Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   For those who only eat one or two meals a day... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/794003-those-who-only-eat-one-two-meals-day.html)

Filly 01-08-2013 11:22 AM

For those who only eat one or two meals a day...

why have you chosen this path? How has it benefited you?

giJ 01-08-2013 11:30 AM

I vary what, how much, and how many times a day I eat based on my schedule and choices for the day.

For instance, today, one of my meals will be a NY Strip steak. Because of its size, and because it's bone-in (so cutting it and making only half would make half of it far less tasty), I will only eat 2 meals today.

Tomorrow, the steak will be gone. I will probably add some kind of chicken to the pork that I'm eating, so then I'll likely go to 3 meals/day.

Beezer Louisiana 01-08-2013 11:31 AM

For me, I usually don't eat breakfast until 2 p.m. (It's 1:30 p.m. and I just ate my eggs n' cheese and will have my 2nd cup of coffee now.)

I'm just not hungry when I wake up. I have a cup of coffe with HWC in the morning and that's all I want. If I would force myself to eat, I'm STILL going to want to eat at 2 p.m. and again around 7 p.m. and it's not like I'm going to eat LESS at those other 2 meals.

Eating 3 meals adds more calories to my day. I'm not hungry until around 2p.m., so that's when I eat. Then I'm not hungry again until around 7 p.m. and I eat a little (small meal) then. Usually a MIM for supper. If I've cooked a hot meal for my family, I'll have some meat.

I might have an herbal tea around 9 p.m., if I feel like it.

It's not a case of 'I'm going to starve myself so I only eat twice a day.' It just morphed into only eating twice a day because I realized I wasn't hungry for something until then. I've been LC for 2 1/2 years.

svenskamae 01-08-2013 12:30 PM

I'm not hungry until late morning or early afternoon, so I don't want to waste calories on breakfast. I do nutritional ketosis (limiting protein as well as carbs), so I have to spread my protein intake of under 60 grams across the day, and fitting them into 2 meals makes the portions look less skimpy than if I have 3 meals, also. I do JUDDD, so my down day calories need to be saved for times when I need to be not hungry at work or before I try to sleep, which is easier if I don't eat very often.

I work with a lot of constraints (limit calories, carbs, and protein grams), and it's just simpler if I don't have to work out multiple meals. On the plus side, I feel very good and am losing weight fairly steadily with this approach. And I like not having to think about food multiple times through the day; it's fuel and sometimes a pleasure, but not an obsession if I'm just doing 2 meals plus fluids.

exiledone1 01-08-2013 12:48 PM

For me it's all about time. I go to bed super late since I work on my own business. So I wake up at 9:45 am and have to leave for work at 10:30 am. So I don't have any time for breakfast really.

The other two reason is I suck at cooking, i can't even cook a piece of chicken properly, sad I know and have troubling affording a lot of the low carb types of foods. I barely make 12,000 a year so after bills and such. Money is tight so I limited the amount I eat.

limetwist 01-08-2013 01:00 PM

I started intermittent fasting after hearing the health benefits. It helped me to lose my last 15 pounds in 2012 and keep the weight off for 8 months now.

I also read it was a great way of eating for people who love to eat a ton of food all at once... :) Count me in.

Unexpected benefits that I also experienced: Not having to worry about snacks all of the time, constantly peeking in the fridge trying to decide what to eat, etc. Simplified menus. Saves money.

Eating early in the morning used to make me sort of sick to my stomach anyway. I did it because I thought I "had" to. I feel a million times better after skipping the most important meal of the day. :laugh:

Darkginger 01-08-2013 01:19 PM

I just eat when I'm hungry, and that usually turns out to be twice a day. Sometimes I'll have a snack, or add supper, but not very often. It's not something I'm doing to try to restrict my food intake, it's just my new 'normal'. I have black coffee for breakfast, breakfast foods (usually bacon and eggs) for lunch, and then something different every day for dinner. That seems to be all I need!

mom23kids 01-08-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limetwist (Post 16181566)
I started intermittent fasting after hearing the health benefits. It helped me to lose my last 15 pounds in 2012 and keep the weight off for 8 months now.

I also read it was a great way of eating for people who love to eat a ton of food all at once... :) Count me in.

Unexpected benefits that I also experienced: Not having to worry about snacks all of the time, constantly peeking in the fridge trying to decide what to eat, etc. Simplified menus. Saves money.

Eating early in the morning used to make me sort of sick to my stomach anyway. I did it because I thought I "had" to. I feel a million times better after skipping the most important meal of the day. :laugh:

I'm in the process of learning more about IF and I'm really excited by what I've been reading! I currently follow JUDDD, which sort of falls under the IF umbrella, but I'm getting close to goal and I'm now looking into other IF options for maintenance. I really would like to avoid having to count anything once I get there and right now I'm leaning towards the Fast 5 plan (a 5 hour eating window with no food restrictions). Yesterday I experimented with it and it went good :) I've also read a few different places that for women an 8 hour window works best-but that seems like it would leave too much room for overeating :confused: Need to keep researching and see what will work best for me :D

Can I ask you what kind of IF plan you follow?

sfmom 01-08-2013 02:56 PM

I am typically never hungry before 5:00 in the evening. I always have coffee with hwc in the morning and the fat in that seems to hold me all day. By the time I get home from work and get a few chores done and dinner made it's usually 7:30. I am so used to eating this way that it's 2nd nature. Like other people have said, if I am not hungry I don't eat. If I find I am hungry after dinner or on the weekends sometimes I might get hungry late afternoon I will have a snack if I need it.
The few times I have tried eating breakfast, I was starved all day long and couldn't get enough to eat. So for me eating breakfast is not a good thing.

Rhubarb 01-08-2013 03:59 PM

After reading about IF I went to an 8 hour eating window (noon to 8) about three months ago and it really suits me. I do use cream in my coffee in the morning, however.

I mainly did it because I wanted to change my feeling that hunger is an emergency and found to my surprise that it was no problem.

But I'm not fanatical about it. If I'm really wanting food in the morning I try to put it off for a while just to make sure it's real and if it is I eat. And if dinner goes beyond 8, I'm fine with it.

JMacB 01-08-2013 06:54 PM

I want to figure out a way to fast. I currently eat two meals a day, but they are breakfast and dinner. I generally eat a few eggs in the morning, either in an egg cream or cooked, and drink coffee with hwc. Then I am usually not hungry all day - and if I am I drink another coffee with cream. Then I eat dinner. I don't eat lunch, but I don't think I'm doing enough for a fast.

rubidoux 01-08-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMacB (Post 16182251)
I want to figure out a way to fast. I currently eat two meals a day, but they are breakfast and dinner. I generally eat a few eggs in the morning, either in an egg cream or cooked, and drink coffee with hwc. Then I am usually not hungry all day - and if I am I drink another coffee with cream. Then I eat dinner. I don't eat lunch, but I don't think I'm doing enough for a fast.

One of my two meals a day is also an eggcream. Yum!

As far as why only one or two meals a day...

-- I find I have a much larger appetite if I eat earlier in the day, which is probably the biggest reason.
-- I do better if I am not required to think about food all the time. Not only do I only eat one or two meals a day, but I also make sure I don't have to give them almost any thought.
-- I never snack when I eat this way. I just don't really want to. So no carbs or cals slipping in where I don't want them.
-- I started experimenting with it bc I wanted to be able to have one whopping large meal, but it turns out I usually don't eat all that much. My appetite is just never as big if I eat this way. But still, I could have a whopping large meal if I wanted to. :D
-- My blood sugar is much more stable this way. Each time I eat and inject insulin my blood sugar is going to rise and fall, even if I have everything perfectly calibrated (which is hardly ever the case), so the fewer times a day I do that the better.
-- I really like the feeling of being in control and I feel much more in control this way.

DairyQueen 01-08-2013 09:57 PM

i rarely eat what most people call meals. I'm not hungry in the morning, but often pick up some scrambled eggs and a sausage at the local korean hot bar place in the morning and snack on that during the day. If I don't do that (on workdays), I normally don't eat until I get home. Then I might have a small slice of cheese or a tablespoon of simply jif, and i'm good for a long while. Lately, I've been so busy that there hasn't been much time to cook anything, and I'm OK with that. I'll have another slice of cheese, or a slice of turkey, or a few bites of steak. Usually, a few bites of something fills me up -- for a while. I know that this sounds severe, but I try not to eat unless I'm hungry. If I come home from work and I'm not hungry, I don't eat.
Put this in the Strange But True folder.

taokeema 01-10-2013 02:44 AM

if i eat breakfast, then i tend to be hungry all day. if i don't eat it, my hunger stays under control far better.

i like getting to eat two large meals, instead of three modest meals. it's very satisfying.

i also like not having to cook and clean up as much!

Trigger828 01-10-2013 02:50 AM

I have days I fall into 2 meals per day.

I never liked breakfast but on low calori/low fat diet I did before, I ate and starved more til the next meal.

On LC I don't starve anymore. I eat breakfast and most times never hungry til around 3 or so. then a light snack and dinner at normal time.

does it benefit me? I don't know. I just eat thru the day in order to stay on plan and not be hungry and reap those benefits of losing weight and being satisfied.

so mostly days can vary. some days 5 small meals. some days 2 bigger meals. somedays I graze thru the day without making a meal really. It all works to get me down the scale as long as I stick with the food on plan.

stardustshadow 01-10-2013 04:16 AM

I eat very small meals and skip lunch. I will typically have a cup of coffee with cream and a one minute muffin in the morning, then nothing until dinner....at dinner I eat a low carb veggie (usually about 1 cup of pumpkin or some broccoli or spinach) with butter and a small serving of protein (a small steak, chicken breast, etc). This suits me fine..I had stalled for a LONG time and found that eating lunch was just a pain in the bum, since I had to cart food along with a huge number of books/computer/school stuff every day. It just works better for me to skip and maybe have a cup of coffee in the middle of the day if I feel any kind of hunger. This seems to have gotten my weight loss going again! I think my calorie level was just too high eating 3 times a day...I must have a very slow metabolism!

flexibugle 01-14-2013 01:37 PM

There are 2 reasons why I eat less frequently. First, every meal I eat is an opportunity to binge. I have a very hard time stopping once I start eating so little snacks are just not worth the risks. Second, I read about nutrition all the time and there is no proof anywhere that eating 6 meals a day is better than one. I read about a study Fitness RX a couple years ago where people ate 1200 calories a day either spread out or all at once. Results where the same, it didn't matter when you ate. And then (and I do wish I could find this article...looked everywhere) in the Peer Trainer e-mails I get daily I saw an article studying eating frequency and scientists are now starting to believe that going at least 4 hours between meals may help the body to burn stored fat more easily, particularly belly fat.

floridagirl6 01-14-2013 03:34 PM

I also find that I'm more hungry if I eat when I first get up. It's like that starts my appetite going and I want to eat all day! Therefore, I don't eat breakfast. I take a cup of coffee w/hwc with me to work and most often only drink about 1/2 of it. I have protein & yogurt for lunch and then protein & maybe a veggie for dinner.

teri f 01-15-2013 06:38 AM

I eat a very high fat diet which helps keep me full and my blood sugar/insulin levels stable.

Lokarbiebarbie 01-15-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teri f (Post 16196469)
I eat a very high fat diet which helps keep me full and my blood sugar/insulin levels stable.

Yes, that, and also...I tend to like to eat closer to bedtime, and am not hungry in the am...I eat first meal around noon to 1pm, and my second meal (and last of my day) around 8 to 9pm.

I don't make it that way...I let my body tell me when it wants to eat, and while it's 'deciding' that I prep lowcarb foods ahead so when it makes up it's mind..I'm all ready, set, go.

LadyN 01-15-2013 08:34 AM

I just naturally fell into eating this way. I have Coffee with CO in the morning, and then I am usually not hungry until around 1 or 2. Then I eat a nice meal, and i may or may not eat around 4 or 5. I ONLY eat when I am hungry.

domesticbliss 01-16-2013 10:43 PM

I have a weird sleep schedule so my "breakfast" is more like lunch.
After that I don't really eat unless I'm hungry, and this has settled into 2 actual meals and a late night snack of jello or a hard boiled egg.
I would rather eat when my body tells me I need to than eat because a consensus of the population says so.

~PaperMoon~ 01-17-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filly (Post 16181363)
why have you chosen this path? How has it benefited you?

When I'm off from work I only eat 2 meals a day, but when working I need 3 meals. My body and my mind are better with space in between meals. It just happens naturally, when I'm off work I usually have a late breakfast and I like for at least 6 hrs to go before my next meal so that ends up being close to dinner time. When I'm working there's usually 6 hours between breakfast and lunch and 6 hours between lunch and dinner.

~PaperMoon~ 01-17-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flexibugle (Post 16195208)
There are 2 reasons why I eat less frequently. First, every meal I eat is an opportunity to binge. I have a very hard time stopping once I start eating so little snacks are just not worth the risks. Second, I read about nutrition all the time and there is no proof anywhere that eating 6 meals a day is better than one. I read about a study Fitness RX a couple years ago where people ate 1200 calories a day either spread out or all at once. Results where the same, it didn't matter when you ate. And then (and I do wish I could find this article...looked everywhere) in the Peer Trainer e-mails I get daily I saw an article studying eating frequency and scientists are now starting to believe that going at least 4 hours between meals may help the body to burn stored fat more easily, particularly belly fat.

I'm like that too, I tried eating like 6 small meals and all it did was make me want to eat more and made me think abut food and eating too much. :dunno: Plus I feel better when I go for like 6 hours in between meals, it makes my stomach shrink and I get full quicker when I do eat. But I do need to eat breakfast, I'll be snacking all day trying to make up for it if I don't eat breakfast.

Cindy-lou 01-18-2013 06:53 AM

Thank you for starting this post!!:goodpost:
I was struggling with eating lunch!!
I LOVE my breakfast...can't get out of bed fast enough
Then it's lunch time and I feel myself getting grumpy because I dont really want to eat so I have a hard time being "adventurous" and by dinner time I am happy to eat again
So on this note I will enjoy my 2 favorite meals and dont get my "knickers in a knot" over lunch:hyst:

RobK 02-16-2013 09:07 AM

I no longer feel like I'm on a "roller coaster", chasing my food addiction all day. I honestly don't even think about it and don't eat until about 4-6 hours after waking up. I'm full of energy and very alert after drinking a couple cups of coffee. Not to be crude but I also wait to have a morning BM, usually 3 hours after that I will start to want a little something to eat. This will usually consist of a hard boiled egg and spinach with blue cheese crumbles vinegar and bacon.

I tend to eat my larger, more extravagant and meat heavy meal in the afternoon to early evening when I have time to prepare it and before I go for my walk. I don't typically have the opportunity to expend much energy before this period in my day.
In short, I simply listen to what my body wants; if I'm going to be doing a lot of physical labor in the morning or early afternoon (as when I volunteer or have a good deal of gardening and yard work on the weekends) then I know that breakfast is a must to keep me going.

Before Atkins, a carb heavy breakfast used to set the stage for massive food cravings all day and leave me "crashing" before 1pm if I didn't eat a carb heavy lunch, then another "crash" at 4pm, followed by lack of energy at 7pm and killer cravings for sweets around 9-10pm before bed. I'm simply not chasing those ups and downs and feelings of deprivation anymore, I can truly "listen" to what my body wants and eat for fuel, not for sport.

In short, do what makes sense and works for you, we all have different levels of activity and differing levels of satiety. It's the only way you are going to be able to make this a way of life that you can stick to.:up:

1sweettea1 02-16-2013 01:39 PM

Excellent post and excellent attitude, Rob! :goodpost:

Kimberli33 02-17-2013 03:25 AM

I'm usually only really hungry once or twice a day.I try to only eat when Im hungry.I eat 30 carbs a day on avg and only eating once a day allows me to indulge a little more at that 1 meal.

valentine319 02-20-2013 12:34 PM

Hi everyone, know I've been away a while. I'm back and wanted to add my w cents.

I've tried the 6 meals a day. Truth is, I would rather save my carbs and eat 2 times a day. I'd rather save them up. There is so many things I don't like so eating small carbs of crap I hate won't work for me. I'd rather do a snack and a good meal.

My philosophy of needing many meals to keep my metabolism up I don't find to be true for my body anymore.

Maumie 02-20-2013 01:22 PM

Most days I'm just not hungry after breakfast until it's close to dinner time. But, if I am hungry...I eat. It's a non-issue.