Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
so many people warned me about ATKINS

they are gone, and i am still here. I wonder who was right? Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
I admit that while I have felt the wonderful "side effects" of eating more fat and less carbs I sometimes have that small voice in the back of mind telling me this may not be so good. I try to shake it off though because I know it comes from years of hearing that fat is bad.
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #33
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
I initially started on a low carb diet to lose some weight. Then I really delved into the science behind the WOE and realized that the health benefits were as important as, if not more than, the weight loss benefits.

Whenever I see someone of ANY size, shape or form eating HC I feel pity because I'm sure they are they thinking "I'm skinny, so I can eat this" or "I'll just exercise more to burn off these excess calories" when in reality they are doing so.much.damage to their bodies that are not visible to the eye. Genetics aside, I think that low carb is the *healthiest* WOE out there.
Agreed!! Good post. In an odd way, having excess weight is a bit of a 'heads up'.

DiamondDeb
Quote:
Why is it the fat that is bad in the high fat/high carb diet?

Why isn't it the carbs or the combination since it is the combination that causes bad things?
I agree. Remove the carbs and the answer is clear.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I don't believe that it's the carbs in combination w fat....I think it's the carbs, period!!
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flexibugle
Stats: 169.9/155.7/135
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 01/07/13
I have a friend in the next office beside me who has struggled for years now with her weight since being diagnosed with type II diabetes. She starves herself month after month and year after year on 1200 and 1400 calorie diets. It takes her months to lose only a few lbs. She's tried low carb but only with no fat. I've told her time and time again, you need to add fat. Add more fat. Now she's onto another nutritionist who once again has carbs in the diet and restricts the calories but still she watches the fat and tries to "eat clean". You have to wonder how someone can spin their wheels for so long with an unwillingness to just try some FAT!

Fat is the only thing that keeps me from binging. Fat is my friend who allowed me for 4 1/2 years to maintain a size 4/6. Fat is what makes my food taste delicious each and every day! I just started back this week but this was a great thread that really reminded me why I was so successful for years on low carb and why it is the only right way for me to eat. I love you fat!
flexibugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexibugle View Post
.... I love you fat!
You made me laugh!! I love you fat too!!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goldgirl24
WOE: LC, kinda induction
Start Date: August 2012
Whenever my friends see me with my full fat foods they always give me the look. Yes, that look. The "you're crazy, don't you know you're going to get heart disease and die?" one.

Meanwhile they're sitting there with their all-carb no-fat 1) granola bar 2) yogurt 3) 100 cal cookie pack. All processed and full of sugar!

Amazing to me that people still have this notion that a salad with cheese and steak is worse than food that gives you no energy or nutrients.

When I ask them why they think fat is bad, they respond "..it just is...fat makes you fat, it's pure science." Well check the facts hun.
goldgirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexibugle=QUOTE

Fat is the only thing that keeps me from binging. Fat is my friend who allowed me for 4 1/2 years to maintain a size 4/6. Fat is what makes my food taste delicious each and every day! I just started back this week but this was a great thread that really reminded me why I was so successful for years on low carb and why it is the only right way for me to eat. I love you fat!

YEAH! I love fat too!
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
A lot of people are under the impression that low fat/high carb may be ok for some, but I disagree with this. Some people are able to stay thin and appear healthy on low fat/high carb, but remember that ultimately you need to have LDL that is made from fat and not carbohydrate. The LDL produced from carbohydrate does damage to arteries. Plus, if you eat high carb, you will have more insulin and ultimately do more damage. So, you might be able to stave off the bad side effects from eating high carb better than someone who has more clearly visible problems from it, but I don't agree that it is a healthy way to eat for anyone.

Another issue I have with people claiming high fat/low carb is bad is that they think your kidneys will fail from all of the protein, but this is false because low carb actually has shown to improve kidney performance, even in patients with kidney disease (citation missing). This is because less protein will be sourced from muscle breakdown, which is a side effect of a low fat/high carb diet, and less of a side effect from high fat/low carb, especially after ketoadaptation. The only time during high fat/low carb that your kidneys are processing more nitrogen is during the first few days, when your body has not switched to utilizing ketones for energy.

So, it is not the combination of carbs + fat, it is just the carbs. Remember that. I hate it when people say "well my body does better on xyz...", or, "everyone's body is different," what an excuse to not understanding the science! First off, everyone's body is not different *enough*. The chemical processes are the same, the only difference is how much damage can be tolerated.

Last edited by creseis; 01-13-2013 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: added a sentence
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I used to eat almost zero fat! I was terrified to eat any fat. I started with turkey burgers and other lower fats meats. Now? I buy only the highest fat meat and love it. But, none of my real life friends will try it. They all think I am just lucky that I can eat so much and stay thin, even after I explain my struggle with food and weight.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
I used to eat almost zero fat! I was terrified to eat any fat. I started with turkey burgers and other lower fats meats. Now? I buy only the highest fat meat and love it. But, none of my real life friends will try it. They all think I am just lucky that I can eat so much and stay thin, even after I explain my struggle with food and weight.
Although I had already experimented with low carb, when I was 21 I was determined to "get healthy" and lose some weight while I was at an internship in a very remote area in NM. I stuck to a low calorie, very low fat diet. I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables. I remember the worst thing about it was that I had terrible stomach aches and gas, especially right after eating apples. I ate lots of fat free yogurt. I exercised a lot, I ran every day and did a lot of hiking. I gained 8 lbs. When I returned to NY, I did low carb, my stomach problems went away immediately, and I lost all the weight and then some.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
IMO there are many paths to being healthy and it doesn't have to be LC/high fat. And I think there's so much conflicting info these days that you have to decide who your authority is. I don't have any overweight people in my family on either side, and it seems that everyone just stays at a slim or average weight by a bit of portion control and staying away from fast food, candy, sweets, and extra calories in general. Who am I to knock that? My husband has always been slim and healthy and chooses to eat lots of veggies, fruits but limits meats and absolutely doesn't touch candy, or sweets. But he does drink beer. I have two friends who kept weight off through Weight Watchers. So my attitude is "do what works, that you can stick to."
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote