Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   LC Online Order, Any Suggestions? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/792260-lc-online-order-any-suggestions.html)

jaime-lynn 12-28-2012 11:30 PM

LC Online Order, Any Suggestions?

I'm placing an order for some LC stuff that I can't get around here. Any suggestions for products that you use and love?

Vilya 12-29-2012 06:14 AM

-- DaVinci syrups
-- Powdered erythritol
-- Glucomannan
-- Oat fiber
-- Miracle Rice (if local stores don't have it)
-- Guy's sugar-free BBQ sauce (delish!)

lterry913 12-29-2012 08:31 AM

Davinci syrups
ez sweetz liquid sucralose (splenda with no carbs)
erythritol...use with ez sweetz for anything using chocolate or cocoa.

There are many other items but if you are on induction you may just want to keep it simple.

JMacB 12-29-2012 09:09 AM

I bought the best sugar free cherry preserves from netrition. They are La Nouba and I swear they taste amazing. I will stock up nxt time I order so I don't have to parcel them out like I am now. The cherry are so good I want to try other flavors, too.

jmc305 12-29-2012 09:12 AM

I don't know how clean of an eater you are, but I always end up ordering a lot of what most people on here would call "junk food."

Carbquik- makes great biscuits
Sugar free chocolate chips- for cookies and protein bars
Honeytree imitation honey- tastes just like the real thing, but it's maltitol based so watch out.
DEFINITELY get some EZ sweetz or liquid stevia for sweetening tea and lemonade even if you don't cook with it.
Low carb chocolate bars
Heinz low carb ketchup- made with splenda and tastes great IMHO.

Hope that helps! :)

Invictus 12-29-2012 09:45 AM

I like pretty much all of the Atkins Bars, especially those Hazelnut ones, I have to watch to not overdose on them - lol

The Russell Stover Sugar Free Candy available at Walmart etc.. is pretty good too, I like the Almond Delight and Marshmellow Fluff.

I just placed an order at Julian's Bakery for their Carb Zero Bread. Hm... it tastes like sponge. But I mean, what you expect for ZERO carbs. LOL

I tried toasting it and that just makes it worse. It's not bad if you have been doing atkins for a while and really really craving bread. I froze most of it as I just starting out again.

jaime-lynn 12-29-2012 09:49 AM

edamame

Thanks for all the great ideas! What's in my cart:

Davinci's syrup
coconut flour (excited about this, haven't tried it yet)
coconut manna
atkins peanut butter cups
atkins shakes
truvia
a couple different kinds of pumpkin seeds
sesame bites
sunflower bites
baja bobs margarita mix (going to an all inclusive soon and thought I'd bring these)

I checked out the sauces section but I usually make my own LC ketchup and bbq sauce, so I think I'll stick to that. The LC ketchup recipe from Linda's site is awsome!

jaime-lynn 12-29-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invictus (Post 16158438)
I just placed an order at Julian's Bakery for their Carb Zero Bread. Hm... it tastes like sponge. But I mean, what you expect for ZERO carbs. LOL

I thought about ordering some of the LC wraps I'm always hearing about but I think I'm better off steering clear of wheat flour. Bad things happen...

lterry913 12-29-2012 11:38 AM

I think the wraps would be better than the Atkins bars and shakes when you get to that level...the shakes and bars really stall some and are very calorie dense. I do not use many of them because of the stall issue, and I think they taste funny. I make most of my treats using the recipes i find here, including peanut butter cups. And as a side note I would be careful of any products made with soy in the top ingredients...imo they taste horrible.
good luck and enjoy shopping :)

Oh I forgot, coconut flour is very dense and dry so make sure you don't sub it 1 for 1 in recipes without adding extra eggs and liquid. There are lots of recipes on line that use it properly.

jaime-lynn 12-29-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16158673)
I think the wraps would be better than the Atkins bars and shakes when you get to that level...the shakes and bars really stall some and are very calorie dense. I do not use many of them because of the stall issue, and I think they taste funny. I make most of my treats using the recipes i find here, including peanut butter cups. And as a side note I would be careful of any products made with soy in the top ingredients...imo they taste horrible.
good luck and enjoy shopping :)

Oh I forgot, coconut flour is very dense and dry so make sure you don't sub it 1 for 1 in recipes without adding extra eggs and liquid. There are lots of recipes on line that use it properly.

Thanks for the tips:) The bars and shakes are not something I consume on a regular basis. I ordered them for a trip we're going on, to keep in my carry on as a just in case I can't find something suitable kind of thing.

I don't plan on doing much (if any) baking with the coconut flour, I mostly bought it for things like breading chicken strips and prawns.

jmc305 12-30-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaime-lynn (Post 16158443)
Thanks for all the great ideas! What's in my cart:

Davinci's syrup
coconut flour (excited about this, haven't tried it yet)
coconut manna
atkins peanut butter cups
atkins shakes
truvia
a couple different kinds of pumpkin seeds
sesame bites
sunflower bites
baja bobs margarita mix (going to an all inclusive soon and thought I'd bring these)

I checked out the sauces section but I usually make my own LC ketchup and bbq sauce, so I think I'll stick to that. The LC ketchup recipe from Linda's site is awsome!

I'm not too familiar with the items in your cart, but I do have a couple of tips for you.

Coconut flour- this is an EXTREMELY "thirsty" flour. It soaks up the liquid and results in very dry baked goods. So you will need to compensate by using a LOT of eggs. (Some cake recipes I've seen use up to a dozen eggs.):eek: If you have a batter or something that's too wet, throw a little coconut flour in it and it will dry it right up. It tastes fine, but I can't get past the dry texture. You can get books about how to cook with this ingredient on Amazon. "Cooking with Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife is what I have, although he still uses real sugar in his recipes. :confused:

Truvia- a mixture of erythritol and stevia if I'm not mistaken. It's sweet, but it tends to have a "cooling effect" so it's best mixed with another sweetener in recipes. The crystals can be hard, so depending on the recipe, you might have to powder it in a blender or magic bullet before using.

lisabinil 12-30-2012 05:01 PM

The Baja Bob's sf mixers are great-even sugar eating peeps of mine like these. The Atkins stuff, pumpkin seeds and Truvia you can get at your local Walmart. PB2 is good for cutting calories in recipes & protein shakes, Mama Lupe's are the best lc tortilla I have tasted, Ostrim jerky is really tasty, and the Lourann Oils are great for flavoring and many flavors too. The NuNaturals Stevia products are also the only true stevia products I can tolerate.

jmc305 12-31-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 16160821)
The Baja Bob's sf mixers are great-even sugar eating peeps of mine like these. The Atkins stuff, pumpkin seeds and Truvia you can get at your local Walmart. PB2 is good for cutting calories in recipes & protein shakes, Mama Lupe's are the best lc tortilla I have tasted, Ostrim jerky is really tasty, and the Lourann Oils are great for flavoring and many flavors too. The NuNaturals Stevia products are also the only true stevia products I can tolerate.

Well, her profile says "BC Canada" so maybe she can't get truvia, Atkins stuff, etc. locally. Do they have Wal Mart in Canada? Who knows.

About the stevia thing, what do you mean NuNaturals are the only stevia products you can tolerate? Do you mean taste-wise, or do they give you side effects? I'm trying to make the switch from Sucralose (EZ sweetz) to Stevia and I'm looking for a good brand. So I was just wondering. ;)

lisabinil 12-31-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc305 (Post 16161982)
Well, her profile says "BC Canada" so maybe she can't get truvia, Atkins stuff, etc. locally. Do they have Wal Mart in Canada? Who knows.

About the stevia thing, what do you mean NuNaturals are the only stevia products you can tolerate? Do you mean taste-wise, or do they give you side effects? I'm trying to make the switch from Sucralose (EZ sweetz) to Stevia and I'm looking for a good brand. So I was just wondering. ;)

I have tried about 15 different brands of Stevia-all are bitter to me-been doing this since 2000. NuNaturals is the best tasting so far. I stick with Spenda and Sweetzfree now.

lisabinil 12-31-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc305 (Post 16161982)

That's a good question-Does Canada have Walmarts or what is there version? I know Tim Horton's is there Starbux sub.

Avy 12-31-2012 02:51 PM

We have a Walmart on every street corner just like the states lol. I live in Nanaimo, BC, and I can find most of the low carb stuff people buy, locally. The only thing I don't see is the frankenfood breads/pastas/carbquick stuff. Otherwise, most things are easy to find, although it's taken some searching to find the stores that carry them.

readyfredy 01-02-2013 10:51 AM

I got the low carb tortillas (60 cals and 3 net carbs) they are great (mama lupe's). I keep them in the freezer for an occasional treat

jaime-lynn 01-11-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 16162006)
I know Tim Horton's is there Starbux sub.

This made me giggle, Starbucks is all over the place here, Tim Horton's is a cheaper coffee shop, not a sub for Starbucks :hyst:

Love&Luck 01-11-2013 11:16 AM

Lisa - totally agree with you about the stevia -- that brand is great.

A little FYI about low carb wrappers if anyone is interested - Target carrys one in their house brand (I think called Market Pantry). 6 net per wrapper and totally worth the extra 2, especially if you don't eat them very often. These are by far the best I've tried and they're a good size too - perfect for large tacos, enchiladas, smaller sandwich wraps.

Not to get too far off top, but the Flat Outs (from the grocery) are huge for I think about 7net and made a good pizza base or you can cut and bake for chips. I sometimes get the Joseph's pitas from netrition because they come and go at my Walmart. I don't eat any of this very often and can say they last pretty long in the fridge w/o freezing.