Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nomorepepsi
Stats: 250/243/135
WOE: Modified Greysheeters
Start Date: January 2013
OMG! Why are refreshments always wine, soda, and crackers?

Hi,

I happen to go to my share of book readings, lectures, and parties here in New York City, and I'm dismayed by the refreshment offerings... it's always something high-carb/low-fat, like wine, beer, soft drinks, and crackers... the cheese is okay, but what's wrong with some hard boiled eggs or sashimi? Are the people holding the event trying to be cheap? Or do they believe the myths of the mainstream health complex?

What do you all have to say?

Behlor
nomorepepsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Sashimi!? Wouldn't it be awesome if book readings and lectures provided sashimi

Usually these events are free, yes? A lot of low-carb options are expensive. And providing food that needs to be kept hot or cold (like eggs or sashimi) is also more expensive.

When I go to events like these I eat the cheese, a little fruit if it's offered, and have a small glass of wine if I want it. I eat a real meal before, hopefully, so I'm not too hungry anyway.

You could also throw a few eggs or some jerky or something in your purse to take with you. Unfortunately the world won't adjust to us, so we have to fend for ourselves.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Hi, Leeloo! It's good to see you here again.

I imagine that, along with cost issues, there are also concerns about risk of food poisoning, etc. with food that can't be kept safely at room temperature for several hours. Thank goodness for raw vegetables and cheese (and nuts in our purses, as needed)!

I've tried to get out of the habit of eating at events, and sticking to meals to consume food. My workplace has 3 or more speaker series happening every week, and there are usually snacks--sweet/carby snacks for the most part--offered to people who attend. Just as I've gotten into the habit of thinking "I don't eat that," I'm trying to get into the habit of saying to myself, "I don't eat now," and focus on the speaker while sipping water, tea, or coffee, period.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Leeloo and Sven,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice... sashimi would be cool as refreshment... but only in Heaven

I went to a support group today, and they had coffee -- with the white sugar -- and plenty of doughnuts and cookies... yikes! I had my say at the group, but inside, I remembered my motto: don't eat no matter what. I had a delicious, low-carb dinner awaiting me in a hour. It's un-PC, but I believe that no sugary carb taste as good as thin. I stood my ground and survived another day.

Behlor
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I just say no thanks. It works.

I had company over the weekend & had repeated offers of wine at several meals eaten at a relative's home and restaurants. I had tea or water.

I skipped the pre-meal snacks everywhere. I did not need them. I was not planning on them for my meal so I was not feeling deprived. It did not bother me or anyone else that I skipped them.

I took my own entree to a relative's home for dinner because I knew she was serving pasta.

The only time I really expect food to be on my plan is when I prepare it.

It is only a big deal if we make it one. We make it one when we do not plan & prepare.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Deb,

Thanks for the advice on bringing your own food... I'm visiting my mom tomorrow, and she inhales cookies, pies, bagels -- she's a hopeless carb addict, and has high blood pressure too! I just may make some shrimp, veggies, and salad for dinner at her house... she always considered me weird, but I don't care! Behlor
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thanks for sharing your good examples, Behlor and Diamond Deb. I think that eating low carb helps me avoid the blood sugar swings that make hunger feel like an emergency--so it's easier to say no and wait until my regular (delicious) meals. And staying on plan while eating lowcarb helps me eat mindfully, so I don't follow the "I see food, I eat food" pattern. I'm sure that my colleagues who routinely line up for snacks at talks aren't all hungry; it just doesn't occur to them to say no if free food is laid out.

The end of your post is a great summary, Diamond Deb. I don't mind shopping for and preparing on-plan food, because, as you say "The only time I really expect food to be on my plan is when I prepare it." And how true that "It is only a big deal if we make it one. We make it one when we do not plan & prepare."
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taokeema
Stats: 187/145-146/122 5'3"
WOE: 40-100 g net carb, HF, IF, whole foods freak
Start Date: 2009 -10#/2011 -22#/April 2012 LCHF
i always carry raw almonds with me, everywhere. it only takes a few plus some water to satisfy me. they are my armor against every food i meet out in the world!

i made a commitment to eating (mostly) whole foods almost two years ago. knowing how much better my homemade goodies tastes also helps me forgo the carby freebies most often offered at events. as long as i'm prepared and not hungry, i have no problem waiting until i get home.
taokeema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
A co-worker of my Husband invited us to his place for dinner next Saturday. He's serving Thai food. SIGH. I love Thai but I don't think there is any way I can have anything at that dinner without going down the road to carbs-ville.

I told my husband I'm going to eat dinner before I go and then just pick at everything. I'm fat so they'll just assume I'm on a diet, anyways.
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I think they are providing cheap food with low perishibility. Crackers you pour out of a box, cheese is easy, Wine and soda can be cheap. No effort required.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I think part of it is cost, as mentioned - crackers, pasta, carby foods are tasty and cheap.

The other part is that not all people think of low carb as the healthiest diet. If they wanted to do healthy they would put out lowfat stuff, which still wouldnt be helpful to us.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote