Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
someonelikeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 736
Gallery: someonelikeyou
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-Start January 2014
Sharon Osborne on Howard Stern: LC Works!

Did anyone catch Howard Stern's recent interview with Sharon Osborne?

He was telling her how great she looks, and she gave all the credit to Atkins and low carb. I know she's a paid spokesperson, but she really honestly seemed behind the WOE. She said her whole family does it and they keep getting skinnier and skinnier...
someonelikeyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member
 
summer_tyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 10
Gallery: summer_tyme
Stats: 190/190/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2013
I did not hear her on Howard Stern, but I have heard her on The Talk. She really does seem like she is behind Atkins. Of course, I am sure the "paid spokesperson" part is a perk as well...
summer_tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,578
Gallery: Strawberry
I seem to recall her doing a low carb diet before she signed on to become an Atkins rep. I think she does genuinely follow and believe in the diet.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
susume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: small town in Northern MN
Posts: 2,466
Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
This is very good. She looks great. Ya, the rest of the family looks good too. Yey for us. Glad she has spoken the good words.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
gymnut56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois, Chicago area
Posts: 114
Gallery: gymnut56
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 1/25/14
This is great news. I watch 'Fashion Police' (her daughter Kelly is one of the commentators) and I had already noticed that Kelly continues to lose weight and I wondered how she was doing it.

Didn't Sharon have bariatric surgery? I do believe that a lot of the post surgery people are advised to follow low carb.

Mary
gymnut56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
omgtwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Branch, MI
Posts: 69
Gallery: omgtwins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
I think a lot of folks getting that kind of surgery are told to follow LC - true.

Also, I think Sharon Osborne is gonna kick Atkins back into the mainstream (like I said on the post about Atkins frozen foods found in Wal-Mart.
I'm gonna be very careful with those, but he commercials and Sharon being a spokes person will bring Atkins awareness like Marie Osmond, Jennifer Hudson, Valerie Bertinelli and whoever else are doing for weight watchers, jenny craig and nutrisystem.
This should be a positive effect in restaurants menu selections as well - maybe not immediately, but before the end of the year, I hope!

I am, however, worried about the bars and shakes - I think they arent the best idea and some folks who want an easy fix might experience stalls and then quit, blaming Atkins as more a commercial value than a real lifestyle change
__________________
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
Thomas Paine

Jennifer 218.6/203.6/160
omgtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
someonelikeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 736
Gallery: someonelikeyou
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-Start January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymnut56 View Post
Didn't Sharon have bariatric surgery? I do believe that a lot of the post surgery people are advised to follow low carb.

Mary

She did have bariatric surgery, and she discussed this with Howard... She said something along the lines of "I am proof it sometimes doesn't fix the problem."
someonelikeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Sharon is also a cancer survivor and the newest research is that LC is extremely helpful in shrinking/keeping at bay cancer in those prone to it.

If she knows/finds out, I wish she would speak out about this also. Perhaps when there is more research.
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 113
Gallery: dejaht
Stats: 97/96/83kg, 5'11.5'', originally 120kg in Aug 2012
Start Date: Restart Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
Sharon is also a cancer survivor and the newest research is that LC is extremely helpful in shrinking/keeping at bay cancer in those prone to it.

If she knows/finds out, I wish she would speak out about this also. Perhaps when there is more research.
YES THIS!! I have friends whose five year old daughter has a brain tumour growing back after surgery to remove it last year. It's what the girls paternal grandmother died off, and cancer is very strong in their family.
I gave them an article on ketogenic diet therapy for brain tumours as I came across it looking for something else, and though I wasn't sure it would be welcome I couldn't not pass on the information IYKWIM. They seemed happy to receive it and I hoped they would consider it but when we were there last nothing had changed diet-wise for their little girl. She still gets a lot of sugar I won't say anything further to them as they need love and support and it's their decision, but if it was my child they would be on a zero carb diet.
dejaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
dejaht - I understand completely. I have had 3 family members die of cancer in the last 10 years and only WISH I had this information to share with them. I want to share it with every friend, family member, and acquaintance that I know has cancer. Like you, what they do with it is purely up to them and will not affect my relationship with them, but they have to at least KNOW!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 113
Gallery: dejaht
Stats: 97/96/83kg, 5'11.5'', originally 120kg in Aug 2012
Start Date: Restart Nov 2013
Yes exactly Lori! I was nervous to pass the article on to them as I didn't want to stick my nose in where it wasn't welcome, but I couldn't not give it to them.
I am so sad and worried for their daughter, she is only a year older than my oldest son, and I just can't imagine what they're going through. Our friends parents both died of cancer when he was a teenager, his brother has had it, but for his daughter to have it now is just heartbreaking.
If the information on low-carb and cancer was more mainstream, maybe they would have given it more consideration?? I really hope the research in this area continues and results are made public in a big way.

Last edited by dejaht; 01-07-2013 at 12:11 PM..
dejaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 323
Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
However, in the ad, Sharon mentions that she eats "whole grains" as part of her diet. I guess you have to say those magic words to be taken seriously.

Last edited by abby!; 01-07-2013 at 12:22 PM..
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
LoriAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,158
Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaht View Post
Yes exactly Lori! I was nervous to pass the article on to them as I didn't want to stick my nose in where it wasn't welcome, but I couldn't not give it to them.
I am so sad and worried for their daughter, she is only a year older than my oldest son, and I just can't imagine what they're going through. Our friends parents both died of cancer when he was a teenager, his brother has had it, but for his daughter to have it now is just heartbreaking.
If the information on low-carb and cancer was more mainstream, maybe they would have given it more consideration?? I really hope the research in this area continues and results are made public in a big way.
I completely agree.
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Meek75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 22,834
Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
I saw her on a recent Atkins commercial. I'm glad to hear that she really follows the plan.
Good for her.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
jem51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: south central OR
Posts: 3,645
Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Didn't Sharon have a lap band a couple years ago then had it removed?
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
omgtwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Branch, MI
Posts: 69
Gallery: omgtwins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelikeyou View Post
She did have bariatric surgery, and she discussed this with Howard... She said something along the lines of "I am proof it sometimes doesn't fix the problem."
Someone Like You posted this, Gem
omgtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,351
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I like that Sharon is very open about her weigh issues and that she represents an woman of a certain age and metabolic state.

As for the 'wheat' rung - it is part of the Atkins plan and some people can apparently, at some point, add back in a bit. I think however, that if Dr. Atkins were alive today with the current scientific information now available, would have concluded that it is not advisable for anyone. Just speculating of course.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
I'm here to help!
 
SugarFreeSheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,999
Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
She really looks great! I know her testimony will help many others struggling to lose. My hat's off to her.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
snowdancer79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado's Playground
Posts: 1,423
Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/170/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgtwins View Post
I think a lot of folks getting that kind of surgery are told to follow LC - true.

Also, I think Sharon Osborne is gonna kick Atkins back into the mainstream (like I said on the post about Atkins frozen foods found in Wal-Mart.
I'm gonna be very careful with those, but he commercials and Sharon being a spokes person will bring Atkins awareness like Marie Osmond, Jennifer Hudson, Valerie Bertinelli and whoever else are doing for weight watchers, jenny craig and nutrisystem.
This should be a positive effect in restaurants menu selections as well - maybe not immediately, but before the end of the year, I hope!

I am, however, worried about the bars and shakes - I think they arent the best idea and some folks who want an easy fix might experience stalls and then quit, blaming Atkins as more a commercial value than a real lifestyle change
I agree with you on the bars and shakes. I think they are just another form of the overly processed crap that makes America fat in the first place. I guess they are handy to have around for emergencies, but I think it gives people the wrong idea of what this WOE is based on. I personally cannot eat any of the Atkins products because they give me terrible, terrible gas for hours. That's my body telling me to go eat an egg instead.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
coffeelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 555
Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
She looks great (well a tad too much plastic surgery in the face!) . BTW, I read an interview where she said that she has a lap band.

My Atkins book from the 1990s has whole grains starting from Pre-Maintenance so it seems like she's completely legit in her choice.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
creseis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ancramdale, NY
Posts: 940
Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I just saw an Atkins commercial with Sharon for the first time last night and was surprised that it's making such a come-back. I still feel like they've commercialized it and it won't work the same with all of the new processed foods.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
Trigger828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,891
Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby! View Post
However, in the ad, Sharon mentions that she eats "whole grains" as part of her diet. I guess you have to say those magic words to be taken seriously.
but it is the truth. the last rung of the ladder of atkins is adding in some whole grains. so many do eat grains on atkins. just not til the bitter end after weight loss. a very careful eating option for sure.

mentioning whole grains is part of atkins. way later, but part of it. if she is on maintenance she can incorporate some whole grains.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.