Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avellaneda View Post
Good question: I think the LC lifestyle can, if not properly approached, turn into a catch-22. Since starting, I find myself thinking/borderline obsessing about food more than ever before. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a very good thing to pay attention to how certain foods impact the blood sugar instead of mindlessly popping candy or chocolate for quick energy, but I've never constantly thought about food in as much detail as much as I did on my first month of induction.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but I began to realize that LC required a whole new way of thinking about food.
Makes a lot of sense. I call it the 'new diet syndrome' and it is necessary in the long run.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #32

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think it falls into two camps,

1. those who "slip up" or on purpose eat a carby meal or two and just never look back. FOr some of us, it can be THAT slippery a slope! You just think you are off plan for a bit, then figure out it's been 9 months and you have gained back 75 lb or something!

2. People who just start eating a LITTLE more carbs and a LITTLE more food and slowly edge over the line to where they are gaining and not losing. Portion creep and carb creep are deadly!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I got thin and thought that "I'm normal now so I can eat what I want"

I've done that 3 times. I'm hoping I've learned my lesson
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i am too easily seduced by the dark side of the force.

after a while, i want what THEY are having. It is as simple as that for me. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I wouldn't say that I quit, I just modified it greatly to fit my lifestyle.

I would say that I was very dogmatic about low carb and Paleo in 2011. Those who are close to me and had to suffer my constant talking/preaching about it would probably agree.

For me, it just wasn't sustainable. VLC makes me feel like crap. I had a contant edgy feeling. I would wake up early in the morning with a feeling of impending doom. Anxiety?

I started to feel better when I added more carbs.

I'm still on what would be considered a low carb diet. Mostly lean meat, veggies for lunch but I let dinner take care of itself. I focus more on the nutritional value of food now and what will give me energy and help my mood and immune system.

I started eating in an 8 hour window this year and it has changed how I eat greatly. It just seemed to allow me to look at hunger and to not overeat. I only need about 1-2 cups of food for lunch and supper. If I eat more than that, I feel very uncomfortable. I miss my veggies if I don't get enough.

Last edited by Erin57; 01-13-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taokeema
Stats: 187/145-146/122 5'3"
WOE: 40-100 g net carb, HF, IF, whole foods freak
Start Date: 2009 -10#/2011 -22#/April 2012 LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
For me, it just wasn't sustainable. VLC makes me feel like crap. I had a contant edgy feeling. I would wake up early in the morning with a feeling of impending doom. Anxiety?

I started to feel better when I added more carbs.

I'm still on what would be considered a low carb diet. Mostly lean meat, veggies for lunch but I let dinner take care of itself. I focus more on the nutritional value of food now and what will give me energy and help my mood and immune system.
that feeling of impending doom is a hallmark of depression, and anxiety and depression go hand in hand. i find that keeping fat between 65 and 70% really takes off the edge. i don't have any trouble hitting that mark with regular (not lean) meats, full-fat cheese and yogurt, HWC for my coffee, and sauteed (not steamed) veg. balances nicely with moderate protein and even more moderate carbs.

Last edited by taokeema; 01-13-2013 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: added last line.
taokeema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
Probably boredom the first time. I ate pretty much the same foods over and over, and just got tired of it. Like someone above said...I want what they have! Also I eat for emotional reasons, and once I let the "carb monster" out, then it is REALLY hard to lock him up again. This time I have focused on how much better I really do feel eating this way. i have read the whole book this time, plus lots of others. There is a wealth of info out there and I have decided to try recipes and buy ingredients so that I won't get sooo bored with the food choices. I have also learned to add more healthy fat (did not do that the first time) and this really helps keep you satisfied. I have learned that for me....this has to be a way of life and NOT a diet. I can not eat any other way for my health.
lonestarstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by taokeema View Post
that feeling of impending doom is a hallmark of depression, and anxiety and depression go hand in hand. i find that keeping fat between 65 and 70% really takes off the edge. i don't have any trouble hitting that mark with regular (not lean) meats, full-fat cheese and yogurt, HWC for my coffee, and sauteed (not steamed) veg. balances nicely with moderate protein and even more moderate carbs.
We are all just different in this, that is what makes an interesting forum. I cannot handle dairy; and fat, well, just makes me fat.

I am not afraid of fat and use quite alot of coconut oil. For me, less food and more nutrient dense food was the key.

Last edited by Erin57; 01-13-2013 at 03:51 PM..
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pentimenti
Stats: 290/256/176 (primary goal glucose control)
WOE: LC/my own thing
Start Date: September 2012
I did the 4-hour body (slo carbs) thing for a few months in the beginning of 2012. I let that go when my dad was diagnosed with cancer and died within the month.

I was also getting more than tired of beans. But it worked fairly well and my blood sugar was stable and so on.

That indulgence, of letting that go, coincided with the doctor putting me on insulin. Insulin "worked" for a short period of time, but then my glucose readings kept going up as well as the amount of insulin I was taking. I gained 30 pounds. I resorted to low carb to stop the vicious cycle.

I still eat beans as my carby indulgence, because it does not raise my blood glucose readings. I don't do it often, but it's a handy buffer between me at the high sugar, high starch world.
pentimenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
We are all just different in this, that is what makes an interesting forum. I cannot handle dairy; and fat, well, just makes me fat.

I am not afraid of fat and use quite alot of coconut oil. For me, less food and more nutrient dense food was the key.
it's all an experiment, isn't it?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentimenti View Post
I did the 4-hour body (slo carbs) thing for a few months in the beginning of 2012. I let that go when my dad was diagnosed with cancer and died within the month.

I was also getting more than tired of beans. But it worked fairly well and my blood sugar was stable and so on.

That indulgence, of letting that go, coincided with the doctor putting me on insulin. Insulin "worked" for a short period of time, but then my glucose readings kept going up as well as the amount of insulin I was taking. I gained 30 pounds. I resorted to low carb to stop the vicious cycle.

I still eat beans as my carby indulgence, because it does not raise my blood glucose readings. I don't do it often, but it's a handy buffer between me at the high sugar, high starch world.
thank you for sharing this, pentiment. i don't have a meter, but i feel it when i eat high sugar or high starch, but not when i eat beans, and i really like their fiber. it is good to hear a real person echo what i read in the charts about beans having a low glycemic impact.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I haven't had a full-fledged fall off the wagon, but I've dangled my legs over the side a few times.

Usually it's because I get tired of all the prep involved with this WOE. The shopping, planning, cooking, etc. get tiring after a while. I'm not the most organized person in the world anyway, so it's a lot of effort for me to stay on track.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
The only reason I ever quit is because when you are busy, on the run, and sometimes have to grab & go, or there's no time for breakfast, or dinner is almost always late... It is far more easy to just have regular things that are available to most other people. I'm not talking about bingeing and craving sugar here. I mean simply that you go to a restaurant or market for ready to go meals etc... There's a chicken enchilada, or pot roast & potato, or salad, or sandwich. Regular portion serving for one, and it's a food/combo that most people can have. When I am hungry now, I don't have time to mess around. It's carby, or 'saucy' or fruity. If I don't plan ahead, I am a sinking ship with LC'ing.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #44
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I quit lc because I started re-gaining weight, even though I was staying on my plan, and I decided to look into other options. That led me to JUDDD/IF, which for me works better. I'm now 9.5lbs from goal and getting ready to transition into maintenance

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-14-2013 at 05:31 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I quit lc because I started re-gaining weight, even though I was staying on my plan, and I decided to look into other options. That led me to JUDDD/IF, which for me works better. I'm now 9.5lbs from goal and getting ready to transition into maintenance
i've been doing this less than a year. it's good to know that result is possible. thank you, Sara.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I never 'quit' but I allowed stress to over-rule me and it started with one intentional off plan meal. I then went on to years of 'off plan' all the while trying desperately to get back on plan. I have been on plan for 3+yrs. this go around and am determined to never allow that to happen again. I now know my parameters and don't mess with them.
My story is very similar. I was "cheat free" for many years. Life happened and the dam broke. It was rough getting back on track. I did alot of damage to my body and health from my eating free fall. Never again.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #47
Lyn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyn
I quit after trying Atkins the first time because I didn't count calories and ate too much of my favorite fatty proteins. I have since learned moderation and weigh everything which really makes a difference.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KimmieCat
Stats: 224/166/150
WOE: Low-carb/no processed food
Start Date: 13 January 2012
I don't know if I quit so much as slipped. This fall my husband started working at a donut shop and would bring home donuts every now and then. I resisted for a couple months, but then decided I would have one donut on Saturday night. Well that became Friday and Saturday nights. And then Sunday morning. And then every morning. And one day I was working at home and found that I mindlessly ate 25+ donut holes while writing. We decided to cut out donuts at the New Year and I've lost the 4 or so pounds I gained. But for me it was proximity. The donuts were there. At first I didn't even really like them, but soon they became delicious and irresistible.
KimmieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
Because I'm not worth it. No matter how prepped I am dh always tries to sabatoge me by making me feel guilty if I do not eat the "treats" he's brought home. I am not assigning blame to him, I just give in too easily.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
To be honest I thought I could go back to the way I was eating as long as I stuck to portion control and not re-gain. It was soooo NOT the case!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /218.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I was having great success, felt better than I'd felt in years, and was the Incredible Shrinking Woman....

...and then I got a positive pregnancy test, and my first thought was, "well, there goes all that hard work!"

At the time, I knew it "wasn't safe" to do the levels of Atkins I was doing while pregnant. What I DIDN'T know was what WAS safe. I'm high-risk anyway (in danger of dropping dead from blood clots during pregnancy), and so tried to follow the prescribed diet. It was hard, going back to eating grains. My husband had to help me. I felt terrible, I had IBS again, it was horrible.

Then 6 months of nursing, when it still "wasn't safe"... And then I had a baby who loved his solid food -- and would happily shove his food in my mouth! (No joke!) I DID manage to restart Atkins... and then I promptly got pregnant again.....

If I'd had the support of a forum like this back then, I probably would have stuck to what was working for me. It was HARD for me to quit, and I didn't like it. If I'd had the help of people who knew and understood this way of eating and the medical implications, I might have been able to find safe levels while sticking to foods that didn't make me sick.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #52

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
It's hard to break an addiction. You make it sound as if quitting is how one ends up eating carbs again, but that implies a choice. I don't think I've ever made a reasoned decision to start eating carbs again, anymore than a heroin addict decides to get high again.

Yes, similar to an alcoholic tht has a drink and is sent back to the depths of the addiction once more
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
For me, I had met the goals I had at that point, but mostly I started law school, and it became an eat what you can when you can before another class, study group or review class. Started running to subway and McDonald's, since they were close to school, sandwiches from the cafeteria, not a lot of time to cook or work out, and living in NYC at the time in the east village, reduced access to good grocery stores with a lot of produce or meat selections. Then it was too hectic to try and I realized I had gained the weight back

eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
For me it's the whole addiction thing too. It's always lurking, ready to pounce, especially with any kind of emotional trigger.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #55

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
For me it's the whole addiction thing too. It's always lurking, ready to pounce, especially with any kind of emotional trigger.
so true

When i does happen, and it may.....The important thing is to pick yourself up and get back to a healthy WOE as soon as possible....reduce the damage physically and mentally.

Last edited by kittycitygirl; 01-16-2013 at 06:13 AM..
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Randy
Stats: 277/247/187
addiction, stress, depression.....blame nothing or no one but me.......

Now though, some back and knee issues (along with age) and its not only the best way for me, it's necessary. Very fortunate I didn't eat my way to diabetes.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
I started 12 years ago and never looked back.... I did start/stop other diets though, but once I started low carb and lost the weight in the first year, I never quit lc after that.
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
After 8 long months of low carbing and NEVER ever indulging in cheats I had a cheat weekend with the girls and ate as much sugar as I could. After that I found it impossible to ignore the sugar cravings and found myself at a 24 hour grocery store buying jellybeans at 1am. This was many years ago and I have gone off and on low carb ever since. It is the only thing that works but yes it can be hard to stick to. The hardest thing is living with a partner who is not low carbing. I think having that food in the house is very hard and I am glad I don't have to worry about it anymore since my SO is doing this with me.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Let's face it. Potato chips, pie, cake, bread, pasta, candy all are heavy carbs and we fall into their 'spell'. It's hard work to avoid them in our SAD eating world. We have to consciously choose to eat another way. So, we brush ourselves off and go back to what we know is where we should be with our eating plan. It is a battle, but it is a battle we can win. Our lives have too much value to let junk wreck them.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spirilis
Stats: 265/230/200; 5'11"
WOE: N.Ketosis
Start Date: Dec 2010
It stopped working, and my knowledge of LC dieting wasn't as developed as it is now. It's hard to continue to have faith in something that's not working for you.

So I looked for other ideas, like Tim Ferriss's slow-carb (mainly the cheat-day idea), Intermittent Fasting, etc. and basically ended up going to a higher-carb/starch diet that wasn't really controlled, however I still ate a lot of the LC foods I'd becomed accustomed to, just there was more starch & sugar alongside them. Gained & lost, dialling back some of the starch & sugar here and there, but didn't make much progress (didn't gain everything back either).

Now that I have Phinney & Volek's words from The Art & Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living in my head, I understand the pitfalls I ran into--eating too much, and particularly eating too much protein (carb-creep's close cousin, protein-creep, particularly from snacking). I'm at it again and it seems to be working better now that I control my portions & overall food intake. It's easy to fall into those traps without really understanding or realizing it.

I also think there's something to be said for the "healing" your digestive system needs to go through when you first ditch the S.A.D... I feel like everything is just working more "textbook-like" now the 2nd time around.

Last edited by spirilis; 01-16-2013 at 08:38 AM..
spirilis is offline   Reply With Quote