Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Walmart's ranch wings are delish! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/792979-walmarts-ranch-wings-delish.html)

wannabethin57 01-05-2013 09:37 AM

Walmart's ranch wings are delish!

At least once every week or two I buy these. They are not breaded, but fried in a dry ranch rub. So good!! Has anyone tried these? :)

Grinsnits 01-05-2013 09:58 AM

Nice! I haven't but thanks for the heads up. I get pork rinds at Walmart (can't find them at my grocery store), so I'll have to look for those wings.

sya_unit 01-05-2013 10:08 AM

Are they sold at the hot deli area? I haven't ventured over there because it all looks breaded and gross.

wannabethin57 01-05-2013 10:45 AM

Yep! :)

shelby'snana 01-05-2013 10:47 AM

oooooooohhhh !!! Thanks for telling us. I love wings, hate the mess of making them.

Are they as expensive as at the pizza places? I hope not !

wannabethin57 01-05-2013 11:04 AM

You can get a pound for around $5.

jccj58 01-05-2013 01:21 PM

I've been eating a lot of wings from Publix in South Florida. They have non - breaded fried ones that are spicy. You get 20 I believe it is, for about $9. Hope they are LC. I don't know what the "spicy" is.

John

Lokarbiebarbie 01-05-2013 02:21 PM

I make them at home. First I soak the wings in Italian dressing...then drain a bit, cook for 45 min. then sprinkle a packet of ranch dry dressing mix over...pop back in for 15 min. or so. If you put parchment or foil down, it's a quickly, less messy clean up.

shelby'snana 01-05-2013 03:30 PM

you don't fry them ? When I tried just baking them, the skin stayed kinda rubbery and wouldn't crisp up all the way.

Any tips ? I have a big package of them in the freezer and I LOVE wings !

Mobird 01-05-2013 03:39 PM

I mostly make my wings at home because my family likes mine better. I'm definitely going to try making ranch wings.

Lokarbiebarbie 01-05-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelby'snana (Post 16174013)
you don't fry them ? When I tried just baking them, the skin stayed kinda rubbery and wouldn't crisp up all the way.

Any tips ? I have a big package of them in the freezer and I LOVE wings !

These DO get crispy though...when I take them out, I 'drain' them off, then position them close together (actually I do about 34 of them this way and freeze some) and then sprinkle the entire packet of ranch dressing on them...and the mix makes them very browned and 'crispy' all over.

shelby'snana 01-05-2013 06:45 PM

okay thanks ! I will make them that way :)

muncheechee 01-05-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lokarbiebarbie (Post 16174297)
These DO get crispy though...when I take them out, I 'drain' them off, then position them close together (actually I do about 34 of them this way and freeze some) and then sprinkle the entire packet of ranch dressing on them...and the mix makes them very browned and 'crispy' all over.

gas or electric oven? my gas oven never gets the wings crispy enough for me but my mom's electric oven sure does.

leaving30something 01-05-2013 06:51 PM

I just made buffalo wings tonight! Yum sooo good, but I have the same problem with the skin staying somewhat rubbery I have to cook them forever to get crispy and then they start to stick. What temp do you cook yours at?

shelby'snana 01-06-2013 12:59 PM

Okay, I'm gonna make these in a bit and I will check back in and let y'all know how they turned out :) my mouth is watering......... :)

Iwantlessofme 01-06-2013 02:31 PM

I will be looking for these. Thank you for the info!!

Mindy

Lokarbiebarbie 01-06-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muncheechee (Post 16174364)
gas or electric oven? my gas oven never gets the wings crispy enough for me but my mom's electric oven sure does.

I've made them in both...and the ranch mix makes a sort of 'breading' on them. With a gas oven, you could always up the temp the 15 or 20 minutes after you put the mix on them

shelby'snana 01-06-2013 05:28 PM

Hey ! Thanks ! They turned out great ...... I'm so excited and I ALWAYS use the foil on the cookie sheet......so clean up was super easy peasy..

jessica86 01-07-2013 08:26 PM

oh wow, I thought they were breaded and off limits! Makes me want to go tonight. Those are so good!

catne 01-07-2013 08:35 PM

anyone have any idea what the actual carb count is on the Walmart ranch wings? So many of the dry rubs have sugar in them:sick:

And those of you that make them at home...the website I checked said the entire packet of Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix...for the dry mix alone...is 16 carbs. Is that what your brand says? And how many wings are you using the packet on?

Just trying to get a guesstimate on the carbs...hubby would love some ranch wings, but I figured they were probably 2-3 carbs per wing, which would be a bit high when he'd want to eat a dozen, lol.

shelby'snana 01-07-2013 08:54 PM

yes, my packet was 16 per packet, but I used it on like 26 wings and only used 1/2 of the packet. My DH loved them !! Will definitely make them again. And scale was down this am :)

LoriWants2Lose 01-08-2013 01:24 AM

Not tried them, but I'm going to look for them now. Thanks for the heads-up. I love anything with Ranch.

Vilya 01-08-2013 09:51 PM

I tried these at Walmart; I just bought 3.

They were good, but soooo salty! I don't think I could have eaten more than 3. Think I will try to make them at home, where I can control the amount of ranch powder. They were very nice in a "junk food" way though. LOL

Lokarbiebarbie 01-09-2013 04:10 PM

I do a packet to 35 wings and everytime I have these, the scale IS down the next day. I end up eating about six wing sections to eight...and eight comes out to about 4 grams carb from the mix. Not bad.

socaligirl714 01-10-2013 04:46 PM

going to try these i loveeeeee wings!!! mostly hot but love to try diff ones...

Vilya 01-12-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lokarbiebarbie (Post 16173895)
I make them at home. First I soak the wings in Italian dressing...then drain a bit, cook for 45 min. then sprinkle a packet of ranch dry dressing mix over...pop back in for 15 min. or so. If you put parchment or foil down, it's a quickly, less messy clean up.

What temp is the oven? I want to try this! Can I skip soak them in dressing first, and just start with cooking? Do I need to spray the foil with non-stick?

wannabethin57 01-13-2013 07:46 AM

Love the convience of buying them, but will try and make them using the dry ranch pkt.

Vilya 01-13-2013 08:17 AM

I ended up using my Dutch oven and fried them. I used 1 packet of ranch for 2 lbs. of wings, which was a little bit too little. I'll use more next time. They came out great, though! :)

spoiltmomof2 01-13-2013 10:26 AM

So it's just ranch mix and chicken wings? I'll have to try this out.

I bought a bag of individually frozen wings. I'm assuming I need to thaw them first??

Vilya 01-13-2013 10:54 AM

Mine were thawed first.

I bought a 2-lb. bulk pack of untrimmed wings and trimmed/separated them myself. Then I divided them into two gallon-size Ziploc bags and sprinkled half the packet of ranch into each bag. Seal and shake. That's all I did. I always look for the easiest possible cooking method. :laugh:

I fried them in my Dutch oven, in coconut oil.

I would use probably a half-packet more of ranch next time. I could taste it on the finished wings, but it was pretty faint. I do wonder if I had let them sit in the bag and kind of stew in the ranch powder for a while if I wouldn't gotten more flavor. I'll have to try that next time...