Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   The Break Room (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794116-break-room.html)

hot-in-texas 01-10-2013 08:25 AM

The Break Room

The break room at my office was a fat sentence for me. For example, today in our break room we have a huge gift basket. It has at least 20 different specialty items in it-including 4 different types of trail mix, 4-5 chocolate type things, several different types of crackers, popcorns and toffees and cookies. We also have a large box of (really delicious looking) chocolates. I just went back there to look at the nutrition info on the back of the olive oil and sea salt crackers. 2 1/2 crackers is over my whole daily alotted carb count right now!! Normally I would have eaten some crackers, trail mix, and tried at least 2 of the chocolate thingies. The next day I would have tried different things. No wonder I'm fat. not to mention stuff at my own house.

Becky 01-10-2013 09:02 AM

I'm a stay at home mom, but I admit to having my husband bring in "goodies" for the break room, a huge portion of excess Halloween and Easter candy gets rehomed to the break room. He says everyone contributes to the break room bounty. I can see where it would be a trap for low carbers, you go in for a cup of coffee and have to look at and smell all the carb laden goodies (junk).

readyfredy 01-10-2013 10:09 AM

Ours too. I feel your pain!

luvmybabyhead 01-10-2013 10:13 AM

I'm eating lunch at my desk right now to avoid our candy laden break room!

hot-in-texas 01-10-2013 10:17 AM

it is surprisingly not too hard though since my cravings are gone, and I kinda laugh to myself seeing all the other people going back to eat time after time lol-is that wrong of me? lol

flatferenghi 01-10-2013 10:17 AM

my work station is separated from the "break" room

by a wall. Food aromas make it easily through the barricade. I consider anything there that i myself did not bring for myself as OFF LIMITS. Otherwise, i would be in much worse shape than at present. I only have to deal with it for 36 days more, as i shall be retiring. Love & Profits:FLATFERENGHI

Trigger828 01-10-2013 11:24 AM

you know it is funny but when working my jobs always had food in the break rooms.

but I never ate it. I could pass it by easily....because....

I ate (alot at home or by myself somewhere) when no one was looking LOL

so while I saved calories on the job, I more than made up for them in my secret eating times

Kaarren 01-11-2013 07:41 PM

:) flat ferengi CONGRATS ON YOUR RETIREMENT:sing:

TRIGGER know what you mean about secret eating :cry:

k

Julie1972 01-11-2013 08:11 PM

We have a kitchen area close to my office and there are always temptations in there! Just this week a lady brought in 3 dozen Krispy Kremes and another day there were 2 homemade pies...........and the crazy part is the food always goes fast yet most of the people I work with are skinny!

hot-in-texas 01-11-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie1972 (Post 16189706)
We have a kitchen area close to my office and there are always temptations in there! Just this week a lady brought in 3 dozen Krispy Kremes and another day there were 2 homemade pies...........and the crazy part is the food always goes fast yet most of the people I work with are skinny!

Grrrr
I am the ONLY overweight person at my work. The food in our break room sits there for quite awhile really. If I had not changed my way of eating, there would be a much bigger dent in the stuff that's back there right now.

Janknitz 01-11-2013 11:30 PM

I've been low carbing long enough that the smell of pastries in the break room nauseates me, not tempts me. I'm ok in there except some days the big jar of peanut M & Ms calls my name. Sometime I give in and just eat ONE--just one. It works for me.

hot-in-texas 01-12-2013 08:04 AM

Just one PB m&m? Now THAT is self control.

LoriWants2Lose 01-12-2013 11:13 PM

Since no one is really eating it... I'm kind of passive aggressive, so I would probably throw a little bit of it away every time I went in and no one else was around until it was all gone. Mean, skinny people, leaving that food around to tempt you.

You might also want to try to make up a big veggie tray with fresh celery, cucumbers, green peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and take it in from time to time. Maybe others will get the idea and start bringing healthier treats, too.

hot-in-texas 01-13-2013 07:18 AM

Great ideas Lori!! I especially love the throwing away part

creseis 01-13-2013 07:21 AM

You need some young interns to eat all that food! I work at a university and the poor, hungry grad students eat all the crap before i see it!

jara 01-13-2013 07:29 AM

i hear you! teacher's lounges are the worst. one school i worked at, i didn't have a classroom so my downtime was spent in there...alone...surrounded by food! not a good situation. :mad: