LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaline View Post
Ummm...any and everything! Bacon in the oven, splatters everywhere. Baking chicken in the oven splatters and leaves a lot of greasy liquid in the bottom of the dish. Frying a burger on the stove with a splatter screen still gets all over the stove. You have to lift the screen to out on cheese or to flip over...
I've been roasting a lot of veggies in the oven as well. I put them in a baggie to coat with EVOO and salt pepper and roast away. That leaves a mess on the cookie sheets. Even if I nuke a veggie, I put some butter on it, that leaves a greasy dish. On this WOE, I don't know what wouldn't be greasy!

On a more serious note, the lottery ticket was a loser, so I'll have this going on for a while...

I bake my chicken in a roasting pan with a lid on and only remove towards the end for browning. I don't fry anything. I like my fish poached or steamed. Naturally, my tuna is canned, I use a George Foreman when doing hamburger. I enjoy my eggs boiled, oh and i rarely use butter ( don't like the taste, never have),...so I guess I AM weird
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Salad Spinner
I'm with wastednuffime. What grease? lol maybe you need to stop using so much? Season, don't slather. A screen cover that fits properly on your fry pan of choice should do the trick for top of stove frying ~ maybe also you use a high heat? I notice that grease just spits everywhere when the heat is high. Cover your cookie sheets with tinfoil for easy clean up. If you think about it, almost all woe's would involve cooking with some sort of fat, hense the 'grease' factor would be involved with them as well.
Salad Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 228/199/160
WOE: LC
Start Date: October 2012
Dawn dish soap is a must along with really hot water (check your water heater setting). My pans never feel greasy after cleaning.
coffeeandcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I wonder if you aren't cooking over a *too high* heat level. Even on low carb, you aren't cooking any meats that everyone else doesn't also cook and eat in their diets, but I don't think most have grease coating their kitchens, etc. But cooking meats on heat that is pretty high can certainly cause a lot of spattering. We have meats at most meals, but I don't think I have a greasy kitchen at all. And I have a dishwasher, but we often wash by hand at the sink because there is just the two of us, but never thought the dishwater was 'greasy' and needed changing. I do use the plain old fashioned Dawn liquid dish soap. *Takes Grease Our of Your Way.*
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
The only things that are messy at my house are when I made wings and frying my turkey bacon. That's why I only make chicken wings on special occasions, and when I fix my turkey bacon, I make a whole bunch at once and then nuke a couple of pieces at a time when I'm ready to eat. I hate having to clean up the grease so I like to get it all done at once I always put aluminum foil over anything that I bake in the oven. No mess there.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Another thing too...

I am sure the OP did not intend this to come across this way , but...

The words Low carb and Fat and grease are not synonymous with each other....

You can eat this WOE and not be all greased out, nor cook with or ingest lots of fats and greasy foods...I'm just saying that's all...

Sadly too, there are many non LC-bers who assume, that all we eat are bacon and burgers, with a glob of mayo on the side

GOOD topic and glad the OP raised this concern

Ask~~~.Believe~~~Receive....

*Look* *Speak* *Act* ...in the direction you want to go, be or do...
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BSR3
Stats: 159/135/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May, 2012
My brother got me a clear bacon press for Christmas. It works great. The bacon cooks a little faster, I can see through it to know when it is time to turn it, and the grease doesn't get everywhere.
BSR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
*dreamy look* Mmm, grease.

Oh, wait. THE TASK AT HAND. FOCUS, CRISTIN!

I like to pan-fry pork steaks, but as of late, I just haven't felt like cleaning up the delicate showering of pork fat fallout that occurs when all is said and done. To circumvent this, I've turned to my dear friend the oven broiler! Lay the steaks on a broiling rack if you have one—or simply lay flat on a cookie sheet if you don't—and toss 'em under the ole' fiery blaze of the broiler. Cook the dickens out of them for a few minutes, flip, then cook the other dickens out of them.

Just make sure you don't put fatty things too close, otherwise you may discover fire. Sort of like a caveman. But in the bad way.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
I think this has morphed into more than what I intended...haha! On a high carb diet I wasn't used to cooking, or baking as much. I was making lower fat foods, or using more convenience foods, so clean up was a breeze...

Now that I'm cooking...clean up has changed. So has the smell of my house. Without that vent which is muchly needed, I smell what I cook forever! I'm not drowning in grease, it's just more than what I WAS used to...
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/143/sub-140 (stretch goal)
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: December 2007
Doing LC doesn't mean having to eat lots of greasy meats.

Typical menu for me:
Breakfast: MIM with peanut butter, coffee, and a little fruit.
Lunch: Egg salad on lettuce, tomato, cheese.
Dinner: Spaghetti squash topped with tomatoes, ground beef, cheese, onions, olives, etc. Fruit for dessert.

Snacks, if necessary, are nuts or a piece of fruit.

I'm only eating meat once per day and that helps with the greasy stuff. Yeah, I have more fruit in my diet that most people here (or anywhere else), but I don't go overboard. Besides, we didn't get fat in the first place by eating too much fruit!

Hope that helps.

P.S. I also drink several cups of hot water during the day. That really helps.

Last edited by ab1ht; 12-27-2012 at 12:45 PM..
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaline View Post
I think this has morphed into more than what I intended...haha! On a high carb diet I wasn't used to cooking, or baking as much. I was making lower fat foods, or using more convenience foods, so clean up was a breeze...

Now that I'm cooking...clean up has changed. So has the smell of my house. Without that vent which is muchly needed, I smell what I cook forever! I'm not drowning in grease, it's just more than what I WAS used to...
I hear ya'.

My MIL came to stay with us for a few weeks and she LOVES to cook (not low carb, which is a little problem for ME) and she takes over my kitchen and basically, I don't cook while she's here and I make do for food for myself while the rest of my family 'carbs it up.' But even cooking carby, she REALLY stinks up my kitchen! After she left we cleaned out the thing in the vent (because I saw a drip of actual grease hanging from it!!! ) She stinks up my house with her gravy stuff and just whatever she cooks -- it smokes up the house. I can cook steaks in my kitchen without making SMOKE in the house, but apparently she can't. (But she loves to cook, so we have to let her and say how GOOD it is. It's not bad. It's just different than what we eat and I think she thinks it's a big treat for all of us. It isn't.)

So, it's just different cooking than we are used to --- and I DO cook low carb all the time.

So I understand, all the cooking in and of itself is more than you are used to and you REALLY need to get a vent hood for that stove!

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 12-27-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Take a fancy cooking course and don't let her into your kitchen again!
DairyQueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Isn't there a version of LC called Stillman's that is very low fat as well? My suggestions are to buy very lean beef and cook it on a foreman grill. I can get 96% lean at my Wal Mart. Also boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins are not greasy. Skip the bacon, even turkey bacon because it's still pretty greasy. Use turkey sausage instead of pork. Use sirloin tip beef roasts instead of chuck, it's a LOT less fatty. Obviously skip pulled pork and ribs, they are pretty fatty no matter how they are cooked. Go easy on the butter and oil. Maybe you could use just a little bit of the non stick cooking spray instead of drenching vegetables in oil. Also, when you do end up with grease, paper towels are your friend. Blot, blot blot. Avoiding the grease can be done on this WOE. Before I switched to LC, I was low calorie and I did all the above things. I also don't have a gallbladder, so avoiding grease is sometimes helpful for my stomach.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I agree but we just eat a LOT of fish and chicken - which have much less grease.

I always make a LOT of food when I cook. I will do up 3 or 4 casseroles, lasagna, pizza, etc all in one day...that way the stove/walls clean up is only once and I have everything available with a quick nuke...

And cookware makes a difference - my cast iron pan & clay bakeware rinse clean quickly and easily!
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmPugs
Stats: 289/187/175
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: 10/15/2012
The only thing I find to be greasy is bacon, everything else doesn't really splatter. I have hard anodized pans and I usually use a large one to brown ground meats, chicken doesn't really splatter much, burgers maybe, but I cook them on medium flipping a couple times. For chickens and roasts in the oven you could invest in a nice covered roasting pan or use the crock pot?
EmPugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I'm another, "What grease?" person. I rarely make bacon and when I do I bake it. I sautee fish. I guess I don't really ever fry my food.
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/143/sub-140 (stretch goal)
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl6 View Post
... I rarely make bacon and when I do I bake it...
Same here. SO much easier!

I use two cookie sheets covered in foil. One with a rack (for my wife who tries to avoid the extra fat) and one without the rack (for me).
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jaime-lynn
Stats: 5'5" 151/146/132
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Oct 22/12
We use our outdoor grill all year long, I'm out there grilling in the snow sometimes:P I don't like a lot of clean up during the week so I usually throw something on the bbq and make a big salad, not much clean up at all.
jaime-lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #49
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree with the suggestion that cooking on high heats are what produces splattering. Even bacon should not splatter if cooked at the appropriate temp..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I know this thread is old, but I have a couple of tricks:

--Buy washing soda. This stuff cuts grease like NOBODY'S BUSINESS!!!
It's like there's some sort of chemical reaction and the grease is no longer sticky or slick;
every pan and surface wipes off really easily.
It's really cheap, also; maybe $3-4 for a pound or two. Find it in the laundry aisle next to the Borax.
I dissolve a cup or so in a quart of water and keep it in a plastic bottle (like a Snapple bottle). I save a dishwashing liquid bottle and fill it with the soda solution to squirt into greasy pans or onto the stove. For years I have been diluting my dishwashing soap (it lathers up easier); now I dilute it with the soda and not only does it make the soap more effective, for some reason it thickens it back up! Also, my sink drain hasn't gotten clogged since I started doing this.

--I cook greasy stuff like bacon & chicken thighs on my George Foreman grill between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Still gets crispy, doesn't spatter, doesn't smoke or burn as easily (I have an ancient electric stove and can't control the heat as much as I'd like to), and clean up is REALLY easy!

--I started using the lid of my bamboo steamer as a spatter shield and it is 4,000 times better than those mesh shields! It lets steam escape so food still gets crispy, but not the tiniest drop of oil escapes (unless you lift the lid).

(Not grease-related, but you know how broccoli and some other veggies can lose their vibrant color when you steam them with a metal lid? The bamboo steamer prevents that.)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-23-2013 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: forgot a word!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: determinator
Here's some tips:

Use foil between a rack and pan for EVERYTHING.
Broil your burgers, alonside the rack thing.
Put foil underneath your heating element in your stove, just make sure it's not on or hasn't been on, and yes, the element will lift right up and slide a piece of foil underneath it and discard weekly... I use this trick bc I love sweet potatoes and they tend to ooze when fully cooked...
Also, at walmart, they sell, it's like 4.96 in the small appliances section, a dish cover for the microwave... it beats using a papertowl and your microwave will stay cleaner longer.
Also, going back to the foil thing, if you have plug in electrical elements on a stove top, cover the round trap plates underneath with foil, and change them periodically.
If you want, invest in a George Forman, it's wonderful, but I seriously ADVISE that you get the more expensive one that has removable plates on it, cleaning the foreman properly without removable plates is cumbersome and lengthy.
determinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Oh yes, mine has removable plates! I've had it so long I forgot about those terrible ones that don't!

Mine has waffle plates and a pan with a rim as well as the grilling plate.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
I do bacon in the microwave. Two layers of paper towels underneath, one on top (don't forget that one! ). Bacon comes out as crisp as I want it and is nice and flat. The paper towels make cleanup a simple wipe and toss.

I also try to clean pans with grease in them immediately after eating so they don't have a chance to smell the place up. Finally, scented candles/waxes are always good.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote