Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: srbtennispro
adding carbs back into diet, what to expect?

Ok, so I have been very hard core low carb for close to 3 years. I was never overweight, but doing low carb enabled me to get very lean. I am a tennis pro, get good exercise daily. I have a fair amount of muscle so at 5'9" and 145 lb, I am about as thin as I can get and I want to stay at this weight.( I lost about 25 lbs) However, in the past few years I have not had rice, regular bread, potatoes, etc. at all. I'm quite OCD about it. I feel though, that adding some 'healthy carbs' such as sweet potatoes, lentils, some fruits, (perhaps even an occasional 'cheat' i.e. cheese sticks etc) would be a really good thing as far as health is concerned. I am just so paranoid to do it, I'm so afraid that the lbs. I lost will start creeping back on.

I'm sure this subject has been addressed numerous times, but anyone with experience, advice, I would appreciate.
srbtennispro is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
A couple of suggestions:

1) Try working your way up the Atkins carb ladder, adding just 5 grams of carbs/week, and see how you feel and whether your weight stays stable. That's what I would do, in your position.
2) Alternatively, try gradually adding carbs that are allowed on a strict paleo diet, such as sweet potato/yam, beets, higher glycemic fruits, etc.

I would personally stay away from wheat and other grains, corn, and sugars.

Both Atkins and Paleo/primal have lots of adherents whom you can talk to online, so I either of those approaches will give you a support group to talk to as you make changes. But the key thing will be paying attention to what works for you, and for that you need to experiment. Good luck.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I agree that following the Atkins OWL ladder in both carb type and amount is your best bet to see how your body responds. It can vary wildly, but with your activity level you may be able to add back a fair amount of carbohydrates over time. Best to go in five gram increments per week, as your fastest ramp up. Then, if it causes cravings or excess body fat accumulation you can quickly detect what might be causing the issue.

I also agree with Svenska that grains like corn/wheat and refined sugar never need adding back in. But the occasional sweet potato or apple is likely not going to be an issue for you, provided you acclimate gradually and control quantities eaten. Nothing about your situation indicates metabolic resistance or insulin issues, so that OWL should be a pleasure for you and makes it very easy for those of us with OCD tendencies to both carefully control and gradually liberate our choices, all at once

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

uggh, i am just a slave to the scale; everyone tells me i'm too thin, but i'm not one of those naturally skinny, eat whatever you want people, so i have just been totally tunnel vision for so long that it's hard to change; but i think i'm depriving myself of some nutrients i might need, not to mention feeling pretty hungry often times.... choices
Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dezi
Stats: 5 foot 11 inches 142lbs BMI 19.9/Goal BMI was 20.6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 1 2012
I would climb the Atkins rungs and see how you feel. You probably won't gain and maybe the added fiber will help your huger.
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
I'm like you, and the last time i got really thin (and i loved being that thin, btw, and i was healthy too) the scale only started moving up when i started adding LC carby products like wasa crackers and low carb bread and tortillas. I never added much of anything else but ate enough of those things to make me start gaining a lot of weight!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you are in ketosis and you go out of ketosis, of course you will regain the water weight your body stores in your liver and muscles along with the glycogen reserves. this is the "Atkin's loan" and you always knew that, right? it's not a "real" gain, of course, but it still makes you a bit bigger and heavier.

other than that, you can control how much you add and watch it. don't go for a whole plate of sweet potatoes... count the carbs and eat it and see. maybe every other day for awhile? you can cut back any time--you know how and have the discipline. don't be afraid.

good luck.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: readyfredy
Stats: 179/177.1/125
WOE: 20-30 Net Carbs per day
Start Date: 7/22/14
Ok, this is not the advice that you asked for so if it is not helpful, please disregard.

To me, it sounds like you might have slightly disordered eating habits or self perception. at 5'9, 145 lbs, you are on the low end of normal weight. Your strictness and fear is reminiscent to me of what I feel when I am in a disordered eating pattern.

I mainly mention this so you can be aware of it, if you are not.

My recommendation is to go slowly and realize that your weight may fluctuate a small amount and this is ok.

Go up the atkins owl ladder and see how you do. If you find yourself panicking or feeling anxious/scared, please come talk to us.
Goal 4 10/31/14 139 (almost there!)
Goal 5: 11/30/14 130 (GOAL!)
readyfredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Hey, thanks for all the great advice; it's something I'm giving consideration to, it's just hard to know you got to somewhere doing things a certain way and then back tracking. Honestly, I am very much a novice about the true Atkins approach to things, I just took the basic concept and rolled with it.