Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
Wierd tailbone issue....possibly way TMI.

I lost a bunch of weight last summer (20lbs in 7 weeks), looked good, felt good. But...it was uncomfortable when I sat down, not sharp pain or anything but it took a bit of adjusting to get comfortable. It was my tailbone jutting out a bit from the weight loss. I really don't want it to happen again! Anyone know of any way to prevent that happening again, exercises or something? I wasn't even down to my goal last time (I had 20 more to lose)...I can't imaging what it might have felt like if I did get to goal.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sorry don't have any wisdom, but I fell on my tailbone when I was a kid, and mine is painful if I sit on hard chairs too. Think I broke the tip possibly and it sticks out some.
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
They actually have special cushions that leave a "hole" out for your tailbone. My sister has one and it works pretty good and is comfortable. I think she might have got it at an office supply. It isn't a donut pillow, it is more like a U. I have never been lacking in the padding on the booty department so I can't help you there. But hope that helps.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I've had the tailbone problem too. I hit the mid-170's and suddenly sitting hurt, but it has mostly worn off after several weeks so maybe it is just an adjustment issue.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Posture.
By sitting up straight, back erect and feet planted firmly on the ground you take the pressure off of your back and put it on your thighs and butt.
If that doesn't help, then there may indeed be a medical issue.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I broke my tailbone as a kid. I found a hard firm surface hurts LESS. When there's a soft surface or a hole (like a doughnut pillow or a toilet seat) the tailbone sinks down and actually gets MORE pressure. Posture helps, too.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I, like several others have mentioned, fell and broke my tailbone as a kid, and have had pain in that area my whole life. This cushion helps a TON, and I rarely sit without it, and certainly NEVER on a hard surface. Now this particular cushion is fairly expensive, but it's entirely worth it IF this sort of cushion helps you (some people do not get any help from this type of cushion at all). So what I'd recommend is that you go to Wal-mart and buy their cheap version (available in the automotive section, with car seat covers and cushions and such) and try that out first. That will give you an idea of whether this type of cushion will help you or not. But it's cheap and won't last, so if you like it, you might want to invest in the better version.

The other thing is, I recently found out that a great deal of my pain is coming from the piriformis muscle and not the tailbone itself. I went to physical therapy (because my pain was horrible for months on end) and the therapist gave me both some exercises (like one called "clam shell") and some stretches specific to that muscle, and that has helped SO MUCH. I don't know if that's true for you at all, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case. You can google to find some exercises and stretches and see how they work for you.

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: landmom2
After losing 30 lbs. I had the same issue. Finally went to chiropractor and my pelvis was out of line. The chiropractor says when we have more weight on our bodies, that sometimes conditions can be hidden. As we loose the weight, we begin to see areas our bodies have "things" hidden. Afer the first visit to chiropractor the pain in my tailbone began to feel better. It's amazing how our bodies are created to compensate for our areas of weaknees, but as we loose the weight we become more aware of those issues.
landmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
My DD broke hers as a child and after she had her first child, actually had the end of it removed just for comfort. Worked just fine. And the recovery time was not bad either...directly after surgery she was more comfy than before when sitting down.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
Thank you everyone! I've just restarted my weight loss so no pain as of yet, thank goodness.
Becky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
It's not uncommon. The fat padding is gone, the bone is being subjected to pressures it isn't used to. I lost 180lbs and mine was sore for 4 months afterward. But it went away and hasn't come back. I used a coccyx cushion.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
It happened to me..I went to the chiro and got adjusted so that might be an option if it happens to you again..It did take a while..

I go monthly to a chiro for a general tune-up in other areas.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote