Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
I just had someone tell me I shouldn't do Atkins because

Their doctor said it was bad. Funny, my doctor put me on this diet. I politely told him he should do his own research, look at the facts and then form his own opinion. Snarky, maybe but I get so tired of people relying on hear say and then passing it along to others when they have no facts to base it on.

Vent over
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Vent away! I was telling my mom how I will not take a statin, based on m own research, and she said, "So you think you know more than the doctor?"

And I said, "Yes, about this I do."

I respect a doctor's opinion, but they are not infallible demigods!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Well said!!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Everyone has an opinion. Can't seem to get away from them.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I don't know how Dr. Atkins became such a lightning rod but people love to form opinions about books they haven't read. I often hear "Atkins is bad because we need vegetables".
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
One of my facebook friends told me that Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack, so I should watch out. She came back with a bunch of other nonsense when I told her he died of hitting his head on an icy sidewalk. I've decided not to post anymore loss on facebook for a while. Don't need people who are overweight themselves telling me what's healthy!
snowdancer79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
At 43, I'm not real likely to do something that someone else insists I should do. I'm a reasonably intelligent woman and can figure most things out for myself. When someone tells me I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do something, I usually just smile at them and don't say anything. They shut up eventually.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I don't sugar coat it either.
when someone says atkins is bad I say, go read. it is people who have 1/2-azzed info that are the ones that don't understand it at all.

I know people think fruit is never allowed. well, sure fruit is on the lists eventually. (they don't have a clue )
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdancer79 View Post
One of my facebook friends told me that Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack, so I should watch out. She came back with a bunch of other nonsense when I told her he died of hitting his head on an icy sidewalk. I've decided not to post anymore loss on facebook for a while. Don't need people who are overweight themselves telling me what's healthy!
When I was first doing low carb, years back we were at a Birthday party at my brothers house. When asked if I wanted cake and ice cream I said no and got all sorts of looks. My sister (40-50lbs overweight) asked why and I told her I was doing Atkins...her reply "following that diet will kill you!" (this stated as she was wolfing down a piece of cake). She has Hashimotos (as does my long term vegetarian sister) and refuses to even try low carb to try and help herself.

She has never read any of the Atkins books (or any low carb books for that matter so her knowledge of this WOE is strictly hear say from the internet).

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
As a person who has tried a number of different diets and approaches to managing and losing weight with many successes and failures over the years, I will say one thing: this is a personal journey. What works for one person, does not necessarily work for another. Technically you can lose weight on any diet but it completely depends on a number of different factors, including genetics and lifestyle. I heard that about Atkins too, but what I heard was based on rumour, not on the theory behind the diet. Ironically I lost all my weight on a HC, low fat diet. But now I am probably going to have to be on a LC diet for the rest of my life because HC, low fat was how I got fat and the reasons I have struggled with my weight for years. Part of it has to do with my genetic history. I know many people who have HC diets and don't have issues with their weight at all. Good thing you take what you have heard with a grain of salt. Because if Atkins works for you then that is what you should do. I have long since given up on what other people think, including doctors. I now listen to my own body and just consider the advice of others. 8)
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
I had a coworker say the same thing at work after speaking to a friend of hers on the phone about the low carb diet her DR (the friend's DR) put her on because of all her health issues. I politely stated: "That's not true; I have done a lot of research, and I can honestly tell you that eating whole foods minus starches and sugars is not a dangerous diet!" She went on to state that she knew someone that had lost all the weight on Atkins then got "real sick" and his DR told him it was the diet! So that is why she thinks it is dangerous.

Then ANOTHER coworker chimes in that she was on Atkins and had to stop because by the 3rd week she was just "too weak" I said you were probably low on potassium and Magnesium. She said: "Well, I was eating banans and they have a lot of potassium in them" I just stared at her. She was NOT doing Atkins eating bananas during the first 3 weeks.

I just said to them to research, and not to take the DR's word for everything!!! That coworker hasn't said much to me since. But I did not care, there were other people in that room that would benefit from not eating certain foods. They needed to hear some truth!
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
I never ever use the word "Atkins" to describe the way I eat. Partly because I never followed his steps (I did my own plan, inspired by a number, including his), but mostly because people have a visceral reaction to the word.

When I say low carb, if people still feel it's appropriate to lecture, I either blow them off ("thank you for your interest" and end the discussion) or ask them what health benefits they derive from sugar and processed grains. Or, heck, even whole grains. Most can't answer that anyway.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Now this person says Atkins is a fad, starvation diet and the when your body runs out of carbs it eats away your muscles.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, my bariatric surgeon told me that if you are not getting enough PROTEIN then you lose your muscle. He said carbs starchy carbs are not necessary.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Sorry you had to deal with this.

I'd like to share a few things I've learned the hard way.
  • Most people seem to think they know all sorts of things they know nothing about. Nothing we say or that anyone else says will ever convince them they are mistaken.

• I highly recommend that, in the future, you do not ever tell anyone you are doing Atkins - or any other named diet OR that you are eat LC. Most people don't have a clue what that means & jump to incorrect, negative assumptions.

• Don't say you "can't" eat this or that. This is not true. We can all eat whatever we want to eat. We choose to eat the way we do. Make sure you let people know this is your choice. You want to eat this way & you like eating this way. Saying we "can't" eat certain foods tells others we feel deprived & they will think they need to save us.

• Try not to discuss your nutrition at all unless you know for a fact the person already knows about & supports your nutrition. If you have to tell them something do not say you don't eat carbs. Doing so is asking for Big Time Trouble.

• Skip all mention of healthy fats. The average person can't comprehend healthy & fat in the same sentence.

• Describe what you eat and say you're cutting sugar & working on eating more vegetables. Describing what we eat is likely to bring a positive reaction because it is known to be healthy. Putting a name to it & calling it a diet almost always brings negative comments because people think they know things they don't have a clue about (see first item on list!).
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 01-09-2013 at 06:06 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
Now this person says Atkins is a fad, starvation diet and the when your body runs out of carbs it eats away your muscles.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, my bariatric surgeon told me that if you are not getting enough PROTEIN then you lose your muscle. He said carbs starchy carbs are not necessary.
Eating a high-fat diet is actually shown to PROTECT your muscle-tissue, rather than put it at risk. You lose more muscle doing high-carb, calorie restricted than doing low-carb/high fat.

And if this is "starvation", I'll take it over the alternative, any day! (Also? Most fads don't last 40 years! That's gotta be a record! The 1972 edition is 41 years old.)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote