Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Induction Grieving and the Remedy. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794049-induction-grieving-remedy.html)

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 09:46 AM

Induction Grieving and the Remedy.

I restarted the Induction Phase January 7th...yet again. I noticed something different this time around, Induction grieving. My first day on was no problem, but I found the second day to be more of a challenge. Toward the end of the day I found myself thinking about the carby food I was missing and grieving them. This grief went on for about 4 hours until I realized that...

1. I wasn't hungry, this wasn't physical it was mental.
2. My body was feeling good and I remembered how bad eating carbs made me feel.
3. I opened the fridge and grabbed some low carb food that I knew I would enjoy at the moment, which was celery and cheese chunks.

And this solved my grieving problems! I also realized that each new day brings it's own challenges and it's best to do Induction one day at time.

Do any of you battle Induction grief and what are some some of your remedys to combat it?

Thanks,
Phil

sooshi 01-09-2013 09:53 AM

I had this a few times, I always respond by stocking up on lots of portable low carb foods (my weapons of choice are babybels and peperamis) and eating as much of it as I want whenever I feel crave-y. Doesn't matter if I'm not truely hungry, (low blood sugar isn't truly hunger), just, nom away.

This gets me by until the carb cravings pass, and my appetite is under control :)

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooshi (Post 16183370)
I had this a few times, I always respond by stocking up on lots of portable low carb foods (my weapons of choice are babybels and peperamis) and eating as much of it as I want whenever I feel crave-y. Doesn't matter if I'm not truely hungry, (low blood sugar isn't truly hunger), just, nom away.

This gets me by until the carb cravings pass, and my appetite is under control :)

Thanks ssoshi! Yep I have some babybels in the house also. My favorite are the chedder kind! :up:

sooshi 01-09-2013 10:17 AM

Me too, they're lovely :) I love how you can just take them everywhere and they're preserved really well in the little cases...

...I sound like a babybel advert, hehe!

qwertyui 01-09-2013 10:43 AM

When I restart, I always make a cheesecake. I have a mouthful or two everytime I feel like I'm going to blow it. It helps. I make sure I have pork rinds too.

It works for me!

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertyui (Post 16183517)
When I restart, I always make a cheesecake. I have a mouthful or two everytime I feel like I'm going to blow it. It helps. I make sure I have pork rinds too.

It works for me!

Thanks qwertyui! :up:

girondet 01-09-2013 11:28 AM

I'm glad you brought the subject up. It's a very real downer for me. I too just try to have low carb foods I like on hand and the others out of the house as much as possible. I listen to inspiring podcasts or read encouraging material about low carb to keep me motivated. I take hot baths, exercise, distract myself with pleasurable activities and finally, just live through it, go to bed early until I'm back in the groove again. I envy those who can easily get back to where they were, but that's not me.:sad:

You are doing great with your attitude!

Atkins Chick 01-09-2013 12:26 PM

I never really knew what people meant by "craving carbs". Is it a mental feeling? An emotion? A physical feeling?
Although I dont really know what "craving carbs" is suppose to feel/be like, what I've noticed since starting on Jan 1st is a very strong weird taste in my mouth. Its not like being in ketosis taste, I know that bad breath taste from being in ketosis...this taste is stronger...kinda like a craving for something. but what I've realized, is that 1 pork rind solved the taste. Its like I needed something salty. Whether thats a "carb craving" I experienced, im not sure, but a pork rind solved it.

Does this make sense to anyone?

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atkins Chick (Post 16183802)
I never really knew what people meant by "craving carbs". Is it a mental feeling? An emotion? A physical feeling?
Although I dont really know what "craving carbs" is suppose to feel/be like, what I've noticed since starting on Jan 1st is a very strong weird taste in my mouth. Its not like being in ketosis taste, I know that bad breath taste from being in ketosis...this taste is stronger...kinda like a craving for something. but what I've realized, is that 1 pork rind solved the taste. Its like I needed something salty. Whether thats a "carb craving" I experienced, im not sure, but a pork rind solved it.

Does this make sense to anyone?

For me I think its more of a mental carving than anything else. Except if I'm hungry, which during Induction doesn't happen often, then It may be physical.

The incident that I refered to in the original post seemed to be a physical craving initially until I assessed my feelings and found out I was not hungry so it must have been a mental craving. This was like a paradigm shift for me!

Also: I think sometimes we give into our "mental" cravings when we are not hungry at all. If you'll excuse the phrase, "It all in the head". This is very liberating to me!

biggestloser 01-09-2013 12:42 PM

Yeah, I totally know where you're coming from! I love to eat for mental/emotional type reasons, especially when I'm bored at work or if I'm stressed out about something. Candy is my drug of choice! It was rough the first few days. I feel like after being in ketosis a few days, I don't think about my favorite binge foods hardly at all. It's really nice!

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girondet (Post 16183659)
I'm glad you brought the subject up. It's a very real downer for me. I too just try to have low carb foods I like on hand and the others out of the house as much as possible. I listen to inspiring podcasts or read encouraging material about low carb to keep me motivated. I take hot baths, exercise, distract myself with pleasurable activities and finally, just live through it, go to bed early until I'm back in the groove again. I envy those who can easily get back to where they were, but that's not me.:sad:

You are doing great with your attitude!

Agreed! Thanks girondet! :shake:

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestloser (Post 16183841)
Yeah, I totally know where you're coming from! I love to eat for mental/emotional type reasons, especially when I'm bored at work or if I'm stressed out about something. Candy is my drug of choice! It was rough the first few days. I feel like after being in ketosis a few days, I don't think about my favorite binge foods hardly at all. It's really nice!

I can't wait to get to ketosis! I hope it comes soon!

Atkins Chick 01-09-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyDude (Post 16183832)
For me I think its more of a mental carving than anything else. Except if I'm hungry, which during Induction doesn't happen often, then It may be physical.

The incident that I refered to in the original post seemed to be a physical craving initially until I assessed my feelings and found out I was not hungry so it must have been a mental craving. This was like a paradigm shift for me!

Also: I think sometimes we give into our "mental" cravings when we are not hungry at all. If you'll excuse the phrase, "It all in the head". This is very liberating to me!

It can also be considered a "habit" you're breaking. You feel you want to eat something and you typically used to go for a bag of chips or a candy bar. Now, you're stopping yourself from the habit and ALSO realizing "hey, Im not even that hungry right now"
I travel for work and in the mornings I used to order a coffee and bagel. Now, when I go up to the drive thru, I say to myself "oh, I feel like having a bagel cause thats what I used to have, but Im going to eat the low carb snacks I brought with me and just get coffee" Its breaking me out of the habit of my prior ways.

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 12:57 PM

I guess I am breaking a habit! Thanks Atkins Chick!

tymom 01-09-2013 01:47 PM

Fat bomb! dont have my latest recipe on me but its "fudge" made of dark chocolate, natural PB, cream cheese, splenda or something similar. Realy cuts the craving and full of fat so very satisfying. DH and DS even gobbled it up.

luvmybabyhead 01-09-2013 02:03 PM

This happened to me last night. Totally wasn't hungry but I really wanted carbage.

What cured it for me was looking at my 3 year old and reminding myself that I need to lose weight for her. And then I went and ate a few pork rinds! :lol: I honestly am using my family to remind me why I am doing this.

That and pork rinds! :)

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 04:12 PM

Sue, that Fat bomb sounds interesting. Let me know if you find the recipe :)

Shannon, Yeah that's exactly how I felt. It's sounds like you have your motivation in place. Mine is diabetes. My three brothers have been diagnosed with it, but I haven't yet.

svenskamae 01-09-2013 05:10 PM

I try to have lowcarb foods on hand that I really like, and try out new recipes for lowcarb food. I can afford to spend a fair amount on groceries, so I do eat luxury foods like imported French cheeses, shrimp, salmon roe, very high quality chocolate with at least 85% cacao, organic heavy cream, etc. When eating a carby diet, I ate much lower quality food (like sandwiches from a convenience store), so I have traded up in terms of quality. And the longer I go without eating certain kinds of foods (grains, sweeteners, starchy vegetables), the less I miss them.

Phil, adopting a lowcarb woe and sticking to it is the best thing you can do to avoid developing diabetes yourself, and that's a huge motivation!

sfmom 01-09-2013 07:33 PM

My fix is a cream cheese cloud - it's hard to be missing anything when you are having one of those. I also love the Sargento sharp or white Vermont cheddar cheese sticks - they are a perfect serving size for a snack attack!

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 08:27 PM

Thanks svenskamae!

PhillyDude 01-09-2013 08:28 PM

sfmom, I have to admit I've never tried the cream cheese cloud. I will have to look the recipe up! :)

LiterateGriffin 01-09-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertyui (Post 16183517)

It works for me!

I agree -- it's very hard to feel "deprived" of any type of food while eating cheesecake! I'll typically make myself one, when, say, the kids are having/going to a lot of Birthday parties, and I"m seeing all that cake. I discovered that -- as long as I'm not trying to impress company with how pretty and perfectly formed it looks -- cheesecake is easy. (The recipe I use is here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-label.html There are plenty of others, too, if you do an advanced search for "Cheesecake" in the Recipe Help areas. ;) )

I made my first one? When my daughter had her birthday party (home-made chocolate cake) followed by the movies (POPCORN! Oh, the smell...) I had been in a stall for a bit, so less gung-ho than I might be... and then all those very tempting things that everyone else ate... So rather than give in, I made cheesecake, and forgot all ABOUT feeling sorry for myself!

qwertyui 01-09-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16184765)
I agree -- it's very hard to feel "deprived" of any type of food while eating cheesecake! I'll typically make myself one, when, say, the kids are having/going to a lot of Birthday parties, and I"m seeing all that cake. I discovered that -- as long as I'm not trying to impress company with how pretty and perfectly formed it looks -- cheesecake is easy. (The recipe I use is here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-label.html There are plenty of others, too, if you do an advanced search for "Cheesecake" in the Recipe Help areas. ;) )

I made my first one? When my daughter had her birthday party (home-made chocolate cake) followed by the movies (POPCORN! Oh, the smell...) I had been in a stall for a bit, so less gung-ho than I might be... and then all those very tempting things that everyone else ate... So rather than give in, I made cheesecake, and forgot all ABOUT feeling sorry for myself!

Yep! That's exactly it! Can't feel sorry for yourself when you are eating cheesecake!

Jinny 01-09-2013 10:24 PM

"Induction Grieving" haha :lol: That's a perfect way to phrase it.
I think it's different for everyone... I missed crunchy snack foods the most. I agree that it's more of a psychological hunger.
Celery and pork rinds have a nice crunch. After induction, nuts are great too!

flexibugle 01-14-2013 02:49 PM

I have had a tendency to overdo it with cheese and/or nuts, so, for some reason black olives are really hitting the spot for me this time around. I'm in week one of induction and they have saved my life several times now. Started into week 2 today!

Trigger828 01-14-2013 04:37 PM

I never had a restart. I started 3 months ago and made it thru fine cause I was excited to start the plan.

I read alot on the boards about how to survive this change of eating. so happy the info was here and helped. what scared me was the posts where people had to 'restart'. It seemed so much harder the second and third etc. time that I made up my mind I wouldn't do that to myself.

so far so good.

funny tho I chatted to hubby today about what I 'kinda' am missing. 3 things came to mind. My stuffed jumbo shrimp and fries at my greasy seafood place. My homemade potatoe chips slathered in bacon and cheddar at another place. nasty chinese food, the egg rolls, the lomein noodles, the fried ragoons, the fried everything :)

he said what else do you miss. I said nothing. I think I got thru the last 3 months very easy actually. for some reason my body is taking to this atkins like crazy. the whole package is working for me so I am super thankful.

I am glad people chat about restarts because it keeps me in line and gives me great info from others experiences to be on my toes and proceed in good fashion.

emgee 01-14-2013 05:25 PM

The grief feels like you're having to let go of your best friend. The question/thoughts that float around are "How I am going to live without you for the rest of my life?"
Now that I write it down, it seems absurd to be in a relationship with an inanimate object.