Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   How to be patient? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794120-how-patient.html)

hot-in-texas 01-10-2013 07:58 AM

How to be patient?

I really believe the best way to lose weight is slowly, because then there is probably less of a chance of gaining right back because 1. You have learned a new WOE over a long period of time, it has become a habit and 2. You have actually lost FAT.
That being said, it is hard to be patient. for me, probably one of the hardest things about trying to lose weight. Hard because I want to go shopping for cute clothes NOW and hard because I'm unsure if I am even going to be ABLE to lose significant weight, because it is taking so long.
Granted, I have only been LCing for under a month, but even that seems like forever! This, I believe, is one of the reasons I have failed in the past.

4myfuture 01-10-2013 08:05 AM

Live in the moment. Eat in the moment. Enjoy your journey. Remind yourself that is a life long change, not a quick fix. It took me over a year to go from a tight 18 to a 12 and I'm still working at losing more weight.

luvmybabyhead 01-10-2013 09:11 AM

I know what you mean! I feel so much better than I did just a couple of weeks ago but I've only lost a few pounds.

rubidoux 01-10-2013 09:32 AM

I am very impatient, too. I have an especially hard time if the scale doesn't move for several days running. I try to remind myself that there is no way that I am going to get from here to there without some of those days in between and getting through them is progress. But ugh! I am so impatient!

One thing that makes it better, though, is that it's not an all or nothing thing. Last time around I lost 40 pounds (I'm about 20 up from that now) and I felt absolutely great at about 170, where I got down to. That's nowhere near my goal (I'm 5'0"), but after you've been at 215, 170 is like heaven and I looked leaps and bounds better and clothes were already feeling more fun. It's not like you have to wait till your ultimate goal to celebrate.

TigerlilyCA 01-10-2013 09:33 AM

Focus on the health aspect and view the weight loss as just an added benefit. If you are doing this SOLELY to lose weight and are only thinking in terms of losses on the scale as a measurement of your success, you'll just set yourself up for disappointment and it may be more difficult to make this a lifestyle instead of just a means to an end. There are many positive changes happening that you won't be able to see and you won't be able to measure, but may help you in terms of longevity and disease prevention and just making your body more efficient.

hot-in-texas 01-10-2013 09:45 AM

true, very true. It shouldn't be just a vanity thing.

abby! 01-10-2013 10:02 AM

There's much virtue to be found in patience but for me, losing fast and seeing results fast was THE single factor helped me succeed this time over all my other efforts.

nolcjunk 01-10-2013 10:12 AM

I was impatient too. I hated being fat and just wanted to be back to the old me as fast as possible. I don't think the rate of loss determines if you stay on plan or regain, unless maybe if one does a very drastic crash diet with only 500 calories worth of only meal shakes and they don't learn how to keep eating in maintenance. I've been maintaining for years at 110 pounds. I just made sure to cook almost all of my own meals so I learned how to do this for the long term, ate plenty of vegetables, and stayed away from processed foods and fake lc products that try to mimic high carb junk.

I don't think patience is for everyone. And, as long as you are realistic, and don't expect to lose 10 pounds a week, then I don't see a problem with trying to lose as quickly as possible by staying 100 percent on plan, measuring foods, and counting all the carbs one consumes.

Trigger828 01-10-2013 10:15 AM

LOL I hear ya. I am right there with you wanting to shop for my smaller bathing suit I will be getting this summer! :) I want to shop NOW but have to wait

I noticed when I did low fat/low cal. I lost weight faster but sure I was hungry all the time and starved and of course couldn't keep off the 70 lbs. So I gained back 50 of it.

now with LC I am losing a bit slower but by heavens I am eating like a queen! not hungry. great food. easy plan. no misery thinking about food!

So the slower weight loss is fine by me. Cause in the end when I hit goal I know I can maintain that loss forever. I can eat this way all the time. This plan fits me.

So while I want to shop and be thinner tomorrow, I can wait. cause in 5 months when I hit goal and shop---oh yea every moment would have been worth it to me.

Slow losing might get annoying, but starving and gaining back real fast was miserable and I will take slow losing, great eating and not hungry every time!

abby! 01-10-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16186049)
I was impatient too. I hated being fat and just wanted to be back to the old me as fast as possible. I don't think the rate of loss determines if you stay on plan or regain, unless maybe if one does a very drastic crash diet with only 500 calories worth of only meal shakes and they don't learn how to keep eating in maintenance. I've been maintaining for years at 110 pounds. I just made sure to cook almost all of my own meals so I learned how to do this for the long term, ate plenty of vegetables, and stayed away from processed foods and fake lc products that try to mimic high carb junk.

I don't think patience is for everyone. And, as long as you are realistic, and don't expect to lose 10 pounds a week, then I don't see a problem with trying to lose as quickly as possible by staying 100 percent on plan, measuring foods, and counting all the carbs one consumes.

:goodpost:

ravenrose 01-10-2013 10:54 AM

I don't see any real reason to "do it slowly." For those of us with difficult metabolisms, take what you can get! It's true you may get to the point you no longer lose sooner than you wish. I think you can lose more easily in the first six months or so, and should take the best advantage you can of that time.

toofatfornow 01-10-2013 11:47 AM

i feel ur pain i started back jan 1 and only down 2.5 pounds but i said to myself slow and steady will win in the end

LoriAS 01-10-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot-in-texas (Post 16185595)
I really believe the best way to lose weight is slowly, because then there is probably less of a chance of gaining right back because 1. You have learned a new WOE over a long period of time, it has become a habit and 2. You have actually lost FAT.
That being said, it is hard to be patient. for me, probably one of the hardest things about trying to lose weight. Hard because I want to go shopping for cute clothes NOW and hard because I'm unsure if I am even going to be ABLE to lose significant weight, because it is taking so long.
Granted, I have only been LCing for under a month, but even that seems like forever! This, I believe, is one of the reasons I have failed in the past.

I, too, like you want to shop for the cute clothes now...so I do! I go shopping (sometimes for hours) for just one item that is just too cute to pass up. My only rule is it can only be 1 size smaller than what I am right now. I cannot tell you the pleasure I have had with these little shopping sprees.

After I purchase this new CUTE item, I will try it on as often as I want until it fits! When it fits, guess what? Time to go buy another CUTE item.

This may not be for everyone, but it certainly has been fun for me!

hot-in-texas 01-10-2013 12:34 PM

great idea!!

Biochic 01-10-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriAS (Post 16186366)
I, too, like you want to shop for the cute clothes now...so I do! I go shopping (sometimes for hours) for just one item that is just too cute to pass up. My only rule is it can only be 1 size smaller than what I am right now. I cannot tell you the pleasure I have had with these little shopping sprees.

After I purchase this new CUTE item, I will try it on as often as I want until it fits! When it fits, guess what? Time to go buy another CUTE item.

This may not be for everyone, but it certainly has been fun for me!

Good idea. Nice motivator !!

Taxbane 01-10-2013 01:00 PM

Being patient is hard, but I find it helps to pass the anxiousness/waiting by channeling that nervous energy instead into researching new LC recipes/articles, weight lifting, and martial arts. I also like to reaffirm my progress by checking periodically for:
(a) body fat % loss; even 0.01% movement every few days is exciting
(b) Measurements by tape (less frequently b/c I'm too lazy to get the tape)
(c) ketosis by ketostix (these aren't the best indicators b/c proper hydration levels and excess ketones are required in addition to the fact that our bodies produce 3 kinds of ketones and the strips only test for 1 strain of such. Nonethless, I find it deeply rewarding to see positive confirmation on the ketostix, cause then I know I am controlling my metabolism.

clackley 01-10-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16186156)
I don't see any real reason to "do it slowly." For those of us with difficult metabolisms, take what you can get! It's true you may get to the point you no longer lose sooner than you wish. I think you can lose more easily in the first six months or so, and should take the best advantage you can of that time.

^^^This!! Work it while the going is good!:)

svenskamae 01-10-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16185918)
One thing that makes it better, though, is that it's not an all or nothing thing. Last time around I lost 40 pounds (I'm about 20 up from that now) and I felt absolutely great at about 170, where I got down to. That's nowhere near my goal (I'm 5'0"), but after you've been at 215, 170 is like heaven and I looked leaps and bounds better and clothes were already feeling more fun. It's not like you have to wait till your ultimate goal to celebrate.

:goodpost: I've lost only half the weight that I want to lose, but it's over 50 pounds over the course of a year (just a 5 days from my 1-year lowcarb anniversary ). Though I had stalls and months where I lost no more than a pound, my weight did go down over time--and I'm way better off than where I was 1 year ago. If I went from a size 6 to a size 14, I'd feel huge--but since I moved from a plus size 24 to a regular size 14, I feel pretty darn good about how I feel and look. I plan to keep eating lowcarb and healthy for the rest of my life (and hopefully slowly get smaller along the way, since I've never been a fast loser and can't change that, no matter what I do).

gladee88er 01-10-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerlilyCA (Post 16185926)
Focus on the health aspect and view the weight loss as just an added benefit. If you are doing this SOLELY to lose weight and are only thinking in terms of losses on the scale as a measurement of your success, you'll just set yourself up for disappointment and it may be more difficult to make this a lifestyle instead of just a means to an end. There are many positive changes happening that you won't be able to see and you won't be able to measure, but may help you in terms of longevity and disease prevention and just making your body more efficient.

:goodpost: