Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Peanut butter is crack.

Yummy, yummy crack.

And I remember now why I don't eat it or low carb treats, in general.

Fortunately they're leaving my house tomorrow morning anyway, but next time I'm making the full sugar version so my brain doesn't tell me I can have some.

Arctic_Mama is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Something about all 3 macronutrients combined (plus salt) does seem to override our best laid plans. I remember buying a jar of Earth Balance coconut peanut butter and after the first spoonful I already knew it would be the first and last jar.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Mhmm, it's the combo. Even sunflower seed butter and roasted pecans I can eat in portion, but those nutty legumes do me in. I've been perfectly on plan since the middle of October in terms of food choices, and even this wasn't completely illegal for where I'm at, but it is unwise to eat and makes me crave more. So while I might someday be able to make sugar free buckeye balls and eat just one or two, I'm much happier avoiding peanut butter recipes and only feeding it to my kids.

I think I ate about 1/2 a cup of it with Erythritol in the course of making this recipe. But it's done, in the freezer, and out of my mind. Tomorrow is another day and I'll be right back on with my very next meal. I also didn't skip my workout after the baking snafu, despite being tired and somewhat stressed. I can do this, it tasted good but was NOT worth it!

Onward!

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
lol I don't mind a little PB. We use the fresh-ground stuff, and anything else tastes weird to me, now. (Even the "all natural" kind.) The carb-counts I've seen are around the same as the other nuts I use, so I haven't seen fit to banish it.

It's much easier for me to resist it, though, without BREAD. It makes itself kinda self-limiting.

I agree, though -- a sweet-treat with it would be hard to put down!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
peanut butter doesn't trigger me. unfortunately for you it does

I know tho, I have my demons I must stay away from.

And you are so right. It isn't worth it! a bit of food can't control our lives. we just can't let that happen.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DressageLover
Stats: 222/168/150, 5'10"
WOE: VLC, A72
Start Date: 1/29/99
Peanut butter is crack! I crave it nonstop and have stopped having any at all. The cravings are lessening - it's been a few weeks at least since I had a peanut cross my lips. It's amazing to me how easy eating LC is aside from the crazy peanut butter cravings. It's got to be some sort of food sensitivity or allergy. White knuckle cravings can't possibly be induced just because something "tastes good." A lot of things taste good - like the rich chocolate mint brownies I'm taking to a party tonight - but I don't really feel like having any. Peanut butter? An entirely different story. It's like a craving on a cellular level. Ack!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have portion control issues with peanuts and peanut butter. Neither are welcome in my home!!!

But honestly, peanuts are legumes and also have some big issues. To read those things just google Marks daily apple peanut butter.

Knowing that a food actually bad for me, makes it easier to restrict it although with all this talk of peanuts, I have images of p.b. cookies dancing in my head......
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

clackley I found out real fast any nuts aren't coming into the house in big bags

when I hit phase 1 with nuts....holy I went ape on them. absolutely additive for me.
so they are pushed way back into my food plan now.

when I eat out at a salad bar buffet I always add sunflower seeds but just a few. I can control that then. A big old bag of nuts in the house, 1 tablespoon on the salad, later that night I eat the rest of the bag LOL
Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am the same way with some nuts but raw almonds, pecans and roasted mac nuts are ok for some reason.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
I love a tablespoon of natural PB blended in with my protein shakes. But I limit PB only to days that I workout.
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

huh that is weird some nuts you don't go ape on and eat the whole bag.

now you got me wanting to experiment with different kinds. pistachios can not come near this home. devoured in a split second.

I am going to try a few kinds and see my reactions.

walnuts. I might not overeat those cause they have a 'twang' to them I like but can't overeat. Hmmm....maybe this can become a NUT HOUSE again
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I can generally control nuts and have servins of almonds, macadamias, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts, and brazil nuts with regularity. But as you say, peanuts are legumes which I generally avoid, hence why I substituted peanut butter with sunflower seed butter for my actual use. I still have it on hand for my family, and now it will stay "their" food product!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I could eat peanut butter right out of the jar
DH does, but he dumps cinnamon in with it and eats it out of the jar that way.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlowMovingWoman
WOE: Lower carbs, smarter carbs & watch how much I eat
Start Date: Have lost 19 pounds from my highest weight
I agree, it's addictive and a trigger food for me. I do not keep it in the house. Once
in a while I ask a friend, who understands my problems with food, to give me a small
amount. If she handed me the jar I could eat all of it. I used to be ashamed of my
inability to handle certain foods but now just accept it and deal with it accordingly.
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MandyDawn
Stats: 336/252/250 (mini goal)
WOE: Back on Atkins as of 6/14/13
Start Date: Originally, July 2011
Peanut butter was my crack too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageLover View Post
Peanut butter is crack! I crave it nonstop and have stopped having any at all. The cravings are lessening - it's been a few weeks at least since I had a peanut cross my lips. It's amazing to me how easy eating LC is aside from the crazy peanut butter cravings. It's got to be some sort of food sensitivity or allergy. White knuckle cravings can't possibly be induced just because something "tastes good." A lot of things taste good - like the rich chocolate mint brownies I'm taking to a party tonight - but I don't really feel like having any. Peanut butter? An entirely different story. It's like a craving on a cellular level. Ack!
I have the EXACT same problem with peanut butter! I don't understand it. I've always liked peanut butter, but I've never craved something like this. It didn't happen until I had been on a low carb diet for awhile. In fact, I had completely quit losing weight for months and I think a lot of it had to do with peanut butter. I decided to switch it up and try Weight Watchers for awhile (started October 15th) and after I switched I no longer craved peanut butter. I've had jars around and it doesn't tempt me a bit. It's so weird!

After I switched to Weight Watchers it was so easy at first and then all those cravings started coming back. I did start losing weight again, but I did terrible through the holidays and gained all the weight back that I had lost since starting Weight Watchers. I'm very seriously considering going back to Atkins because I was very successful with it at first, but I sure hope that peanut butter craving doesn't come back again. I'm going to give Weight Watchers another chance because it was my fault for falling off the wagon during the holidays, but if I don't start losing soon I'm going back to low carb.
MandyDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/143/sub-140 (stretch goal)
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: December 2007
So it would be wrong to share this little breakfast gem?

• 1/4 cup flax meal
• 1/2 cup boiling water
• 2 tablespoons peanut butter
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
Put the flax, cinnamon, and peanut butter into a bowl. Add the boiling water and stir. The
peanut butter will melt and it will all become easy to mix.

Bwahahahaha!
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote