LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Airport food - suggestions?

I've been doing a lot of travelling backwards and forwards between Ireland and the UK recently, and consequently, I've been through Gatwick airport several times. It is very difficult to find any low carb foods in any of the airside shops - chains like W.H. Smith and Boots offer takeaway sandwiches, wraps, sushi, Weight Watchers pasta salads, fruit salads - but nothing I can eat on plan.

There's a MacDonald's, from which I suppose I could have got a bunless burger, but I didn't want a hot meal, I wanted something I could take on the plane with me.

The only thing I found yesterday in Smith's was a bag of Biltong, which was OK, but not really very satisfying. So - I'm going to write to Smiths and Boots and ask if they'd consider selling a few low carb foods, like Babybels, or maybe a plain ham and egg salad in a box - but thought I'd ask you lot for other ideas.

There are so many people trying to eat fewer carbs nowadays that I'm certain there would be a demand for a few low carb options on the sandwich shelves. Can you get anything low carb in US airports, or airports in other places in the world? Knock airport (in the west of Ireland) is just as bad, but it's tiny, so I'm not surprised by that!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My experience with airports in the U.S. is that it's hit or miss--sometimes you can find something low carb, but you can't count on it.

How long is your flight? When I fly domestic (3-5 hours), I just take a small bag of nuts with me (1 oz measured). That's always sufficient, and often on the 3-hour flights I don't even eat them because I have no need to snack.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
My flight's only an hour and a bit, but then there's the 2 hours hanging about in the airport before that, and another hour at the 'home' end before we're near a food shop - so I usually have time for breakfast before travelling, but the airport time happens around what would usually be dinner time. I *could* take food with me, and sometimes do - but I still think it would be nice to have the same facilities as other travelers, ie, some snack food available in the airport. It's not so much about my personal circumstance, it's about making a low carb choice or two available to all passing through the airport - some of whom will have much longer flights than mine!
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I try not to eat at airports, except for a few places that have real sit down restaurants that are more upscale(by airport standards) and not fast food or chain places. heathrow has some pretty good restaurants to eat at. I usually eat beforehand and then right after and it's not a big deal because I usually only eat twice a day so it works out fine. Like Leo I think nuts are one of the best plane foods you can have if you must eat something. I do make sure to drink plenty of water before, during, and after, esp if I drink something alcoholic at the airport or on the plane.

I loathe the fact that airlines no longer do meals in the US and instead people buy whole meals at the airport and take them on board, so then I can spend 5 hours smelling someone's whole pizza loaded with onions and garlic bread or some kind of exotic thai food. ugh, recycled air, people. I think it's easier to eat at a restaurant at the airport than find stuff to bring onboard, unless it's a big salad or the insides of a sandwich.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wkupharm
Stats: 329/170/160
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 07/2004
I usually hit up the newstands. They usually have larger bags of nuts, (ie: pistachios, macadamias, etc.), trail mixes, power bars, etc. The last two airports I have flown out of, I've eaten before flights or layovers at (Outback, Burger King, and taco place for a salad.) Granted I typically connect most of my flights out of ATL, which is a fairly good sized airport.
wkupharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I was out very late one night a few months back, and was starving...I stopped by a grocery store, grabbed a turkey/cheese sub sandwich, and just at the meat and cheese. It was very satisfying. Depending on your Phase, you could have nuts/fruit as alternative options.

Maybe not the most creative ideas, but they'd work.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
Start Date: April 10,2012
I hate to suggest the Atkins bars or shakes but they've bailed me out of a bunch of tight spots before. You would want to check if they work for you - some people are known to stall or get cravings from them. I only eat the chocolate peanut butter meal replacement ones that have 19 g of protein - a bit less candy bar-ish.
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Darkginger-
If it's the long wait at the airport that's the issue, you might want to check the airport's website. Most airports have detailed websites, and you can find out what restaurants or food kiosks will be convenient for you--and that may give you an idea of what food is available. It may also be possible to contact those food services to ask about menu items.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
do the UK airport McDonald's have the entree salads available? That's our go-to food at US airports...virtually every airport we have traveled through has some fast-food place selling entree salads like Chicken Caesar salad. They can be eaten in the airport if you have a long wait, or can be taken on the plane if it's a longer flight.

In my purse, I also take bag of nuts (like macadamias) and a couple of squares of Lindt 90% dark chocolate for "emergency" food if the munchies hit. Lots of bottled water too.
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I would ask them to prepare salads, which even people who aren't low carbing will enjoy. I was traveling recently and managed to find chef salads, cobb salads and chicken/tuna salads at various kiosks in the various airports and they were all fine. (They were insanely expensive, however ...)
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Darkginger-
If it's the long wait at the airport that's the issue, you might want to check the airport's website. Most airports have detailed websites, and you can find out what restaurants or food kiosks will be convenient for you--and that may give you an idea of what food is available. It may also be possible to contact those food services to ask about menu items.
Try to look thoroughly at all the possible restaurants in the airport, because occasionally you hit on a good lowcarb-friendly one. There's a steakhouse in the Denver airport that does a great salad with steak and blue cheese, for example, and an oyster/fresh seafood bar in the Providence airport for example. Barring a good option like that, be prepared to pick up a boxed salad (not particularly healthy, since probably made with iceberg lettuce only) or order a salad at a sit-down restaurant, or get a burger without the bun at a McDonalds-style fast food restaurant or some sushi (and leave the rice) at a sushi restaurant. I've noticed in some big European airports (like the one in Amsterdam) that there are gourmet food shops selling cheese and sausage, which would work also as take-out food. If I just want a place to sit down for a while, I have coffee with half and half in any available coffeeshop. I always travel with some nuts, a couple of individual cheese servings (like Bonabel), and an Atkins bar in handbag, so I'm prepared in case I can find nothing that fits my plan.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Airports means 5 guys to me!
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i would eat a big meal before going to the airport.

or bring food from home (perhaps with a doctor's note to smooth things over with security, and customs (who check for forbidden food on int'l flights). Dr Atkins even said that in difficult times, you make the best choices possible. One episode will not throw off your plan. if you fly regularly, the the aforementioned strategies should work.Oh, bon voyage! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I don't go anywhere without a small bag of nuts and an Atkins bar in my purse. Talk to the shops at the airport about it. Maybe you could talk them into carrying nuts, a few cheese sticks, etc. It's worth a try. The sushi might not be too bad, depending on how it is prepared. You could get a salad from McD's, but watch the dressings.

I also sometimes carry beef sticks. If I'm starving, they can stave off the hunger. I can't tell you how many times having some items in my purse has saved me.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Hi,

I agree the UK/Ireland is not the best place for low carb. Everything seems to have bread or sugar!

Once when I was in a train station (in the UK) I was pleasantly surprised to find that WH Smith was selling small bags of the 'Dr Food roasted bean mix'...I know it is not exactly low carb but it is much lower carb than most other things.

Also I like the single serving packages of Tyrell's vegetable crisps, which are also not exactly low carb but are much lower carb than potato-based crisps. (These things work for me since I can't eat regular dairy or most nuts) Sometimes I have found them in some of the upscale coffee shops.

I absolutely adored the Dormen's Indian Korma lentil crisps (they were made with lentils and potatoes). Again, not truly low carb, but they seemed much more substantial than potato crisps. I used to find them sporadically. Now I don't find them anywhere! (I was seriously thinking of looking on ebay...)

If you are ok with artificial sweeteners, Boots often sells sugar-free chocolate in their diabetic area.

I think my happiest LC airport experience was on a trip to the US and right across the gate there was a store that sold gourmet sugar free chocolates... needless to say, they were very expensive. But good!

Last edited by Avicenna; 12-07-2012 at 05:17 AM..
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: browneyedgirl
Stats: 210/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: July 2004
I always have a bag of beef jerky and almonds in my backpack when I'm traveling by air.
browneyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #17
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
It's been a few years since I have flown in and out of Gatwick (since Continental - now United moved to Heathrow), but there was always a Pret a Manger in the terminal I used. They have a great selection of fresh salads to choose from.

Was just in Dublin airport and had a heck of time finding anything I could eat for breakfast. Ending up eating the guts of an egg mcmuffin. Ugh.

But like many others said, I do carry nuts with me. Almonds usually. I'm in airports for business just about every 2 weeks or so. Some airports have lots of options, others just are terrible. It can be very hit or miss. Love the build your own salad place in Terminal D of PHL, Greenleaf's.

2014 Running Miles: 255
2014 Walking Miles: 273
2014 Biking Miles: 412
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I hate to suggest the Atkins bars or shakes but they've bailed me out of a bunch of tight spots before.
I agree. I tolerate these very well, and they taste pretty darn good. So in a pinch that might help.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I fly a lot, and I try to bring baggies of nuts and chunks of cheese. Many airports have restaurants with good salads, so I eat a lot of chicken cesar salad (romaine lettuce has more nutrients than iceberg). Here in Scandinavia, there's often a restaurant where the airport workers eat, and that usually has a plate of hot salmon, veggies, and a side salad.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
Start Date: January2012
Potted meat (tinned meat or the like), summer sausages and pork rinds are filling and convinent.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
I used to travel a lot (like 44 weeks out of the year).

A couple of suggestions:

- I like Quest bars instead of Atkins (purchased from Netrition). I almost always have one tucked away somewhere ... just in case!
- If I was leaving from home for a longer plane ride, I would make ham/cheese rollups (ham/cheese/cream cheese around a dill pickle). Make them the night before and refrigerate them. When you leave in the AM, you can tuck them anywhere. They stay good for many hours. Same is true for hard boiled eggs.
- Tuna packets (tuna in bags with limited liquid)
- If a restaurant/deli carries tuna, chicken or ham salad sandwiches, ask them to put a scoop or two into a container by itself. They are usually VERY generous in the "scoops", and you get lots more for your money.
- Beef jerky. I don't really care for this, but dh thought I was a saint on one delayed vacation flight when I reached in my carry on and pulled out a bag. He was starving! It's also crazy expensive.
- Go hungry. Really ... a little limited fasting can be good for the soul.

One other tip ... always carry a plastic fork and knife with you. Comes in very handy if you're trying to extract the inside of a wrap or sandwich.

hth!
Fran
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote