LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
getting my whine on

Ok, I'm going to feel sorry for myself for just a minute, and then I will get back to business and be ok. My DD has had to be GF for most of her life(she's almost seventeen.) I have dealt with it, sometimes with grace, sometimes not so much. She also has a peanut allergy, which is very severe. When she was little it was really hard to find anything she could eat because they didn't have all of these great GF products on the market at the time. I am in the zone doing GF now with no issues or complaints. Doing LC is easy to incorporate GF into my menu planning.
Now comes my WHINE: She has been having horrible stomach pain for a year now. The doctor diagnosed her with IBS, which I'm sure she probably has because of how she handles her stress. They finally did a colonoscopy and they called me yesterday and said that she does not digest any of the sugar in lactose no absolutely NO dairy at all!! WHAT?!?! I put dairy in everything. While I am so happy that they found the source of her pain, I am trying so hard not to totally freak out. Now I have to cook GF, SF, DF, peanut free.
Ok, I'm finished with my WHINNEEE
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Ah sweetie i'm sorry. I'm glad they found the source to her pain/problems but i'm sorry she's having problems to begin with. I hope incorporating DF will get easier
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Oooh, yeah, that's whine worthy.

A friend of mine - who already had IBS and a lactose allergy (not just intolerance) found out last October (so a little over a year ago) that she's also allergic or intolerant to soy, eggs, gluten, and a whole host of other things. After a minor nervous breakdown about how to deal with it, she made a few decisions, including to start a food blog with a friend of hers (who also has a lot of food allergies). They did it because most of the allergen food blogs, from what they found, were designed for kids, and they wanted more adult-like foods. She took the bad and changed it for good.

(She's also a big part of the reason I went low carb. We both agreed to try our various necessary WOE for a year, figuring at the end of it, we could always go back to the SAD if we didn't feel enough better. Neither of us went back.)

I don't know that I can post the link, but I'm sure it's google-able. It's about Surviving the Food Apocalypse, or something like that.

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sooshi
Start Date: 5th June 2010
You can get milk in the UK that is lactose free - I've not tried it but I've heard good things.

But... I might be getting the wrong end of the stick here.. but isn't lactose sugar, and one of the substances we all avoid here? So, by extension, would she be okay eating cream, cheese and non-sugary dairy products, aka low carb dairy?
sooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
C-fine that is definately whine worthy news!!! I am glad that you found the source of DD's pain, I know it will take some adjusting but I am sure that you will get into the groove of it.

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Whine away--we all get to sometimes.

But when you're done, pick up your head, look around, and google Paleo. Here's a whole movement of people who have VOLUNTARILY given up grains, legumes (especially peanuts) and dairy for their health. A whole community for you and your daughter. The movement is blossoming, and there is a wealth of resources, incredible recipe sites and new recipe books. You'll be amazed. Many of us incorporate low carb into Paleo as well. It's an easy adaptation since Paleo permits healthy fats (animal fats, coconut oil, olive oil) and shuns refined sugars and artificial sweeteners.

You may want to start by looking into the GAPS diet or specific carbohydrate diet to help your daughter heal the damage to her gut (and boo to the doctors who never told you there is a lot of cross reactivity between celiac and dairy sensitivity--it might have saved your daughter a lot of pain). Once healed, the dietary options under a Paleo diet are nearly endless, it doesn't have to feel restrictive at all.

And the bonus is that she will be healthier and feel better than you ever thought possible.

Last edited by Janknitz; 01-08-2013 at 07:34 AM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Sorry : ( You are totally allowed to whine! I feel your pain.

One of my greatest struggles is trying to come up with meal ideas (dinner mainly). I am no chef, and I really don't like cooking. I have a wheat allergy and I eat low carb, so everything processed is pretty much off the list, along with rice, potatoes, etc. that GF people usually enjoy. Oh yeah... I'm allergic to zuchini, pumpkin, squash, cucumber, watermelon, etc. too.

So yes, there are options still... that leaves me with meat, eggs, dairy, and some vegetables. On a budget. And my husband is somewhat of a picky eater. We eat a lot of chicken and ground beef with vegetables. I eat hb eggs and a cheese stick with almonds at work, so dinner is really the only issue.

It makes me want to scream sometimes!!!!!! But, we manage....!!

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Change can be hard, so feel free to whine away! I'm glad the doctors finally figured out your daughter's stomach ailment.

Almond milk is really good, if your daughter isn't allergic to nuts also. If she misses cheese, Daiya Foods makes non-dairy cheese that is free of soy, gluten, eggs, peanuts, and tree nuts (excluding coconut). It isn't suitable for LC though. The cheddar flavor wedge is a lot like american processed cheese, and the jalapeno havarti is very close to the real thing.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I second the recommendation for looking into paleo blogs and cookbooks. Here are some paleo cookbooks that I like: Primal Blueprint Cookbook, Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Cookbook, Practical Paleo, Paleo Comfort Food, and Well Fed. The author of WellFed has a lot of recipes on her Clothes Make the Girl website. Also, there are recipes avoiding most allergins in the cookbook "What to Eat when you can't eat anything."
Once you've looked through a bunch of paleo recipes, you may be able to think of ways to modify favorite recipes (e.g., coconut oil instead of butter, full fat coconut milk instead of half and half or cream). And paleo recipes will avoid grains, peanuts, dairy, and sugar (though some of the dessert recipes substitute honey or agave, which you might want to skip from a lowcarb perspective).

Here are a few more thoughts:
If soy is not a problem, consider substituting soy products for some dairy ones. The soy version of sour cream, tofuti, is really not bad, and there are soy-based versions of cream cheese, etc. For some recipes, say, those calling for a dollop of sour cream on top, some members of the family could add sour cream and some who don't tolerate dairy could add the soy version.

After your daughter has been off all dairy for 3-4 weeks, consider trying her tolerance for 1) ghee (butter heated until the milk solids separate and can be removed); 2) butter and cream (some people who can't tolerate milk can eat them); 3) goat's milk or goat's milk cheese (tolerated by me when I had intolerance to cow dairy); 4) sheep's milk cheese (again, tolerated by me when I had intolerance to cow dairy).

My understanding is that the composition of goat's milk and sheep's milk is quite different from cow's milk, so maybe they (especially the cheese, but also milk, yogurt, etc) would be tolerated fine by your daughter.

Good luck. You definitely deserve to whine, but I know you will get through this--you are a strong person who has coped successfully with a lot of hard challenges.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Hugs to you and your daughter. Have you checked out the GAPS diet. Sounds like a very likely case of leaky gut to me.....

INTRODUCTION DIET
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Btw, once your daughter's gut has healed, she may be able to tolerate highly fermented dairy like yogurt that's been fermented at least 24 hours, keifer, cultured sour cream. Fermentation consumes the milk sugars.

But I wouldn't go there until you're certain her gut is healed. GAPS diet can guide you in reintroducing these things.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I don't know if this is helpful, but my daughter tested highly allergic to dairy, even goat's milk. Her stomach was a mess for several years until we figured it out. She went totally dairy-free for a couple of years, and was able to slowly it back in to her diet with no problems. I don't know why that happened, but we're greatful! (Unfortunately, in the meantime, she discovered she's allergic to almonds, too. No more almond flour goodies!)
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
You're totally allowed to whine! I had to give up gluten, dairy, and eggs....dairy was the hardest for me (my first word was cheese according to my mother). I use Daiya cheese replacement. I can also get away with some sheep or goats milk and imported mozzarella that is made with Water Buffalo milk. The eggs were hard too since they can be a real staple in LC foods. The websites everyone is recommending have been a real help in trying to figure out what I'm going to eat!
RavenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Girl, you can have some cheese and LC crackers with that whine!! Whine worthy for sure!!

I wouldn't know where two begin!
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote