Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
How to be patient?

I really believe the best way to lose weight is slowly, because then there is probably less of a chance of gaining right back because 1. You have learned a new WOE over a long period of time, it has become a habit and 2. You have actually lost FAT.
That being said, it is hard to be patient. for me, probably one of the hardest things about trying to lose weight. Hard because I want to go shopping for cute clothes NOW and hard because I'm unsure if I am even going to be ABLE to lose significant weight, because it is taking so long.
Granted, I have only been LCing for under a month, but even that seems like forever! This, I believe, is one of the reasons I have failed in the past.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
4myfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 634
Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
Live in the moment. Eat in the moment. Enjoy your journey. Remind yourself that is a life long change, not a quick fix. It took me over a year to go from a tight 18 to a 12 and I'm still working at losing more weight.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
luvmybabyhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dixie
Posts: 555
Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I know what you mean! I feel so much better than I did just a couple of weeks ago but I've only lost a few pounds.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,463
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I am very impatient, too. I have an especially hard time if the scale doesn't move for several days running. I try to remind myself that there is no way that I am going to get from here to there without some of those days in between and getting through them is progress. But ugh! I am so impatient!

One thing that makes it better, though, is that it's not an all or nothing thing. Last time around I lost 40 pounds (I'm about 20 up from that now) and I felt absolutely great at about 170, where I got down to. That's nowhere near my goal (I'm 5'0"), but after you've been at 215, 170 is like heaven and I looked leaps and bounds better and clothes were already feeling more fun. It's not like you have to wait till your ultimate goal to celebrate.
__________________
jayne, type I diabetic and mama to two sweet boys (9/03 and 2/09)

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
TigerlilyCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA girl in DC
Posts: 2,852
Gallery: TigerlilyCA
WOE: Primal-esque
Focus on the health aspect and view the weight loss as just an added benefit. If you are doing this SOLELY to lose weight and are only thinking in terms of losses on the scale as a measurement of your success, you'll just set yourself up for disappointment and it may be more difficult to make this a lifestyle instead of just a means to an end. There are many positive changes happening that you won't be able to see and you won't be able to measure, but may help you in terms of longevity and disease prevention and just making your body more efficient.
__________________
Ashley
TigerlilyCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
true, very true. It shouldn't be just a vanity thing.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 322
Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
There's much virtue to be found in patience but for me, losing fast and seeing results fast was THE single factor helped me succeed this time over all my other efforts.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,701
Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I was impatient too. I hated being fat and just wanted to be back to the old me as fast as possible. I don't think the rate of loss determines if you stay on plan or regain, unless maybe if one does a very drastic crash diet with only 500 calories worth of only meal shakes and they don't learn how to keep eating in maintenance. I've been maintaining for years at 110 pounds. I just made sure to cook almost all of my own meals so I learned how to do this for the long term, ate plenty of vegetables, and stayed away from processed foods and fake lc products that try to mimic high carb junk.

I don't think patience is for everyone. And, as long as you are realistic, and don't expect to lose 10 pounds a week, then I don't see a problem with trying to lose as quickly as possible by staying 100 percent on plan, measuring foods, and counting all the carbs one consumes.
__________________
Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trigger828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,323
Gallery: Trigger828
Stats: 230 / 199 / 165
WOE: lower/mod. carb my way!
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
LOL I hear ya. I am right there with you wanting to shop for my smaller bathing suit I will be getting this summer! I want to shop NOW but have to wait

I noticed when I did low fat/low cal. I lost weight faster but sure I was hungry all the time and starved and of course couldn't keep off the 70 lbs. So I gained back 50 of it.

now with LC I am losing a bit slower but by heavens I am eating like a queen! not hungry. great food. easy plan. no misery thinking about food!

So the slower weight loss is fine by me. Cause in the end when I hit goal I know I can maintain that loss forever. I can eat this way all the time. This plan fits me.

So while I want to shop and be thinner tomorrow, I can wait. cause in 5 months when I hit goal and shop---oh yea every moment would have been worth it to me.

Slow losing might get annoying, but starving and gaining back real fast was miserable and I will take slow losing, great eating and not hungry every time!
__________________
I now follow MY OWN LOWER/MODERATE CARB plan.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 322
Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I was impatient too. I hated being fat and just wanted to be back to the old me as fast as possible. I don't think the rate of loss determines if you stay on plan or regain, unless maybe if one does a very drastic crash diet with only 500 calories worth of only meal shakes and they don't learn how to keep eating in maintenance. I've been maintaining for years at 110 pounds. I just made sure to cook almost all of my own meals so I learned how to do this for the long term, ate plenty of vegetables, and stayed away from processed foods and fake lc products that try to mimic high carb junk.

I don't think patience is for everyone. And, as long as you are realistic, and don't expect to lose 10 pounds a week, then I don't see a problem with trying to lose as quickly as possible by staying 100 percent on plan, measuring foods, and counting all the carbs one consumes.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,619
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I don't see any real reason to "do it slowly." For those of us with difficult metabolisms, take what you can get! It's true you may get to the point you no longer lose sooner than you wish. I think you can lose more easily in the first six months or so, and should take the best advantage you can of that time.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
toofatfornow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: nny
Posts: 798
Gallery: toofatfornow
Stats: 256/235/160
WOE: low carb, count everything that goes in my mouth
Start Date: too many times this time 01/18/11
i feel ur pain i started back jan 1 and only down 2.5 pounds but i said to myself slow and steady will win in the end
toofatfornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
I really believe the best way to lose weight is slowly, because then there is probably less of a chance of gaining right back because 1. You have learned a new WOE over a long period of time, it has become a habit and 2. You have actually lost FAT.
That being said, it is hard to be patient. for me, probably one of the hardest things about trying to lose weight. Hard because I want to go shopping for cute clothes NOW and hard because I'm unsure if I am even going to be ABLE to lose significant weight, because it is taking so long.
Granted, I have only been LCing for under a month, but even that seems like forever! This, I believe, is one of the reasons I have failed in the past.
I, too, like you want to shop for the cute clothes now...so I do! I go shopping (sometimes for hours) for just one item that is just too cute to pass up. My only rule is it can only be 1 size smaller than what I am right now. I cannot tell you the pleasure I have had with these little shopping sprees.

After I purchase this new CUTE item, I will try it on as often as I want until it fits! When it fits, guess what? Time to go buy another CUTE item.

This may not be for everyone, but it certainly has been fun for me!
__________________
Lori My Blog

Goals met:
199.9 - ONEderland(10/23/12);
180s - (12/08/12)
170s - (1/7/13) (made it back 01/14) (no longer obese)
160s - (3/2/13) 50.2 pounds in 5 1/2 months!
148 - No longer Overweight
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." ~ Sarah Condor, Runner/Author
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
hot-in-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,723
Gallery: hot-in-texas
great idea!!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
Biochic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 1,206
Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/133/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
I, too, like you want to shop for the cute clothes now...so I do! I go shopping (sometimes for hours) for just one item that is just too cute to pass up. My only rule is it can only be 1 size smaller than what I am right now. I cannot tell you the pleasure I have had with these little shopping sprees.

After I purchase this new CUTE item, I will try it on as often as I want until it fits! When it fits, guess what? Time to go buy another CUTE item.

This may not be for everyone, but it certainly has been fun for me!
Good idea. Nice motivator !!
Biochic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
Taxbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 831
Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Being patient is hard, but I find it helps to pass the anxiousness/waiting by channeling that nervous energy instead into researching new LC recipes/articles, weight lifting, and martial arts. I also like to reaffirm my progress by checking periodically for:
(a) body fat % loss; even 0.01% movement every few days is exciting
(b) Measurements by tape (less frequently b/c I'm too lazy to get the tape)
(c) ketosis by ketostix (these aren't the best indicators b/c proper hydration levels and excess ketones are required in addition to the fact that our bodies produce 3 kinds of ketones and the strips only test for 1 strain of such. Nonethless, I find it deeply rewarding to see positive confirmation on the ketostix, cause then I know I am controlling my metabolism.
__________________
Ketogenic: 30-40 Net Carbs Per Day.
Low Glycemic Loads: 12-15 max p/2 hrs.
Intermittent Fasting: To Boost SIRT1; HGH.
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 15,576
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I don't see any real reason to "do it slowly." For those of us with difficult metabolisms, take what you can get! It's true you may get to the point you no longer lose sooner than you wish. I think you can lose more easily in the first six months or so, and should take the best advantage you can of that time.
^^^This!! Work it while the going is good!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,926
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
One thing that makes it better, though, is that it's not an all or nothing thing. Last time around I lost 40 pounds (I'm about 20 up from that now) and I felt absolutely great at about 170, where I got down to. That's nowhere near my goal (I'm 5'0"), but after you've been at 215, 170 is like heaven and I looked leaps and bounds better and clothes were already feeling more fun. It's not like you have to wait till your ultimate goal to celebrate.
I've lost only half the weight that I want to lose, but it's over 50 pounds over the course of a year (just a 5 days from my 1-year lowcarb anniversary ). Though I had stalls and months where I lost no more than a pound, my weight did go down over time--and I'm way better off than where I was 1 year ago. If I went from a size 6 to a size 14, I'd feel huge--but since I moved from a plus size 24 to a regular size 14, I feel pretty darn good about how I feel and look. I plan to keep eating lowcarb and healthy for the rest of my life (and hopefully slowly get smaller along the way, since I've never been a fast loser and can't change that, no matter what I do).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member
 
gladee88er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Goldfield, NV
Posts: 292
Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerlilyCA View Post
Focus on the health aspect and view the weight loss as just an added benefit. If you are doing this SOLELY to lose weight and are only thinking in terms of losses on the scale as a measurement of your success, you'll just set yourself up for disappointment and it may be more difficult to make this a lifestyle instead of just a means to an end. There are many positive changes happening that you won't be able to see and you won't be able to measure, but may help you in terms of longevity and disease prevention and just making your body more efficient.
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.