Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Here are the ingredients for two of them:

Cooked Meatloaf (Beef, Pork, Onions, Oats, Eggs, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Water, and Parsley), Cauliflower, Water, Fire Roasted Zucchini, Green Beans, Portobello Mushrooms, Contains Less than 2% of the Following: Rendered Bacon Fat, Cream, Ribeye Beef Base (Cooked Beef Ribeye Including Beef Juices, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Oil, Beef Fat, Onion Powder, Disodium Inosinate/Disodium Guanylate, Yeast Extract, Caramel Color, Beef Flavor and Flavor), Resistant Maltodextrin, Beef Base (Roasted Beef Including Beef Juices, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Potato Flour, Dry Whey, Caramel Color, Flavorings, Corn Oil, Paprika), Salt, Modified Food Starch, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Flavoring, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate.

Cooked Ground Beef, Water, Tomatoes, Green Bell Peppers, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto), Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Contains Less than 2% of the Following: Flavoring, Tomato Paste, Salt, Resistant Maltodextrin, Beef Base (Beef Broth [Beef Stock, Water], Yeast Extract, Beef Flavor, Caramel Color, Potato Flour, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Flavor, Beef Fat), Modified Food Starch, Oleoresin Paprika, Soy Lecithin, Tabasco Sauce (Red Pepper, Tabasco Peppers, Vinegar, Salt), Lime Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Inosinate & Disodium Guanylate.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I just checked at my WalMart - they don't have them. I don't usually eat processed (frozen) foods, but I might be willing to try one in a pinch.
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Frozen dinners are never as good as home cooked ones. Having said that, it's nice to have some in the freezer for those inevitable times when you have no time or inclination to fix something. The only ones I have ever found are 2 varieties of Lean Quisine - steak tips w/broccoli and turkey w/green beans. they are just "ok", not enough meat for me, but I do stock them. I also have the unrefrigerated chili from Netrition which I like pretty well. It would be nice to have more of a variety of frozen LC meals to choose from. I'll be looking for the Atkins meals to try.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I suspect they aren't great tasting, but they would do in a pinch. Would be nice to have a few in the freezer for those crazy days.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #65
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that these sound less than healthy? The equivalent of high carb frozen meals filled with questionable ingredients like soy and dubious Atkins math with the net carbs?

My fast and easy meals are eggs/bacon or some sauteed chicken with green beans. Boiling eggs also takes only a few mins and requires no supervision.

Maybe it's just me.
It is not just you. I knew without looking they would contain ingredients I will not eat. Seeing the list here confirms that. I am careful about what I eat & avoid processed foods.

We are all at different places on our journeys and these will be helpful to some people.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
This article says they'll be available nationwide next month.
Atkins Introduces Deliciously Different Low-Carb Meals To The Freezer Aisle - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee
theLossgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Too much "crud" in there for me, but I never say never! Eating them once in a while wouldn't kill me. I would eat them if I was traveling or something and wanted to save money on food (would be good for hotel microwaves).
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janelt29
Stats: 150/145/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmTee View Post
I've tried three of these so far. Here's my review:

Italian Sausage Primavera - I liked this one but it was REALLY spicy. I'd get it again though. Lots of sausage....yum!

Turkey Tenders with Herb Pan Gravy - Pretty good turkey with green beans. However, there are LOTS of green beans. Way too many for me. Had to throw about 1/3 of them away.

Crustless Chicken Pot Pie - My least favorite. Not exactly sure why. Something off in the taste to me.

My Walmart in MA had them all except the Farmhouse Scramble, Chile con Carne and Tex Mex Scramble (unless they were in the breakfast section....didn't look there).

All the ones they had were $3.86.

Nice to have something quick on hand for those no time to cook lunches and dinners.
Cool. Have you signed up for the Atkins Nutritionals Facebook contest? Then you could get plenty of meals , if you win.
janelt29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #69
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by judytab View Post
Frozen dinners are never as good as home cooked ones. Having said that, it's nice to have some in the freezer for those inevitable times when you have no time or inclination to fix something. The only ones I have ever found are 2 varieties of Lean Quisine - steak tips w/broccoli and turkey w/green beans. they are just "ok", not enough meat for me, but I do stock them. I also have the unrefrigerated chili from Netrition which I like pretty well. It would be nice to have more of a variety of frozen LC meals to choose from. I'll be looking for the Atkins meals to try.
I also keep the LQ steak tips w/broccoli for a pinch meal. They are alright.

I try to keep my food pure and cook everything I can as well, but sometimes it's just not possible so I like that there is an option.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Does anyone know if these meals have any wheat in them? I may stop at the Super WM on the way home to pick them up if there are no wheat ingredients...
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dezi
Stats: 5 foot 11 inches 142lbs BMI 19.9/Goal BMI was 20.6
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: Feb. 1 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Too much "crud" in there for me, but I never say never! Eating them once in a while wouldn't kill me. I would eat them if I was traveling or something and wanted to save money on food (would be good for hotel microwaves).
"Contains Less than 2% of the Following:"

eh. I don't consider 2 pecent too much. I doubt I am 98% correct on my diet. I am not going to ask a big manufacturer to be better than me. But apparently they are.

I am maybe 90% perfect on my diet. Good results too.
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Well.... just called our Strongsville super walmart and they have them....not sure of which ones. I will be there this weekend and see what they have and I am sure pick up a few.
While YES I realize that "real" food is so much better..... I do not always take the time needed for that and this is where I ususally fall hard. If these are edible it would be a good crutch for when I just didnt do the cooking (usually a work lunch issue). Eating one of these would be much better than the Big Mac and fries I may have given into because I was sick to death of the salads....

Vicki
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #73
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Give me some Frozen Crud, Yeah!

Seriously though, When I need to have a meal for me somewhere I can't cook a meal or when I'm too busy or just plain forgot to pack a meal, I usually get one of the Smart Ones Frozen Lunches that doesn't have rice, potato or some other filler starch.

Honestly I don't expect the Atkins Brand to be Holier Than Thou Better than most other Frozen brands. I honestly don't care if they use the same meat and veggie ingredients in theirs as other companies do.

What it does give me is the option to just go and pick one out instead of squatting by several different freezer windows for 5 min looking through frosted glass for the ONE MEAL that isn't sitting atop a mound of mashed potatoes or rice.

They are Low Carb meals, they don't claim to be the purest grass fed, organic, pasture raised, free range, no hormone, only locally grown, whatever and everything everyone wants for their personal lifestyle. They are Low Carb Meals and I think it's about time that they showed up in the market again, especially for people like me who sometimes just needs to pick up a quick meal that I can toss in the nuker during my way too short lunch break.

If they ever come to a store near me, I'll gladly patronize the product, and I'll probably still buy Smart One's cause they are tasty and good. But, If they taste awful, all bets are off. I won't give up good taste for convenience.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 12-07-2012 at 01:59 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mysstwalker
Stats: 501/170/140
WOE: Banded RNY - high protein/mid-level carbs baby!
Start Date: Silastic ring RNY - 1/30/08
I got 3 dinner ones and one breakfast bowl. Trying a dinner one tonight, and the stats look good so we shall see!
Mysstwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
WOOT! I remember Atkins frozen pizza many years back.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mysstwalker
Stats: 501/170/140
WOE: Banded RNY - high protein/mid-level carbs baby!
Start Date: Silastic ring RNY - 1/30/08
Ok had the turkey and it was delicious! Turkey was tender and moist, lots of it and the sauce was thick and rich and very yummy. The green beans tasted fresh, weren't limp, I couldn't finish them all. Trying a breakfast bowl in the morning!
Mysstwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
gosh - for people whowork 10-14 hours a day away from home with maybe just a microwave in the office, this could be a very useful tool!!! I don't like frozen food much either, but if it the carb counts are accurate, then it's a good thing! If it's true that <2% of the ingredients are the fillers, etc., that's pretty darned good! And, in my case, they would be a happy alternative to the food trucks (can't trust them and...um...how do yo wash your hands???) in my neighborhood and the Subway next door!

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
They are Low Carb meals, they don't claim to be the purest grass fed, organic, pasture raised, free range, no hormone, only locally grown, whatever and everything everyone wants for their personal lifestyle.
Thank you Metqa!

I would love to eat pure, perfect food too, but for people who do 24 hr shifts (like me), or work 80 hrs a week at two jobs and then come home to care for family, or have to eat in a 10 minute break on the job during the night shift... its nice to have a low carb option that doesnt cost a fortune or require you to spend your precious weekend time pre-planning, shopping, and cooking perfect meals to take. I cant afford grassfed organic stuff anyways on my budget.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
I apologize if anyone felt like I was being judgmental about eating these. My post DID say that I would also eat them from time to time, and that they would be a big help in certain circumstances.

I feel bad if anyone thought I was being judgy, because I certainly did not intend for it to come across that way. We all do the best we can and do whatever works for us.

I can't afford grass-fed everything all the time, either. And sometimes I eat processed meat and cheese, because it's fast and convenient.
6/22/13: the 100 lb. loss only lasted a few weeks, and I've since regained some of the weight. Stats updated to reflect this.
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Hey, if you HAD to eat something from the Walmart frozen food section this is a good choice. Have you ever looked at one of those Hungry Man dinners??? When I see people buy those I gag a little
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #81

Since many of us already know what things like Rendered Bacon Fat, Cream, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Oil, Beef Fat, Onion Powder, Yeast Extract, Caramel Color, Beef Juices, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Potato Flour, Dry Whey, Caramel Color, Paprika, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Xanthan Gum, and Soy Lecithin are, I thought I'd C&P about a couple of the ingredients that seem a bit unfamiliar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Disodium guanylate is produced from dried fish or dried seaweed and is often added to instant noodles, potato chips and other snacks, savoury rice, tinned vegetables, cured meats, and packaged soup.
Nutritional information

Disodium guanylate is not safe for babies under twelve weeks, and should generally be avoided by asthmatics and people with gout, as guanylates are metabolized to purines. However, the typical amounts found in food are generally too low to produce significant side effects.[1] Since it is often produced from fish,[1] vegans and vegetarians may wish to avoid it unless the product is specifically labeled as vegan or vegetarian. Such labels require the use of non-animal derived sources, such as seaweed or yeast. 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Disodium inosinate is used as a flavor enhancer, in synergy with monosodium glutamate (MSG) to provide the umami taste. It is often added to foods in conjunction with disodium guanylate; the combination is known as disodium 5'-ribonucleotides.

As a relatively expensive product, disodium inosinate is usually not used independently of glutamic acid; if disodium inosinate is present in a list of ingredients, but MSG does not appear to be, it is possible that glutamic acid is provided as part of another ingredient or is naturally occurring in another ingredient like tomatoes, Parmesan cheese or yeast extract.
Origin

Disodium inosinate is generally produced from meat or from fish. Alternately, it may be produced from tapioca starch without any animal products involved in the production. Like rennet it is normally a non-vegetarian product; only the producer can provide information on the origin although it is in some cases labeled as "vegetarian" in ingredients lists when produced from plant sources
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM Product Database
FIBERSOL-2 Digestion Resistant Maltodextrin is clear and colorless with no inherent or added flavor, high solubility, rapid dispersion, very low viscosity, low sweetness; acid, heat/retort, and freeze/thaw stable. *Meets criteria for fiber via method AOAC Official Method 2001.03 GRAS as maltodextrin. Kosher and parve by O.U.

Key Benefits
- Dietary fiber (90 % min DSB)
- High solubility
- Rapid dispersion
- Clear, transparent solution
- No inherent or added flavor
- Very low viscosity
- Water binding
- Improves body/texture
- Low hygroscopicity
- Low sweetness
- Acid, heat/retort, and freeze/thaw stable
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Coots
Stats: 321/250.6/230's?
WOE: Mainly Atkins - My own body way.
Start Date: April 2011
Got 'em...

I went to my local Wal-mart (Northeast Alabama) and they had several of them in stock.

Breakfast Scrambler
Meatloaf
Turkey Tenders
Chicken Alfredo
Crustless Chicken Pot Pie

I bought one of each to try them out... they'll be good to stick at work. Instead of going and paying $8 for 10 wings at Zaxby's or $5 for a think burger at Hardee's.

I'll report back after I try a couple of them.
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My walmart only had two types.... the chicken pot pie and the sausage primavera..... I bought one of both and will try them some time this week. I am hoping for the best... it would be nice to have something to turn to .
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #84

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriAS View Post
My response from Atkins:

Lori,

Thank you for your email. The staff here at Atkins Nutritionals appreciates your kind words and support regarding our products. The frozen meals are currently exclusive to Walmart and more items will be released at the beginning of the year.

As a token of our appreciation we are sending you a few coupons towards Atkins frozen meals. Please expect to receive your coupons within the next 2-3 weeks.

Kind Regards,

Charlotte Carsh
Information Agent
Atkins Nutritionals Inc.
My sister just found all of them at Kroger's in Fairfield OH
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #85
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I sure would like the chicken pot pie one to be good, miss frozen pot pies, I have to admit. I will keep some on hand to use when I am busy, will be glad to have them on hand.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I sure would like the chicken pot pie one to be good, miss frozen pot pies, I have to admit. I will keep some on hand to use when I am busy, will be glad to have them on hand.
Yep... I thought that also....until I remembered...what I liked about the chicken pot pie was the crust.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
Yep... I thought that also....until I remembered...what I liked about the chicken pot pie was the crust.
That's pretty much how I feel about apple pie as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
Amen!!!
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Can't wait to see what this has for a crust? Not setting my hopes too high.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #90

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Can't wait to see what this has for a crust? Not setting my hopes too high.
The Atkins website calls it a Crustless Chicken Pot Pie
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote