Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Omphaloskeptical
Stats: 5'7", 236/201/136, 18-20%bf
WOE: High fat, <100 carbs/day, Atkins-paleo-ish
Ladies who are/were in the 200-260s (BMI around 36)

Hi all,

This is my second go at low carb. It's very embarrassing to remember that I told myself and others "never again" just to now be nearly 50 lbs above my original highest weight.

Last time I was 190 lbs at my high weight and it took me about 5 months to get to 160. That was with a lot of cheating and inconsistency - not bad.

Now I am back at it. My high weight is 236 (I am 226 now). I started back on 1/1/13. I would like to avoid the "cheats" as much as possible this time, but know I'm not going to be perfect. I will do my best though.

I tend to lose weight easily and fast WHEN I stay on plan. Do you think it is unreasonable to expect to my goal of being a health BMI - 159 lbs or less by the end of the year?

Thanks,

O
Omphaloskeptical is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ljmama0408
Stats: 220/193/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2012
No, I think that's very reasonable. Infact, I have the same goal and my story and stats are very similar to yours. This is my third time doing low carb. I know now that eating the high carb foods is not the way to go because I not only gained a bunch of weight, but it affected my health in elevating my bp and sugar.

I'm trying to stay between 20 - 30 carbs/day. I don't miss pasta, potatoes, chips, ect. My problem was sweets. I plan all my meals to be LC and keep Atkins bars on hand for when I really have a craving. A lot of people think the Atkins bars are "frankenfoods", but they've helped me from making some really bad choices.

Congratulations on your recent success and keep up the good work, Omphaloskeptical!
ljmama0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Many of us find ourselves coming back to what really works for us.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
I think your goal is on the high side, but could be do-able. A lot depends on your age and physical condition.

You can reasonably expect to lose 1 pound a week if you are faithful to your diet plan. That is 50 of the 70 you want to lose. Many lose faster than that.... many are slower than that. Remember weight loss slows as you get closer to goal. Also your body will probably hit several plateaus as it adjusts to its lower mass.

40-50 pound loss in a year is a big deal so get started and enjoy the journey. Fast loss or slow you will feel better as you move toward better health.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, ljmama! I, too, developed some health problems from the weight gain. Meanwhile, I've also been struggling with some mental health issues. Gladly, it's very clear to me now that I'm back on plan, that keeping the carbs very low helps with my mood and stress level.

I think frankenfoods have their place, and none of us are "one size fits all"...what works or is best for some, is not for others.

Thanks for the support We are all in this together!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks halos. I am turning 28 this month. I am fairly healthy...out of shape, but motivated to get back into strength training soon, particularly kettlebells - I find that cardio effects my hunger for the worst, even when in ketosis.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I would caution you about setting any long-term, time-based goals.

You can see my loss in my stats, but I honestly don't know whether that took me 2 years or 3--or longer. Our bodies don't always lose according to our timetable, and with specific, time-based goals, it's far too easy to become discouraged, IMO, if we fail to meet our goals 'on time.' For example, about half way through my weight loss, I experienced a long stall, losing and gaining the same 5 lbs for months and months.

Since I wasn't discouraged by having failed to meet a specific, short-term goal, I was able to focus on the situation simply as a problem to be solved. I finally realized that my 'smaller' body simply needed far less food, and it was time to cut back. That worked, and I understood more about the overall process of weight management.

My advice is just to focus on staying on plan each day (an achievement in itself) and deal with any 'issues' as they arise.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I think your goal is possible. I am older than your (will be 40 this month). I started LC Feburary 2012 around 235 and now am bouncing between 158-161. I stay on plan 99% of the time I now eat under 50 total carbs/under 25 net carbs. I do exercise 6-7 days a week (which I love). So IMHO your plan is doable but no matter what the number says FEELING better/Health is also a great goal. Along with all the weight I have lost, I am not longer PRE diabetic either-which is also WONDERFUL. So good lunch with your goal, looks like you are off to a great start!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
Start Date: 3/5/2012
I started at 252. This is my first time doing low-carb, and my last time as well because I'm not planning on stopping.

I won't make goal by 1 year, but I expect that I'll have lost at least 80 pounds (I've lost 71 so far) and I'll happily take that. The weight came off fast early on, but slower now.

I feel GREAT at my current weight, clothes shopping is fun rather than painful. I'll feel even better at goal, but even if it takes me a full year to lose the last 40 pounds and make goal, I'm OK with that.

Doing low carb was the best decision I've made in years, and I have absolutely no regrets!
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Totally doable but you need a plan and some exercise such as a little walking. Just to say I am doing low carb isn't enough. Do you want to follow a particular low carb food plan? So you have a framework for when and how much you will each day. I found it helpful to write it down either on paper or in my Ipod. A carb tracker is helpful.

The common theme for people who have lost and kept it off is that they don't add little cheats in; when they do have an episode of overeating or eating off plan, they make no excuses and get right back to it. This LCF BB is a great support tool and you will meet lots of people who have been there and done that, so perhaps you can learn from our mistakes.

It is a new beginning for a grand new life. Welcome!

Last edited by MaryMary; 01-12-2013 at 11:18 AM..
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Hi MaryMary,

For many years, I have researched and read up, as well as done a few different low carb diets. I understand the science of how it works, etc. But I know from my past success that I do not do well with counting calories until I am nearer to goal weight, as I tend to obsess which is very unhealthy. I found that eating meat, fish, fats, and non starchy veggies...mostly in unprocessed form...to be the best plan for me. I eat until I am not longer hungry (NOT full). I don't need to count anything. I do test for ketosis, and eat to maintain that. It works best for my hunger and sticking on plan without fixating on numbers. Basically a Atkinseque Paleo/Primal WOE. It works for me to do it this way, not everyone I am sure.

I think writing down a framework would be nice. Sort of like a contract.

I think you are right in that planning cheats will not be helpful to me. That's why I'm hoping to stick with it and then if I make a mistake, I will be sure to get back on.

Last edited by Omphaloskeptical; 01-12-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I would caution you about setting any long-term, time-based goals.

You can see my loss in my stats, but I honestly don't know whether that took me 2 years or 3--or longer. Our bodies don't always lose according to our timetable, and with specific, time-based goals, it's far too easy to become discouraged, IMO, if we fail to meet our goals 'on time.' For example, about half way through my weight loss, I experienced a long stall, losing and gaining the same 5 lbs for months and months.

Since I wasn't discouraged by having failed to meet a specific, short-term goal, I was able to focus on the situation simply as a problem to be solved. I finally realized that my 'smaller' body simply needed far less food, and it was time to cut back. That worked, and I understood more about the overall process of weight management.

My advice is just to focus on staying on plan each day (an achievement in itself) and deal with any 'issues' as they arise.
Like Leo, I lose weight slowly, even when staying on plan and limiting carbs and calories. I suggest that you set smaller milestones to feel good about, such as going down a clothing size, dropping to the next decade number down on the scale, and achieving a non-obese BMI, and appreciate each of these smaller steps. You can feel good about each of those things, whenever they happen, and feel good about staying on plan.

Maybe you will get to your weight goal in a year, but if you don't but stay on plan, you will at least make substantial progress toward that goal.

In terms of evaluating what is realistic, your own experience in losing weight in the recent past may be your best guide. I sometimes read posts in which people complain about losing only two pounds a week; for me to lose 2 pounds in a week would be exceptional success. And the more you stay on plan, the more likely it is that you will reach or get close to your goal in a year.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I suggest that you set smaller milestones to feel good about, such as going down a clothing size, dropping to the next decade number down on the scale, and achieving a non-obese BMI, and appreciate each of these smaller steps. You can feel good about each of those things, whenever they happen, and feel good about staying on plan.
This is what I did. In addition to the next "decade" on the scale. I have mini goals of 5 pound increments. I even figured out how much certain percentages of weight lost will be. Sometimes there is only a half pound between each goal, but I am never more than 5 pounds away from making my next goal. Making these mini goals helps keep me motivated by my progress and motivated to make the next goal.

Oh, and I don't think your goal is unreasonable. I've been at this less than 6 months and am down just over 40 pounds. You can do it.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Ompha, What you are suggesting is what I did for the first two years, and as the weight dropped at some point I had to look at quantity. But sounds like you are ready and rarin to go.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #15

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the older you get, the longer you have been overweight, the more obese you are, the harder it gets to do this magic fast dieting. if you manage this time, don't assume it will work again...

it would be better to lose 25 lb and stay at that weight forever than to lose a lot and regain. really, don't lose weight you can't commit to keeping off, because it ends up stressing the metabolism so much, you get like me and can't lose it at all!

good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I honestly don't know if you can lose it ALL by the end of the year or if it will take longer...that is up to YOUR body! Some people can drop it like it is hot, and it takes longer for others. But isn't any loss worth it, no matter how long it takes?

I lost about 60 pounds in my first year, and then it slowed WAY down. Then I stalled for a year. My body just put the brakes on for a while. And that is pretty common! You have to just keep on with what you are doing, no matter what. As others have said any loss is better than no loss! I wouldn't be discouraged from having such a goal, but don't get down on yourself if you don't get there either!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
At a year and a half, I've lost about 50 pounds. But I don't keep strict carb counts and after the first few months, I had a cheat day about once a month until last October. Instead of steady weight loss, I've lost most of mine in whooshes. After the first 25 pounds, I've had to calorie cycle (JUDDD-ish) to see much loss, but it works better for me than trying to lower calories every day. Getting into a consistant ketosis has helped with hunger and cravings. I haven't done any exercizing at all. Eating is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness and I can only do one at a time right now.

I'd say, be kind to yourself and try not to set up for failure with strict time limit goals. Give your body and mind time to adjust. Better to go slow and keep it off in the long run.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbPanda86
Stats: 291/221.4/145
Start Date: October 12, 2010 restart January 13, 2013
I think it's doable (barring any pre-existing health limitations like diabetes or metabolic issues) it's like what 77 pounds? Roughly 7 pounds a month or 1.75 pounds a week. You can safely lose 1 - 2 pounds per week so I think you should be good. As an aside, I lost 42 pounds in 12 weeks when I first started, I exercised 7 days a week tho (which I am going to do again this go round). Bottom line is to do what you are doing and as long as you are losing go with it, because it sure as heck is better than staying the same or worse gaining!

STAY STRONG OR STAY FAT!

To be a healthier, happier, HOTTER Panda!!!!!AND STAY THAT WAY!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/waWTpVq/weight.png
LowCarbPanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote