Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   eating too much meat? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794274-eating-too-much-meat.html)

MichelleM 01-12-2013 05:05 AM

eating too much meat?

Hi everyone. I am back to strict Atkins induction. I am also pre menopausal and weaning off a few medications. *Just weaned off Celexa to Wellbutrin.

Anyway, yesterday all I wanted was protein. I had 2 1/2 burgers for lunch. Just meat of course, no bun.

Anyone ever overeat protein on induction, and if so how do you feel about doin it?

Thanks!

:)

Taxbane 01-12-2013 05:28 AM

I haven't read the atkins plan requirements, but I didn't think there was limit on protein. Usually, if people are working out, to transition fat to muscle mass, people have a hard time eating enough protein. I think the only time protein is an issue is when people have damaged kidney(ies), gout, or some other medical condition in which excess protein is a factor.

clackley 01-12-2013 05:49 AM

Induction means restricting carbs. Fat and protein are to be eaten to satiation. That is the plan and if 2.5 burgers is what it took to make you feel sated, then you are following the plan.

girondet 01-12-2013 06:10 AM

I don't worry about how much protein I eat as long as my carbs are very low because it just never causes a binge effect for me. I eat it until I don't want anymore. However, if I start adding in more carbs, then I have to start counting calories and dealing with cravings.

MichelleM 01-12-2013 06:26 AM

thanx guys. My bf made a roast today for football day. He threw in a pouch of onion dip /soup mix. Do you think that will fly for induction??

clackley 01-12-2013 06:28 AM

strickly speaking yes but I personally would just try to avoid the actual 'mix' and enjoy the unexposed meat.

Trigger828 01-12-2013 07:23 AM

those mixes are carb loaded to the max most times. like 1/4 of package is 20 something carbs on one of the package mixes I read. thought WOW. time to avoid that!!!!

yea I overate protein. Had too. starting any new menu change left me worried a bit, craving a bit and all that. I jumped on protein to get me thru. worked for me.

better to eat LC any foods to keep yourself on plan over any crappola.

Kateee 01-12-2013 07:58 AM

Double post...polargeist on my computer this morning :)

Kateee 01-12-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleM (Post 16190163)
thanx guys. My bf made a roast today for football day. He threw in a pouch of onion dip /soup mix. Do you think that will fly for induction??

I make my roast in the crock pot, and add only a small jar of pepperoncini's with the juice. I like it much better than the soup mix. Less carbs.

drjlocarb 01-12-2013 08:16 AM

I looked at my soup mix and it has 20 carbs per package. In the wloe batch of meat, you shouldn't get much.

rubidoux 01-12-2013 11:18 AM

I think it's fine to eat as much protein as you want during induction. When I do induction, though, I know I get into ketosis easier and faster if I make sure to get a lot of fat, so make sure those are fatty hamburgers!

Arctic_Mama 01-12-2013 01:39 PM

Don't worry about overeating on protein unless you're in a true stall - it is rare to have issues with that, especially when beginning the plan, as protein is often highly satiating/self limiting. The tweaks for lower protein tend to come with folks closer to goal and those who have been on plan for a few years - to get down sufficiently low in a metabolically resistant person, sometimes protein is too insulinogenic and prevents sufficient lypolysis. RARELY is this the case right out of the gate, especially if your protein is not overly lean :)

creseis 01-13-2013 06:27 AM

I encourage you to also read at least the first half of Phinney and Volek's Art and Science of Low Carb Living. 2 burgers is not too much protein. 6 lean burgers, 6 eggs, an entire turkey breast might be too much.

Your kidneys will be a little stressed the first 3 days, but after that your body will further break down the ketones and they will not go through your kidneys as much, and even less during the next few weeks of ketoadaptation. Eat more fat if you are worried--add coconut oil or dairy if you can, and nuts to keep satiated. If you feel hungry, eat something fatty. Blue Diamond makes these awesome almond crackers that I like to melt cheese over in the microwave--a great low carb, filling, fatty snack. I have 4 crackers and 2-3 oz of cheddar cheese.

Furthermore, there is evidence that low carb/high fat discourages the dissolution of bone calcium phosphate, which might be important for someone in menopause.