Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
I tried the Beef Merlot and thought it was great tasting. It's not enough food for me so I'm going to cook some Dreamfield's and freeze into servings in baggies. I'll let the Dreamfield's thaw and then stir it into the hot food to warm it. It's worth a try.
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #242
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to pop in here and let Meijer shoppers know that I saw these entrees for the first time at my local one today. I don't do lc anymore so I didn't look real close at them, but it looked like they had a lot of different choices! They were on an end cap and I think they were even on sale
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
They are at our Meijer..but, um..for more than they are at Walmart. They were in an end cap freezer for 4.29.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #244
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: will75
Stats: 223/211/160 5'7 33yold male
Start Date: August 11th 2008
Atkins website says these are available here in Tampa at a few wally worlds... Well i checked, they're not :/ Anyone in tampa know of a grocery store that has these?
will75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #245
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: will75
Stats: 223/211/160 5'7 33yold male
Start Date: August 11th 2008
FYI,, i wouldn't bother with chili... just order Homestyle Fresh Chili this is best low carb chili you can buy.
will75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I tried the meatloaf dinner today and thought it was okay (but meatloaf is never my favorite). It is definitely something I have been waiting for. I am weird in that I don't like to eat leftovers that contain meat for the most part. Therefore, trying to eat lunch at work has been one of my major downfalls. Today is day 2 of my reinduction and while I was STARVING by the time I got home, I will definitely be trying the others as well.

Oddly, I haven't been able to find the chili meal either and that is the one that I really wanted!
I had the meatloaf today for lunch and it was Okay, but not great, I'll probably not buy that one again.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Colin Dunn
Stats: 216/194/145
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Start Date: 05/27/2013
Bummer, I looked on the Atkins Web site and walmart is the only place local to me carrying the Atkins meals.

The grocery chains in Colorado are pretty lame.
Colin Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Well Walmart has a little better selection today.... although no chili or Beef Stew.... or Meatloaf. There was a slot for the Beef Stew and Meatloaf but they were not there. Got the Chick. Pot Pie, Chick. Alfredo, Beef Merlot, sausage Primo., and two of the different breakfast ones.
I realize these are not the "best" way to go.... I am one who buys grass fed beef and organic produce.... BUT..... I cant tell you how many times lunch has become a big problem...... I GET SO TIRED OF SALAD and I do not always have leftovers or any thing ready and it becomes way to easy to say.... the h-ll with it and get something way worse than one of these frozen dinners would be. I know.... cook on the weekends... be prepared.... well weekends are not always (usually not) an at home event and these frozen entrees will help me "BE PREPARED" more than I have been.

Last edited by sweetpoison; 01-04-2013 at 11:00 AM..
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #249
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I got my coupon from Atkins Nut, but it's not the dollar off for the frozen meals, they sent me a coupon for any free Atkins product up to $5.99. Wow! They don't kid around.

Even one free frozen meal is more than the $2 of coupons that the store rejected. Pleased!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
$3.48 at Lake City Fl walmart for those in the NF area!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
If you go to walmart.com, and search "atkins" you'll find a meal somewhere in there. Click on it, then it will tell you if it is in stock in your local store. If not, click on "find in another store" and you might find one closeby.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Just had the Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo and it was Big chunks of chicken breast and plenty of broccoli and sauce. Wish I woulda tasted it before i salted it, because it was plenty seasoned.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #253
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: babyphat2012
Stats: 248/234/175
WOE: My Own
Start Date: Restart 10/7/2012
Curious

Hello Everyone...

I've been lurking on this thread for a few days and thought I would post

Wanted to know for those of you who have been using the dinners for awhile...have you noticed any changes in cravings, hunger, stalls, etc.??? I was very excited to see these in stores. Not to be used on a regular basis, but.... "In Case Of Emergency Break Glass"...occasions. I love cooking, and love the variety that comes from low carbing...just curious to see how you all have been doing using these every now and then.
babyphat2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I can't believe I live in the Dallas area and have not been able to find these yet. Anyone in this area have any luck?
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabethin57
WOE: low carb my way
I had the turkey and green beans and it was very tasty. I got a few other entrees, haven't tried, at my neighborhood Walmart in Plano.
wannabethin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #256
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: babyphat2012
Stats: 248/234/175
WOE: My Own
Start Date: Restart 10/7/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I can't believe I live in the Dallas area and have not been able to find these yet. Anyone in this area have any luck?
Have you tried the store locator on the Atkins site? I live in the area and found them less than 1 mile from my house. The only stores that carry them are Wal-mart .

Last edited by babyphat2012; 01-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: spelling
babyphat2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A'smommy
Stats: 144/129/120 5'5
WOE: My way, Lower carb, Low Calorie
Start Date: April 8th, 2014
Quote:
Vilya I too live in the Dallas area and have seen them in two different walmarts. In one of the walmarts they were with the other frozen food, but in the other they were almost hidden. They were on the other side of the isle where Id thought they would be at the very end. Almost didnt seem them! I think you can go online and figure out what stores they are sold in.
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #258
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dangerkitteey
Stats: This time 216 (all time high 235)/172/140
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 12/26/13 for my third go-round
Finally found them at Walmart in Las Vegas. They carried all varieties except for the chili con carne (boo! I love me some chili). I picked up one of each, except for the breakfasts, which I don't see myself buying. Can't wait to try them!
dangerkitteey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Got 4 more when I went to Wallymart yesterday, they had them in an endcap freezer and had a pretty nice selection. Will still only use them if I REALLY can't deal with cooking.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wannabethin57
WOE: low carb my way
I am eating the sausage with veggies as we speak. Yum!
wannabethin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Thanks guys! I did check both the Atkins site and Walmart's site. Atkins says that my Walmart has them (they don't, as far as I can see), and Walmart's site says "availability unknown." So I guess I will just have to check periodically. I'm sure they will get them eventually.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Quote:
Thanks guys! I did check both the Atkins site and Walmart's site. Atkins says that my Walmart has them (they don't, as far as I can see), and Walmart's site says "availability unknown." So I guess I will just have to check periodically. I'm sure they will get them eventually.
Call your walmart.... that is what I did. I asked them if they were carrying them and they told me yes and exactly where to look for them.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: omgtwins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
I have to ask if anyone is even a little concerned.
Since the passing of Dr Atkins, the company has gone more comercial (bars and such) than Dr Atkins ever allowed.

Since Dr Atkins was against processed food I have to wonder if he would endorse these?
I'll admit I am going to get some (saw the comercial AFTER we returned from WM - dagnabit), but I have to think these should be taken in moderation.
At least watch what happens when you have ONE - do you stall? Gain weight? Get cravings?
These are quesrions I'll keep in mind when I eat one - or two
omgtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

The chicken and broccoli alfredo was very good, you could tell it had chicken breast and plenty of broccoli. I seriously dont think it would cause any stalls. It keep me full and I seriously licked the sauce out of the bowl when I was done it was delicious!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgtwins View Post
I have to ask if anyone is even a little concerned.
Since the passing of Dr Atkins, the company has gone more comercial (bars and such) than Dr Atkins ever allowed.

Since Dr Atkins was against processed food I have to wonder if he would endorse these?
I'll admit I am going to get some (saw the comercial AFTER we returned from WM - dagnabit), but I have to think these should be taken in moderation.
At least watch what happens when you have ONE - do you stall? Gain weight? Get cravings?
These are quesrions I'll keep in mind when I eat one - or two
OMGTwins, you make some good points, there.
Yes the company is a lot more commercial than when Dr. Atkins began in the 70's, but then in the 70's and 80's more people were still eating home cooked meals in general. More mothers were still Home bound, and more families still ate meals together than even ten years later or today. Another thing is that since the plan CAN be done entirely by the client, there was no need to be commercial since food could be got by anyone.

I think the first commercializations were of products that were not easy to come by, sweet snacks and quick meal replacement drinks for the busy traveler/worker. They had to be commercial because the ingredients were not easy to get. We didn't have the variety or access to sweeteners, or fat and protein sources that were easy to transport or non perishable. They didn't have Netrition or Amazon to buy their exotic products. Yeah steak and veggies is easy to get but you can't take it on a plane or put it in your pocket for business trips.

I see going commercial was another avenue to make sure Atkins stayed in the mainstream and for people who say " I want to do it but *excuse a,b and c" by taking away some the excuses of convenience, taste and still being of a quality to coincide with the diet plan. Cause you KNOW that some people NEVER READ THE BOOK even though they buy and and put it on their shelves and then blame the diet for not working....

I think if put side by side, Dr. A would approve of these meals over the shakes because the meals are closer to the real food Dr. A said people could and should have on his diet, and it solves the problem of convenience just like the shakes did in their time. I'm actually surprised they didn't do this sooner. Lean Cuisine, Jenny Craig, who else was out there with frozen meals for decades but did not offer low carb options because Low Fat was the norm. I think Dr. A's team didnt go for it sooner cause it was already so easy to go shopping and cook at home.

Now we have a generation of people who don't know how to boil water, scads of people young and old who work multiple jobs and have little time for cooking, or are just plain tired and hungry at the same time. In a society where you can buy sugar in the freezer, In the fridge, on the shelves, in the vendor box, and even on the street, but have to search to find a bag of nuts among the chips, or a frozen meal that doesn't have one of the major starch foods, I breath a sigh of relief to see these.

I still don't buy the bars and I don't buy the shakes hardly at all anymore, but I still want to eat food. and if i only have 10 minutes to prepare and eat the meal, I'd think these qualify as a better meal than a bucket of pasta, or slab of meatloaf and potatoes. especially when they keep telling us to eat more vegetables, but these typical frozen meals come with more pasta, rice, potato and brownies than servings of vegetable.

Okay, it's processed, but what does that mean? It means it's cooked and made somewhere other than at home. Big deal. It's better than a candy bar, and less processed than wheat pasta. slice a vegetable, steam it. Okay. Cook the meat. the part that's most processed is probably the sauces and many of those ingredient are often less than 2% of the entire meal.

I'd honestly feel sorry for the person who had the need to use this product for every meal of the day, what their lifestyle must be like to have to do so, but consider that if that is their current lifestyle, I'd think they'd do better to have THESE meals for breakfast lunch and dinner than the competition's meals full of sugars and starches, since if they are were eating frozen meals all day before now, that's probably what they were eating was breakfast sausage BISCUITS, or PANCAKE BITES with sausage or CEREALS or OATMEAL or breakfast BURRITOES, then lunch being PASTA primavera or chicken fried RICE or frenchBREAD pizza, and dinner meals of Roast beef with POTATOES, CORN and a BROWNIE, or BREADED chicken with wild RICE, or PASTASensation, or Beefstew with POTATOES, CORN, CARROTS.

Atkins Nutritional Meals, while not superior to the others, offers the same choices but with vegetables instead of all of the typical STARCH sources and I think that is a nice option to have. and since I personally am about to become one of those poor overworked saps, I'm glad to have more than the 3 frozen meals with veggies that the competitors deign to supply to choose fromto have available for when i come home hungry and tired.

And it's only BECAUSE of Dr. Atkins and his team that anybody even thought to offer it as a choice....I think he would approve.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Okaaay - I looked up the ingredients for the tex mex scrambled and I think they had a brain fart ... here's what it shows:
Milk Chocolate (Sugar; Cocoa Butter; Chocolate; Nonfat Milk; Milk Fat; Lactose; Soy Lecithin; Pgpr, Emulsifer); Peanuts; Sugar; Dextrose; Cocoa Butter; Contains 2% Or Less of: Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel And Palm Oil); Salt; Cornstarch; Tbhq (Preservative).

LOL

Anyway - I'm on phase 1 and doing Atkins the way it was started so am looking for the ones that stay away from any pasta/processed foods
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgtwins View Post
Okaaay - I looked up the ingredients for the tex mex scrambled and I think they had a brain fart ... here's what it shows:
Milk Chocolate (Sugar; Cocoa Butter; Chocolate; Nonfat Milk; Milk Fat; Lactose; Soy Lecithin; Pgpr, Emulsifer); Peanuts; Sugar; Dextrose; Cocoa Butter; Contains 2% Or Less of: Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Palm Kernel And Palm Oil); Salt; Cornstarch; Tbhq (Preservative).

LOL

Anyway - I'm on phase 1 and doing Atkins the way it was started so am looking for the ones that stay away from any pasta/processed foods
What? hahaha, What!?? I think you grabbed the wrong box!! or looked at the wrong product. the website has the ingredients listed same as the box: Scrambled eggs, Sausage, Cheese, Green peppers, Tomatos, Green onions, Pablano Chili ( and all the ingredients each one is made of)

Well, all of these Atkins meals are induction friendly, in case you just have to eat one.

Last edited by metqa; 01-05-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

metqa, I agree with some of your points and we each have our own way of doing Atkins - if it works, work it! - I was far too young and skinny in the 70s and 80s to do Atkins and it wasnt until 89 I started.
I also agree on the moderation part - but Dr Atkins would only approve these meals over the shakes because it was something to compare to. Stand alone and I'm not so sure he would agree. Now I am not talking all of them because they seem to be on a good roll ... but he wouldnt advise this as once a day because he was set in his way of thinking when it came to native Americans and real meat (when I say processed I'm talking about things like lunch meats - not the process of anything)
I say this because I looked at the ingredients for the meatloaf. It says its good for all phases ... seriously? It has oats as a top ingredient.
Of course, I have learned the difference the original (well 90s) way of doing atkins was cleaner and I didnt stall until I was close to my goal weight and not 10lbs in like I did with the latest version in 2010.

So, like you said - moderation and be aware that commercialization may be convenient but it might not be best for YOU (whoever 'you' are ... and if you are overworked and have little time, there are SO many recipes that a incompetent cook (like me!) can do and have as leftovers (cheeseburger quiche - YUM)
And, I agree (if these are done smartly), these are way overdue!
Next time I go to WM, I'll be getting some, but will stay away from them until after my 2 week induction phase, for sure
Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I refreshed a couple times and got the same thing - it was right next to the picture too, metqa! - it HAS to be a glich cause its still there
Atkins Nutritionals Day Break Tex-Mex Scramble, 7 oz: Frozen Foods : Walmart.com

Its a good laugh
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #270
Noah and Wyatt's Mommy

Gallery: Cryssi
Stats: 316.0/316.0/130
Start Date: 6/23/14
I finally found these today

Had Beef Merlot for dinner. I unfortunately got one of the ones with the crummy beef but other than that it was yummy.
Cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote