LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
LC and your teeth

My teeth feel cleaner. They don't get that nasty weird film on them after eating "normally" all day. I forgot to brush my teeth last night and didn't wake up with completely gross teeth. They still FEEL clean.

Now I am 38 and don't have any cavities so I have really "good" teeth anyway but still - overnight without brushing my teeth and they still feel clean?!

Am I crazy or is LC doing that?
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I used to get a bad film-feeling on the back of my front teeth. I don't have it anymore at all.

I have a sort-of related story. I recently adopted a cat from the animal shelter. The women working there were super nice, but were both very unhealthy and overweight, had thinning hair, and one had bad psoriasis.

They told me "don't just buy any cat food!", because most cat foods have sugar in them, which will rot the cat's teeth.

I totally believe them. It makes sense - cats aren't supposed to eat sugar. I just wondered why they never connected the fact that sugar rots animals' teeth with their own health.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Yes, LC is doing that.

I went to the dentist after 3 years of not going. At that point I had been LC for about 4 or 5 months. So they did a prelim cleaning and then scheduled me for a deep clean in a couple of weeks.

When I went back, she started doing the deep clean and then said, "I don't need to do a deep clean. Your teeth are perfect." Plus, some of the damage I'd had from incipient gum disease had healed and my gums are now fine.

Compare this to before I was LC, I had to have TWO deep cleans and was battling periodontal issues.

I still have awful tartar problems, but she said that's genetic and some people are just prone to getting a lot of tartar.

The benefits of LC are never-ending!
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
When I was low carbing w/o drinking diet pepsi I also had that nice clean teeth feeling, gotta quit the dumb soda!!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
There is a whole 'industry' that would basically starve if everyone went low carb and that is dentistry. Here is a cut and paste from one of Jimmy Moore's guests last year....

Quote:
587: Dr. Philippe Hujoel Shares The Intricate Role Of Carbohydrates On Dental Health
Written on June 26, 2012

Oral health sciences professor and low-carb diet researcher Dr. Philippe Hujoel is our guest today on The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore!

Dr. Hujoel quickly came to an understanding about why dental diseases have become worse and worse over the years and he concluded that it comes down to the negative implications of carbohydrate consumption as the primary culprit. He has identified carbohydrates as THE leading cause of dental caries (cavities) and other diseases involving the teeth and gums–and it’s not just sugar either. Since 2007, as a research professor of oral health sciences at the University of Washington School of Dentistry, he has closely examined the positive results of low-carb nutrition as a means for improving mouth health. Dr. Hujoel has conducted a thorough overview of the science that points the finger of blame directly at carbohydrates and a lack of Vitamin D. Listen in as Jimmy and Dr. Hujoel discuss this frequently missed benefit of livin’ la vida low-carb!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Having two cavaties was a big incentive for me to finally let go of my reservations and fully commit to lc woe.
My last dental check up was a gold star! (Literally, the hygienist laughingly told me she put a gold star on my chart for making such a big improvement LOL)
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LastRick
Stats: 245/193/192
WOE: HFLC (+ IF)
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
I totally believe them. It makes sense - cats aren't supposed to eat sugar. I just wondered why they never connected the fact that sugar rots animals' teeth with their own health.
If you've read Good Calories, Bad Calories, Gary Taubes says as much: bad teeth is the canary in the coal mine for other insulin-related problems. Just search for "bad teeth and diabetes" and I'm sure a lot will come up.
LastRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
I used to get a bad film-feeling on the back of my front teeth. I don't have it anymore at all.

I have a sort-of related story. I recently adopted a cat from the animal shelter. The women working there were super nice, but were both very unhealthy and overweight, had thinning hair, and one had bad psoriasis.

They told me "don't just buy any cat food!", because most cat foods have sugar in them, which will rot the cat's teeth.

There are many heath conditions that can make someone have thinning hair or bad skin so it is very presumptuous to assume that sugar is the culprit and they would be all better if they just cut it out. Atkins doesn't cure every illness, and a lot of people stay overweight on even Atkins.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
nolcjunk: Sorry to offend anyone. What you said is very true - thanks for pointing out my insensitivity to the issue. I apologize.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
nolcjunk: Sorry to offend anyone. What you said is very true - thanks for pointing out my insensitivity to the issue. I apologize.
No problem. I think we just get very enamored of this diet sometimes so it can be easy to think that it's a cure all and everyone would benefit from it. When my thyroid tanked I was losing handfuls of hair and it didn't grow back until I was medicated, nothing in my diet caused it or could have helped it.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Quote:

My vet always told me in no uncertain terms that canned cat food is a last resort, the dry is much better for kitty (some brands are of course Waaaaaaaay better than others).
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
That's odd advice because every vet I've ever been to (over the past 30 years of living with cats) have told me that it's fortunate my cats prefer canned (wet) food because it's far superior for them than the dry.

I buy a grain-free dry food for my guy, but he only 'snacks' on that--all his meals are from canned food.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRick View Post
If you've read Good Calories, Bad Calories, Gary Taubes says as much: bad teeth is the canary in the coal mine for other insulin-related problems. Just search for "bad teeth and diabetes" and I'm sure a lot will come up.
On that note, I think in Taubes' other book, Why We Get Fat, he examines the studies/accounts where Grains/Sugar from "sustainable farming" was "introduced" to natives (native americans if I recall), and thier dental hygene literally disintegrated in short order.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote