LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goldgirl24
WOE: LC, kinda induction
Start Date: August 2012
Jay Robb Protein Powder

Hello!

I'm contemplating switching from my typical breakfast of cream cheese pancakes to a protein shake for a few reasons. Convenience wise, being able to drink the shake on the road is much easier. I've also found that I need to cut my dairy consumption by a little.

I researched around and found a Jay Robb whey protein powder with 1g carb per scoop. Is this too good to be true?

I need something that can keep me full for awhile and a thick shake seems to do the trick. I found a good recipe by the Eades doctors that consists of blending the powder with water and heavy whipping cream.

What do you guys know about these? Are they considered a "frankenfood" that should be avoided? All input is very appreciated!
goldgirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gymnopedie
Stats: 276/258 (VGS)/ 146.8 /140
WOE: Atkins/VGS done 12/3/12
I use it.

Jay Robb is not "thick" on it's own, when mixed according to the directions. It's very thin. If you were to throw it in a blender with some ice, or add greek yogurt to it, that might thicken it up.

It IS sweetened with Stevia, so there is a little bit of that flavor, but I don't mind it.

What I do is blend it:

1 Scoop chocolate Jay Robb
10 oz Coffee
2 oz almond milk or coconut milk or 2% milk (depending on the day)

(ice) if I want it cold

And it tastes just like a mocha. It holds me for at least 2 hours.

The one I had this morning I used 2% milk and it came out to 5g Carbs and 27g Protein.
Gymnopedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
It's a good pp for many-do a search here at LCF-many many threads on Jay Robb's. PP is a highly individual thing-what tastes good to one can taste like fried monkey behind to another. With JR's for me I like the vanilla but not the chocolate so much.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Protein powders is a processed food but not a frankenfood. Depending on the ingredients they can help or hinder us.

I used to use other, less expensive protein powders, but over time I've become more particular about what I put in my body. Jay Robb is now my protein powder of choice.

I have not made shakes for a long time - I have almost no counter space & my Keurig won the battle for the tiny space I do have. I'm planning to figure out something soon so I can easily access both my Keurig & my blender because I really enjoyed my protein shakes. I always add other ingredients & make the shakes in a blender.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I've shared the recipes & info below a few other times but it has been a while so I'll re-post it here. The recipes are pretty good.

You want to use a good LC WHEY protein powder. Whey is best for taste, and for maintaining/building LBM. What tastes "good" to one person may be awful to another; you just have to try some. IMHO, LC protein powder rarely tastes good with just water, but mixed with other things in a blender you have an amazing and nourishing treat that is completely on plan!

Shakes have been part of my plan since day 1 of LCing! I love them. Here are a few of my favorite recipes. You can change amounts and eliminate or add other ingredients to suit your taste & your plan for the day. When I first started making protein shakes I used Splenda &/or SF syrups. Now I use Stevia only because I no longer use artificial sweeteners.

Basic Low Carb Shake:
2-3 Tb heavy cream + water or Sugar Free syrup of choice to equal 1/3 cup
1 oz. cream cheese
1/2 t. vanilla
Stevia or Splenda to taste
4-5 Ice cubes
1 serving LC whey protein powder (always put liquids in blender before adding dry ingredients for best blending)
1/8 t. Xanthan Gum for thickening (Add after all other ingredients are well mixed)

Add your choice of the following:

Pumpkin:
2 blocks of frozen pumpkin (ice cube size)
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice
1 t sugar free maple syrup or maple extract to taste
pinch of salt.

Butterfinger:
1 T cocoa powder
2 T natural peanut butter

York Peppermint Patty:
1 T cocoa powder
Peppermint extract to taste (usually 1/8-1/4t)
This has got to be my all-time favorite flavor for anything using protein powder!

Mounds:
1 T cocoa powder
4 Coconut Milk ice cubes (to replace the ice cubes) or
Coconut extract to taste

Chocolate-Banana
1 T cocoa powder
1/2 t banana or banana extract or to taste (I will never forget when I discovered banana extract! What a treat!)

Blueberry:
1/2 cup blueberries
Lemon or coconut extract to taste (I usually use the coconut)

Eggnog:
1 tsp. Rum extract
pinch of salt
You may want to add additional sweetner
top with nutmeg
You may not want to wait for the holidays to try this one!

Strawberry-Peach:
1/2 - 3/4 cup fruit (combo of strawberries & peaches, frozen or fresh)
1/4-1/2 t almond extract
1 1/2 T dried mint (fresh would work, too)
This one is so good I can't begin to describe it! Try it once and you'll be addicted!

What good is a protein shake if you follow the recipe & it still comes out wrong?

Tips for making a great protein shake:
  • ALWAYS put your liquid ingredients into the blender before you add your protein powder. This will make it mix better & not stick to the container.
  • I have found that, if you are tracking nutrients, you really need to figure the stats (carbs/protein/fat/calories) out using your own ingredients because brands vary quite a bit.
  • You can use fresh or frozen fruit, but I prefer frozen for shakes. It helps to make the shakes thick.
  • Penzey's Dutch Cocoa is excellent & only 1g carbs.
  • The coconut ice cubes are really great & some people use them in all their shakes! But they are a must in the Mounds shakes! (well, extract will do in a pinch!) Do try the blueberry shake with coconut ice cubes--it is fantastic!
  • Coconut milk comes in a can, unsweetened (but check the label to be sure). The brand I usually get is Goya. You can find it in the ethnic food section of your grocery store. You pour it into an ice cube tray, freeze, then put the cubes in a baggie in the freezer for adding to your shakes. You do the same thing for the pumpkin ice cubes.
  • Check your extracts for ingredients. Most extracts are fine but a few contain things we want to avoid. I believe I discovered once that my rum & maple extracts contained fructose? I think that was it. I threw them out so can't check to see. Health food stores may be more likely to carry ones without fructose.
  • If you like your shakes bit thicker, add a tiny bit of xanthan after you've blended the other ingredients. Use too much and you'll end up with a clumpy, lumpy mess!
  • The ingredients & amounts are not written in stone. You can eliminate some or change amounts (like on the 1/2 & 1/2). If you've got extra carbs to use up, add a bit extra fruit, running short on carbs, use less fruit or skip the fruit shake and go for a shake that is lower in carbs. They're ALL great!
  • Non-LCer or lower fat peeps! You think I don't see you drooling over these? No problem! I've adjusted these recipes to fit nutrition plans from one extreme to the other. Just use low fat dairy products or eliminate them completely. You can also use cottage cheese instead of the cream cheese if you like. You might need a bit more xanthan gum and/or more ice cubes for a thick shake.
Enjoy!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
It's a good pp for many-do a search here at LCF-many many threads on Jay Robb's. PP is a highly individual thing-what tastes good to one can taste like fried monkey behind to another. With JR's for me I like the vanilla but not the chocolate so much.
I agree, I tried Jay Robb powders a couple years ago and could not stand the taste/aftertaste, and they didn't mix well without a blender. The only one I liked was the egg white powder. I personally prefer Natural Factors Whey Factors, which are also less expensive than Jay Robb's. The flavored varieties are sweetened with stevia and they are made from rBGH-free milk, which Jay Robb's are as well.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 12-30-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
IMO Jay Robb is the best protein powder out there.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
Thank you DiamondDeb for that list! Lifesaver!
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I am a fan of Jay Robb Vanilla Egg Protein Powder. Yes, more expensive. But is never gritty. I am going to try it with my coffee tomorrow. Sounds delish.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have found that I do consume more protein than I need. I have cut back on the amount of protein each day.
drjlocarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Jay Robb Protein Powder

Jay Robb Protein Powder has become my favorite. When I'm in a hurry or just not too hungry I will make a shake with almond milk, protein powder and two or three frozen strawberries. If my carb count can afford it I'll also add 1/3 of a small banana.

Also when I make a one minute muffin I add about a tablespoon of Jay Robb Protein Powder. It changes the texture some but taste great.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
My teenage kids love Jay Robb Vanilla. Sometimes they add a banana, because they're not low carbers.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyDude
Stats: 240/237/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1st time 11/2006. Lost 41 lbs. Restart 1/7/2013
subscribing...
PhillyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Posting to subscribe to this thread.

I just bookmarked a bunch of recipes that use this as part of a wheat substitute so was planning to hit up Netrition for some. Thanks all for the additional shake instructions.

Happy New Year everyone!
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
IMO Jay Robb is the best protein powder out there.
Ita.

As far as protein powders, you'll be hard-pressed to find one that's better quality. I personally think it's the best-tasting one around, too, but as its been mentioned, taste is so individual.

I like:

1 scoop vanilla
1 cup mixed frozen berries
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
maybe some flax seed.

Or:
1 scoop chocolate
1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
1 TB coconut oil
lots of ice
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
Jay Robb's was too sweet for me. I switched to About Time whey. It's still sweetened with stevia, but much less.
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gladsome
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/3/08
I like the Vanilla Egg White ( Jay Robb) but it gives me stomach aches.
I am wondering if the Whey would be gentler on my stomach?

Thoughts?
Gladsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: azcruisegurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladsome View Post
I like the Vanilla Egg White ( Jay Robb) but it gives me stomach aches.
I am wondering if the Whey would be gentler on my stomach?

Thoughts?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
Hi I am new to these boards (Love them)..
Robb Roy as well as all whey hurts my stomach.
I would LOVE to find a LC protein powder that
is easy on the stomach.....[/
FONT]
azcruisegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
Have you tried taking a digestive enzyme with your shake? It may help...
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Some people just don't do well on whey protein (my daughter is one of them). A little extra fat may help with that.
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/127/<119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/5:2
Start Date: May, 2011
Just weighing in as another fan of Jay Robb.

I plan on trying some of the recipes in this thread. Thanks!
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cablegriz
Stats: 218/178/200/140
WOE: LC, Insulin Resistant on Metformin HCL 2000mg
Start Date: April 23, 2010 a restart for my health
Bump
Cablegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I've shared the recipes & info below a few other times but it has been a while so I'll re-post it here. The recipes are pretty good.

You want to use a good LC WHEY protein powder. Whey is best for taste, and for maintaining/building LBM. What tastes "good" to one person may be awful to another; you just have to try some. IMHO, LC protein powder rarely tastes good wiith just water, but mixed with other things in a blender you have an amazing and nourishing treat that is completely on plan!

Shakes have been part of my plan since day 1 of LCing! I love them. Here are a few of my favorite recipes. You can change amounts and eliminate or add other ingredients to suit your taste & your plan for the day. When I first started making protein shakes I used Splenda &/or SF syrups. Now I use Stevia only because I no longer use artificial sweeteners.

Basic Low Carb Shake:
2-3 Tb heavy cream + water or Sugar Free syrup of choice to equal 1/3 cup
1 oz. cream cheese
1/2 t. vanilla
Stevia or Splenda to taste
4-5 Ice cubes
1 serving LC whey protein powder (always put liquids in blender before adding dry ingredients for best blending)
1/8 t. Xanthan Gum for thickening (Add after all other ingredients are well mixed)

Add your choice of the following:

Pumpkin:
2 blocks of frozen pumpkin (ice cube size)
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice
1 t sugar free maple syrup or maple extract to taste
pinch of salt.

Butterfinger:
1 T cocoa powder
2 T natural peanut butter

York Peppermint Patty:
1 T cocoa powder
Peppermint extract to taste (usually 1/8-1/4t)
This has got to be my all-time favorite flavor for anything using protein powder!

Mounds:
1 T cocoa powder
Coconut extract to taste

Chocolate-Banana
1 T cocoa powder
1/2 t banana or banana extract or to taste (I will never forget when I discovered banana extract! What a treat!)

Blueberry:
1/2 cup blueberries
Lemon or coconut extract to taste (I usually use the coconut)

Eggnog:
1 tsp. Rum extract
pinch of salt
You may want to add additional sweetner
top with nutmeg
You may not want to wait for the holidays to try this one!

Strawberry-Peach:
1/2 - 3/4 cup fruit (combo of strawberries & peaches, frozen or fresh)
1/4-1/2 t almond extract
1 1/2 T dried mint (fresh would work, too)
This one is so good I can't begin to describe it! Try it once and you'll be addicted!

What good is a protein shake if you follow the recipe & it still comes out wrong?

Tips for making a great protein shake:
  • ALWAYS put your liquid ingredients into the blender before you add your protein powder. This will make it mix better & not stick to the container.
  • I have found that, if you are tracking nutrients, you really need to figure the stats (carbs/protein/fat/calories) out using your own ingredients because brands vary quite a bit.
  • You can use fresh or frozen fruit, but I prefer frozen for shakes. It helps to make the shakes thick.
  • Penzey's Dutch Cocoa is excellent & only 1g carbs.
  • The coconut ice cubes are really great & some people use them in all their shakes! But they are a must in the Mounds shakes! (well, extract will do in a pinch!) Do try the blueberry shake with coconut ice cubes--it is fantastic!
  • Coconut milk comes in a can, unsweetened (but check the label to be sure). The brand I usually get is Goya. You can find it in the ethnic food section of your grocery store. You pour it into an ice cube tray, freeze, then put the cubes in a baggie in the freezer for adding to your shakes. You do the same thing for the pumpkin ice cubes.
  • Check your extracts for ingredients. Most extracts are fine but a few contain things we want to avoid. I believe I discovered once that my rum & maple extracts contained fructose? I think that was it. I threw them out so can't check to see. Health food stores may be more likely to carry ones without fructose.
  • If you like your shakes bit thicker, add a tiny bit of xanthan after you've blended the other ingredients. Use too much and you'll end up with a clumpy, lumpy mess!
  • The ingredients & amounts are not written in stone. You can eliminate some or change amounts (like on the 1/2 & 1/2). If you've got extra carbs to use up, add a bit extra fruit, running short on carbs, use less fruit or skip the fruit shake and go for a shake that is lower in carbs. They're ALL great!
  • Non-LCer or lower fat peeps! You think I don't see you drooling over these? No problem! I've adjusted these recipes to fit nutrition plans from one extreme to the other. Just use low fat dairy products or eliminate them completely. You can also use cottage cheese instead of the cream cheese if you like. You might need a bit more xanthan gum and/or more ice cubes for a thick shake.
Enjoy!
Uh subbing purely for this. Awesome!
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh yeah. I also prefer jay robb. Especially for doughnut holes.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Oh yeah. I also prefer jay robb. Especially for doughnut holes.
Is that a recipe you can share?
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Barefoot Billy
Stats: 340/265/225
WOE: CKD/Anabolic
Start Date: August 2011
I've worked in three different health food store chains and the advice I always gave concerning novices to protein powder was to get what tastes good. It doesn't matter how many bells and whistles or how awesome the nutritional profile of a product is it won't do you any good sitting in your cabinet. I normally purchase all my products from Netrition these days, but I think hitting your local Vitamin Shope or GNC and sampling different proteins might come in handy due to their return policies. It's a low risk way to dial in which products suit you the best.

My personal favorite proteins are as follows (will attempt to link Netrition)
Pro Complex by Optimum Nutrition -great taste and great profile
Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex

Isopure Zero Carb- not much of a taste, but the profile is unbeatable
Nature's Best IsoPure Protein Powder

Muscle Provider by Beverly International- best taste in my opinion, but pretty pricey
Beverly International Muscle Provider

100% Casein Protein by Optimum Nutrition- lots of flavors and a nice change of pace from whey when you want a slower digesting protein that will stay with you longer
Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein

And lastly my go to RTD is Lean Body by Labrada- you pay a premium for convenience, but for my money it's the best combo of taste and nutritional profile in that market.
Labrada Lean Body Ready-To-Drink Shake

As far as recipes go I have two go to moves right now
2-3 ice cubes
1/4 cup HWC
2 scoops Chocolate Pro Complex
SF Kahlua syrup to taste
1/4 Chocolate or Cinnamon dusted almonds
and H20

Or
3 frozen strawberries
1/4 cup HWC
1.5 scoops Vanilla Casein protein
Crystal Light Lemonade instead of water
Barefoot Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
BUMP

Thanks for the great recipes.

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBear View Post
Is that a recipe you can share?
As soon as I get to my computer I will find it.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #29
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrw85705 View Post
Jay Robb Protein Powder has become my favorite. When I'm in a hurry or just not too hungry I will make a shake with almond milk, protein powder and two or three frozen strawberries. If my carb count can afford it I'll also add 1/3 of a small banana.

Also when I make a one minute muffin I add about a tablespoon of Jay Robb Protein Powder. It changes the texture some but taste great.
Wow, Ralph, you look great in your Avi! What a success!!

My understanding is JR is not as damaged as some of the other cheaper protein powders are. I use the Whey and I think it blends very well.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Sweet Pea's WPP Doughnut Holes

1 large egg
1/4 cup melted butter
Sweetener to taste, if needed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (1/3 cup)
Coconut oil

Topping:
Sweetener & cinnamon

Taste and texture-wise, these fall somewhere in between true doughnuts and funnel cakes. They cook very fast, so make sure you have everything on hand!

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it's hot enough for frying. While the oil heats, beat the egg lightly with the melted butter, then add the protein powder, and vanilla. Taste and add sweetener if you want it sweeter. I find the Jay Robb Vanilla sweet enough.

Whisk together until all the lumps are pretty much broken up, then let it rest a minute or two and whisk a bit more (batter will still have a grainy look to it, but that's fine).

Using a large tablespoon or serving spoon, drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls into the hot oil in batches of 4.
Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, which will only take a few seconds, then flip.
Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with sweetener and cinnamon to taste and serve hot.

Makes about 8-12 doughnut holes

Pictures in the link.