Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   coconut oil question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/792266-coconut-oil-question.html)

Luca 12-29-2012 06:02 AM

coconut oil question

Ihave added about 2 spoons of co to my morning and afternoon coffee (2 spoons altogether-not for each cup) could this hinder weight loss?

I feel like it has slowed down weight loss? experiences w. co pleas share?

svenskamae 12-29-2012 06:31 AM

If you increase your fat intake enough so that your body can burn that instead of your stored fat supply, then yes, adding coconut oil could hinder your weight loss. Dr. Steve Phinney acknowledges that it's possible to gain weight by eating too much fat/too many calories from fat, though it's harder to gain weight from fat intake than from carb intake (because fat doesn't prompt blood sugar and insulin spikes).

I don't know how big your spoonfuls of coconut oil are. Tablespoons? That would add about 200 calories/day to your dietary intake. Level teaspoons? Then only about 70 calories added.

You might consider cutting out or cutting down on something else to counter the effect of adding the coconut oil. I use coconut oil to saute meat and vegetables and eat a couple of tablespoons of coconut butter as a very filling small meal, but I also take care to count that, along with everything else, when I figure out my calories and grams of carbs, calories, and fat for the day.

picklepete 12-29-2012 10:09 AM

For me at least, coconut oil/butter is an instant appetite killer so in the long run it's a wise food choice, but it's not a "more is better" magic potion either--it's food and should be used as such.

Luca 12-29-2012 11:10 AM

You know...looking at my question now, its pretty obvious. You are all right..too much is too much no matter where it comes from. I cant say the co has been an appetite suppressant so I need to cut back...(duh!?:o)
thanks guys...

clackley 12-29-2012 11:35 AM

Coconut oil is a great addition to a ketogenic diet (and a low carb diet). I would look for other things to omit or reduce than this if you believe it is a calorie issue affecting you weight loss. Most people find that c.o. works the opposite way and increases losses.

DiamondDeb 12-29-2012 11:53 AM

It is best to use coconut oil in place of other oils.

Also, it is good for fat loss but not necessarily weight loss. They are very different things. Fat loss = inches lost. Weight is just a number on a scale at any given moment.

It is also great for LCers to consume before a workout. It helps with energy.

picklepete 12-29-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16158663)
Coconut oil is a great addition to a ketogenic diet (and a low carb diet). I would look for other things to omit or reduce than this if you believe it is a calorie issue affecting you weight loss. Most people find that c.o. works the opposite way and increases losses.

Co-sign.
If I suspected that my calories were too high, coconut would be the LAST thing I cut since it's probably the most nutritious and clean element of my menu.

I'll often take 1 tbsp coconut butter with my daily vitamin D capsule, with the mind set of savoring it and allowing it to displace other things I might be inclined to snack on later.

jijane21 12-29-2012 09:31 PM

As you can see from the above posts, it's more of a depends on how to take it thing. I don't use it to supplement my diet with more calories, but to supplement with more fat so it helps me not to eat calories I might otherwise. CO is usually my morning "meal" and maybe a couple ounces of sharp cheddar. It really does help with appetite suppression throughout the day.

LoriWants2Lose 12-31-2012 12:10 AM

I find that it kills my appetite and cravings, but I do make mine into a fat bomb with peanut butter, so I'm getting some protein with it. It is so yummy and satisfying to me. It almost always knocks out any sweet craving I might have.

LiterateGriffin 12-31-2012 05:36 AM

CO is where I get most of my before-dinner calories. It's my breakfast (in the form of coffee/fat bombs), and often my lunch (or MOST of my lunch) as well, because a bit of it and I'm not hungry -- or even interested in food.

Also, it keeps me regular. ;)

"During the day" is a dangerous time for me, food-wise, as I'm at home, where the food lives. This makes it easy to grab a handful of something to graze on -- pretty much by definition something I don't actually need. CO helps curb this tendency.

Also, just felt the need to point out that there are 2 tsp in one TBS, so, using the math provided above, you would have more like 210 calories from a level tablespoon... Yes, I'm picky. But that was getting to me. ~laughs~

clackley 12-31-2012 06:53 AM

I am sure you meant 3 tsp. in one tablespoon.

LiterateGriffin 12-31-2012 07:56 AM

Yup. You're right. Didn't know I'd mis-typed until you said it. (Which is what I get for typing before I finish my CO-coffee! :D)

clackley 12-31-2012 11:43 AM

:shake: Sometimes I even don't know what day it is until I've finished my morning coffee!:laugh:

leaving30something 01-01-2013 07:35 PM

i have heard so much good about coconut oil! Maybe because you are adding rather than using instead?? I plan on using as my primary oil for health benefits.

Luca 01-02-2013 01:10 PM

I think you are right leaving 30-I have NO problems with keeping my calories up and I know the coconut oil just added to that....

LoriWants2Lose 01-03-2013 12:10 AM

It has a lot of calories, but for me it lessens my appetite so that I seem to eat less. Of course, I still have a lot to lose, so that could change. Maybe trying tracking calories for a few days?