a great place to get support and get started.

Have you read any low carb books or plans?

You can find great info and support in the low carb lobby.

Mistizoom 01-25-2013 04:21 PM

Hi Nikkis! Welcome. How are you doing? I have similar stats to you though I'm 11 years older. I have lost 27 lbs (maybe more, we'll see tomorrow morning) in just over 2 months eating very low carb. You definitely can do it! It's great your doctor is supportive of low carb, so many still chant the low fat mantra. Please stick around, there is lots of good info and support here.

Julie1972 01-25-2013 08:10 PM

Welcome! This way of eating is a very effective weight loss method and it is pretty easy to learn. If you are going to try Atkins, I recommend reading one of his books. It really helps to understand what your body is doing and why sticking to the eating plan is so critical. Good luck and come to the forum often as it is an excellent source of information and encouragement. Stay strong! You can do this and you will be very happy you did!!

Adoug4ho 01-26-2013 06:00 AM

Welcome friend!! This board is amazing! So many people who are living the same WOE and are supportive and ready to share their personal experiences. Along with reading a book, I recommend visiting these boards daily. I'm on here all the time :) It's my favorite lunch break activity. Good luck and keep positive!

Patkid 01-26-2013 07:17 AM

Hi, Nikkis!
Welcome.
Please stick around.
I have a feeling that you will be an inspiring success story! I feel your determination to change your body right through the 'net!
Learning LC eatin is easy peasy! I just read a post (wish I could find it now) and the writer said: " I just eat meat, eggs, some cheese, and fats" or something like that. It reminded me to keep it simple. Dr. Atkins books are easy to read and understand.
Blessings.

tymom 01-26-2013 08:32 AM

Hi Nikkis. I second the suggestions to read the Atkins book. I also strongly recommend Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat" book. it is very important to understand the WHYs not just the HOW of lowcarb. And, please read some of the threads on this board. You will get lots of great ideas, tips and support!!

Best of luck and Welcome!! You will do great!

lterry913 01-26-2013 08:36 AM

HI...pick a plan and read the book and follow it ...it helps immensely because they have researched the plan to make it work...winging it can lead to a lot of mistakes because of hidden carbs etc...the book will help you to understand why the plan you choose is or is not working. I chose Atkins...and if you do go very low carb cutting salt at first may not be a good idea as you will be losing a lot of water weight. Some have to even increase potassium or salt to avoid muscle cramping.
There is a lot of info...read and read more...this will keep your mind off of obsessing over food.
Good luck And WELCOME to our boards...you can do this and feel better every step of the way...don't forget to post often, it keeps you accountable.
The book Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes explains why being fat is not your fault it is a medical condition. Read this little article it's a summary of the book.
http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/upl...e-Feb-2011.pdf
This article started me on my way and changed my life...it is very short and an easy read...once again good luck.

Phranquie 01-26-2013 08:56 AM

Welcome Nikkis! You can do this. You can have the life you want. The first couple of weeks can be difficult but they don't have to be. My recommendation is to get rid of your carby food in the house. If you live with others put that food in a separate cabinet and do not open that cabinet, the stuff in there is like poison to you. Then get the best, freshest, LC foods that you love. When in the market go around the perimeter of the store, you don't need to look at most things in the center aisle. Get meats, cheeses, eggs, fresh veggies, butter. If you are hungry, then eat but only until you are satisfied. The first few days you'll eat more than normal, then you will taper off a bit naturally. Drink lots of fluids!

I would definitely read up and find a LC plan that will suit your lifestyle. Then stick to the plan. You will lose rapidly the first two weeks, then around the third week you won't lose anything for a couple of weeks. This is normal. I didn't lose for three weeks. Then you'll start losing again.

Also, take some pics of yourself now. You might not want to but when you cannot see it in the mirror you'll be able to see it in the photos. If you are like me you've been in stretchy pants and probably don't know exactly what size you are. I felt like I did not drop any sizes until I lost about 60lbs. Then WHAM,,,I was suddenly in smaller clothes. Also take your measurements. When you have weeks where you do not lose you will often be losing inches.

Join a daily thread to get information, support and motivation. There are many groups and challenges. You might like the Century Club which is specifically for those of us who need to loose 100+. People there will understand what you are going through.

Good luck on the journey to the new slimmer you. LC can be life changing.

adiasmc1 01-26-2013 09:08 AM

Hi Nikkis! Just wanted to say welcome and good job for taking the first step and reaching out! These boards are THE ABSOLUTE BEST. This is the place to come if you need help or support!

Lots of great advice above, I second getting some books...Atkins and Taubes and if you can, watch Fathead...it is on Netflix if you have it.

Good luck. You can do this! You have your whole life ahead of you!

If you need help or have question, please ask!

reddarin 01-26-2013 09:18 AM

Fat Head has also been released on YouTube by one of Tom Naughton's authorized distributors. He mentions it on his blog.

And!! There is an 8 minute follow up that has come out too:

:)

LiterateGriffin 01-26-2013 01:53 PM

So many of us come here sounding exactly like you, Nikki.

It's awful, that place where you've "bottomed out", and just can't stand the sight of yourself anymore, and when your weight and size start interfering with normal activities.

You're in the right place, here. Your life is about to get so much better, on every level.

There are a number of "versions" of low-carb. They all have the same backbone, though: Eliminate ALL sugars and processed starches. Gone. You do not eat those things anymore. Throw them away, give them away, whatever. They are not food, any more than laundry detergent is food.

LIMIT the rest of your carbs, severely. (For Atkins, which clearly I follow, it's less than 20 grams of carbs per day, not counting fiber.)

EAT as much as you want, whenever you are hungry, particularly high-fat foods. Butter is OK, lowfat yogurt is not. Don't eat a boiled egg if you can devil it instead. No egg-white omelets -- Use the whole egg, and toss in some olives, avocado, and cheese. (Watch portions on all of these, for the carb-count... but you want those good fats in there!)

As much as possible, eat whole foods, and ideally from organic/grass-fed origins.

Eat animals, and things made from animals.

And before you know it, you'll STOP feeling hungry all the time, you'll have more energy... and those clothes will stop being so tight.

This is a new way of thinking about eating for many, and so I give you some quick info:

LiterateGriffin 01-26-2013 01:54 PM

Sorry -- got chased out the door with my reply open but not posted. So glad someone found the full "Fathead", that's the other one I was looking for to share with you!

Britt1975 01-26-2013 07:15 PM

Welcome to the friendliest place on earth! Like others here I would recommend Dr. Atkins book. Any of them will work, but I have found the most success with Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution printed in 1992.

My one biggest piece of advice is not to quit - I have, over and over again - and each time I restart, I find that it's harder and harder to lose weight. So stick with it, no matter what! If you slip up- just keep going. Too many times I've thrown in the towel, and I want to cry to think about where I could be if I'd just stuck with it the very first time.

My next piece of advice is to read the whole book first (whatever book you choose) know what you're doing from the start and be prepared to follow through. If you get done reading the book and think "I'll never be able to stick to that," then you should find a different plan and read a different book. Find the plan that you think you can stick to and work through all the way.

My last piece of advice is stock up on Powerade Zero and chicken broth. The first few days of low carb can really zap your energy. It's called the induction flu. Just be extra good to yourself those days. Take it easy, rest when you need to and drink plenty of fluids, including chicken broth and Powerade Zero (or some other zero carb electrolyte replacement drink).

We are all rooting for you!

Darkginger 01-27-2013 01:53 AM

Hello :)

I can really identify with what you said about wearing the same old stretch clothes all the time, not wanting to leave the house, and dreading going home because of your weight - that was me last July when I had to come back to my home town for my Dad's 85th birthday. I felt really bad, and that's what got me back to low carbing. Since then, on Atkins (more or less) I've lost 56 lbs (15 to go to first goal, then I'll see how I feel) - and you can too.

If you've not tried low carbing before, be prepared for a surprise - it's not like other diets where you feel deprived and hungry a lot of the time - you can actually enjoy this way of eating! If you read Gary Taubes (I recommend 'Why We Get Fat') you'll realise that weight isn't a moral issue - it's not about lack of willpower, it's a metabolic consequence. By making some changes to the food choices you make (ie, cutting out carby foods), you can lose the weight and still feel satisfied.

I'm an Atkins person all the way - I think it's the simplest and most logical way to low carb (obviously, other plans are out there, and many people have success with them), because it doesn't just show you how to lose weight, it teaches you how to eat in a way that means you can sustain your weight loss in the long term (if you stick to it - lesson learned, because I failed to maintain the first time I did this, which is why I'm back!).

The first 2 weeks can be a bit tough, as you make the necessary changes in your diet - but put your head down and work through them, and before you know it your cravings will go, and you'll feel so much more in control of your eating - after which it's just a case of carrying on doing what you're doing until you're at the weight you want to be. It's that simple.

As Britt said above - the secret is to find a way of eating that you can enjoy - that way it's easy to stick to. When you're eating foods you love (which in my case is eggs and bacon, steak, chicken curries, fresh tuna steaks, prawns/shrimp etc.), it almost feels like cheating, because we're so conditioned to think of weight loss as something that's hard to do, and which takes huge amounts of effort, self-denial and willpower. For me, low carbing doesn't really take any of those, it's just day after day of eating foods I enjoy!

I'm now wearing my 3X T-shirts to bed, because they look silly as 'clothes', and have developed a nasty eBay habit (my poor credit card) of buying new, smaller T-shirts, leggings, skirts and all manner of things I could only look at and sigh 5 months ago. I'm back at Dad's again, and feel SO much better - I've even dared to meet up with old friends who hadn't seen me for 15 years, which I could NOT have done last July. Losing the weight has been SO worth it - and you can do this too, I promise you.

Very best of luck as you're starting out, and do use this board every day - read and post, read and post - there's so much support and knowledge here - and remember- you CAN do this!

Sharon 01-27-2013 05:09 PM

Welcome to LCF with your first post