LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Question for maintainers

If you tracked your daily intake during your loss, do you still track everything you eat?

If you used to, but don't anymore, how long did you do it before you stopped?

I'm getting close to goal and trying to think through how I'm going to adjust and I'm just gathering information.

Thanks in advance.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I tracked during weight loss and still do, but it's much less detailed now. During weight loss I weighed my food and used online trackers to find out the exact calories/carbs and wrote everything down with the precise amounts. In maintenance, I eat a lot of the same things and can eyeball a portion accurately now because I learned from those months of weighing so I just eyeball and then write it down. So while in weight loss I would list every vegetable in a salad with separate calorie/carb counts now I just use shorthand like My big salad- 400 calories, 18 carbs
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I tracked both in weight loss and now in maintenance (almost 2 years), but I've never used those online trackers. I'm old, so I'm used to 'counting,' and I've always planned my daily menus at least 24 hrs in advance, counting both carbs and calories, since I have to keep both low. It's second nature to me now, and simply a part of planning my day.

Ironically, I'm probably more careful now than when I was in weight-loss mode, mainly because I'm eating things that require more 'care.' For example, I never ate nuts when I was losing, and I know that a one-ounce portion is quite small and would be difficult to estimate. So I weigh those things to insure that I'm eating at the numbers I think I'm eating.

For me, maintenance has challenges of its own, and it's important to be aware that a person generally has to eat at close to the level he/she was eating to arrive at goal. My smaller body requires much less food than my 'head' would like to feed it
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
I still track, I did it everyday, every meal for about a year and a half. When I made goal I stopped tracking...and then I started gaining...so I went back to tracking and realized while my carbs were ok, I was eating more calories than I thought (and you too may need to watch calories when you weigh less...). So, I do still track and I have for the most part (aside from holidays) I stay pretty consistent I use an excel sheet...its just easiest for me. Congrats on getting this far!
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
I don't count or measure every day, but I did it for long enough and recently enough that I'm pretty good at eyeballing a Tbsp. or cup of something that I eat often. However, if the scale goes up 2 lbs. or more, I'll go back to measuring everything until it's gone. I've learned from experience that 2 lbs. turns into 10 quick and that a Tbsp. or a cup grows in size (in my mind) when it's been too long since I actually measured.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I still track my weight and food daily. All of my foods are already in my program so it only takes a few seconds a day to put it in. I even have some of my meals entered as such since I tend to eat the same combinations for meals.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I do still track and count every calorie, but I have a history of yoyo dieting. Eating at maintenance is a learning curve for me. I have to learn to estimate portions properly and make sure I don't overeat. I am notorious for that. Some day I don't think I will have to do it, but I am not there yet. I have only been maintaining since October 2012.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
If you tracked your daily intake during your loss, do you still track everything you eat?
I still track, because it helps me avoid "carb creep", i.e. gradually starting to eat more carbs than I realize and having to get back into ketosis all over again. I also track my walking and my Slow Burn workouts, so I just created a very simple chart where I can write these things down every day. I kind of like having my accomplishments there in black and white. Keeps me motivated.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Thanks everyone.

The good news is that I don't mind tracking. I spend enough time at the computer that it's convenient to do it. So I'll just stick with it.

I like the idea of setting a gain limit too. Daily weighing is new to me but I'm going to keep doing it because it's been very helpful for accountability. (I realize that doesn't work for everyone.) Between staying low carb, continuing the tracking and daily weighing I'm hopeful I'll be able to figure out how to keep it off this time.

Fingers crossed...
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
No tracking here. I know what I can eat, and as long as I stay low carb, I never have to count calories or watch quantities.
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
I don't track either but I tend eat the same foods all the time so I know what size of portion I can have without having to weigh or measure it. I love not having to think about it all the time.
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I do track and measure my portions. I have a dozen or so meals that I like. The protein and veggies might change,but I write it down daily. I weigh monthly because so long as I eat the portions the way I have been, the weight will take care of itself. At the point where I want to stop losing and start adding in an extra fruit or veggie, I will weigh weekly so as to catch the subtleties before they get out of control. I did experience the lbs creeping on from 2006 - 2011 when my portions were bigger. I am nearly back down to where I was in 2006 so will do it a little differently this go round. I also walk daily and track that with the help of a watch that measures the steps.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I've been tracking for four years - at this point it's pretty much automatic and I don't mind doing it. Keeps me honest and not overestimating my portions. If I had natural portion control I wouldn't have gotten nearly as heavy as I did
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote