Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Ketosis (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794154-ketosis.html)

godsbeloved79 01-10-2013 01:39 PM

Ketosis

How long did it take for your body to get into ketosis and what did you experience during that time?

Taxbane 01-10-2013 03:18 PM

It takes longer to get into ketosis the first few time, at least for me it did. It took about a week or week and a half.

Now though, over two years, I have probably entered into ketosis somewhere between 20 an 30 times, and I beleive I can get into it about 3 to 4 days if i totally minimize my carbs and do some intense cardio.

By the numbers, your brain initially needs about 100 carbs a day, and you have about 300 carbs stored in your liver. In order for your body to ramp up its ketosis metabolism, you have to trick your brain into thinking that carbs are dietarily unavailable, so it needs to change gears causing your body to switch fuels from carbs to fats/ketones and that your liver needs to generate the carbs for the brain.

Best case is if you ate 0 carbs and your brain used 100 carbs per day, you would start ramping up ketosis after three days.

Practically though, you still have some carbs in your GI track being digested, plus the 300 carbs in your liver, plus what ever net carbs you eat durring induction, so it is a matter of just computing your carb intake less the approximate 100 carb requirement for the burn.

If you want to speed up the process, I believe cardio/strength training each day would help, as it would help burn of any net carbs you did eat, plus it would require energy from somewhere - most likely would aid in depleting the carbs in the liver faster.

So for the fun part of your question: It is common to experience induction flu symptoms, which you can look up, but personally I experiece extreme "irritability" and become very sound sensitive. Additionally I get upper back muscle pain, which is unfomfortable but not delibatinn or anything. These symptoms usually last about 2-3 days. These symptoms are caused because inorder for the ketosis to occur, your body must produce enzymes capable of breaking down fats. Unfortuantely, in order to make those enzymes, your body temporarily depletes your tryptophan stores which causes a temporary depletion in your seratonin levels, which causes the irritability/mood swings/aches/pains. Once your body adjusts, your tryptophan/seratonin levels replenish all those symptoms go away.

Just remember to drink plenty of water, and try to keep your electrolytes balanced durring the diarhetic induction phase (sodium/potassium/calcium/magnesium), otherwise that could lead to other symptoms.

Arctic_Mama 01-10-2013 03:24 PM

Well, it can suck initially, depending on your prior eating habits and how much detox you're going through. The first two weeks can be tiring, your energy might be lower and cravings high. But eventually these feelings WILL go away :). I get into ketosis easily, in a day or two, but initially the time was longer. Now I'm fat adapted and it is a simple matter.

Punkin 01-10-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 16186753)
By the numbers, your brain initially needs about 100 carbs a day, and you have about 300 carbs stored in your liver. .

Do you mean 100 calories from carbs or 100g of carbs? Because 100g of carbs is roughly 400cal.

Taxbane 01-10-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16187100)
Do you mean 100 calories from carbs or 100g of carbs? Because 100g of carbs is roughly 400cal.

100g of carbs.

biggestloser 01-10-2013 10:40 PM

So for the fun part of your question: It is common to experience induction flu symptoms, which you can look up, but personally I experiece extreme "irritability" and become very sound sensitive. Additionally I get upper back muscle pain, which is unfomfortable but not delibatinn or anything. These symptoms usually last about 2-3 days. These symptoms are caused because inorder for the ketosis to occur, your body must produce enzymes capable of breaking down fats. Unfortuantely, in order to make those enzymes, your body temporarily depletes your tryptophan stores which causes a temporary depletion in your seratonin levels, which causes the irritability/mood swings/aches/pains. Once your body adjusts, your tryptophan/seratonin levels replenish all those symptoms go away.

Just remember to drink plenty of water, and try to keep your electrolytes balanced durring the diarhetic induction phase (sodium/potassium/calcium/magnesium), otherwise that could lead to other symptoms.[/QUOTE]

:goodpost: This is very interesting. Who writes about this? I've only read one of Atkins books and I don't remember him getting into all this. But I've been there with that induction flu and it sucks!

Maumie 01-11-2013 07:12 AM

I used to have to use strips to know I was in ketosis, but now I can taste that I'm in it and smell it in my urine. My mouth tastes almost coppery (and I know my breath is yucky...sugar free gum/mints are a MUST!). A lot of people find that they aren't hungry while they are in ketosis. I find that I can go long periods without wanting to eat but then when the feeling of hunger hits, it's an immediate and urgent need! I have more energy and don't sleep as late (which for me, is a good thing).

godsbeloved79 01-11-2013 08:48 AM

Thanks for all the valuable input everyone! :up: