Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I can say that this gal will not be throwing away her pots and pans in exchange for $3-4 meals, I'd go broke.

I can't imagine that anyone would really eat only Frozen meals for every meal of the day. ETA: I take that back , there are meal plans that do that, but anyone who has read the book and knows how easy it is to come up with home recipes or looked at our recipe threads would not WANT to only eat frozen meals if they didn't have to. I think they are using Hyperbole when they say to "toss away the pots and pans". As someone earlier mentioned it is nice, sometimes, to be able to have a quick meal without having to take out all the pots and pans and cutting boards and prep surfaces just to make one meal.

It's meant to be a convenience item not a persons sole diet. I see these as a bit better than the line of shakes and bars that are nothing but comfort foods and candies, at least these are meals with meats and vegetables. And if the Atkins Nutritional Company doesn't fill the niche, then someone else will. Like all these other companies that came out with "LOW CARB" Whatsit and put whatever and the kitchen sink and the laundries lost socks and dared to call it low carb. People ate that stuff and thought they were eating on plan, but noone was checking to see if it were. So then the opposite happened, everyone ran screaming from anything that said low carb on the package and we lost good products with the bad. Dr. Atkins wanted people to make and eat easy homecooked meals as fancy as they wanted to be, but I'm sure he'd understand that busy households don't always have the same luxuries of quiet relaxing meals around the table.

ETA: My Walmart in Athens, GA doesn't have them, nor does the Kroger. I guess I'll keep getting Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine in the meantime.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 12-10-2012 at 04:55 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #122

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Wow, Dr. Atkins must be turning over in his grave. From the original plan where he wanted you to cook to Atkins Nutritionals and the bars and then everything else. How is that suitable for induction? They;re basically trying to make it the new Jenny craig or nutrisystem- all processed and packaged foods from them so they can make a profit. They're ruining the Atkins name- it's not being promoted as a convenience food for an emergency but a replacement for actual cooking with fresh ingredients. They;re gonna have to publish a new version of the diet and induction can now be a breakfast bowl for breakfast, atkins bar and shake for lunch, and another bowl for dinner.
For me personally I could agree with you but watching my sister suffer so much with trying to stay faithful with Atkins I am happy for this option. She cannot stand to cook. Rarely home and when she does buy ingredients they go bad because again she isn't home to cook. She eats out almost all 3 meals because she doesn't know what to eat. She is often places where there are at least microwaves. She is so very excited about these. Dr. Atkins was from an era where people cooked more than they do today.

The bars and shakes I agree aren't good choices but these seem really doable for people like my sister.
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
For me personally I could agree with you but watching my sister suffer so much with trying to stay faithful with Atkins I am happy for this option. She cannot stand to cook. Rarely home and when she does buy ingredients they go bad because again she isn't home to cook. She eats out almost all 3 meals because she doesn't know what to eat. She is often places where there are at least microwaves. She is so very excited about these. Dr. Atkins was from an era where people cooked more than they do today.

The bars and shakes I agree aren't good choices but these seem really doable for people like my sister.
I agree. And these are a good option for people, like me, who either have to bring in their lunch, order take-out or scout all the vending machines in the hospital for the one that has anything "safe". While I usually cook dinner at home and eat before I go, there are not always any leftovers for me to take to eat later. (I have 2 teen boys. We rarely have leftovers!)
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Personally, I feel like a frozen dinner, despite a few preservatives, is a HUGE step up from eating those low carb candy bars or shakes. I'll take "ground beef, water, tomatoes, peppers" over "soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, sodium caseinate, glycering, and polydextrose"!

Compare the ingredients of a Atkins Day Break Cinnamon bar:

Protein Blend (Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Sodium Caseinate), Glycerin, Polydextrose, Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Palm Kernel and Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Cellulose, Maltitol, Chocolate Liquor, Vitamin Mineral Mix [Dicalcium Phosphate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, D-L Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)], Olive Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Cocoa Butter, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Sucralose, Mono and Diglycerides, Potassium Phosphate, Acesulfame Potassium. Contains: Soy, Milk and Sulfites. This Product Is Manufactured In A Facility That Uses Peanuts, Other Nuts and Seeds.

To the ingredients posted above for one of the bowls

Cooked Ground Beef, Water, Tomatoes, Green Bell Peppers, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto), Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Contains Less than 2% of the Following: Flavoring, Tomato Paste, Salt, Resistant Maltodextrin, Beef Base (Beef Broth [Beef Stock, Water], Yeast Extract, Beef Flavor, Caramel Color, Potato Flour, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Flavor, Beef Fat), Modified Food Starch, Oleoresin Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Tabasco Sauce (Red Pepper, Tabasco Peppers, Vinegar, Salt), Lime Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Inosinate & Disodium Guanylate

Last edited by Strawberry; 12-10-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
I agree. And these are a good option for people, like me, who either have to bring in their lunch, order take-out or scout all the vending machines in the hospital for the one that has anything "safe". While I usually cook dinner at home and eat before I go, there are not always any leftovers for me to take to eat later. (I have 2 teen boys. We rarely have leftovers!)
I agree. These are a great option for me. I have 3 kids and sometimes I only get 10 minutes to cook and eat and this woukd be a simple option. My WalMart has them and I bought the Meatloaf and the beef and broccoli one to try.
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
To me it's not so much the ingredients but the fact that it's encouraging not cooking and relying on these. A lot of people already don't know how to cook and don't consider it a priority and the first thing they stop when they are busy and I think these just enable that, so that when you are hungry and don't have a ready made meal then you get into trouble, just like people on nutrisystem- you don't learn how to cook healthy meals and what a portion size is or what foods are more nutritious and which are just empty calories.

I had a friend stay with me recently and her reflex is so to rely on convenience or prepared foods or frozen stuff, so maybe this is why I feel so strongly about this. In the morning while I made eggs- and that literally only takes a few mins- she was making some waffles from the freezer because she "didn't want to cook". For dinner, she's always "too tired to cook" (even though she will watch tv, something she could do while cooking) and so she does a microwave pizza or some other microwave meal while my sauteed chicken breast with vegetables takes 10 mins and is super easy to cook and clean up, but she sees it as too much work. I think this is a huge problem- cooking is seen as something that easily expendable and not important, even for people that do have the time and could easily manage it.

And, the best part was when she looked in my fridge and kitchen and said I had nothing to eat and wanted to go out for dinner- I had plenty of meat, eggs, and vegetables and butter, cheese, and sour cream, evoo. Basically ingredients for tons of easy and quick to cook meals, and she saw nothing to eat because everything actually required work.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 12-11-2012 at 06:19 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/136/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Well, learning how to cook is anoth lifestyle change, and it appears to be too challenging for some people. At least folks can have a couple in their freezer and they can no longer complain that there was nothing to eat in the house, so they ate the oreos, or fruitcake, or whqtever it is this time. And i agree about the bars...i hate them!! My biggest problem is Voldemart ....i only try to go there once a year at most.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
Start Date: 9/17/12
DQ - Voldemart
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
Well, learning how to cook is anoth lifestyle change, and it appears to be too challenging for some people. At least folks can have a couple in their freezer and they can no longer complain that there was nothing to eat in the house, so they ate the oreos, or fruitcake, or whqtever it is this time. And i agree about the bars...i hate them!! My biggest problem is Voldemart ....i only try to go there once a year at most.
Slightly OT-I agree about the "lifestyle change". It never ceases to amaze me the number of people I know who refuse to cook or even learn how to cook. I love to cook and entertain. People ask me for lessons and recipes all the time and yet, when I start with "ingredients"....their eyes glaze over and they say "I absolutely hate grocery shopping". I'm beat before I start I offer to make it as easy as possible....ok, let's marinade a pork tenderloin for the grill...uh oh, scared of grill and clueless about a marinade or even the cut of meat.

And another thing.....was truly amazed that nearly whole aisle of frozen food at Kroger devoted to pizza alone Big business I guess.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 239/225/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 02/25/14
Well.... I had the crustless Chicken Pot Pie for lunch. It did have a good taste when comparing to the other "diet" frozen meals and it was enough.... although looking at it made me wish I had brought along alittle more chicken.
I would not want to survive on it.... but.... it was good.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Some of you might be interested in Kent Altena's review of the Atkins dinners on his blog. Bowulf « Atkins Diet Geek Blog. He gave a pretty good review of them except for some of the questionable ingredients - though he did say they were pretty far down on the list of ingredients. And he said they were not quite enough food for him - he supplemented one meal with some nuts. I'm so anxious to try them. They weren't at my super WM as of this weekend but I'll keep looking.
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/134/135, 52 yo
WOE: LCHF Primal
Start Date: 12/02
I hate the idea of processed foods, but these sound a lot healthier than many alternatives that people grab when they're in a rush.

There's absolutely nothing wrong, in my opinion, with FROZEN veggies and berries, however, if you choose the ones that are just plain food, with no added mystery ingredients. Frozen vegetables and berries are often much more nutritious than fresh ones (my husband's an organic farmer, and we freeze huge amounts of veggies and berries each fall for our own use). Freezing a vegetable means that the farmers usually wash them, blanch them (ie, dip them in boiling water briefly to stop enzyme action that rots veggies), and then flash freezes them extremely quickly. So-called fresh produce in your average store has been sitting around, losing nutrients, for 10 to 15 days.

When I'm rushed and don't have time to make something to bring to work for lunch, I measure out frozen low carb veggies into my tupperware. Green beans, cauliflower, and spinach are my favorites. Then I add a tablespoon or two of kerrygold butter or cheese, spices, and some left-over meat or eggs (or lox, or canned salmon, or frozen, cooked chicken. Rotiserrie chicken from the grocery is also a great time saver). By lunchtime, it has thawed, and I can microwave it for a few minutes for a healthy and delicious lunch.

Nolcjunk, I agree with you about how frustrating it is that so many people never learned to cook. When I was in high school, I had to cook for the whole family for about a year. I complained about it, but now I'm grateful that I learned how to cook quickly and efficiently. It's so much faster, cheaper, and healthier to cook a simple meal than to go out for restaurant food.

Last edited by tiva; 12-11-2012 at 10:41 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 220/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Apr. 2013
Went to a Wal-Mart yesterday near my work place, they did not have them.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
I'm excited to hear about the meals...I can't tell you the number of times I have grabbed something not lc because I wasn't prepared...and who are we kidding, I know I could have grabbed a chunck of broccoli or celery, but frankly, I can't have that everyday at every meal...Sooo for me, I go from slightly hungry to get out of my way, I need something now! :0 I think these would be great for a quick, better than cheating, meal.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
Bummer - they are apparently exclusive to Walmart and I won't shop there. Guess it saves me from myself and somewhat frankenfoods. Would have been an okay fallback at work, though.
MauraV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 188.6/187.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 10/19/13
Anyone seen these in NC yet?
ncgirl37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #137

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
The Walmart on my side of town has them!
they are 330-370 calories, $2.98 - $3.49 and 5-7 net carbs. of my family and friends, I think I'm the only one excited by this.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #138

Gallery: Jennifer
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by h82bl8 View Post
Went to a Wal-Mart yesterday near my work place, they did not have them.
You're in Houston right? Which one did you go to?
The one nearest me (Meyerland) doesn't have a grocery so I'm not even going to check. I typically avoid Wal-Mart like the plague, but I might suck it up to have a few meals ready to go in the freezer.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
Start Date: 03/11/2012
These have finally showed up in my Walmart. I haven't tried any yet, but I work tonight, so I might grab some on the way in to work.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 215/190(166)/150 5'8"
Start Date: January 2003
Has anyone spotted them in the DC metro area yet?
Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Still curious as to what parts of US carry these.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #142
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
DQ - Voldemart
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Went to a Walmart Supercenter today (small-medium city in the midwest) and they did not have them.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I totally forgot to look. Anyone in AZ see them? I will get to wallyworld maybe 1 time before the big holiday next week. I am so dingy I will prolly forget unless the jump out of the freezer and trip me.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lbecker28
WOE: Atkins with 2 shakes per day
Can't wait to try them!
lbecker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
Atkins facebook page says they will have a store locator for the meals at their website starting tomorrow.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #147
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rebecca130
Stats: 201/ 183/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Jan 23, 2008
I had the southwest breakfast today and it was great. I take them to work cuz I have to open a daycare early... it's been a lifesaver for me to have a hot breakfast. I microwave it, stick it in my bag and it's still warm when I get to work.
Rebecca130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmPugs
Stats: 289/187/175
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: 10/15/2012
Not at our Walmart yet, but the food selection there is pretty limited. Hoping they'll have them eventually.
EmPugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JQuintero
Stats: 268/206/?
WOE: LFL
Start Date: Every morning
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Atkins facebook page says they will have a store locator for the meals at their website starting tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up. I checked and its listing the Walmart by my house. I went last week and they didn't have the meals. I'll have to give it another go.
JQuintero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #150
Noah and Wyatt's Mommy

Gallery: Cryssi
Stats: 342.8/337.2/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 2/24/14
The locator says my WM is supposed to have them.

They lie!
Cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote