Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Anyone else afraid of looking older when you lose your weight?

I have been heavy for over 10 years. From the age of 32 to 43 to be exact. I have aged during these years. I am noticing wrinkles(big time) and loss of skin elasticity. What will happen when I lose weight, will these things become more pronounced? sigh
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
I'm not afraid of looking older...frankly, I'm more afraid of not getting older (as in fatal health consequences of staying obese.)

As for looking older when losing weight...well, everyone is different, but I recently posted a before & during picture of myself on the Before & After thread. The Before picture was 4 years ago...the after picture was now. From the comments, people think I look 10 years younger now...flipping back through the before & after thread, that seems to be the consensus on pic after pic. Losing the weight makes you look more youthful, IMO. Here's the link to the Before & After thread...I'm down there in Post #1271. But scroll through the rest of the thread, too to see for yourself what an improvement in "age" a lot of people have. TerriB who posted her before & after pics a few posts before me is another awesome change...I think she looks at least 10 years younger now (she's lost 75 lbs. since April 2012)

Before and after Pics

Now wrinkles...except for a few truly blessed people, we all have them in abundance as we age...just a fact of getting older . And losing the skin elasticity...well, that's why plastic surgeons make a kazillion $$$, right? Best I can say is use your moisturizers...and sun screen...and don't smoke. That & SMILE. I swear laugh lines are way more attractive than frown lines.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 01-10-2013 at 08:54 AM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i would prefer to look older in any case....

so that i could get senior citizen discounts. I am currently going on 62 years (2/13/13). weight loss, if done in a healthy manner, should, theoretically, make us look younger. What is a more healthy way to do it than low carb? Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
They say when you lose weight you may have more wrinkles show up, I'm 46 and am constantly mistaken for 30 so a few wrinkles would be fine with me.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
They say when you lose weight you may have more wrinkles show up, I'm 46 and am constantly mistaken for 30 so a few wrinkles would be fine with me.
no fair!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
At age 67 I have to say that my damaged older skin is showing more wrinkles as I lose weight. Not so much in my face but my arms, stomach, legs, etc. Before it was pretty plumped out with fat but still getting pretty wrinkles, now, yikes. But, at my age you cover up pretty much anyway so I would rather be healthier and thinner. Also, I think and hope that the slower you lose it helps and your body also adjusts to it slowly. Exercise definitely helps too.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
no fair!
But I have gray hair and zits so it all evens out.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
We are all going to get old, so I would rather be old and thin, than old and fat.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: turtlegirl115
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
I'm not afraid of looking older...frankly, I'm more afraid of not getting older (as in fatal health consequences of staying obese.)
GREAT way to look at it! I have been worried about looking older too but that's much better than not GROWING older. I'll take the wrinkles!
turtlegirl115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
You have great bone structure. I don't think you should worry about looking "deflated" your face isn't fat to begin with. I'm in my 30s and when first lost weight fast, "concerned people" like my hair dresser and some close friends, mentioned that I looked unwell in the face ( I think they thought it was ageing me). But a few months in, my face caught up and although I continued to lose, I looked well and healthy. Now everyone comments how much younger I look. So even if you lose in the face at first, it will get all evened out later.

Also, take care of your skin. Moisturize and don't forget your sunblock. Also, I hate to indorse it because they say it causes birth defects but I've found prescription retinoids amazing for *my* skin. I emphasize MY because I am in no way suggesting anyone use this harsh product without doing your research and consulting with a good dermatologist. It can be harsh on sensitive skin, It's not for everyone especially those planning to be pregnant within a year or two but it did good for my emerging fine lines.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I lost my weight in my 20s so I wasn't worried, but I think that losing weight actually makes people look younger, even if you have a few extra wrinkles showing.

I am always amazed when people post before and afters here and in the after they always look at least 10 years younger or like the daughter/son of their before picture selves.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
I do sometimes look at actresses who are always trying to be super thin. They look older if they stay too thin as they age. Nothing to compensate for your skin's natural loss of elasticity?

I was 43 when my avatar picture was taken (well, I'm still 43, lol). I weighed about 117 to 118 in that pic and was mistaken for younger pretty often.

More recently, I had lost down to 112. Not that much of a difference, right? Wrong. My own 13 year old son (who is actually quite a respectful teen), said "Mom,something's wrong. It looks like you have an old face on a young body." And other people made little comments as well, not nearly as bluntly as my son thank goodness!

I gained a little over the holidays so I'm about 120 right now, and got the nicest compliment just last night!

So yes, I think in general you look younger when your weight is in a healthy range. And on a young person, even being quite thin usually looks fine. But we ladies "of a certain age", I think do benefit from keeping just a little fat on us.

Last edited by theLossgirl; 01-10-2013 at 09:40 AM..
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
We are all going to get old, so I would rather be old and thin, than old and fat.
Yes, This!!! ^^^^^^^ I think old and thin would be much more comfortable.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Anyone else afraid of looking older when you lose your weight?
In a word, no. It is almost always the case that people who lose weight look younger. Just go to the thread of folks that have posted before and after pics and you will see that for yourself.

Low carbing is also very good in terms of being protective against aging in general because there is a great reduction in oxidation due to dietary choices.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby! View Post
You have great bone structure. I don't think you should worry about looking "deflated" your face isn't fat to begin with. I'm in my 30s and when first lost weight fast, "concerned people" like my hair dresser and some close friends, mentioned that I looked unwell in the face ( I think they thought it was ageing me). But a few months in, my face caught up and although I continued to lose, I looked well and healthy. Now everyone comments how much younger I look. So even if you lose in the face at first, it will get all evened out later.

Also, take care of your skin. Moisturize and don't forget your sunblock. Also, I hate to indorse it because they say it causes birth defects but I've found prescription retinoids amazing for *my* skin. I emphasize MY because I am in no way suggesting anyone use this harsh product without doing your research and consulting with a good dermatologist. It can be harsh on sensitive skin, It's not for everyone especially those planning to be pregnant within a year or two but it did good for my emerging fine lines.
First of all thank you for the compliment.
I have tried a retinol, and it really did help my fine lines, but I had to discontinue using it because even though I wore sunblock, just driving to work my my skin burn and age spots show up!!
Maybe that is it, my face right now, looks kind of older already, hopefully after a little while it will even out lol
Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
First of all thank you for the compliment.
I have tried a retinol, and it really did help my fine lines, but I had to discontinue using it because even though I wore sunblock, just driving to work my my skin burn and age spots show up!!
Maybe that is it, my face right now, looks kind of older already, hopefully after a little while it will even out lol
Do you have dry skin? Unfortunatly dry skin ages (or appears to) faster than oily skin. Genetics also play a big role, best you can do baby step wise is moisturize. But there are tons of other therapies out there that could help out. You are a beauty as you are though!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I think that peop look younger when they lose. Maybe because they lose that matronly look (can't find a better word).
But that's just the face....

The body; I would rather look hot in my jeans!! My body looks younger than my face and I'd like to keep it that way.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
I do sometimes look at actresses who are always trying to be super thin. They look older if they stay too thin as they age. Nothing to compensate for your skin's natural loss of elasticity?

I was 43 when my avatar picture was taken (well, I'm still 43, lol). I weigh about 117 to 118 in that pic and was mistaken for younger pretty often.

More recently, I had lost down to 112. Not that much of a difference, right? Wrong. My own 13 year old son (who is actually quite a respectful teen), said "Mom,something's wrong. It looks like you have an old face on a young body." And other people made little comments as well, not nearly as bluntly as my son thank goodness!

I think in general you look younger when your weight is in a healthy range. And on a young person, even being quite thin usually looks fine. But we ladies "of a certain age", I think do benefit from keeping just a little fat on us.
your pic is gorgeous!
My goal right now is 130-but that could change if it makes me look to gaunt in the face
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I think that peop look younger when they lose. Maybe because they lose that matronly look (can't find a better word).
But that's just the face....

The body; I would rather look hot in my jeans!! My body looks younger than my face and I'd like to keep it that way.
like^^
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Do you have dry skin? Unfortunatly dry skin ages (or appears to) faster than oily skin. Genetics also play a big role, best you can do baby step wise is moisturize. But there are tons of other therapies out there that could help out. You are a beauty as you are though!!!
yes, dry. and bad habits-as far as cleansing and moisurizing. I just always used vaseline to take off my makeup, no moisturizes but that's gonna have to change, I have aged a lot this last year arggggg
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

Low carbing is also very good in terms of being protective against aging in general because there is a great reduction in oxidation due to dietary choices.
Maybe also all the coconut oil most of us consume? I don't use it on my skin, but I do eat it every day and definitely notice the difference it makes when it comes to my skin.

Last edited by theLossgirl; 01-10-2013 at 09:57 AM..
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I am 52 and my avatar is from New Years eve. I have found that with age and significant weight loss my skin is just not snapping back like it did when I was younger. The worst part is on my neck. It may in time tighten up but I have much more weight to lose so I don't think there will be a ton of improvement. In the long run I am aiming for a healthy life. I would rather be thinner and healthy than fat and sick (or dead). In the end I will probably need surgery for other parts of my body like thighs, arms and belly so that I am mobile and able to move without hanging skin.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Throwback
Oh heck yeah, I'm worried about my wrinkles deflating but I look at it as collateral damage. It's easier to hide/combat wrinkles than being too heavy!
Throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I'm a little worried about this but I have very oily skin and no wrinkles now...and am often mistaken for much younger than I am....so I think it will all even out. I'd rather look a little older in the face than really old and fat in the body.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #25
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Maybe also all the coconut oil most of us consume? I don't use it on my skin, but I do eat it every day and definitely notice the difference it makes when it comes to my skin.
Yes, I agree that coconut oil can help too! It is very useful for minor rashes and blemishes. It has wonderful anti viral and bacterial properties.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love&Luck
Stats: (229) 181/168.5/140 5'4"
WOE: NK
Start Date: yep
I'm lucky that I have genetically good skin and my mom had me moisturizing in high school (never stopped). But a couple of years ago I dropped from my highest of 229 to my lowest of 146 (I rebounded some due to thyroid issues) and I had a turkey neck for a little while. I have to admit -- I was really pizzed. But luckily within a very few months the skin tightened up and all was good. FYI, I was about 42 (I'm 44 now).
Love&Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
this is interesting.

when I lost my 70 lbs before I got saggy jowls in the jawline. and my laugh lines were way more pronounced.

well gained back 50 lbs cause I wanted to eat but with low carb this plan fits me, I know I can eat great for life and maintain on this plan.

SO---when I hit my goal I am going to have a small plastic surgery procedure. Just the jawline. (Kinda like that Life Lift you see on tv commercials where they cut behind the ear, draw the jawline a bit tight and done)

I don't care about my eyelids, my 'a bit' saggy arms, bit wiggly thighs----but I do care about that jawline and laugh lines. I will take care of those. I have money put aside to have it done when I hit goal and am absolutely where I want to be weight wise. I will let the weight stabilize for a while and see where I stand.

And I can't wait to have it done

My dr. has a family all in medicine. her bro is a plastic surgeon and I have been chatting wtih her about having it done. I will be seeing her brother when it is time to see my options.

So if you have a worry spot, think you can handle 'having it taken care of' then go for it.
me, I don't want super supergy by any means, just the jawline and laugh lines addressed. this will make me very happy
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #28

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
people might think you look your age rather than thinking you are fat. probably a good tradeoff! *wink*

I don't mean that unkindly, but it's something to consider. Fat is a lot worse in most viewer's eyes.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Quote:
But I have gray hair and zits so it all evens out.
Don't you hate that! I thought for sure my zits would be long gone before I started with the grey hair! Sheesh!
astribling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dejaht
Stats: 233/229/180 5'11.5''
Start Date: Restart 23/8/14
A little, but being slim will be so much better than obese & wrinkle-free.
dejaht is offline   Reply With Quote