Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What is the best artificial sweetener? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794242-what-best-artificial-sweetener.html)

biggestloser 01-11-2013 02:50 PM

What is the best artificial sweetener?

I just made a cheesecake with a cup of Splenda. It tastes pretty good, but there's a super weird aftertaste. Any suggestions for a sweetener that doesn't taste like chemicals?

Omphaloskeptical 01-11-2013 03:05 PM

Based on what I've read and done in my own baked good, a combination of sweeteners always yields the least aftertaste.

Combinations of at least 2 of the following taste the best and do not have that weird aftertaste, in my experience:
Splenda (Sucralose - which is artificial)
xylitol
erythritol
stevia
(xylitol, erythritol and stevia are not artificial)

I personally really like the combination of erythritol and stevia (i.e. Truvia packets. You can buy each in bulk, make your own mix and save a lot of money.

clackley 01-11-2013 03:29 PM

I think it really depends on what you are making. For cheesecake, I follow Jamie (of 'the lighter side of low carb' fame) of 2 to 1 of cup erythritol to xylitol. Liquid sucralose is my favorite for most other things.

Becky 01-11-2013 03:37 PM

I like Stevia but have heard it is an acquired taste. Splenda was fine with me when I was using it with my last Atkins kick.

theLossgirl 01-11-2013 03:47 PM

I usually use liquid stevia.

solarpluvia 01-11-2013 04:00 PM

I've found that the aftertaste from splenda is not from the sucralose, but from the maltodexitrin they use to bulk it up. The liquid sucralose doesn't have that aftertaste. And maltodexitrin is carby.

marieze 01-11-2013 07:47 PM

Hands down....

Swerve!

Dredaye9 01-11-2013 10:12 PM

Ezsweetz

Janknitz 01-11-2013 10:26 PM

I like erithrytol and xylitol, but I don't agree that they're "natural". They are highly processed, but IMHO much better than manufactured sweeteners. And to me, there's no unpleasant aftertaste like stevia, Splenda, etc.

lterry913 01-12-2013 07:03 AM

I think a lot of the after taste is due to the fillers used in powdered splenda and any powdered sweetener. Try liquid sucralose(ez sweetz) and the problem is gone. I also believe in the combo method mentioned above...use multiple sweeteners and you get less of an aftertaste.

I think truvia in store bought form has less fillers...just erythritol and stevia...it works well in a pinch but can recrystallize after baking, sometimes giving food a sugary crunch.

Becky 01-12-2013 02:56 PM

I've had numbness in my hands and feet lately (for almost a month) and on a whim looked up "numbness in hands stevia" and sure enough it is a side effect! I do use too much, 4 packets per coffee (I love it sweet!) times 4 per day, plus a few packets per day in my made per glass lemonade. I'm quitting it for 2 weeks to see if that is really what it is.

MaryMary 01-12-2013 04:19 PM

I have been using the liquid flavored stevia bottles. I don't see an after taste so if it is coming from the maltodextrin, that would explain it.

CindyCRNA 01-12-2013 04:23 PM

Truvia!!

alonewithyou 01-13-2013 10:10 AM

I like liquid splenda for most things. I also like a mix of stevia, splenda and erythritol for all baked things.

spoiltmomof2 01-13-2013 10:12 AM

I like liquid Splenda the best. To me Stevia has a really bad aftertaste. I think you just have to try them all out and see what you like best.

Bobbin 01-13-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16189296)
I think it really depends on what you are making. For cheesecake, I follow Jamie (of 'the lighter side of low carb' fame) of 2 to 1 of cup erythritol to xylitol. Liquid sucralose is my favorite for most other things.

I use this too - as well as her cheesecake recipe! - none of my non lc friends could taste an artificial aftertaste.

alonewithyou 01-13-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbin (Post 16192608)
I use this too - as well as her cheesecake recipe! - none of my non lc friends could taste an artificial aftertaste.

What does that mean? 1 cup x and 1 cup e? Won't that leave an icy taste?

ravenrose 01-13-2013 01:59 PM

yeah, if you can taste the Splenda as something other than just sweet, you are using too much.