Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovelymc72
WOE: low carb
please help with info

there is something that has always confused me. I know low carb works and works pretty well, but after some time when you read the boards and looking at so many making an attempt to either get back on track or starting over because of the weight gain. it makes me wonder sometime from personal experience that once you put carbs, sweet, etc in your mouth, it is soooo easy to gain back quickly and more than where your started. then you have some on weight watchers that has the carbs or whatever and the weight has stayed off for some time. How do you eat carbs and lose the weight? This may be a silly question or post, but i always wanted to know. Is it just some people can lose eating carbs and some cant? If I were to eat toast and egg whites for breakfast, that may throw me off, but I have coworkers who eat that way all the time and are in great shape or lost tons of weight.
lovelymc72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
The weight will stay off for anyone who makes their diet a WOL. It doesnt matter if you are doing WW, Atkins, etc. The problem is that most use it as a quick fix and dont change their lifestyle. That's my take on it.
pocahontas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
The weight will stay off for anyone who makes their diet a WOL. It doesnt matter if you are doing WW, Atkins, etc. The problem is that most use it as a quick fix and dont change their lifestyle. That's my take on it.

I always felt too restricted on low carb, so I had to find what works for me, and that's JUDDD. If you feel like you can make low carb your WOL, instead of "just a diet" then it will work for you for life. If you don't think you can, then it's possible you'll need to find something else. Never give up and you'll eventually find what works with your lifestyle and personal needs.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
If the person who is eating WW-style decides to switch and eat non-WW-style (or higher calories/fat), they will probably gain too. I think for some of us, we are addicted to carbs/sugar. When I cheat, I don't eat egg whites and toast. I really, really, cheat. And by that, I overeat thousands of calories of sugar/carbs for days or weeks on end. I gain easily. BUT, I would gain with that kind of cheat on any diet or WOE. The difference and reason I keep with LC is that I cheat less and I want to cheat less. With WW, I was constantly cheating and regaining.

You need to pick a way of eating that you can continue for the rest of your life.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovelymc72
WOE: low carb
oh, please dont think i am knocking low carb. I do know it works and works well and I do try to stick with it as much as humanly possible, but life happens and sometimes we all cant be perfect. funny thing is now having 2 slices of light bread (pepperidge farm) does seem like a cheat to me. I know it may not be a big deal, but when having 1/4 cup of oatmeal or so is considered a cheat, that is when i have some questions. I love low carb though, dont get me wrong.
lovelymc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymc72 View Post
oh, please dont think i am knocking low carb. I do know it works and works well and I do try to stick with it as much as humanly possible, but life happens and sometimes we all cant be perfect. funny thing is now having 2 slices of light bread (pepperidge farm) does seem like a cheat to me. I know it may not be a big deal, but when having 1/4 cup of oatmeal or so is considered a cheat, that is when i have some questions. I love low carb though, dont get me wrong.
People differ in how sensitive they are to carbs. I found that even when I severely restricted calories (to under 1000/day), I could NOT lose weight, because I am very carb-sensitive/insulin resistent. Some people lose weight or maintain weight fine if they eat a modest amount of carbs, such as oatmeal or light bread. You may have to experiment to see what works for you. I think that's one reason why Atkins works for many people; they can try slowly adding various types of carbs and test whether they continue to lose (or can maintain) at various levels and types of carb intake. Have you tried working up the Atkins ladder? Or maybe considered doing something like South Beach, which incorporates a higher level of carbs after the first 2 weeks? Or tried JUDDD (alternative day calorie cycling), which can be done with any type of eating plan? (I do a lowcarb version of JUDDD, because I am so sensitive to carbs, but many others follow JUDDD successfully other ways).

I don't agree that everyone can lose weight on any plan, so long as they stay on their diet--because I must keep carbs very low to lose. But that's just my experience, and you may need to experiment or try alternative plans (giving each enough time for a fair test) to see what works best and is most manageable for you.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I lost 70 lbs on diet restriction. I ate bagels, bread, french fries etc. It was all based on calories for the day. tops 1250. anything over that I gained.

but it was all SUPER DUPER portion controlled. When I hit goal, I could not maintain it. I was stinking hungry as a bear all the time.

yes people can eat bread and maintain their weight. but the minute I eat a bagel, I want 2 or 3 of them slathered in butter. Any carbs trigger me.

know yourself. find the plan that fits you and run with it for life. for me carbless is perfect. I can eat a ton of satisfying food and survive long term!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jccj58
Stats: 196.5/175/155
WOE: Atkins ~20g carbs per day
Start Date: January 4th 2009
My problem is I don't want light bread or oatmeal. I want cake and donuts and all the other carbage of that type. I tend to binge and over do it. So I need to make this a WOL. I think I am pretty sensitive to carbs in general, but the junk food is like crack or something! Hard to explain I guess. Hope what your doing will work for you!

John
jccj58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Quote:
It depends where you are with low carb and how many carbs you personally can handle.
When you first start low carb, you typically keep your carbs below 20 carbs.

Oatmeal has about 26 carbs for 1/4 cup, so it would not be a good option. Would it cause major weight gain? Maybe not if it were the only carbs you ate that day. It would probably cause major cravings again, which would be the bigger problem for me.

As you make this your WOE and you become close to your ideal weight, you may start to see what your body can handle. Maybe you can handle some oatmeal or some bread without gaining major weight. But it might cause other issues, like binging or gut troubles.

I know that I can eat some things now that I didn't eat when I was actively trying to lose. I eat a little bit of fruit and some carrots and peanut butter occasionally. And I indulge in mocha in my coffee. I do okay.
Eating 2 bites of brownies would not be okay. I can't handle that without binging and having gut issues.

So- why can some people eat carbs and lose and some can't-- I think that is the combo. High fat/high carb is not a good option for losing weight.
Low fat/low carb would leave most feeling hungry.
Low fat- moderate carb- that's close to WW. You can lose weight that way. I did it. I just didn't get satisfaction out of food. I felt deprived.
Low Carb/high fat - works well because it is satisfying. I like high fat food. I don't miss bread. I made it through a year without life getting in the way of my WOE.

So - sorry for the ramblings...jut trying to explain the best I can.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
remember it depends on the person.

if in maintenance most can eat more carbs. some can't. heck even with atkins in maintenance they have you up to about 60-70 carbs per day. while I know I can not ever do that, some can easily do it.

and the carbs people choose are important. If you choose one bagel at 40 carbs, and stick to 20 carbs of good options like veggies, protein etc and don't over do it, you just might be the type that can easily handle that in maintenance. I know it will never be me literally. anything over 30-40 tops I start to gain.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
We all have to find what works for us. I had a hard time sticking with LC because I have zero willpower, but getting diagnosed with diabetes gave me the motivation.

I am now able to stick with it and my bs is in a normal range without medication. However, we do plan an occasional "cheat". The cheat is usually very limited (I don't eat sugar, ever) such as ONE slice of thin crust pizza and then I don't eat the edge of the crust. I pile extra toppings on it. Or, to use your bread example, I might have one slice of that light bread always with protein of some sort. When I say occasional, I mean once or twice a month and not once a day.

I have heard others say that they can't plan a cheat like this because it derails them. You have to find what works for you. For me, low carb is healthiest because of the sugar issues.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
I agree with this, whichever diet you choose you have to make it your lifestyle. I think some just get too comfortable once they lose the weight and think oh it's okay if I eat a little more here or a little more there since I've reached goal, and pretty soon they just get on a slippery slope. I think the trick it to not get too comfortable once you do reach goal and still stick to the woe that got you the weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

I always felt too restricted on low carb, so I had to find what works for me, and that's JUDDD. If you feel like you can make low carb your WOL, instead of "just a diet" then it will work for you for life. If you don't think you can, then it's possible you'll need to find something else. Never give up and you'll eventually find what works with your lifestyle and personal needs.
The trick is to find what works for you, something you can live with for the rest of your life. Some do better on other diets than low carb and some if they eat carbs will get hooked on them and be unable to remain in control.
The thing with weight watcher is that some have to have carbs in order to lose so they restrict in other ways and for some eating carbs just trigger more cravings and makes restricting impossible. I know for me, the little taste of sweets and carbs in weight watchers would have just made me want more. I do better with as few carbs as possible, but I was a sweet aholic. Some do fine with small amounts of sweets. For me eating a few sweets was like an alcoholic trying to stop while still taking a little sip of alcohol every day. LOL! Not going to work! For me I couldn't fast one day and eat almost nothing then eat a whole lot the next day, my body needs sameness every day, but for some, eating like that works better. But the trick to whatever woe you choose is sticking with it even after you reach goal and don't get so comfortable after you reach goal that you begin to stray away from the woe that got you to the goal. That's the key. There's tons of advice on what to do to lose the weight but not much on what to do to maintain the weight loss.

Quote:
And that's pretty much what happens when those who reach goal end up falling off the wagon I think. Life just happens. Things happen that takes their attention away from their woe and the wrong eating creeps back in. They lose focus.

~The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved. ~
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kumambert
When I'm on plan and things are going well, I crave things like light bread, apples, carrots or brown rice. All good for "conventional" dieters. If I eat those things, however, I gain weight and my low-carb groove is destroyed.

I can only imagine what would happen if I was scarfing down donuts or french fries. Carbicide.

I'm starting to think I must be very insulin resistant

Luckily the longer I am low-carb, the less I even consider the possibility of donuts or french fries. I would still kill for an apple, though... maybe in maintenance.
Kumambert is offline   Reply With Quote