Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SiaMia
Sugar Alcohols???

In front of me, I have a bag on Sugar FRee Russell Stover Chocolate Covered Coconut Candies.

28 g Carbs
2 g Dietary Fiber
26 g Sugar Alcohol

What should I make of this? Can I eat a couple ? I am eating under 20 carbs a day
SiaMia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elrangel
Stats: 236/176/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 06/14
Sugar Alcohols are dangerous. If you eat too much you will end up with a very bad tummy ache leading to a lot of time on the toilet. They also tend to slow most people down when it comes to losing weight. I know in the past I start off with one or two and before I know it the whole bag is gone. It is best to avoid them if possible. Try sugar free Jello with homemade whipped cream using splenda. I saw someone else post that they mixed peanut butter with whipped cream and it was like peanut butter pie. YUM!!! Good Luck.
elrangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A'smommy
Stats: 144/129/120 5'5
WOE: My way, Lower carb, Low Calorie
Start Date: April 8th, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrangel View Post
Sugar Alcohols are dangerous. If you eat too much you will end up with a very bad tummy ache leading to a lot of time on the toilet. They also tend to slow most people down when it comes to losing weight. I know in the past I start off with one or two and before I know it the whole bag is gone. It is best to avoid them if possible. Try sugar free Jello with homemade whipped cream using splenda. I saw someone else post that they mixed peanut butter with whipped cream and it was like peanut butter pie. YUM!!! Good Luck.
I agree! Be VERY careful when eating sugar free candies.. even just a couple can send you straight to the bathroom. They are very tasty, but if you cant see yourself stopping at just one.. then I wouldnt even tempt yourself. Its not worth it and leads to tummy troubles
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
As you can tell from that label, 'sugar free' doesn't mean low carb.

How many candies are there for those 28g of carbs?

This is just my opinion based on my own weight loss experience--it's best to wean yourself from the type of eating (candy, desserts--low carb or not) and focus on getting optimum nutrition from what you eat.

You will be eating less as you lose weight, and it's important to insure that you are nourishing your body.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Check the ingredients, the individual types of sugar alcohol vary a lot. Maltitol in particular is no different from straight sugar for some people, it's definitely not a "freebie". The lowest impact one is probably erythritol but it's more expensive so you won't see it in most commercial candies.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender
Stats: 155 lbs/125 lbs/125 lbs (5'8") Age: 46
WOE: Very Low Carb (30-40 net carb grams/day)
Start Date: March 2011
Erythritol is the only one I ever use, since I low-carb for blood sugar management and have seen spikes after eating foods containing other sugar alcohols. It's also less likely to cause unpleasant GI symptoms in most people and tastes very much like sugar.

Franziska
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sugar alcohols are not 'freebies'. They are often grouped in with artificial sugars but they are really a class of their own and should not be confused as they have quite a different effect. In a word - 'caution'!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
This is just my opinion based on my own weight loss experience--it's best to wean yourself from the type of eating (candy, desserts--low carb or not) and focus on getting optimum nutrition from what you eat.

You will be eating less as you lose weight, and it's important to insure that you are nourishing your body.
I agree. A lot of lc foods are totally devoid of nutrition and should be termed non-foods and sugar alcohol candies are one of those.

Be careful with eating them- search back for old posts and you can see the misery that people were in when they ate more than one or two.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

So, If I were to eat a serving of these, How many carbs would I count?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Depends on your body and the type of sugar alcohol. If it was maltitol, I'd count at least half those sugar alcohols as actual carbs. If it was liquid sucralose, erythritol, or stevia, none of those affect me personally and I'd count them as a net zero. But they're junk food, regardless, so eat a serving and count however you'd like, but use them sparingly and be aware they can cause tummy trouble, cravings, and outright scale stalls.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
for me they are just like real sugar, as far as blood sugar goes. not to mention causing diarrhea. but some people can get away with them. if you counted all the carbs and not netting out the sugar alcohols you would probably be ok.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. I will eat them sparingly