Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
Me too!
Me three! What a great idea!
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #482
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Hello everyone.... this thread is way to long for me read but would like to post my findings on Atkin Meals... Well I found them at my local Wally World and think they all tasted delicious!!! Easy to pop in the microwave and eat. I have always secretly wished I had a chef come in and cook for me after all these years of cooking low carb and thought WOW!! I can have a few day off....
The bad news for me... I ended up with a huge migraine headache each and every time I ate an Atkin meal??? I looked at the ingredients and there is: modified corn starch and potato starch??? WHY??? I am so disappointed Couldn't they have just used natural flavorings and gaar gum (sp)
So for me it is back to cooking from scratch...

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength Philippians 4:13
Grandmother of 8
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
If it is to be, it's up to me
*a little note... I lost this all my weight without one ounce of exercise. I do now swim 3x a week*

mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #483
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I use them for quick easy meal and add mor veg usually frozen broccoli
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #484
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I wrote Atkins and here is there reply to my above post:

Atkins Case Number 00191608; Product - [ ref:_00D30pCvw._500a0U72bp:ref ]‏

Actions
contactus@​atkins.com (contactus@atkins.com)Add to contacts 3:54 PM
To: jmbjj@msn.com

Marialanea,

The cornstarch in our frozen meals is a combination of resistant and/or modified food starch. Resistant starch acts as a thickener and provides fiber which helps off-set any carbs contributed by the small amount of modified food starch that was added to the meals. The amount used has minimal impact on blood sugar levels and was taken into account in the total net carbs appropriate for Induction. The reason that we suggest that anyone following the Atkins plan refrain from using cornstarch to thicken gravies, etc. is because of the amount that would be needed in such recipes would affect your total net carbs and could stall your weight loss.
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
Tried the meatloaf. It reminded me of a frozen Salisbury steak type of meal. Don't think that I will purchase this again
I tried this one today and it was really disgusting. The veggies were OK but the meat was spongy and just reminded me of a cheap TV dinner. With that said, I very very seldom eat packaged food. I am a whole REAL food kind of gal so I am sure it has something to do with not liking this stuff.

I hope I don't develop GAS later today from eating it
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #486
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
The bad news for me... I ended up with a huge migraine headache each and every time I ate an Atkin meal???
Well as I noted above, I didn't get GAS (lol) but............ I also got the horrible migraine headache late afternoon that lasted till this morning. Guess I will stick to my clean eating but the concept is good and I think if it helps people stay on plan, then that's all that matters
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
WOE: Atkins
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! It's great to know I can microwave them and get good results, instead of heating up my oven and kitchen. Especially since it's getting hot here in Florida already!!

Juaander......hello neighbor! I live in Ocoee, very near Orlando!
Tryinghardtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #488
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jannybunny
Stats: 175/110/115 restart 187/146/130
Start Date: 1/4/2008 restarted for the last time 1/3/2013
I love to cook, but I get tired of cooking just for me when dh goes out of town. So, I bought four of the meals today and will have one for dinner (just can't decide on which one yet )

I got the beef merlot, the Italian sausage primavera, the turkey tenders, and a farmhouse breakfast scramble. I'm glad I didn't buy the meatloaf after reading all the reviews here

I normally don't eat frozen dinners, but it is so nice to finally have something to fall back on, that isn't loaded with carbs I just hope I like them!

Had to change stats. Starting weight at doctor's office in January. Current weigh is now
Jannybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
wow.Funny watching people get so rabid defending tv dinners
Here in NZ we don't have a culture of TV dinners and I don't think you could get them really until about 10 years ago.Even now there aren't many choices.We don't have Atkins ones anyway.

I suppose it is good for people on maintenance or DANDR or FANY but I do '72 so I couldn't have them anyway.Too many carbs when you don't count fibre and/or wrong sources so all insulin spikey.

Still ,interesting...
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #490

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I don't watch "TV".
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #491
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
The cornstarch in our frozen meals is a combination of resistant and/or modified food starch. Resistant starch acts as a thickener and provides fiber which helps off-set any carbs contributed by the small amount of modified food starch that was added to the meals. The amount used has minimal impact on blood sugar levels and was taken into account in the total net carbs appropriate for Induction. The reason that we suggest that anyone following the Atkins plan refrain from using cornstarch to thicken gravies, etc. is because of the amount that would be needed in such recipes would affect your total net carbs and could stall your weight loss.

I think this is a buncha Bull!!!

I think they should be honest and say - "yeah, well we couldnt produce a product with a texture that we thought people would buy, so we added some crappy cornstarch... its a TV dinner afterall"

The bit about "resistant starch" fiber off-setting the cornstarch is really reaching to justify.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #492

Well, I had two of the meals (last night and the night before).

I liked the beef merlot one (especially the broccoli) but didn't eat all sauce because it was quite salty The beef was tender but sure didn't look like the picture on the package

I liked the vegetables in the Italian primavera but the sausage was all dried out

I might buy these occasionally to have on hand but they are kind of pricey (for me)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #493
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
I've filled my freezer with a bunch of these, they seem to be at least tolerable. Most importantly, when I need to eat and I don't have time to truly cook, it fills that void so there's no excuses to get a bowl of cereal or poptart! I don't plan on using them all the time, but when I don't have time it's a great way for me to get a LC meal in.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #494
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Had the breakfast bowl the other day and didn't care for it. I have a couple other dinners in the frig to try. I think if anything, I'll have them on hand for emergencies.
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KellyJef
Stats: 215/207/170
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: 1/2/2013
I find it so fascinating how people have such different tastes.

I have tried several of the frozen meals and found them all truly inedible Literally tossed them in the trash after a couple of bites. Disgusting.

Yet others love them.....
KellyJef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #496
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
My Walmart doesn't seem to carry them anymore. I bought some when they first came out, but when I went the other day, they were nowhere to be seen. Too bad, because they were handy in a pinch. Hopefully I'll find them somewhere else!
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #497
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
My Food Lion has started carrying the Atkins dinners, I hope other stores start carrying the dinners as well!!!
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJef View Post
I find it so fascinating how people have such different tastes.

I have tried several of the frozen meals and found them all truly inedible Literally tossed them in the trash after a couple of bites. Disgusting.

Yet others love them.....
Yeah, It is fascinating. For me especially, for example things like Okra. I can't imagine why anyone would find that weed tasty( The flower is pretty...), but people eat it and ruin whole batches of soup putting in into the recipe. To me okra tastes like snot and boogers, yet others love them. I think it would be better suited as a dried floral arrangement than food.

I love to drink kefir, but other people just see old fermented smelly milk that should be poured down the drain.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts, IMO, shouldn't even be called doughnuts But they sell cases of them all over town all the time. There must be something good about them, I suppose.

These meal aren't home cooking, but they aren't horse manure in pretty packaging either. It really shouldn't be all that surprising that some people like them and some don't. It's still food after all even if some people don't like it.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #499
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
I'm not good on the taste of processed food much but I can see the appeal of something when you only have 15 minutes before you have to go out...I used to have the odd microwave pasta for that reason pre LC days even though the rest of my family said they smelled like gym socks:/
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #500
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Tastes are extremely varied! I personally cant stand fast food hamburgers or fries (on taste alone, nothing related to healthfulness).... yet obviously McDonalds and Burger King make millions a year!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #501

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Yeah, It is fascinating. For me especially, for example things like Okra. I can't imagine why anyone would find that weed tasty( The flower is pretty...), but people eat it and ruin whole batches of soup putting in into the recipe. To me okra tastes like snot and boogers, yet others love them. I think it would be better suited as a dried floral arrangement than food.

I love to drink kefir, but other people just see old fermented smelly milk that should be poured down the drain.

Krispy Kreme doughnuts, IMO, shouldn't even be called doughnuts But they sell cases of them all over town all the time. There must be something good about them, I suppose.

These meal aren't home cooking, but they aren't horse manure in pretty packaging either. It really shouldn't be all that surprising that some people like them and some don't. It's still food after all even if some people don't like it.

Love ya girlfriend
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Tastes are extremely varied! I personally cant stand fast food hamburgers or fries (on taste alone, nothing related to healthfulness).... yet obviously McDonalds and Burger King make millions a year!
I KNOW! Right? I'm surprised they both still sell burgers these days. It seems McD's views Subway as competition, but I'd go to Subway for what is basically a salad in a bun than a MdD chicken wrapper whatsit! I do have an occasional whopper cause BF really likes BK, but only with a B1G1F coupon.

I can make a better flavored burger at home.

Now Wendy's does have a nice salad selection, but at $4 for a half salad, I'm gonna start hacking that at home as well.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

Old 03-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
My momma stole my last chicken alfredo meal
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I finally splurged! I got them 2/$7 today! Hubby and I will try them for Easter breakfast
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
For those who's dinner R turning out like hockey pucks, look at the label. These meals are meant to be heated in a 1100 watt microwave, mine is 1550 power. Now that I have adjusted the time on these dinners, they taste much better.

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I was looking at an Atkins brochure/coupon booklet (exp. 12/31/13) I got somewhere and it lists a couple of frozen meal flavors I've never seen mentioned- Lemongrass Chicken & Vegetable Hot Pot and Homestyle Waffle Breakfast (picture shows waffle and sausage). They aren't listed on the Atkins website either. I wonder if they are new and will be coming out soon? Or if they didn't make the cut somehow after the booklet got printed? I still haven't seen the Chili Con Carne in person either.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #508
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I was looking at an Atkins brochure/coupon booklet (exp. 12/31/13) I got somewhere and it lists a couple of frozen meal flavors I've never seen mentioned- Lemongrass Chicken & Vegetable Hot Pot and Homestyle Waffle Breakfast (picture shows waffle and sausage). They aren't listed on the Atkins website either. I wonder if they are new and will be coming out soon? Or if they didn't make the cut somehow after the booklet got printed? I still haven't seen the Chili Con Carne in person either.
Ooooooo, Lemongrass Chicken sounds awesome! I hope it's a new one that will be coming out. I've only seen the Chili at Safeway. Haven't tried it yet, though.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shopgirl
Stats: 255/237/135
WOE: Low Carb / 5:2
Start Date: May 31, 2011
On a day like today, home alone with a nasty head cold, finding the Crustless Chicken Pot Pie in my freezer was a blessing. Warm, easy, and delicious comfort food that kept me low carb when I had been eyeing a can of chicken noodle soup.
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Ok, I did not like the meatloaf at all, but I had the beef/broccoli (merlot?) served with cauliflower rice and it was great! I will definitely eat this again, my husband likes this too.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote