Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Skipping Induction, going straight to OWL? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/793964-skipping-induction-going-straight-owl.html)

spacegoddess 01-07-2013 11:58 PM

Skipping Induction, going straight to OWL?

Has anyone had success at skipping induction and going straight to OWL? I was wondering if this would be a good option if I felt I couldn't do the induction, but still wanted to lose weight. Anyone want to try it with me? I want to get my weight down and look good at my sons graduation in April. Add me as a friend if you would like to try.... :)

Melody

:help:

LoriWants2Lose 01-08-2013 01:12 AM

Melody, I would suggest trying to do induction first for a minimum or a week but preferably two. I have tried it the other way and my body never adjusted to life without carbs and I fell off the wagon pretty quickly. It is a tough couple of weeks, but you'll drop weight quickly, which will also inspire you. That is just my recommendation from failing over and over and over again until I got a diabetes diagnosis and now HAVE to stick to it or get ill.

Also, I hated the thought of giving up fruit and grains and I didn't like meat. But about day three, my tastes began to change. I now LOVE things I used to hate eating. I even like some fish now, which I would never ever eat before and I have a new love affair with turkey and shrimp. I really think that the induction period resets your body and your taste buds. I hope you succeed however you decide to go about this lifestyle. Good luck and enjoy your son's graduation.

Biochic 01-08-2013 03:44 AM

What is it about induction that you think you can't manage? Too low carb count? Honestly after day 3-4 it gets pretty easy. Headache goes away (induction flu) and hunger decreases significantly.
Having said that, there are many low carb plans that don't have an induction phase. My first attempt way back when was with the carb addicts diet. Pretty easy to follow and helped me lose the few lbs I needed to.
Good luck with whatever you decide;)

Mimosa23 01-08-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriWants2Lose (Post 16180106)
Melody, I would suggest trying to do induction first for a minimum or a week but preferably two.

I really think that the induction period resets your body and your taste buds.

:goodpost:
I agree with this.
Although it may seem daunting at first, there is a reason why we have to do the two week induction period. If it wasn't of any consequence, it would have been left out of the programme.

I would really recommend you stick with the two week induction period, as it will set you up for success and will get you into ketosis, which will help with overal weightloss, wellbeing and health.

Good Luck!

sooshi 01-08-2013 04:59 AM

No, you don't have to, as someone has already said there are plenty of plans that don't include the induction stage.

When I started lowcarbing it wasn't Atkins (still isn't) and I dropped into ketosis in a few days all the same.

That said, induction is designed to bump you quickly into ketosis and give your plan a head start - when I need to reset I use a similar method myself.

In conclusion I suppose, it's worth trying as it does have it's benefits.

Becky 01-08-2013 05:27 AM

First time I did Atkins I did induction, it wasn't too bad as I wasn't a big sugar/carb O'holic, second plus time I did Atkins (low carb as I tweak a bit) I never did induction, mainly because I "geared up" for low carb for a week or so before hand which was basically a loose version of induction, getting the carbs out and shifting into low carb gear.

If this is your first shot at Atkins I would suggest you do induction. The first try should always be by the book, in my opinion.

Moonequipt13 01-20-2013 12:30 PM

I also suggest trying induction, I actually stayed on it for a little over four weeks and lost at least a pound a day. To make it work you really need to be strict, absolutely not a single carb over twenty, and just as important, no sugar alcohols, only deduct fiber to arrive at net carbs!

JessieBear 01-20-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegoddess (Post 16180082)
Has anyone had success at skipping induction and going straight to OWL? I was wondering if this would be a good option if I felt I couldn't do the induction, but still wanted to lose weight. Anyone want to try it with me? I want to get my weight down and look good at my sons graduation in April. Add me as a friend if you would like to try.... :)

Melody

:help:

The purpose of induction is to get the carbs out of your system. It takes about a week or two. If you try to just cut down, you may feel like you are starving all of the time and could be miserable & feel deprived.

Sugar and wheat causes cravings - for sugar and wheat. Pull them out completely for 10 days to 2 weeks and it is a MUCH easier go for OWL.

Arctic_Mama 01-20-2013 07:46 PM

I'd still do at least a solid week of induction - it isn't all that different from ongoing weight loss, especially if you do OWL correctly and are only adding one group (and really one food per day, max) at a time and giving it the proper stretch. Think of induction as the basis of OWL, like any other rung, and if you cope well with the foods then you can move forward. But for both ketosis and general detox from cravings, I think induction is crucial to success in the higher rungs. If you don't take care of bad food habits and cravings at the beginning they certainly won't get easier to manage with more variety and trigger foods, as many of the rungs contain.

You can do it if ketosis is a physiological issue for you and thus induction is something you can't stick to, but I really don't recommend it. What's a week or two of induction in the scheme of things, anyway? Hardly a blip in terms of time but quite important to the foundation of your future habits and health.

rubidoux 01-20-2013 08:16 PM

I think you should try to do a real induction partly because it will be much easier than you think. The first two days or so may feel hard, but by day three or possibly four (I have never had it take that long, though) you will feel better than you have in years and you won't have an appetite.

marieze 01-20-2013 08:47 PM

I never did induction, went straight to eating between 20 to 30 carbs per day, never had the headache or induction flu and was in ketosis within 48 to 72 hours!

Everyone is different. Not advising you what you should or shouldn't do, just sharing my personal experience.

jennbeingme 01-21-2013 06:29 AM

I think you should do what you feel best about. Start at induction level 1- it's healthy, and yes it allows a few more things to choose from. I always start( yeah- repeat offender here) by eating low carb- but not limiting my portions for a week- ie get rid of all grains and fruit but don't limit anything else- just to start- THEN I'll start watching portions- and geez better not eat the whole jar of mayo ( joke- really!) thinking. Everyone is different- you are in this for the long haul- do what works for you then tweak as you go.

Punkin 01-21-2013 06:56 AM

Well I did the phases backwards because I was concerned about the effect reducing carbs would have on me. I don't know if what I did was the right way, but I gradually reduced my carbs until I got to 20 - 25g per day. Based on my experience this is what I noticed, the difference between phase 1 and phase 2.

-in phase 2 I still had some mild hunger pains, although they were bareable. I was still "cheating" and taking the odd bite of a high carb food. Although bingeing urges were reduced significantly.
-in phase 2 I had the odd bingeing urge but it was controllable, I noticed it more on the higher carb days however when they were approaching 50g per day.
-in phase 2 high protein days also bothered me, stimulating my appetite.
-eating out and eating at social functions is easier in phase 2.
-in phase one, I can easily eat below my maintenance without having to deal with hunger pains.
-in phase one, I am a lot more sensitive to the "taste" of carbs. Some foods that I used to not like the taste of ie. plain steamed cauliflower. I love and can't wait to eat. I don't miss potatos because I look forward to eating cauliflower.
-in phase one, I can eat more fat, because I eat less carbs. I like eating fat.

Even though phase 1 seems harder, I prefer it because it just makes my day easier. Eating out and eating at social functions is more of a challenge, but I have come up with strategies for what to do in those cases. I think you should at least try induction phase 1, whether you start there or not, it doesn't matter. I didn't think I would prefer phase 1 over phase 2 but I do. It probably depends on the individual. Because I think you could still meet your goals even if you never go into phase 1. Hope that helps.

MargD 01-21-2013 07:21 AM

I didn't do induction and didn't miss it, but I only had a small amount of weigh to lose and I eat a mostly vegetarian diet.

astribling 01-21-2013 07:50 AM

I did not do induction, but I also am not doing strict Atkins. My plan was just to cut out wheat and sugar and keep my net carbs between 40 and 50. However, I do also count calories somewhat and try to stay between 1500-1700. I still lost about 7 lbs my first week.

However, as everyone else has said - everyone is different and you need to find what works for you! :)

jandjsmom 01-21-2013 08:29 AM

I didn't follow induction in that I never have counted carbs. I knew for me if I had to keep track of everything I ate, I would never stick to it. I would always write down what I ate, but never did I measure, weigh or count! Too much for me and I knew I would never keep it up.

I just cut out wheat and sugar and ate only LC foods. It takes longer probably to lose the weight but you have to find what YOU are willing and happy to do that you can stick to it. I think it is a personality thing as well. Some people thrive at the strictness and enjoy a plan where there is more planning and "rules" to follow. Some people may start that but feel overwhelmed (me!) with all of that and need a little more relaxed approach. You just need to find a balance and what you can do.

LC works and works really well. It is the best way to eat not only for weight, but for health and nutrition! Look at it as a WOL and not a diet and figure out how to make it work best for you!