Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I've never liked the words "cheating" or "being bad" regarding weight loss.....we just sometimes make poor choices!

But to answer your question....no poor choices here....not necessary as I feel great and have found fabulous substitutes for anything Inappropriate I might crave. I've lost 33 pounds since Sept. 1st and feel great!

Marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #32

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
as we have discussed before, you need to know whether you are an abstainer or a moderator. Google that along with Gretchen Rubin to read her description of the two personality types.

if you are an abstainer, you better just stick to your plan. that's what I do. it's the only thing that works and I know how dangerous it is to stop being vigilent.

if you are a moderator, you can probably plan to eat things that aren't strictly low carb occasionally with no great harm.

in addition to that distinction, obviously someone who weighs 300 lb is in a different boat than those with 20 lb to lose total. if you have a whacked metabolism, it can take weeks to lose what you gain in one indulgent meal. *sigh*
Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by clare_o View Post
Interesting question!

I’m 11 weeks in and about 7-10lbs from goal. I think in the beginning I probably did see it as something I would be strict with until I got where I wanted to be and then I’d ease up but realising how badly I craved sugary carbs for the first couple of (painful!) weeks made me see that actually, I don’t like how I feel when I’m at the mercy of sugar. Clare
You found your limits. That is wonderful because now you know your boundaries. I found mine also. Know theyself. 2 little words, so powerful actually.

Hubby, kiddo and I went shopping and ended up in front of a wall of chocolate for the holidays. OMG! All looked fab. I picked up tons of chocolate, fudge, peppermint bark, rapsberry filled chocolates and tons more and read the labels. I said NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. It was funny cause I looked at the candy as a challenge. find somethign I could have. I could not. walked away without a problem at all. hubby said get something. I said nope, nothing on plan. I have 76% chocolate squares at home, 2 carbs each. that is my treat. it is enough.

I know if I bought anything I would cave and go crazy.

I will never put myself back into that situation when so easily I can avoid it without any compromise or restriction or feeling of deprivation.

Why would someone do that to themselves? test themselves when it is sooooooooo hard to start back up and so easy to fall? I don't know but not me.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Me! I don't cheat, not a bite or lick. I don't plan it or even do it on a whim. Once a plan is comfortable for me, cheating isn't a problem. I really have only ever struggled with it when something wasn't fitting right. But between liking my plan and having plenty of flexibility each day, I'm cheat free.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Indulging is not bad but I have to say that my on plan food feels more like indulgence than off plan carbs do.....maybe that is just me....
Hope, not just you
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I honestly don't know the answer to this question because I haven't gone off plan at all since I started on July 1st. However, I've been on enough diets in my life to know that there is always a day where the temptation gets the best of me no matter how committed or successful I've been. I'll never say never. I'm just hopeful that if and when I fall off the wagon that I'll be able to get right back on.

I do know that I really like the fact that there are some "indulgences" on a low carb regime that scratch the usual itch, like cheese or dark chocolate or creme fraiche. I genuinely like the food I'm eating which is a huge thing. (In fact, many of these things are what I would have chosen in the past to "cheat" with.) I find myself wishing once in a while for something starchy, but I believe that when I get into maintenance I will be able to deal with that with some starchier veggies like butternut squash. (Maybe... we'll see.)

Like, I said, I've been to this rodeo too many times to make predictions about how I'm going to eat for the rest of my life. But I've never gone this long on any regime without "cheating" so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to deal with whatever comes down the pike.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
In the past 11 months, I've eaten off plan 4 times, and all were in social settings where I didn't get to pick the food and had to participate in the meal. I don't regret doing that, but I plan to only eat off-plan foods in future in situations like that, and to have as few situations as possible like that crop up. My good friends know what I do and don't eat and respect those limits, and where off-plan food is optional (like some of the choices in a buffet, or in "snacks" offered along with an activity), I skip it. And I really don't miss the off-plan foods; I eat much more delicious food now than I did when eating lots of carbs regularly.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: readyfredy
Stats: 179/177.1/125
WOE: 20-30 Net Carbs per day
Start Date: 7/22/14
I occasionally do. And always regret it.
readyfredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC
I dont cheat and I dont WANT to cheat
its only been 4 weeks BUT my stomach feels amazing and my DD has been questioning my woe ...she said she can see how good I feel and now wants to follow
So that makes me feel proud to be a role model

beside its like smoking (which I quit 5 years ago) if I have just one I will be back to smoking
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #40
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I think there's some confusion here among those of us who are eating in maintenance and those still working on weight loss.

"Low carb" isn't only Atkins, and I have had holiday meals that included a dessert [sugar!], and yet my total carbs for the day were only about 60g--which is low-carb by almost all definitions. I don't consider that a 'cheat,' and I don't appreciate anyone else deciding that my WOE involves 'cheating.' That's insulting.

The issue of grains has been brought to the forefront by the Paleo community as well as Dr. Davis's Wheat Belly, and while I don't eat any grains in general, I reserve the right to have a bagel if I want one on occasion, and it's not 'cheating.' It's a choice I've made on one particular day.

My WOE is not a religion, and food is not a moral issue. It's a matter of choices I make daily to preserve my health, which includes maintaining my weight. No one else can decide for me what are correct choices and what aren't.
Right - food is not a moral issue and should not be presented as such. The OP asked who cheats and who doesn`t. A question asked and answered many times on this forum and inevitably the definition of the word `cheat`becomes the contentious issue.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Wheat and sugar are not part of a low carb woe and eating them even occasionally are cheating s.
But, wheat is part of Atkins- Rung 9. Dr. Atkins said to determine your CCL and you can have foods on that rung if they fit in that in ongoing weight loss and maintenance. Low carbing isn't all about induction and he allowed a lot of foods back in so eating wheat is not cheating when you are in those phases.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 12-11-2012 at 11:47 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy-lou View Post
I dont cheat and I dont WANT to cheat
its only been 4 weeks BUT my stomach feels amazing and my DD has been questioning my woe ...she said she can see how good I feel and now wants to follow
So that makes me feel proud to be a role model

beside its like smoking (which I quit 5 years ago) if I have just one I will be back to smoking
Congratulations! You should feel proud. It's great that you are not only improving your health but also your daughter's, by being such a good role model. How nice that you can support each other in eating a healthy locarb way!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #43
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
But, wheat is part of Atkins- Rung 9. Dr. Atkins said to determine your CCL and you can have foods on that rung if they fit in that in ongoing weight loss and maintenance. Low carbing isn't all about induction and he allowed a lot of foods back in so eating wheat is not cheating when you are in those phases.
Anyone who questions this should read `Wheat Belly`. It is quite revealing!!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Anyone who questions this should read `Wheat Belly`. It is quite revealing!!
But, that doesn't change the fact that it's not cheating to eat wheat on Atkins in the later phases.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
But, that doesn't change the fact that it's not cheating to eat wheat on Atkins in the later phases.
Exactly.

It's one thing to swear off a food item due to personal preference/WOE choice or medical condition...and quite another to project that abstinence onto other people as a moral judgment.

And yes, that is exactly what it sounds like.
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #46
Chatty Cathy

Sorry but pastries and pizza sounds like cheating to me but as you have stated, they are part of your maintenance program. You should enjoy.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
and food is not a moral issue.
I agree, so if my comments sounded like I didn't then I'd like to apologize. Cheating (or indulging) versus not cheating is not a question of moral character, it's a question of method. That is all. I'm just excited to have finally found out what I need to do in order to succeed at low-carb. It's a method that works for me, and after failing at this so many times, that makes me super happy!

And my comment about learning not to feel deprived is also NOT a moral judgment on my part. It's a judgment about the highly addictive power of wheat and sugar.

Greta

Last edited by Gretalyn; 12-11-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sorry but pastries and pizza sounds like cheating to me but as you have stated, they are part of your maintenance program. You should enjoy.
Thanks and I do enjoy them. Nothing better than getting to maintain my weight while eating lc most of the time and some high carb foods sometimes. I think this is why Atkins had a Rung 9 and distinguished between hard core weight loss in Induction and later stages, he knew that eating high carb foods occasionally doesn't have to be a problem and one can maintain with them if they fit into their personal carb level.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 222/222/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 05/16/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
Count me in!

I've learned from bitter experience that when I cheat, whether spontaneous or planned well in advance, three things happen:
  1. I suffer intense cravings for the next few days, intense enough that my willpower simply isn't strong enough to fight them.
  2. My immune system gets compromised when I get knocked out of ketosis, so I find myself at my doctor's office needing antibiotics for yet another sinus infection.
  3. Three months and fifteen pounds later I realize I need to go back on low-carb, because I am sick of being sick all the time, I'm sick of the reactive hypoglycemia, and if I don't turn it around I'm going to need a whole new wardrobe.

NEVER AGAIN! I've been low-carb on-again and off-again for years. But I've been on 100% since March of 2011. Not one cheat day. And the result? No more sinus infections and antibiotics. No more reactive hypoglycemia. No more IBS. And my clothes fit! Why would I want to cheat? The only one who gets cheated when I cheat is ME! Cheated out of my health and happiness.

So I'm with ya, Trigger!
You are sooooooooo right and I am right in the middle of this right now. I fell off... the wagon ran over me and then backed over me again. I have gained back 8 of the 33 I had lost.... feel and look horrible and just finished my atibiotics for my sinus/ear infection. You would think I would learn... but not me... I am the ones that bought the donuts at work today. Slap me.... just slap me.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
I think The Diet Doctor page had something to say about Dreamfields and blood sugar spikes. I've just decided I don't need pasta of any type in my life - it doesn't taste of anything for a start, it's just a vehicle for sauces, and I find shredded lettuce works just as well

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's sworn off wheat products (including beer!) for life. It does sound a bit extreme, but it really doesn't feel that way. One pizza and 4 small slices of soda bread were the beginning of my regain - that was all it took to undo all my good work over the previous 3 and a half years (when I was maintaining) - and this is why I now know that I can't eat the spiky stuff at all.

The only foods I don't eat now that I will, hopefully, be able to accommodate when maintaining are legumes - lentils etc. that I enjoy cooked Indian-style. I don't get lentil cravings though! I've never had a sweet tooth, so I don't miss sugar in the slightest.
You're not the only one. Long before I discovered low carb for myself, I allergy tested against wheat/oats/yeasts and cut them out. They came back in after an elimination diet but I could tell I didn't feel as good on them, all cravings aside! Eliminating the wheat for life and limiting the oats the the rare occasion is fine by me. I don't really miss them.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
You are sooooooooo right and I am right in the middle of this right now. I fell off... the wagon ran over me and then backed over me again. I have gained back 8 of the 33 I had lost.... feel and look horrible and just finished my atibiotics for my sinus/ear infection. You would think I would learn... but not me... I am the ones that bought the donuts at work today. Slap me.... just slap me.
How about a hug instead of a slap? Restarting is so hard. But you can do it! You've got the know-how, and the motivation, now you just have to break the addiction. I find that the first four days or so are the hardest. After that it really does get so much easier.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Non cheater here too...I know that I could go off for a one free meal day but I don't do that now....and no way for the holidays...I have planned my LC menu right along with my regular meals for my family...I will be baking LC desserts I can have while everyone is enjoying them all day long...and keeping lots of nuts and deviled eggs just in case...I would rather over do it with a little extra no flour/no sugar pound cake then lots of regular cookies and pies...I might not lose but I will NOT gain....

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
What keeps me on plan these days is that I am newly dating. Lol -- vanity for sure. But I am not usually super strict with my diet. I have a modest goal of 4 pounds per month and I have kept to that for the last 5 months. I did low carb back in 2003 and was very successful and kept the weight off for quite a few years. Then carb creep started and I slowly gained everything back.

The way I prevent that now is by accountability. For instance, I ate sushi (with the rice) this weekend (I had reached my November goal and was feeling good), but I had to get on the scale the next day and see the damage. That keeps me on my toes.

So today was my department's holiday party with a table full of desserts and different kinds of potato salads, pastas, sandwiches, etc. I filled my plate with the inside of a sandwich (plenty of extra mayo and mustard), chicken wings, meatballs, deviled eggs, broccoli salad, and cheese. The only thing that was probably off-plan were the 3 small spinach balls I had (pretty sure they were held together by bread crumbs or some such). Now in the past, I would have probably indulged at the party, but now I know I have to face the consequences in the morning, so I'm more careful. For dinner, I'll have bacon/cheddar meatloaf and a big salad and call it a day. I don't make it hard; I just make sure my eyes are open.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 266/266/168, 5'9", 27
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 19th May 2015
Quote:
I don't consider that a 'cheat,' and I don't appreciate anyone else deciding that my WOE involves 'cheating.' That's insulting.

No one else can decide for me what are correct choices and what aren't.
Agreed. I am all for a discussion on this subject and was going to put my two cents in but having read this thread, I have found some posts a little judgemental. What I will say is, I remember last time I did Atkins I got to about 170 pounds and felt really, really good. I used to say I would never 'cheat' but that was a few years and many pounds ago and I will never say it again!! For me if I see it as 'cheating' then I have blown it and I carry on blowing it. I am trying to step away from being an all or nothing person and I am making this work for me, for life. And that means that every now and again I will allow myself a meal (not a whole day) which is not strictly on plan. My body, my journey, my choice. And I have plenty of respect for those who never 'cheat' too.
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clare_o
Stats: 159/131/130, 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat/Mod Protein
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Hope, not just you
Me too! Having cream in my coffee every morning still feels like a wonderful indulgence to me, I love it

Clare
clare_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
well there is that fine line. everyone has to find it for themselves. but if you know you are a carby person, know that you will fall off the wagon and have it back over you as another stated, then you only cheat yourself with poor food choices literally.

we all know high carbs are dangerous. backsliding can come very fast. If you tempt fate for the meal then you do it at your own risk. But of course those backslides are a learning experience if you are newer on plan. People do learn from mistakes hopefully

Maybe those who feel they want to eat high carby foods are not coming to terms with elminiating those food groups? Can't truly phathom a life without higher carbs and sugars and holidays and such give them that excuse to eat them? Waking up one day and deciding to eliminate most carbs/sugar is a big step.

I have no problem giving up food groups because I must. For me it is simply a matter of eating higher carbs/real sugar is going to take me down hook line and sinker.

Anyone who loves cigs and quits smoking, they know. Anyone who is a true carb addict, they know. Anyone who is a drinker and does AA or something, they know. One time cig, one meal, one drink can make you lose your entire accomplishment.

So if you know, why tempt fate? I never will. The longer I go without junky carbs the more I adhere to the idea if you do low carb because the carbs are super addictive, then do it.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/178/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
I've been really dedicated this time around. This morning I stepped on the scale and I've lost 20 lbs since October 1st. I did eat some carby stuff on Thanksgiving and I had a beer and a handful of popcorn the other day, but other than that, I've been motivated to stick to plan. I admit I salivate over french fries and toast, and keep eyeing the platters of nasty Costco cookies at work, but I've been able to resist so far.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by clare_o View Post
Me too! Having cream in my coffee every morning still feels like a wonderful indulgence to me, I love it

Clare
Me three LOL - Nothing says indulgence to me like a big thick beautiful ribeye fresh off the charcoal grill!!!!

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I don't call it a cheat...I call it an occasional indulgence. My favorite food ever is a baked potato. I haven't had one since August 1st until last night. I went to my staff Christmas party knowing that I would indulge...planning for it. I ate a small amount out of the middle of the potato and enjoyed every bite of it. I also had a very small piece of coconut cake. Today I'm right back on the LC wagon.
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I have learned for me that I never say "Never." The Universe has a way of biting me in in the azz when I do. I do the best that I can from day to day.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote